Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Nothing to do with her voice. She sings it fine

RSteven and alexpop like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Oh well sorted then. :)

Dave Hoos and RSteven like this.
  3. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Well, I will try to split the difference one more time as I see where both of you are coming from. I think that Elvis's timbre and sultriness is palpable and that last bit of drumming on the final verse of Elvis's version is fantastic, but I dig Peggy Lee's laid-back phrasing and intonation. I think it is two truly great artists delivering the goods in spades with that they do best.

mark winstanley and alexpop like this.
  4. alexpop

Excellent analogy. Need to get a cup ☕️ of coffee as I've just woke up, luckily no fever. :D

5. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

I like Elvis Is Back, but I was still a bit disappointed when I first heard it, as I'd read it was his best LP. I think that all of the songs are quality material, which might be why it has a good reputation -- there's no filler -- but at the same time it doesn't have any huge "highs" either, since all of those were saved for singles. So we have an LP where the sum is greater than the parts, but it's not where I would start to show the best Elvis can do.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Those are some fair points, although I so truly love this album. I do know that more than a few Elvis fans have speculated that this album would have been a lot bigger commercial success, if it had included some of his iconic hit singles that were later included in the great Legacy edition of this truly great album.

alexpop and mark winstanley like this.
  7. alexpop

Yes! Always felt Elvis got slighted when he came out of the army by The Beatles, guess they prefered his rockin 50's music.

RSteven likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

Yea i reckon it's great.
    I understand completely that perhaps, in some folks minds the singles would have bolstered it.
    For me
    Fever
    Dirty dirty feeling
    Such a night
    It feels do right
    Like a baby
    Are real stand outs
    But there's not a bad track on it.

9. alexpop

Good observation. In some ways it's a bit overrated now.Maybe it's a case of reconsider baby. :)

10. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

You are doing a fantastic job. We can always go backwards to discuss something. Just keep doing what you're doing. The pictures, videos, etc. These threads will have legs. :righton:

Dave Hoos, RSteven, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  11. alexpop

Pictures, Videos?
    Great thread, subject matter.
    Agree.

Dave Hoos, RSteven and artfromtex like this.
  12. mark winstanley

Possibly by Elvis fans, but not by anyone else

13. mark winstanley

Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

there's part one - the fifties.
    I have only just started the sixties. We're still three years before the Beatles made a record.
    I have been really busy at work so I have lapsed slightly in detail.

alexpop likes this.
  14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Elvis' first two albums were neither hits collections nor soundtracks. They were arguably just as much "proper albums" as Elvis is Back.

15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I disagree vehemently, because Elvis is Back contains my all-time favorite Elvis recording, period: Such a Night. I'll talk about it more when we come to it in sequence, but to me it's the single best thing he ever did.

16. mark winstanley

it's great isn't it

17. mark winstanley

cheers mate

artfromtex likes this.
  18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

There likely would have been horns on it if they'd used it in King Creole. Of course, they eventually did wind up overdubbing horns for the Tickle Me version of the song. I imagine the song would have been given a dramatically different production number in King Creole than it got here:

19. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I agree. To be honest, I've never been a huge fan of the song in the first place, but if I'm going to listen to it, I'm going for the Elvis version every time (OK, maybe one time out of a hundred I'll reach for the version Bob Dylan did in 1980, which is based on Little Willie John's version rather than Peggy Lee's).

I have a set called Made Famous By Elvis, and it has pretty much every non-original song he recorded up through the early sixties, juxtaposed with the "original" version (in reality, it's the version that the compilers felt that Elvis was familiar with; in some cases, multiple versions are included). In 95% of the cases, Elvis completely blows the original version out of the water. He had an effortless way of singing, as well as an incredible gift for making even the dumbest or most contrived song sound sincere. Peggy Lee may have had better phrasing on her version of Fever, but she doesn't hold my interest the way Elvis does.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  20. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Interestingly, I feel that way about From Elvis In Memphis! There I feel that the best material ended up on the singles, whilst on Elvis Is Back! I think that they mostly made the right calls as far as including the strongest material on the album (the singles are more commercial, of course, but they've lost a lot of their luster for me over the years; in contrast, I love much of Elvis Is Back! more today than I did when I first heard it).

mark winstanley likes this.
  21. mark winstanley

Thrill Of Your Love
    Written By :
    Stan Kesler

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, April 3-4, 1960 : April 4, 1960. take 3

Songwriter(s) Stan Kesler
    Producer(s) Steve Sholes, Chet Atkins, Elvis Presley
    Thrill of Your Love is a song written by Stan Kesler and recorded by Elvis Presley in 1960 for his first post-army album Elvis Is Back!. It was first recorded by Carl McVoy in 1958 under the title "A Woman's Love." His version remained unissued at the time, but has since appeared on compilations.[1]
    -------------------------
    As a ballad this track sort of struts. We don't have a lilting, sweet sleepy tune here. The drums have a bit of a swing. The piano is bouncy and verbose. We still have the sweet backing of the Jordanaires and Elvis singing more smoothly the fifteen feet of fresh fallen snow, but the song struts.
    It's a good song, and it is arranged very well, but am not familiar with any other versions

RSteven likes this.
  22. mark winstanley

Soldier Boy
    Written By :
    David Jones & Theodore Williams, Jr.

Recorded :
    RCA's Studio B, Nashville, March 20, 1960: March 20, 1960. take 15

There are a couple of songs on here that lyrically take advantage of Elvis' army years. Obviously Soldier boy and also I will be home again.
    This track is more of the lilting ballad and yet still has a little bit of a swing and bounce to it. This track really shows how far Elvis' voice had come since the fifties. We have smooth highs and then lows previously unexplored, more note bending control and a smoother vibrato.
    Another good song, it goes without saying

Dave112 likes this.
  23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

This last statement is so true and bears repeating as this fact is often overlooked by music critics and even some fans. I would say it also remained true for the rest of his career. I can count on about a single hand, the times when an Elvis cover of a song was inferior to the original. I think of his later cover versions of Any Day Now, Long Black Limousine, You Don't have To Say You Love Me (Okay I give Dusty a slight edge here), The Wonder Of You, Always On My Mind, It's Impossible, I've Lost You, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Rags To Riches (The live version), My Way ( I call that one a tie between Mr. Sinatra's and Elvis's live version), My Boy, Promised Land, I Can Help, Hurt and Danny Boy, when Elvis's versions almost always blows the original versions out of the water or at the very least gives it a run for their money. Elvis's interpretive skills were every bit as powerful and creative as Frank Sinatra's was in re-interpreting The Great American Songbook, which someone as astute as B. B. King famously noted in an interview.

24. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

The fun thing about the "King Creole" FTD was that it finally validated years of rumors that "Dirty, Dirty Feeling" had been submitted for the picture. As I recall little to no substantial evidence outside of rumor and speculation surfaced to confirm this until the demo was released.

RSteven, DirkM and mark winstanley like this.
  25. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Thrill Of Your Love - This track really sneaks up on you. I'd probably heard it a few dozen times (between EIB! and the 60s box) before it really hit me. It's one of Elvis' subtler, quieter songs, and it's absolutely gorgeous. But before I use up all of my superlatives...

Solider Boy - This is, without a doubt, my favourite song from EIB! More than that, it's one of my absolute favourite Elvis songs. It always hits me on an emotional level, from the beautiful opening piano notes to Elvis' heartfelt vocal. I even like the Jords on this track (and usually I tend to find them a nuisance). I've been known to play it on repeat for hours. This one's going to my proverbial desert island.

I'm also a big fan of the home recording that's on A Golden Celebration (as a side note, disc 4 of that set is one of my most treasured Elvis CDs). Elvis is a tremendously underrated instrumentalist, and his piano playing on this version perfectly complements his vocal. You know that descending figure that Elvis tends to pull out when he's playing lead (or solo) guitar? He does a similar thing on the piano here, except in this case it tapers upwards, and it's just lovely. I suppose you could say that it's amateurish, but that's part of its charm. I only wish he'd recorded more solo performances in the studio (I can't wait until this thread gets to the 1971 sessions!).

Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.