Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

One Boy, Two Little Girls
    Written By :
    Bernie Baum, Bill Giant & Florence Kaye

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, September 29-30, and MGM Studios, Culver City, October 10, 1963 : October 10, 1963. take 2

This is a moderate tempo love song singing about a love triangle, and Elvis being in love with two girls. We get a nice little tremolo guitar and the piano playing its gentle little theme. This again is a pretty good little song. It has a certain melancholy and the music is really very appealing. It has a sweet mellow feel that really makes it appealing to me anyhow.

2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

C'mon man, this one needs visuals:

3. mark winstanley

so I see lol

RSteven and artfromtex like this.
  4. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

All four of these songs are catchy little pop ditties, and Elvis still has that beautiful, smooth early-60s voice going for him. I have a lot of time for them. A lot of fans seem to hate Smokey Mountain Boy, but I think it's quite charming. Kissin' Cousins No. 2 is a bit short, but the extra verse in the unedited master is a bit disjointed, so I think they made the right choice in cutting it down.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. SKATTERBRANE

When I was in grade school I had a teacher who was a friend to a Hollywood photographer. She had a huge collection of celebrity photos her friend took. We had a math contest and the winners could choose a photo from her collection. Well, I won and chose the photo below. I was initially denied it because of the images of bikini clad women and I had to get permission from my parents before she would allow me to take my prize. I eventually got it! It set in motion for my preference for bikini clad women to this day!

[​IMG]

I lost the photo because I had slipped it into my Kissin Cousins LP jacket. My entire 1st pressing Elvis Presley LP collection was stolen back in the 80s at the peak of it value. I had all his first pressings, their inserts and in some cases interesting variants. This is one reason I love the 60 CD set "The Album Collection" so much. It brings back a lot of memories with its pretty accurate artwork.

Iceman08, RSteven, Dave112 and 2 others like this.
  6. SKATTERBRANE

Note: I never considered these to be bikinis, but merely two piece swim suits. At such a young age I already had an opinion on how skimpy a swimsuit should be to qualify as a bikini!

7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I am too amazed at how beautiful his voice is even on these "catchy little pop ditties" as you say so well.

Well, I have a confession to make as well. I use to avoid these soundtrack recordings like the plague, except for the obvious singles and well known cuts. I have to say that a lot of members on this board have made me re-evaluate some of the material as I had forgotten how well produced some of the records were and how great Elvis's voice was in the early 1960's mode. Now, I am probably a little bit of an outlier as far as Elvis fans go, because I really become a huge fan of his in the 1970's ( I can hear the gasps from @SKATTERBRANE and @PacificOceanBlue as I write this). Bear with me a second. I was born in 1960 and I did watch his movies growing up when I was a kid as my Mom discovered Elvis very early when he was on the Dorsey Brothers show, but I was too young to really get hooked on his music until later. Damn, somehow I did not get the chance to catch the 68 Special until after he died so that was a huge awakening to say the least when I saw that one.

I was very intrigued by the Aloha From Hawaii concert in 1973, about the same time I DISCOVERED the great Charlie Rich, who ironically ended up steering me towards Elvis by 1975 and 1976. I guess it is usually the other way around in Elvis fandom, but Charlie Rich was my first real music love. So hey, I came to Elvis late and you will understand a little better when I passionately defend some of Elvis's later 70's recordings that a lot of other Elvis enthusiasts cannot appreciate for a variety of reasons. I was blown away by Hurt, My Boy, It's Midnight, Moody Blue and even Unchained Melody. I could not believe the power and vocal range this rock 'n' roll singer brought to these ballads. So there is my confession and here is my deep hearted thanks to everyone who has given me a new perspective on some of the soundtrack recordings!

Now do not misunderstand me, we are about to enter some dreaded times here as Elvis's voice and material are going to suffer greatly through the mid 1960's and except for a song here or there, there is no making a Rolls Royce out of a Pinto, but I am sure I will find a song or two that I can say something nice about. I am an all era's Elvis fan, although I do have my favorite periods as well as recordings I try to avoid.

8. mark winstanley

I too was blown away by Hurt and quite a few of the seventies tracks.
    There is something about Hurt that really hits the ball out of the park for me.
    I am looking forward to the seventies albums. I wasn't when I started the thread, but having given them a good listen I see a lot of value there. There are a couple of lackluster albums, but most of them are very solid.

django5722, Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  9. SKATTERBRANE

As good has Hurt is, Danny Boy is the sublime performance on that album.

Tord, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Elvis's version of Hurt is the song that really made me become such a huge Elvis fan as well as the rest of From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis Tennessee. I so appreciate your very wide and diverse music taste as I know when we get to Elvis's 70's material the Elvis fandom will split in many directions. I am so glad that you are guiding this thread along as you seem to have as much objectivity as anyone that has ever done any critical analysis of Elvis's albums over all the years. You do not seem to have any preconceived views about what is good and what is bad or what the pop music critics tell you should make of the material. It is very refreshing to say the least. For many years, I read the same type of analysis of Elvis 70's material from pop critics, "It's too syrupy and there are too many strings on the recordings," despite the fact that Elvis himself fell in love with that full orchestral sound after working with Billy Goldenberg during the 68 Comeback Special.

Iceman08 and mark winstanley like this.
  11. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

That was the other song I was going to mention that just blew me away!

12. mark winstanley

I just call it how I see it. I think Elvis developed his own thing in the seventies ... almost but not quite his own genre, but certainly his own sound. I understand why some folks may not like it, but I think it works for him.
    It's interesting to me that in later decades a lot of people went for that big live band for various tours ... almost an Elvis legacy thing

artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  13. SKATTERBRANE

Dylan and Bowie were both inspired by Elvis' 70s sound.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  14. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Very true Mark, everybody from Justine Timberlake to Adele and even Michael Bublé have brought that full band sound to the live stage for their concerts. I think Elvis really does not get enough credit for creating his own sonic sound with the big band mixed in with a rock 'n' roll rhythm section. I call it the Elvis/Phil Spector road band.

croquetlawns and mark winstanley like this.
  15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I've never seen the film, and I haven't given the album a lot of listens so I just relistened to it. I would say it's easily his worst soundtrack up to this point... the songwriting just nosedives here. Whereas the previous soundtracks had some good stuff mixed in with the mediocre and bad, there's mostly just inferior songs here. The one song that's okay is "Once is Enough" but that really isn't enough. The album doesn't rock, and it also doesn't have any ballads with any kind of mature or thoughtful perspective (the departure of Don Robertson is keenly felt here, as he always was good for at least one ballad that had something of an adult perspective). I think part of the problem is the subject matter... there's a level of Beverly Hillbillies condescension in many of the lyrics here, and also a high degree of corniness. The way it was recorded also contributes to the malaise. Elvis' singing seems casual and lacking in energy, and I suspect singing to backing tracks on the soundstage rather than working with a live band in the studio is a large part of the reason why. On the plus side, it sounds good, which gives it a leg up over the horribly-mixed 1965 soundtracks that are upcoming. Still, it's a really significant decline in quality, and very unfortunately timed as it was hitting the theaters just as the Beatles were hitting the US shores.

16. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

The film is borderline unwatchable. If you thought the soundtrack was corny, the film is like a couple hundred acres of Kansan farmland. For instance, there are gaggles of scantily clad women who troll the mountainside, kidnapping the menfolk so that they can have their way with them and wrangle them up for some marryin'. Lord, its a goofy movie.

17. mark winstanley

Catchin' On Fast
    Written By :
    Bernie Baum, Bill Giant & Florence Kaye

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, September 29-30, and MGM Studios, Culver City, October 10, 1963: October 10, 1963. take 7

This has that groovy late sixties feel, with the horns and the keys giving it a very defined in time sound. This is a cool little song also.
    It seems that this album is one where there isn't really any terrible songs, they just aren't as top notch as we're used to.

18. mark winstanley

19. Thievius

Not bad, but just kinda "there" to fill up space.

20. Thievius

This one I like. Its got something going for it melodically and I can see it getting stuck in my head. Not amazing, but pretty good.

21. mark winstanley

I think that is somewhat the problem with a few of these soundtracks coming up. They aren't terrible so much as a bit "been there, done that". There are a couple of bogus songs, but not really anything sensational to lift us up above the crowd.

RSteven likes this.
  22. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

A lot of people disagree with me on this but I think Elvis could have hanged right in there with The Beatles in the charts. He would have needed to have much better music to record though. Beatlemania would have still swept through but Elvis could have given them some stiff competition. I bought this album (Kissin' Cousins) when I was a kid and passed over the superior in every way "Pot Luck" LP. Normally, I would play a new (to me) Elvis record over and over but I can recall after about 3 plays, I put it away and didn't listen to it again for several years. I could recall "Barefoot Ballad" every time I looked at the cover and just kept flipping through my Elvis albums.

Iceman08, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  23. mark winstanley

I personally have no doubt whatsoever that Elvis could have hung with the Beatles over the period of their existence. I am more surprised that some folks think he couldn't have.
    If Elvis Is Back had received more promotion and a couple of singles had been released from the album, I can't see that we would have had the Blue Hawaii situation. If Something For Everybody had been sequenced in a normal fashion, and again, had a couple of singles released from it, I see no reason why it wouldn't have been a lot bigger.
    I don't want to be constantly harping on Tom Parker, but I just think by this stage of Elvis career he had used up his usefulness and the ball was too big for him to play with.
    I know Elvis wanted to make movies, but I have never heard that he didn't want to make albums, and it seems like the early sixties albums were treated as side projects and the focus went on the soundtracks, due in part to the big sales of soundtrack albums ....
    Hindsight is 20/20 so I guess its easy to sit in forty years later and direct, but nothing they did over the 60-63 period makes any sense to me, and all lead to the 65 bottom out.....
    I find it remarkable that From Elvis In Memphis didn't sell a million copies in the first month of release, and I can only imagine that it didn't due to the damage being done from 63/64 on.

Iceman08, Revelator, Dave112 and 2 others like this.
  24. SKATTERBRANE

Not only that but sales figures for From Elvis In Memphis is only 800K to this day! The reason Tender Feelin' has a great melody is because it is Shenandoah.

25. SKATTERBRANE

Here are the US sales figures for his LPs. The first figure is the initial chart run sales. The second figure is fairly recent total sales:
    (the ones numbered are in the 60CD box)
    1. Elvis Presley (1956) 300K/1.06M
    2. Elvis (1956) 500K/1.04M
    3. Loving You (1957) 350K/750K
    4. Elvis Christmas Album (1957) 200K/3.5M
    5. Elvis' Golden Records (1958) 150K/6.75M
    6. King Creole (1958) 250K/600K
    7. For LP Fans Only (1959) 200K/250K
    8. A Date With Elvis (1959) 175K/250K
    9. Elvis' Gold Records Volume 2 (1959) 100K/1.55M
    10. Elvis Is Back! (1960) 300K/675K
    11. G.I. Blues (1960) 700K/1.625M
    12. His Hand In Mine (1960) 200K/1.525M
    13. Something For Everybody (1961) 300K/600K
    14. Blue Hawaii (1961) 2M/3.175M
    15. Pot Luck (1962) 300K/450K
    16. Girls! Girls! Girls! (1962) 600K/775K
    17. It Happened At The World's Fair (1963) 300K/375K
    18. Elvis' Golden Records Volume 3 (1963) 600K/1.8M
    19. Fun In Acapulco (1963) 300K/425K
    20. Kissin' Cousins (1964) 300K/350K
    21. Roustabout (1964) 450K/625K
    22. Girl Happy (1965) 400K/525K
    23. Elvis For Everyone (1965) 250K/350K
    24. Harum Scarum (1965) 300K/400K
    25. Frankie And Johnny (1966) 250K/1.025M (Pickwick too)
    26. Paradise, Hawaiian Style (1966) 225K/250K
    27. Spinout (1966) 300K/425K
    28. How Great Thou Art (1967) 200K/3.050M
    29. Double Trouble (1967) 200K/250K
    30. Clambake (1967) 175K/215K
    31. Elvis' Gold Records Volume 4 (1968) 350K/800K
    32. Speedway (1968) 175K/220K
    33. Elvis Sings Flaming Star (1968) 500K/1.1M (including Camden)
    34. Elvis (NBC-TV Special) (1968) 500K/1.050M
    35. From Elvis In Memphis (1969) 500K/800K
    36. From Memphis To Vegas/From Vegas To Memphis (2 discs, 1969) 300K/490K
    37. Let's Be Friends (1970) 400K/1.1M
    38. On Stage (1970) 500K/1.1M
    World Wide Gold Award Hits volume 1 150K/700K
    39. Almost In Love (1970) 400K/1.2M
    In Person At The International Hotel 100K/1.025M
    Back In Memphis 100K/175K
    Elvis' Christmas Album 400K/10.05M
    40. That's The Way It Is (1970) 500K/1M
    41. Elvis Country (I'm 10,000 Years Old) (1971) 500K/725K
    You'll Never Walk Alone 200K/3.15M
    42. Love Letters From Elvis (1971) 300K/425K
    43. C'mon Everybody (1971) 100K/750K
    World Wide Gold Award Hits volume 2 50K/130K
    44. I Got Lucky (1971) 100K/1.01M
    45. Elvis Sings The Wonderful World Of Christmas (1971) 200K/3.5M
    46. Elvis Now (1972) 400K/550K
    47. He Touched Me (1972) 200K/1.2M
    Sings Hits From His Movies 130K/1.275M
    48. Elvis: As Recorded At Madison Square Garden (1972) 500K/3.25M
    Burning Love And Hits From His Movies 700K/2.6M
    Separate Ways 300K/1.45M
    49. Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite (2 discs, 1973) 2M/3.325M
    50. Elvis (Fool) (1973) 200K/350K
    51. Raised On Rock (1973) 200K/275K
    A Legendary Performer Volume 1 750K/3M
    52. Good Times (1974) 200K/225K
    53. Elvis: As Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis (1974) 500K/650K
    54. Promised Land (1975) 300K/425K
    Pure Gold 900K/2.25M
    55. Elvis Today (1975) 350K/400K
    A Legendary Performer Volume 2 750K/2.125K
    The Sun Sessions 300K/350K
    56. From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee (1976) 400K/600K
    Welcome To My World 400K/1.4M
    57. Moody Blue (1977) 400K/2.3M
    Elvis In Concert 1.6M

What is surprising is the 50s LPs that did not do very well upon their initial chart run: the two Golden Records and the Christmas Album. Of course these became sales powerhouses over the years.

Iceman08, django5722, Dave112 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.