Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

You do have a good point there!

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

I wish had more to add, but I'm just a newbie when it comes to Elvis. Anyway, I've been enjoying getting everybody's perspective on his discography, and learning things I didn't know before.

3. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Also songs like Three Corn Patches.

mark winstanley and SKATTERBRANE like this.
  4. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

"She had a picture of a cowboy tattooed on her spine, sayin' 'Phoenix, Arizona, 1949!'" Man, that's such a throwaway, meaningless lyric, but it's also fantastic. I don't know why, but everything about that moment (Elvis' singing, the nonsense words, the way the music stops and then starts back up again, the bizarre "Yeah!" that I have to assume is from one of the Jords) just exudes pure joy to me. The rest of Little Egypt ain't bad either, but that's the part I keep coming back to, one of those simple little bits that randomly gets stuck in my head and makes me want to play the album. Love it!

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Huh. I was going by Keith Flynn's book (Ultimate Elvis Volume 2) which lists a September 21 release date for the Roustabout LP. So too does this website. But now that I look, my old 80s-era Elvis Price Guide (by Neil Umphred) lists an October date for mono, November for stereo, just as @SKATTERBRANE said. That makes more sense, given the ads. So Keith Flynn must be wrong...

mark winstanley and Mal like this.
  6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yep, but the signal-to-noise ratio would be much lower.

7. SKATTERBRANE

Anyone can make a mistake. It surprises me that Keith Flynn would however.

Brian Mc and mark winstanley like this.
  8. Yeah the opening two tracks are a good start. Little Egypt is great, and once again those backing vocals help give the song a bit of something extra that push it from being very good to great.

9. It pains me to say this but I was watching Cool As Ice on Rifftrax and I swear this scene was filmed on the same stretch of road that Elvis filmed a scene on in Roustabout:

mark winstanley likes this.
  10. Here’s where Elvis is I think driving on the same road:

Brian Mc, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  11. SKATTERBRANE

Elvis owned Harleys. I wonder why they put him on a Honda? All the world wants to know!

12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I enjoy the FTD

Timmy84 and RSteven like this.
  13. mark winstanley

I am pleased with the folks we have .. I've only done one really populated thread and it seems to get contentious lol
    I appreciate you guys sharing and chatting in such a friendly thoughtful way

RSteven and Shawn like this.
  14. mark winstanley

One of the things about Little Egypt that, to me is so cool is the phrasing and delivery ... frankly I reckon he could just about sing a grocery list and in this instance it would sound cool

15. mark winstanley

I am following the Sergent listings in strict Chronological order. My apologies if they are incorrect

16. mark winstanley

Poison Ivy League
    Written By :
    Bernie Baum, Bill Giant & Florence Kaye

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 2-3, April 29 and May 14, 1964 : March 2, 1964. take 7
    This is a fun little rock and roll song. It seems to have some quite pointed lyrics, even if to someone outside the US with little knowledge of the US school set up the whole Ivy League means very little.

Iceman08 and Jimmy B. like this.
  17. mark winstanley

Hard Knocks
    Written By :
    Joy Byers

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 2-3, April 29 and May 14, 1964 : March 2, 1964. take 11
    Another cool little rock and roll song. I don't remember the premise of the movie, but these songs make it seem like the story line must have been quite good from the wrong side of the tracks, privileged spoiled folks perspective.

Jimmy B. and RSteven like this.
  18. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Your information is correct. Ask Me/Ain't Thar Loving You Baby was released on September 22, 1964. Roustabout was released on October 19, 1964.

Mal and mark winstanley like this.
  19. mark winstanley

Cheers mate :)

20. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Shopping Around? ;)

mark winstanley likes this.
  21. SKATTERBRANE

Not complaining. You are doing a smashup job.

Iceman08, ClausH, DirkM and 2 others like this.
  22. mark winstanley

That's cool mate, just stating my sources for anyone feeling a need to investigate :)

23. SKATTERBRANE

I love the message delivered on Poison Ivy League. Even as a kid I fully understood and could relate to that song. Hard Knocks is somewhat similar.

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  24. django5722

django5722 Well-Known Member

I certainly think so. Elvis's character had a chip on his shoulder in this film, more like some of the 50's characters than the ones in the more frothy 60's films, and teaming his with Barbara Stanwyck was a good idea. Elvis tried harder when presented with a challenge, and having a heavyweight like her I think caused him to bring his A-game to the film. I saw it again a few months ago when it was on TCM, and it holds up well.

25. SKATTERBRANE

Mae West was first offered the Stanwyck role.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.