Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I'm not at my most discerning at the moment but several versions saying they are take 1 popped up before the others. So here is one of those.

Brian Mc likes this.
  2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

One of the best on the album.

Shawn, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  3. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I agree, but I am a total sucker for Don Robertson written songs. My two favorites songs on the whole album are probably Love Me Tonight and this one. Oh, I also dig Bossa Nova Baby as well, but Elvis's gorgeous voice really shines on these two splendid Robertson songs. I also like the Jordaniares background work on I Think I'm Gonna To Like It Here.

Spencer R and mark winstanley like this.
  4. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I agree that AWYWM is a fantastic song and Elvis does an excellent performance with it as he does with most of his recordings. I was just categorizing based on lyrical narrative.

5. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

George Sidney spoke later of how he was forced to cut the film by approx fifteen minutes. I thought I had included the quote in my book, but I just checked and realised I must have edited out the quote about the edit. Not sure why. Stupid move on my part. IIRC the decision to make the film shorter appeared midway through shooting - but my memory may be playing tricks on me.

As for the wedding scene, publicity shots don't always correspond to what was filmed. They were often just set up for photo opportunities.

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

This is one of my favorite tracks on the album, another that kinda sounds like Elvis is fronting the TJB. This is also one of those cases where the movie version is for some reason a different take than the album track. The album version was recorded on January 22, while the film version was a remake arrangement done the following day. The main differences are the prominent vocal intro by the Amigos and a slightly faster tempo. I prefer this version:

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

Yep. It's no more a thumbs that Bossa Nova Baby is bossa nova!

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

He didn't talk specifically about what was cut, did he? Not only a stupid move (you don't save money cutting footage that's already filmed) but very poorly executed.

9. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Yeah, I figured as much but I still think lyrically it's better than some of your other examples.
    I don't think the 50s or early 60s have many deep lyrics period lol.

10. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

Commentary from Don Robertson:

" 'Marguerita' was written with the Fun In Acapulco script in front of me. In fact that was one of the few times that I purposely researched a style before working on a song. I went down to a Flamenco place on Sunset Boulevard, Hollywood, called 'The Purple Onion' I don't think it's there anymore. They had a troupe of dancers, singers and musicians from Spain, and they were wonderful. God, their spectacular outfits, and the way they tapped out rhythms with their feet and the hand-clapping where they alternated with each other and the flamenco guitar players! It was very exciting. I listened to a whole evening of that music and then went home and worked on 'Marguerita'

"I learned that for Elvis, however I did the demo, there was a good chance that's how they would do the record. If I did one chorus, they did one chorus. And if I wanted more I had to do more on the demo. I think that's why some of those are so short. By the time I got to 'I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here' and 'Marguerita' I knew that if I wanted a certain orchestration and arrangement in the movie I was going to have to lay it out in the demo. I asked the Aberbachs to see if RCA would give me a good budget for those demos so I could go in with an orchestra and vocal group and do them the way I thought they should sound in the movie, if they decided to use them....I wrote the full arrangements on those two songs and hired the best musicians and background singers in the town—Mariachi trumpets, castanets, marimbas and all—and booked time at the RCA studios in Hollywood...They copied my arrangements right down the line, almost note for note."

11. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Yeah some of the tracks were either accomplished in just 1 take (the title track and "Rhumba" immediately come to mind) or after multiple takes they chose the first one as master.

12. mark winstanley

13. mark winstanley

You Can't Say No In Acapulco
    Written By :
    Sid Feller, Dolores Fuller & Lee Morris

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, January 22-24, 1963: January 23, 1963. take 5
    We have a beautiful little song to drink an evening wine to. Laid back, pretty, beautifully arranged, nothing to complain about here.

django5722 and NumberEight like this.
  14. mark winstanley

Guadalajara
    Written By :
    Pepe Guísar

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, January 22-24, 1963: January 23, 1963 & February 27, 1963. splice take 6 and of take 2
    With a big intro with lots of whoopin' and a hollerin', that comes back after each vocal section from Elvis. This is a decent little song, but the whoopin' and a hollerin' seems somewhat out of place on the studio version ... I assume it plays some part in the movie, but it seems a little out of place on the album version here, and it sounds like it was recorded in a different place and mastered at a different volume. It's odd. I know it would be incredibly unlikely, but it seems like this track could use a remix. It sounds somewhat patched together or something. Not the most compelling song on the album, but that could just be my distraction with the odd sound mix.

15. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

"Guadalajara" is a well-known song. You can hear the "whoopin' and hollerin'" in this older popular 1950 version also:

Iceman08, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  16. SKATTERBRANE

I guess Mexicans laugh at Elvis' version because of the accent or pronunciation. Hearing these two side by side, I cannot detect that much difference. Then again, I do not speak Spanish.

17. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here and You Can't Say No In Acapulco are two of Elvis' most attractive "sleeper" tracks. They're a joy to hear, and I frequently get bits of them caught in my head even when I haven't spun the album for quite some time (to clarify, this is a good thing!).

There's No Room To Rhumba... is very silly, but also very fun. My only real complaint is that the track sounds somewhat thin; I wish there were a bit more bass.

There have been rumours (or perhaps just wishful thinking from fans) that Fun In Acapulco may someday receive the same treatment as the "complete" Viva Las Vegas sessions. If so, I'd be first in line to order a copy. Even a track like Guadalajara, which I think is pretty weak, can be entertaining to listen to if I'm in the right mood.

18. mark winstanley

I have had Bossa Nova Baby in my head for about a week now lol ... Wasn't really familiar with it prior to getting these albums :)

artfromtex, RSteven and SKATTERBRANE like this.
  19. SKATTERBRANE

Well that's cool. Bossa Nova Baby is a great song!

20. mark winstanley

Easy reference guide
    1959 home recording
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 23 1960
    Touch Of Gold Vol 3 EP

Mar 23 1960
    Stuck on you Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Fame And Fortune Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 6 1960
    Elvis Is Back
    track 1 Make Me Know It Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Fever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Girl Of My Best Friend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I Will Be Home Again Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Dirty Dirty Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Thrill Of Your Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Soldier Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Such A Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 It Feels So Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Girl Next Door Went a Walkin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Like A Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Reconsider Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 12 1960
    Elvis - Frank Sinatra show

Jul 5 1969

It's Now Or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Mess O' Blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 1 1960
    GI Blues
    track 1 Tonight Is So Right For Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 What's She Really Like Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Frankfort Special Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 GI Blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Pocket Full Of Rainbows Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Shoppin' Around Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Big Boots Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Didja Ever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Blues Suede Shoes (revisited) Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Doin' The Best I Can Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1 1960
    Are You Lonesome Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Live 1972 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    I Gotta Know Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 23 1960
    His Hand In Mine
    track 1 His Hand In Mine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 I;m Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 In My Fathers House Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Milky White Way Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Known Only To Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I Believe In The Man In The Sky Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Joshua Fit The Battle Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 He Knows Just What I Need Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Swing Down Sweet Chariot Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Mansion On the Hilltop Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 If We Never Meet Again Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Working On The Building Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 7 1961
    Surrender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Lonely Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

March 25 1961
    Pearl Harbour Concert - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

April 21 1961
    Flaming star EP
    track 1 Flaming Star Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Summer Kisses Winter Tears Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Are You Lonesome Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 It's Now Or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 2 1961
    I Feel So Bad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Wild In The country Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 19 1961
    Something For Everybody
    track 1 There's Always Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Give Me The Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 It's A Sin Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Sentimental Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Starting today Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Gently Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 I'm Comin' Home Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 In your Arms Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Put The Blame On Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Judy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 I Want You With Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 I Slipped I Stumbled I Fell Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

August 8 1961
    His Latest Flame Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Little Sister Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

October 20 1961
    Blue Hawaii
    track 1 Blue Hawaii Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Almost always True Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Aloha Oe Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 No More Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Can't help Falling in love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Rock a-hoola baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Moonlight Swim Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Ku'uipo Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Ito Eats Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Slicin' Sand Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Hawaiian Sunset Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Beach Boy blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 Island Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 14 Hawaiian Wedding Song Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

November 21 1961
    Can't help falling in Love/Rock-a-Hula Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

February 27 1962
    Good Luck Charm Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Anything That's A Part Of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

April 1962
    Follow That Dream EP
    track 1 Follow That Dream Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Angel Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 What a Wonderful Life Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I'm Not The Marrying Kind Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

June 5 1962
    Pot Luck
    track 1 Kiss Me Quick Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Just For Old Time Sake Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Gonna Get back home Somehow Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 (such an) Easy question Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Steppin' Out Of Line Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I'm Yours Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Something Blue Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Suspicion Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 I Feel That I've Known you Forever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Night Rider Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Fountain Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 That's Someone You Never Forget Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

July 17 1962
    She's Not You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Just Tell her Jim Said Hello Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

August 28 1962
    Kid Galahad EP
    track 1 King Of The Whole Wide World Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 This Is Living Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Riding The Rainbow Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Home Is Where The Heart Is Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 I Got Lucky Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 A Whistling Tune Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

October 2 1962
    Return To Sender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Where Do You Come From Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

November 9 1962
    Girls Girls Girls
    track 1 Girls Girls Girls Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 I Don't Wanna Be Tied Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Where Do you Come From Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I Don't Want To Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 We'll Be Together Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 A Boy Like Me, A girl Like You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Earth Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Return To Sender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Because Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Thanks To The Rolling Sea Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Song Of The Shrimp Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 The Walls Have Ears Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 We're Coming in Loaded Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

January 29 1963
    One Broken Heart For Sale Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    They Remind Me too Much of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

April 10 1963
    It happened At The World's Fair
    track 1 Beyond The bend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Relax Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Take Me To The Fair Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 They Remind Me Too Much Of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 One Broken Heart For Sale Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I'm falling In love Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Cotton Candy Land Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 World Of Our Own Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 How Would You Like To Be Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Happy ending Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

June 18 1963
    Devil In Disguise Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Please Don't Drag that String Around Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

August 12 1963
    Elvis Golden Records Vol. 3
    1 It's Now or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    2 Stuck on You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    3 Fame and Fortune Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    4 I Gotta Know Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    5 Surrender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    6 I Feel So Bad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    7 Are You Lonesome Tonight? Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    8 (Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    9 Little Sister Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    10 Good Luck Charm Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    11 Anything That's Part of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    12 She's Not You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 1 1963
    Bossa Nova Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    remix Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Witchcraft Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1 1963
    Fun In Acapulco
    track 1 Fun In Acapulco Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Vino, Dinero Y Amor Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Mexico Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    (take 7) a better version Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 El Toro Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Marguerita Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Bullfighter Was A Lady Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 No Room to Rhumba In A Sports Car Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Bossa Nova Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 You Can't Say no In Acapulco Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Guadalajara Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

21. mark winstanley

22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

My wife is Equadorian and says his pronunciation is pretty bad. Regardless, to me the more salient issue is that it's a song that's really ill-suited to his abilities, and hence not a very good track.

"You Can't Say No in Acapulco," on the other hand, is a really nice ballad... One of the better tracks.

23. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

Elvis's Spanish doesn't sound that bad to me either, though I'm not fluent. In any case, he's singing a Spanish song with a Mississippi accent, so the result is bound to sound unusual! I'd like to hear more reactions from Mexicans on this topic. I'd also be interested in hearing how the film was received in Mexico, since at the time Elvis had been the victim of a smear campaign and banned from the airwaves there.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  24. mark winstanley

Love Me Tonight
    Written By :
    Don Robertson

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, May 26-28, 1963: May 27, 1963. take 8
    A piano ballad that somehow was relegated to "bonus track" on this album. To the best of my Knowledge, it has nothing to with the movie, but this song sure did belong on an album somewhere.
    We start with a straight piano and vocal, and both are excellent. Quite literally half way through the the song when the line "love" me tonight comes in, we get an emphatic punch come into the piano and Elvis does that beautiful soaring vocal. The dynamic lowers for the last verse and winds up to the finish. Really good song.

Iceman08, artfromtex, mgb70 and 2 others like this.
  25. mark winstanley

Slowly But Surely
    Written By :
    Ben Weisman & Sid Wayne

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, May 26-28, 1963: May 28, 1963. take 5

Before The Beatles, before The Kinks, before The Who, here we have Scotty Moore playing a very distorted guitar. Guitar distortion started to be a thing in the fifties, but it wasn't a huge thing, I think Rocket 88 was the first well known song to feature distorted guitar.
    Anyhow I was just surprised to hear it so prominently here. It's just essentially a lead line all the way through the song, giving us somewhat of a CCR kind of vibe in the strutting rock and roll song.
    The guitar leads us in and we get a frisky beat with the distorted guitar using basically single notes in the manor of power chords. We also have a guitar just plucking out a more typical riff along with some smacking drums and the Jordanaires filing out the picture with their ahhhhh's.
    We a typically good sixties vocal from Elvis, and a very interesting song to finish the album .... and these last two song are probably actually better than any of the soundtrack songs ... but this is a good soundtrack, so this is probably just about lifted to an essential album.

Iceman08, Dave112, RSteven and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.