Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Cotton Candy Land and A World Of Our Own are two more pleasant tracks that I enjoy when they're on, but I never seek them out on their own. Conversely, I very much love How Would You Like To Be? and Happy Ending. As with Take Me To The Fair, they have an air of innocent whimsy that always makes me happy. The second disc of the Elvis For Everyone FTD is a personal favourite of mine, as it includes early takes of these two songs, along with many other early-60s goodies.

Re: The Lost Album, it's quite a fine selection of songs, but I don't think it holds together as an album quite as well as EIB!, SFE, or Pot Luck (despite several fine sequencing attempts, between the original CD release and the Elvis Sings Memphis, TN FTD). I also sort of like having the "bonus tracks" on the various soundtrack albums, just for the added variety...

Re: The Searcher, I found it enjoyable yet somewhat dry. Sometimes it took itself too seriously, which I suppose is a necessary response to the caricatured portrait of Elvis that's been pervasive over many decades, but there weren't many moments where I thought to myself, "Yes! This is why I love Elvis!" It just wasn't emotional enough for my tastes. Apart from that, the constant flashbacks/flash-forwards to the Comeback Special made a certain kind of sense to me as a hardcore fan, but they were confusing to the non-hardcore fan that I watched it with.

django5722 and mark winstanley like this.
  2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

The Searcher was okay but hardly revelatory. I did not learn anything.

3. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

That sums it up, pretty much!

django5722 and mark winstanley like this.
  4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If you’re already a big Elvis fan, you’re not going to learn anything new from The Searcher. My issue with it is that it was too short, and skimmed over periods such as the From Elvis In Memphis era that deserved more attention.

5. django5722

django5722 Well-Known Member

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm so glad you mentioned the 2-cd FTD extended release of ELVIS FOR EVERYONE. I always had a soft spot for the original LP, but this FTD set is a must-own for anyone who loves the early 60's Elvis with the inclusion of the songs that "could have" been included on the original ELVIS FOR EVERYONE album (using the self-imposed criteria RCA was using) and also a full 23-track second CD of unfamiliar takes of early 60's material, including takes of two songs from WORLD'S FAIR, "Happy Ending" and "How Would You Like To Be." This 2-cd set was on all the time here the first year after it came out, and I still play it often. I just acquired the VIVA LAS VEGAS SESSIONS 3-cd FTD set, and I look forward to exploring that in depth in the coming weeks.

ELVIS FOR EVERYONE has never had a great reputation outside serious Elvis listeners because it was such an odds'n'sods throw-together, but I always felt that if you wanted to make the case for Elvis as a total performer ("I Sing All Kinds"), this LP did it. I can remember making cassette copies of the LP back in the 70's and 80's for people to try to get them into Elvis more by playing them unfamiliar material. I actually bought a few extra copies of THE LOST ALBUM when I would see it used cheap and would give them to people as gifts--people who "liked" Elvis or felt favorable toward him, but did not really know his work beyond the dozen best-known tunes. They were impressed by getting a full album of material that was for the most part new to them, and it helped in making the case that Elvis really had an excellent back catalogue full of gems, and gems that were quite diverse.

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

django5722 likes this.
  7. mark winstanley

"(You're the) Devil in Disguise"
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Written By :

Bill Giant, Bernie Baum & Florence Kaye

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, May 26-28, 1963: May 26, 1963. take 6

Single by Elvis Presley
    B-side
    "Please Don't Drag That String Around"
    Released June 1963
    Format 7"
    Recorded May 26, 1963, RCA Studios, Nashville, Tennessee
    Genre Rock and roll
    Length 2:17
    Label RCA
    Songwriter(s) Bill Giant, Bernie Baum, Florence Kaye

Music video
    "(You're the) Devil in Disguise" (audio) on YouTube
    "(You're the) Devil in Disguise" is a 1963 single by Elvis Presley which was written by the songwriters Bill Giant, Bernie Baum and Florence Kaye. It was published by Elvis Presley Music in June 1963. This song peaked at number three in the US on the Billboard singles chart on August 10, 1963 and number nine on the Billboard Rhythm and Blues singles chart, becoming his last top ten single on the Rhythm and Blues charts.[1] The single was certified "Gold" by the RIAA for sales in excess of 500,000 units in the US. The song also topped Japan's Utamatic record chart in the fall of 1963.[citation needed]

In 1963, when the song was debuted to a British audience on the BBC television show Juke Box Jury, the celebrity guest John Lennon voted the song "a miss" stating on the new song that Elvis Presley was "like Bing Crosby now". The song went on to reach number 1 in the UK for a single week.[2]

Bill Porter originally recorded the song for Presley on May 26, 1963, at RCA Studios in Nashville. "(You're the) Devil in Disguise" and its flipside, "Please Don't Drag That String Around", was recorded for a full-length album that was scheduled for release in 1963, but RCA chose instead to release the album piecemeal on singles and as soundtrack album bonus tracks.[3]

Bass singer Ray Walker, of the gospel vocal group the Jordanaires (who also worked as Presley's backing vocalists for much of his career), is featured in the song, singing the repeated phrase, "Oh, yes, you are," before the song's fade.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    This is one of my favourite singles of all time, by anyone. It is probably one of the earliest songs I can think of with the temp and feel change, and it is done so smoothly and is totally connected to the context of the song. It is quite brilliant.
    For some reason in my head I have always associated this song with the Viva Las Vegas movie, although I have never seen the movie, and to the best of my knowledge has nothing to do with it. .... weird.
    I like the little starting chord sequence. I love the palm muted arpeggios during the verse and the we get the big chorus. The little stuttered guitar note between sections is perfect. This may well be one of THE most prefect singles of all time. We also get a really nice lead break.
    One of the high water marks of Elvis' career for me, ironically in the midst of a period that most say is dreck.

8. mark winstanley

Please Don't Drag That String
    Written By :
    Otis Blackwell & Winfield Scott

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, May 26-28, 1963: May 26, 1963. take 6
    This is a cool little rock and roll song, but it isn't a favourite. A very good b-side.

Iceman08 and django5722 like this.
  9. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

First Elvis record my brother and I ever bought.

And you’re spot on about why it’s such a good record.

Lennon’s entitled to his opinion:
    “And I don’t like the double beat—boom-cha boom-cha—that bit. It’s awful.”
    But I don’t feel that way at all.

RSteven, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  10. NumberEight

I always thought this was a pretty silly title, but now I see the song as one of the strongest to come out of the May 1963 session.

Revelator and mark winstanley like this.
  11. SKATTERBRANE

The single that was to proceed For The Asking album that never came to be. My mom was an Elvis fan from day one. I hear a LOT of Elvis in the womb. My mom had some singles and Elvis Golden Records and GI Blues LPs. I do not recall hearing Elvis on the radio much when I was young. I do remember hearing Buddy Holley. This is the ONLY Elvis song I remember hearing on the radio until US Male came out.

Anyway, after having typically spending my allowance on Marvel (and only Marvel) comic books. The year I turned 12 it dawned on my I could be buying records instead. So, I went to the department store and started thumbing through the Elvis section. I thought the Gold Records LPs would be the best place for me to start. Since mom already had volume 1, I ruled that one out for now. I did not even recognize a single song from volume 2. I knew and liked Stuck On You and Fame And Fortune from volume 3 (my mom had the single), but it was Devil In Disguise that prompted me to buy volume 4 first. It turned out that volume 4 was a brand new release. I got it for $2.44 because the cashier misread the price tag of $3.44 (I knew when to keep my mouth shut). I soon had volume 2 and volume 3 in the next few weeks. And by the time 1970 came along, I had ALL his LPs up to date.

I guess $2.44 would have been the price for the mono version. So maybe the cashier was used to ringing up $2.44 for the mono LPs that had a $3.98 list price. The stereo LPs had a $4.98 list price. Not that it mattered to me, but the mono version of volume 4 became a significant collector's item, though not as much as the mono Speedway album became.

12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

You say everything I would want to say about this fantastic single by Elvis. It is sheer ear candy too as a lot is going on in a short amount of time, and Elvis once agains transitions from tenor to baritone so effortlessly. I so dig the bass voice coming in at the end of the song as well.

mark winstanley likes this.
  13. Devil In Disguise is a great song, but I tend to skip it these days as I've just heard it too much. The b-side however has not worn out its welcome and I quite enjoy it - it's one of those seemingly effortless performances by not only Elvis but the fantastic musicians too.

14. SKATTERBRANE

Love this movie.

Brian Mc, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  15. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

My kids and I love that movie and without a doubt it helped Elvis's music reach another whole new generation. If we could just get some fantastic and popular actor to star in that proposed biography of Elvis, it might help Elvis to reach another whole new generation once again.

16. mark winstanley

That's a role that not many could pull off. Elvis Was a unique fellow

Iceman08, Brian Mc and RSteven like this.
  17. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Man that would be a fun one to pose to Elvis fans on this thread, not to derail this fine thread of yours, but what actor would you caste to play Elvis in his biographical movie or do you need several to play Elvis at different stages?

18. mark winstanley

Hard call ... Most I know that could act it well don't look right, any that close to looking right, I don't know if they could act it ... daunting challenge

RSteven likes this.
  19. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

I prefer it to the A-side, to be honest. "Devil in the Disguise" is a fun, catchy track, but doesn't rock quite as hard as it should. "String" is more of swinger and has the right amount of bounce. In some parts Elvis's vocal is playful and worried at the same time. That sort of emotional complexity is among the reasons why he was a great singer.

20. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

(You're The) Devil In Disguise was one of the Elvis songs that really hit me on first listen (via the 30 #1 Hits comp), but I have to admit that I don't love it quite as much as I used to (I still dig it, but it's not a favourite, the way it used to be). Honestly, these days I prefer the Trisha Yearwood version, which I actually think is more exciting and dynamic than the Elvis version (blasphemy much?).

Please Don't Drag That String Around is a catchy little number, and it fits nicely alongside Elvis' other early-60s lite-pop-rock songs. Lyrically and musically, it wouldn't be out of place on the soundtracks, although the production/arrangement are perhaps a bit too polished for the Hollywood films.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mark winstanley

ELVIS GOLDEN RECORDS VOLUME 3 (LP)
    (US) RCA LSP / LPM 2765
    Released: August 12, 1963

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Side 1
    It's Now Or Never
    Stuck On You
    Fame And Fortune
    I Gotta Know
    Surrender
    I Feel So Bad

Side 2
    Are You Lonesome Tonight
    His Latest Flame
    Little Sister
    Good Luck Charm
    Anything That's Part Of You
    She's Not You

The album was originally released as a mono and stereo LP record and was reissued several times on compact disc. It peaked at number three on the Billboard Top Pop Albums chart. The album was certified Gold on November 1, 1966, and Platinum on March 27, 1992, by the Recording Industry Association of America.[2]

Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker, envisioned a marketing strategy of alternating soundtrack albums with independent studio recordings, accompanied by singles.[3] By mid-1963, Presley's studio albums had struggled while the soundtrack albums had all done brisk business. Sessions in late May had failed to produce material cohesive enough for a regular album, those tracks surfacing on singles and pell-mell on soundtracks and the Elvis for Everyone compilation.[4]The immediate solution was another compilation of hit singles, the sales numbers proving the success of this interim strategy.[5]

Golden Records Volume 3 comprises eight Top Five A-sides along with four b-sides which also made the Top 40, "Fame and Fortune", "I Gotta Know", "Little Sister", and "Anything That's Part of You". Five A-Sides, "Stuck on You", "It's Now or Never", "Are You Lonesome Tonight?", "Surrender", and "Good Luck Charm" went to #1. "It's Now or Never" had been adapted from the 1898 Neapolitan song "O Sole Mio," and "Are You Lonesome Tonight", a ballad from 1926, had been a rare request from Parker to Presley for Parker's wife.[6] As with the other titles in the series, all singles in this compilation are certified by the RIAA as attaining gold status with sales of at least 500,000 copies.

Original recordings produced by Steve Sholes, Joseph Lilley, Chet Atkins, Urban Thielmann, Jeff Alexander, and Hans J. Salter.

1997 Reissue bonus tracks
    Tracks 1-12 are from the original album
    No. Song Title Writer(s) Recorded Catalogue Release Date Chart Peak Length
    13. "Wild in the Country" George Weiss, Hugo Peretti, Luigi Creatore November 7, 1960 47-7880b May 2, 1961 26 1:52
    14. "Wooden Heart" George Wise, Weisman April 28, 1960 LSP 2256 (G.I. Blues) October 1, 1960 — 2:02
    15. "The Girl of My Best Friend" Beverly Ross, Sam Bobrick April 3, 1960 LSP 2231 (Elvis Is Back!) April 8, 1960 — 2:21
    16. "Follow That Dream" George Wise, Ben Weisman July 2, 1961 EPA 4368 (Follow That Dream) April 1, 1962 15 1:37
    17. "King of the Whole Wide World" Ruth Batchelor, Bob Roberts October 27, 1961 EPA 4371 (Kid Galahad) August 1, 1962 30 2:06
    18. "Can't Help Falling In Love" George Weiss, Hugo Peretti, Luigi Creatore March 23, 1961 47-7968 November 22, 1961 2 2:59

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thee isn't too much to say here really, all Elvis' Golden Records albums are essential purchases for anyone who likes Elvis.

Side one
    No.
    Z Song Title Writer(s) Recorded Catalogue Release Date Chart Peak Length
    1. "It's Now or Never" Eduardo di Capua, Aaron Schroeder, Wally Gold April 3, 1960 47-7777 July 5, 1960 1 3:15 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    2. "Stuck on You" Aaron Schroeder, S. Leslie McFarland March 20, 1960 47-7740 March 23, 1960 1 2:18 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    3. "Fame and Fortune" Fred Wise, Ben Weisman March 20, 1960 47-7740b March 23, 1960 17 2:30 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    4. "I Gotta Know" Paul Evans, Matt Williams April 3, 1960 47-7810b November 1, 1960 20 2:15 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    5. "Surrender" Doc Pomus, Mort Shuman October 30, 1960 47-7850 February 7, 1961 1 1:52 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    6. "I Feel So Bad" Chuck Willis March 12, 1961 47-7880 May 2, 1961 5 2:54 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Side two
    No.
    Song Title Writer(s) Recorded Catalogue Release Date Chart Peak Length
    1. "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" Lou Handman, Roy Turk April 3, 1960 47-7810 November 1, 1960 1 3:05 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    2. "(Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame" Doc Pomus, Mort Shuman June 25, 1961 47-7908 August 8, 1961 4 2:08 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    3. "Little Sister" Doc Pomus, Mort Shuman June 25, 1961 47-7908b August 8, 1961 5 2:31 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    4. "Good Luck Charm" Aaron Schroeder, Wally Gold October 15, 1961 47-7992 February 27, 1962 1 2:24 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    5. "Anything That's Part of You" Don Robertson October 15, 1961 47-7992b February 27, 1962 31 2:05 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    6. "She's Not You" Doc Pomus, Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller March 19, 1962 47-8041 July 17, 1962 5 2:08 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

For those wanting to go back and look at the singles, that is what the link is for.

Just look at those chart positions (bold and large for ease) ... I reckon anyone releasing their third best of would be pretty pleased with five number ones ... every song top forty (a good portion of them b-sides) and eleven out of twelve songs top twenty ... In the music world as I understand it, that's pretty remarkable.
    So much for Elvis being thought of as a joke in the sixties. Sure he has a bad year or two ahead in the not too distant future, but he will have been topping the charts of the industry for ten years + by that time ... is that really some kind of black mark against his credibility as a recording artist?

RSteven and SKATTERBRANE like this.
  22. SKATTERBRANE

Golden V3 originally had a large booklet included as a bonus. I love this album, the second one I ever bought with my own money. It contains all the hits from the Bill Porter engineered sessions.

Back in the day I only had my mom's cheap record player. Are You Lonesome tonight has some nearly sub sonic rumbling in the recording in various places which caused the needle to skip. I must have exchanged this record 5 or 6 times because I thought it was defective.

Later when I got a decent component stereo that could track this, I heard WHY my mom's cheapo stereo skipped on this track. Some of the most recent CDs have a lot of this rumbling filtered out. But earlier CDs still have it intact. It makes my subwoofers pump a bit.

I actually prefer this over any other Gold Records volume, including the 1st one. This is the Elvis sound I grew up with. It was MY generation's Elvis. (the 50s was my mom's generation Elvis).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  23. NumberEight

You probably can’t see this on your computer, but the front cover image is missing. Thought you might like to know!

24. mark winstanley

.... I can see it?

Anyhow here's another

[​IMG]

RSteven and NumberEight like this.
  25. NumberEight

That’s the one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.