Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Cool lobby card from my collection.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Carny Town
    Written By :
    Fred Wise & Randy Starr

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 2-3, April 29 and May 14, 1964: March 3, 1964. take 9
    This is obviously Tom Parker's favourite song in the Elvis catalog. This isn't a bad song, but it does sound a little generic and is very obviously a piece of movie incidental music.

RSteven likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

Brian Mc likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

5. mark winstanley

To me the intriguing thing here is, based on our previous discussion, side two is much less of a draw than side one ..... and side two is all single digit takes ... could be a coincidence I guess, but to some degree it seems to show an interest or difficulty factor.

RSteven, NumberEight and Tim 2 like this.
  6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that till you mentioned it. I wonder if the amount of times they were previously recoded/played has anything to do with it.

7. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Subject matter aside, Carney Town is a decent rock song in its structure and delivery. Brand New Day is a great song. And Wheels On My Heals has Elvis yodeling for short bursts.

Shawn, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  8. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Carny Town sounds great coming after It's Carnival Time, and I know it's stupid, but I like that line about "we've got a two-headed cow, and that's no bull." I really can't explain it...

There's A Brand New Day... is, quite simply, one of the most uplifting songs Elvis (or anyone) ever recorded. It's a shame that most of the tapes are missing, because I'd really like to hear the early takes for this one.

The only weak link on the album for me is Wheels On My Heels, which is just an awful, tuneless mess. At least it's over in under 90 seconds!

Brian Mc and mark winstanley like this.
  9. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Its melody is lifted from "This Little Light Of Mine".

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  10. SKATTERBRANE

Damn No wonder it sounds so familiar!

11. mark winstanley

Ahhh ... I was hearing Saints, but this little light makes sense

artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I agree with all these sentiments as Carney Town has a nice up tempo melody and actually some pretty clever lyrics for a movie song. It has some nice piano too and the guitar run at the end sounds fantastic to me as well. I even like the line about "They'll be girls shaking their grass." A little racy for its time no doubt as the writers could have used another rhyming word that would not have been allowed in the picture.

13. The Barefoot Ballad of Roustabout.

Maybe I'm getting less critical as I get older, but I'm re-visiting/listening the albums as this thread progresses and my opinion of the Roustabout album - It's Carnival Time aside - has certainly gotten higher. It's a lot better than I remembered.

artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I still maintain we can't draw any such conclusions without having the outtakes to hear. A huge unknown factor in the cases where there were double-digit takes here is how many of those takes were false starts. Look at an upcoming session... "Adam and Evil" on Spinout. Elvis did 20 takes of that song. So initially one might think, "wow, he was really working hard to perfect it." But in this case we have the outtakes so we can discover the truth: 18 of those 20 takes were false starts caused by Elvis repeatedly making mistakes. Only two takes were complete. So in that case, the number of takes seems to indicate lack of focus or enthusiasm for the song. Since we don't know why there were double digit takes of some of the Roustabout material, or how many were complete, we can't really discern anything about attitude or effort.

15. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Agreed. He did 36 takes of Do Not Disturb (3 complete takes) and 24 takes of Spring Fever (4 complete takes).

16. mark winstanley

For sure. Just something interesting. I notice weird stuff. I think we can safely say side A is the stronger side and he had more takes. As you say, there could be many reasons for that, and I haven't looked up the order the songs were recorded in, so it may just be something to do with getting in the groove, setting up ....
    Phone's ringing ala way down in the Jungle Room lol

RSteven likes this.
  17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I was reading some interviews and came across the answer, from Lance LeGault:
    "I had tried to get Harley bikes for Elvis. I called Harley Davidson up in Milwaukee and they did not even return my calls. So he ended up riding the little Honda 350, which was not Elvis. Elvis rode Harley Davidson motorcycles. And I rode motorcycles with Elvis a great deal."

So it appears they tried to get Harley to provide the bikes for free but when no one returned their calls they went with Honda instead. Funny how times have changed... these days, a company like HD would jump at the chance to have that kind of product placement.

Iceman08, artfromtex, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I also came across this interview with Winfield Scott. He says the reason he and Otis Blackwell's "Roustabout" song was rejected was that Hal Wallis objected to the line about telling the boss to "stick it in his ear." That's pretty ridiculous, since that line is perfectly in keeping with the attitude of Elvis' character. And Scott was the source of the acetate we have of the song.

Iceman08, Revelator, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  19. SKATTERBRANE

So I guess "stick it up his bleeding bum" is totally out of the question, right?

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  20. mark winstanley

Well if Harley had developed that attitude at that stage it's no wonder they just about went under not too much later on. They completely revamped their whole deal ... I think it was the eighties

RSteven likes this.
  21. mark winstanley

You beat me too it but I was leading with an A lol

SKATTERBRANE likes this.
  22. SKATTERBRANE

These days Honda makes a much better "Harley" than Harley ever did.

23. mark winstanley

I always wanted a bike ... in England all my rellies had Norton's and BSA's .... my dear Mother was the nervous type, and I was always a little reckless, so for a change I showed some discretion. Too old to suddenly start riding one now, no experience and I don't bounce the way I used to lol

RSteven likes this.
  24. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Hmm, I remember reading that it was actually taken from Battle Hymn Of The Republic, which seems more accurate to me (though I'm not always very good at detecting similar melodies!).

25. SKATTERBRANE

Never wanted a bike. I like air conditioning and a nice stereo when I drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.