Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Mark, where are we now on this very thread... 1972 or later?

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

We're in 72, about 2/3 through As Recorded At Madison Square Garden.
    Being a live album of songs we have been through we're putting four up a day, but for the majority of the thread we were running two songs a day. The Memphis albums we ran one a day

Dave112, DirkM, RSteven and 1 other person like this.
  3. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Thank you!

PS. Listening to Stax era recordings on vinyl now... Magic!

Spencer R, Shawn, Dave112 and 2 others like this.
  4. mark winstanley

Yea that Stax set is great. I have been really happy with the sessions releases.

Dave112, RSteven and DoF like this.
  5. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I meant albums from that period, now Raised On Rock / For Ol' Times Sake, sorry :) But I digress :)

Shawn, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

Still good :)

Dave112 and DoF like this.
  7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, please jump in. We just started 1972 and we haven't even gotten to Burning Love yet. The more, the merrier!

Dave112, DirkM, DoF and 1 other person like this.
  8. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Thank you ! Need to pull out my copy of Elvis Presley: A Life in Music--The Complete Recording Sessions, to keep the track :pleased:

RSteven, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  9. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Great post. Today is a masterpiece in my book.

10. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Awesome news!!

RSteven, Mylene, DirkM and 2 others like this.
  11. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

If y'all think enjoying the Elvis catalog in real time is a strange and spotty undertaking now. Wait until the posthumous releases. Lol.

Iceman08, Lonesurf, RSteven and 4 others like this.
  12. mark winstanley

I just had a look through them earlier ... I only know a few ... Obviously they are predominantly stuff that has already been released, but the platinum collection looks interesting, the one with the gold cover looks very interesting, and I don't know if I will like it or not but the guitar man remix album looks interesting.
    Then there are those weirdass compilations lol

Iceman08, RSteven, BeatleJWOL and 2 others like this.
  13. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

Having Fun With Elvis on Stage Part Whatever: Well Well Well Well Well Well Well Well Well Well Well Well Well Well

Elvis Sings for Children and Child Molesters

Collectors Fool's Gold: The Biggest Non-Charting Singles

Songs to Get Divorced By: An Elvis Medley

Our Worst Memories of Elvis

The Fool Album (Disco Remix)

Elvis: The Posthumous Recordings (Live From Graceland Cemetery)

Elvis Sings Baum-Giant-Kaye

No Room to Rhumba: The Inessential 60s Masters

Elvis Sings for Castrated Bulls and Other Livestock Too

This Isn't Elvis

Repressed Memories of Christmas

Amazing Disgrace: His Greatest Profanities

Overdubs Like Never Before (All Felton Edition)

Iceman08, RSteven, PepiJean and 2 others like this.
  14. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

If Elvis is on it, it will sell...and to make sure it does, put some unreleased burps from the count in on a track per album for the completist :nauga:

Iceman08, RSteven, Dave112 and 2 others like this.
  15. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

There could be an entire side thread on records that were made to cash in on Elvis' untimely demise. I remember stuff from Orion, J.D Sumner,Ronnie McDowell, I even remember that there was a LP record of a seance that supposedly was with Elvis. Even the Camden releases kept coming??????

16. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Ok Hooperfan, where can I get this? I desperately need to hear that burp in living stereo! Felton Jarvis probably had a version of the burp with a string section overdubb.

Iceman08, Hooperfan, clhboa and 2 others like this.
  17. mark winstanley

An American Trilogy
    The whole concept of this song is a beautiful thing. A song of the North, A song of the South, A song of the slave united as one, as they should be.
    To me this is a better version than the single, except for the somewhat inappropriate "what?". I realise Elvis was probably responding to the girls in the crowd saying/screaming "Elvis?, Elvis?" but it's a bit of a mood breaker.

18. mark winstanley

Funny How Time Slips Away
    I really like this song, but it seems an odd place to put it in the set. We are surrounded by these atmosphere building, intense songs, and then we get this laid back little country track, somewhat standing out like a sore thumb.

Tord and Dave112 like this.
  19. mark winstanley

I Can't Stop Loving You
    Elvis puts in some solid vocals here. One thing I notice here paying a little closer attention to this album is that in the last six or so songs, we have that hint of goofy Elvis, starting to undermine his own material in a sense. It is quirky and neat, in some ways, but it is something that can really distract from the performance at times too. Sometimes I love hearing Elvis goof on a song on stage, and sometimes it ruins the atmosphere, it is a funny dynamic.

Iceman08, Tord, DirkM and 2 others like this.
  20. mark winstanley

Can't Help Falling In Love
    This is another song that, to me, suffers from its inclusion in Elvis' live albums. Much like Love Me Tender, this is one of the kissing songs, and on video you see what's going on, and there is a certain connection to the event via the audiences connection with Elvis on an album, it is merely a halfhearted vocal performance interrupted to some extent. This version isn't too bad actually, but this track closes out 4 of the 5 live albums in a five year period, and it is a little more than is necessary.

Iceman08, Tord, Dave112 and 1 other person like this.
  21. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Agree about the "mood breaker" comment. What is Elvis' best rendition of AN AMERICAN TRILOGY? Can't make up my mind between the version at Hampton Roads (April 9th 1972) and Honolulu (January 14th 1973). Tough decision.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  22. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I'd go for Las Vegas February 16th (?). Love the way he joins in with the backing singers on the middle bit*.
    *Technical term! :D

RSteven, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  23. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  24. mark winstanley

My apologies, well spotted.

My computer kept locking up and shutting down this morning ... It was a frustrating affair, and I forgot all about that, whilst cursing a blue streak lol

Cheers mate

25. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

"Thank you, and good afternoon."

mark winstanley likes this.