Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Great stuff, that's given me a smile for the whole day :)

Iceman08 and SKATTERBRANE like this.
  2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Yes, I smile every time I review this clip. What a kid she was!

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  3. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

It's funny, but right now there is an auction on eBay selling the Martin guitar that Elvis used in the movie while filming the scene where he sang this. Starting bid 75k in case anyone has a few spare bucks to buy it.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

ahhhhmmm ... probably not lol

Dave112 likes this.
  5. SKATTERBRANE

For $75K I would want a prewar Brazilian rosewood Martin.

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The one-two combo of "When a Boy Like Me Meets a Girl Like You" and "Earth Boy" is the low point of this album for me. The former song is lyrically trite and musically uninteresting. As to the latter... well, I don't think there's any song incorporating pidgin English that doesn't seem really patronizing, and this one is no exception. It's a lightweight, dopey novelty song that in context of the film works better, because Elvis was singing it to and with children. On the album the children are gone and it just becomes one of those recordings that makes Elvis look bad.

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  7. SKATTERBRANE

Well if you get well developed beyond pidgin English, you could become King Creole.

8. mark winstanley

Because Of Love
    Written By :
    Ruth Batchelor & Bob Roberts

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 26-29, 1962 : March 27, 1962. take 6

Because of love is almost a tango, and shows that Elvis will try just about every style. This is a really cool song and manages to meld a tango with an style rock and roll. I think the backing vocals in this track work really well, giving the vocals just enough space, they could perhaps have been mixed slightly lower. For me another great song.

D.B. and NumberEight like this.
  9. mark winstanley

Thanks To The Rolling Sea
    Written By :
    Bob Roberts & Ruth Batchelor

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 26-29, 1962 : March 26, 1962. take 5

I really like this song. We have some pounding drums, that almost sound like a stormy sea. This track is sung and played with a lot of gusto which may be why I find it quite appealing.
    There are definitely some weaker tracks, but on the whole this is a good album.

NumberEight likes this.
  10. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

"Return To Sender" has been a favorite ever since I was a little kid. Just a fun, fun song.

hugh . g. and mark winstanley like this.
  11. mark winstanley

same here

artfromtex likes this.
  12. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

This song has been in my head all day. One hell of a vocal by Elvis. Those funky little modal changes make it hard to stay on pitch. Of course, he nails it. It is also impressive that he did this with a dry vocal. I guess they had to record him that way because the decay of any type of reverb would have been out of tune with those quick tonal shifts. It really puts Elvis' vocal on an island. (No pun intended)

RSteven, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  13. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Someone (I want to say it was Dave Marsh?) once said that speaking of Elvis music in terms of genres was somewhat misleading, because in the end, it was all "Elvis music." The first four songs on side 2 of the Girls! Girls! Girls! soundtrack illustrate that quite well, imo. On a purely musical level they're all over the map, but they're tied together and given a certain coherency by the fact that Elvis sings them all with conviction and treats them as if they're not as disparate as they might appear.

Because Of Love has a wonderfully catchy melody and some corny lyrics that stick in my head and inexplicably make me smile ("And life's as sweet as cherry cream pie" - it takes a truly talented vocalist to sell a line like that!). Thanks To The Rolling Sea is equally fun, and the (almost) a cappella version on the Elvis Aron Presley set offers an interesting alternative.

I'm glad that Elvis recorded the various soundtrack novelties. It might be blasphemous to say, but I actually think that his catalogue is richer for including oddities like these two songs. Great Art they may not be, but they're a lot of fun to listen to.

14. mark winstanley

Song Of The Shrimp
    This is probably one of the most unusual songs Elvis ever sang ... Essentially we have a baby Shrimp singing about being excited about being caught by a Louisiana Shrimp boat and eaten ...
    Anyhow.
    Musically this is a great song. We start with a solo acoustic guitar with Elvis laying one of his smoothest vocals for this record down. The song gets a bit of a South American rhythm going and the music stays top class and the Shrimp keeps singing about how excited he is to be eaten :)

15. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

My interpretation of the song is a bit different. I don't think the shrimp knows that he's to be eaten. Rather, he thinks he's going to be put up in a grand hotel. Almost like Boxer in Animal Farm...

Anyway, I love the song in all its strangeness. I wonder if it might enjoy a better reputation today had it been given a different title.

NumberEight and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mark winstanley

yea I guess I take it to it's logical conclusion. I suppose with that interpretation it has a slightly ominous feel lol

17. SKATTERBRANE

Yeah the song is like a lure (pun) of Hollywood in promise of fame and riches, but you end up a waitress/prostitute in real life.

But it is one of the better songs on the album. I never skip it.

18. Elvis sings a sea chanty - what's not to like? :)

19. Oddly enough, the song and a clip from the film was used in a 1998 Pizza Hut commercial:

20. mark winstanley

Christmas 1962

[​IMG]

21. mark winstanley

22. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Absolutely. Lewis Carroll’s poem The Walrus and the Carpenter is very much along the same lines (except that the shellfish are oysters!), and may well have inspired Song of the Shrimp. Like the shrimp, the oysters, too, don’t know that they’re going to be eaten until it’s too late.

The Walrus and the Carpenter - Wikisource, the free online library

23. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

It's a rare thing that I listen to this but every time that I do, I think of Mister Moonlight by The Beatles and vice versa. I've often thought that a carefully edited mashup mix of the two sings would be cool.

24. mark winstanley

The Walls Have Ears
    Written By :
    Roy C. Bennett & Bob Roberts

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 26-29, 1962 : March 27, 1962. take 12

Here we have a tango, done in convincing fashion. There is a nice feel and sound about this song and some cool guitar. I reckon this is another really good song. To me this is a good album.

25. mark winstanley

We're Coming In Loaded
    A very cool song that has a really cool vocal in the chorus. This track has a blues type feel even if it isn't traditional blues. It's an incredibly short track though.
    As I say, on the whole in spit a few flaws, this is, to me, a really good album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.