Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Elvis was not in good physical shape from 1965-67, and he looks chubby and/or bloated in most of the films from that era. It's interesting that over the course of his career, his physical shape directly correlates with the quality if his work. I guess it makes sense, because his physical shape represents his overall attitude and enthusiasm, and how much he is feeling challenged creatively.

Iceman08, ClausH, artfromtex and 3 others like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Also if it was pill related, he would have had a compromised respiratory system

Iceman08 and artfromtex like this.
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, they used a 1973 photo on Elvis Today and a 1975 photo on From Elvis Presley Blvd, so there was precedent.

SKATTERBRANE and mark winstanley like this.
  4. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

And a 1963 picture on the back of From Elvis In Memphis. And the list goes on.

Iceman08 and mark winstanley like this.
  5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Unlike the other examples though, that one wasn't to conceal the fact that Elvis had gained weight. If anything, he was in better shape in 1969 than in 1963.

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

That back cover photo should have been the "Suspicious Minds" single sleeve photo.

7. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Sorry for replying so late to this. I must have accidentally turned off notifications for this thread updates. One other film that I would add to the list is Wild In The Country.

8. mark winstanley

Girl Happy
    Written By :
    Doc Pomus & Norman Meade

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, June 10-12 and 15, 1964: June 11, 1964. take 13 spliced with the end of take 4

This is a great little rock and roll song and for me probably the stand out on the album, in spite of the speed issues. (does the FTD have the corrected speeds?)

9. mark winstanley

10. mark winstanley

Spring Fever
    Written By :
    Bernie Baum, Bill Giant & Florence Kaye

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, June 10-12 and 15, 1964: June 11, 1964. take 24

I really enjoy this track as well. It starts like it is going to be a big ballad, and then moves into a cool rock and roll song that bounces along nicely.

Iceman08 likes this.
  11. The title track is a catchy little song, and is an enjoyable listen. Spring Fever's alright, although it doesn't do much for me.

This is going to be a bit of a boring album to review as there just isn't much to a lot of these songs - they're mostly OK but there isn't a lot of substance to grab on to.

12. SKATTERBRANE

Unlike Roustabout, Girl Happy has a very attractive love interest. Not as overtly sexual as Ann Margaret, but Shelley Fabares has a reserved hotness.

13. mark winstanley

lol nice way to say it ... I love a reserved hotness :)

14. mark winstanley

15. SKATTERBRANE

The best kind!

16. mark winstanley

17. mark winstanley

18. mark winstanley

Mary Ann is a pretty lady too .... oh that's right .... movies lol

RSteven likes this.
  19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm not a fan of the title song here. The "chipmunk" version is unlistenable, but even at natural speed it's not so hot. Really dumb lyrics and what sounds like a casual, tossed-off performance by Elvis. I think it's telling that he agreed to the sped-up version. In years past, if he'd felt a song needed to be in a higher key or a faster tempo he would have rerecorded it. The fact that he signed off on a tactic as lazy as speeding it up speaks volumes about his attitude.

It's interesting that at this point the work of Pomus and Shuman (together and separately) really declines. They were one of the best songwriting teams Elvis had in 1960-63, but from here on there's no more "Little Sister"s coming.

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

On the flip side, I quite like Spring Fever. It's not rock and roll, it's more of a lightweight show tune. One could argue whether Elvis should have been doing lightweight show tunes at this point, but it's well-crafted and performed. One of the better songs on the record. I like the duet version... Too bad there's no tape source for it.

Its interesting (and sad, I guess) that the best songs on this record are not rock and roll. All the attempts at rock fall flat..At this point, Elvis seems to have left rock behind, or vice versa.

21. mark winstanley

I'm still Girl Happy lol

22. Is it documented that Elvis approved of the sped-up version? I always assumed it was a mastering error.

23. SKATTERBRANE

I do not know if Elvis approved, but I think it was done on purpose for marketing reasons. I think the movie people had more to do with it than RCA.

24. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Although there is a question of whether Elvis was aware at all of them speeding up his recordings. While he often complained in the later years about mixes and how recordings came out in that process (mastering as well), it's well documented by the engineers he worked with that he had to basically be convinced and invited to listen to a mix/mastering before it was released. About the only record he approved the sound of was the Today album, and that led to plans to record at Creative Workshop which as we all know never came to full fruition.

25. SKATTERBRANE

And just because someone does not voice an objection, does not mean they approve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.