Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I think his 1960-1962 voice needs to have it's own separate distinction. I would call that his "Sublime Period". Head and shoulders better than his 50's voice and ability.

2. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

Does anyone know why RCA/Jarvis recorded “Its Impossible” in Vegas 72? This wasn’t one of the “On Tour” shows they recorded and I didn’t know of any other shows they recorded so how did this song come about being recorded?

mark winstanley and Dave112 like this.
  3. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

Good call. I was wondering where I heard “That’s What you get for Loving Me” before I listened to Fool in its entirety when I got the album box. It was indeed the Canadian Tribute album. Mine was a LP on gold wax. Fairly common album in the used stores now.

4. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

That first season in Vegas '72 they recorded a handful of masters including "It's Impossible". Some people think it was for the cancelled "Standing Room Only" LP, but there is no concrete proof of what the content was supposed to be. We only know for sure that an album with that title was planned.

5. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

I agree, he was in strong voice during that session and the resulting LP is a good one. My point was more along the lines that up to the March 71 session, Elvis was always in great voice, despite some of the material. After that session, his voice lost something, became thicker and heavier and it sounds like he found it harder to control.

Despite that, I still enjoy a lot of his music from the 71 - 77 era, namely the Boston 71 gig, 72 up to the summer, a good LP's worth of the two Stax sessions and the March 74 tour and March 75 studio time.

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Don't forget the disco version

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  7. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info!

I always thought the Standing Room Only was
    Going to be based off the shows they recorded that turned into “On Tour” (Richmond, Hampton Roads, San Antonio) I had no idea this Vegas engagement was recorded as well. Thanks!

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Padre
    Written By :
    Jack LaRue, Paul Hebster & Alain Romans

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, May 15-21, 1971: May 15, 1971. splice take 8, end take 11

Once in a 1958 interview Elvis Presley said that "Padre" by Toni Arden was his favorite song.[1][4] He recorded his version on Saturday, May 15, 1971. His recording was released on his 1973 album Elvis ("The Fool").[1]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally don't dislike this track. I wonder if Elvis felt compelled to sing a Father song, as he had sung so many Mother songs. Personally I like the Spanish flavour, I guess it reminds me of a lost Fun In Acapulco track.
    The vocal is good, but there are a couple of sections where it is on the edge. I really like the arrangement though.

Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  9. mark winstanley

I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen
    Written By :
    Thomas P. Westendorf, arranged by Elvis Presley

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, May 15-21, 1971: May 19, 1971. take 1

Written by Thomas P. Westendorf in 1875, this track becomes almost a British standard. I have only previously heard The Fureys version.
    I think this is a very tender and well executed version of the song. Perhaps its styling isn't really what the average Elvis fan wants, but personally this song does a couple of things. It shows Elvis' broad music knowledge to even cover such a song, and it shows, me at least, that his ability to put over a personal, minimalist tune was still very strong. I enjoy this track, and I don't find it to be a weaker song.

10. londonflash

I'm not 100% certain on how much was recorded but there's a cracking FTD release, An American Trilogy, that has the bulk of one (?) gig from this engagement professionally recorded. Bonus cuts are soundboard selections from opening night. Recommended!

11. londonflash

Should also say there's also a few songs from Writing For The King that originate from this stand.

If there's enough material for a further FTD installment, I certainly wouldn't complain.

artfromtex and mark winstanley like this.
  12. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info!

mark winstanley and londonflash like this.
  13. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

During the press conference in September 1958 right before Elvis left for Germany, he said that Toni Arden's Padre was one of his favourite songs.

14. mark winstanley

15. mark winstanley

Reference Guide

Jan 27 1970
    Kentucky Rain/ My Little Friend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Apr 1970
    Lets Be Friends
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 1 Stay Away Joe Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 If I'm A Fool For Loving you Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Lets Be Friends Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Lets Forget About The Stars Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 Mama Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 I'll Be There Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 Almost Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 Change Of Habit Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 Have A Happy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Apr 20 1970
    The Wonder Of You/ Mama Liked the Roses Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

June 1970
    On Stage
    track 1 See See Rider Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 Release Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Sweet Caroline Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Runaway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 The Wonder Of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 Polk Salad Annie Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 Yesterday Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 Proud Mary Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 Walk A Mile In My Shoes Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 Let It Be Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

July 1970
    I've Lost You/ The Next Step Is Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

August 1970
    Worldwide Fifty Gold Award Hits vol 1

August 1970
    Elvis Christmas Album (Camden)

October 1970
    Almost In Love

October 6 1970
    You Don't Have To Say You Love Me/Patch It Up Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

October 1970
    Elvis in Person

October 1970
    Back In Memphis

November 11 1970
    That's The Way It Is
    track 1 I Just Can't Help Believin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 Twenty Days And Twenty Nights Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 How The Web Was Woven Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Patch It Up Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 Mary In The Morning Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 You Don't Have To Say You Love Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 I've Lost You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 Just Pretend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 Stranger In The Crowd Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 11 The Next Step Is Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 12 Bridge Over Troubled Water Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

December 8 1970
    I Don't Really Want To Know/ There Goes My Everything Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

January 7 1971
    Elvis Country (I Was Born 10,000 Years Ago)
    track 1 Snowbird Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 Tomorrow Never Comes Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Little Cabin On the Hill Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Whole Lotta Shakin Going On Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 Funny How Time Slips Away Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 I Really Don't Want To Know Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 There Goes My Everything Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 It's Your Baby, You Rock It Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 The Fool Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 Faded Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 11 I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 12 Make The World Go Away Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

February 23 1971
    Rags To Riches/Where Did They Go Lord Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

March 22 1971
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    track 2 Who Am I Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Let Us Pray Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

March 1971
    Life/Only Believe Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

June 16 1971
    Love Letters From Elvis
    track 1 Love Letters Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 When I'm Over You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 If I Were You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Got My Mojo Working/Keep Your Hands Off It Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 Heart Of Rome Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 Only Believe Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 This Is Our Dance Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 Cindy Cindy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 I'll Never Know Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 It Ain't No Big Thing Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 11 Life Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

June 22 1971
    I'm Leavin/ Heart Of Rome Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

July 1971
    C'mon Everybody

August 1971
    The Other Sides - Worldwide Gold Award Hits Vol. 2

Sept 21 1971
    It's Only Love/The Sound Of Your Cry Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Oct 1971 I Got Lucky Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Oct 20 1971 The Wonderful World Of Christmas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 1 O Come All Ye Faithful Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 The First Noel Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 On a Snowy Christmas Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Winter Wonderland Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 The Wonderful World Of Christmas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 It Won't Seem Like Christmas Without You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 I'll Be Home On Christmas Day Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 It I Get Home On Christmas Day Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 Holly Leaves and Christmas Trees Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 Merry Christmas Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 11 Silver Bells Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Nov 9 1971
    Merry Christmas Baby/ O Come All Ye Faithful Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Jan 4 1972
    Until It's Time For You To Go/ We Can Make The Morning Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Feb 1972 Elvis Now Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 1 Help Me Make It Through The Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 Miracle Of The Rosary Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Hey Jude Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Put Your Hand In The Hand Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 Until It's Time For You To Go Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 We Can Make The Morning Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 Early Morning Rain Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 Sylvia Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 Fools Rush In Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 I Was Born About Ten Thousand Years Ago Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Feb 29 1972
    He Touched Me/ Bosom Of Abraham

April 1 1972 He Touched Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 1 He Touched Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track to
    track 2 I've Got Confidence Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Amazing Grace Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Seeing Is Believing Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 He Is My Everything Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 Bosom Of Abraham Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 An Evening Prayer Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 Lead Me, Guide Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 There Is No God But God Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 Thing Called Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 11 I John Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 12 Reach Out To Jesus Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

MSG press conference and other bits and pieces Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

April 4 1972
    American Trilogy/The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

June 1972 Elvis Sings His Hits From The Movies Vol 1

June 1972 Elvis As Recorded at MSG Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 1 Also Sprach Zarathustra Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 That's Alright Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Proud Mary Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Never Been To Spain Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 You Don't Have To Say You Love Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 Polk Salad Annie Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 Love Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 All Shook up Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 Heartbreak Hotel Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 11 Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 12 Love Me Tender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 13 Impossible Dream Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 14 Hound Dog (+introductions) Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 15 Suspicious Minds Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 16 For The Good Times Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 17 An American Trilogy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 18 Funny How Times Slips Away Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 19 I Can't Stop Loving You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 20 Can't Help Falling In Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 21 End Theme Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies thanks @Pelvis Ressley

August 1 1972
    Burning Love/ It's A Matter Of Time Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

October 1972 BURNING LOVE AND HITS FROM HIS MOVIES, VOLUME 2 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

October 31 1972 (my fourth birthday :))
    Separate Ways/Always On My Mind Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

December 1972 Separate Ways Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Feb 1973 Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    Pt 1 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    Pt 2 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    Pt 3 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    Pt 4 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    Pt 5 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    Pt 6 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Mar 13 1973
    Steamroller Blues/ Fool Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

July 1973 Elvis (Fool) Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 1 Fool Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 Where Do I Go From Here Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Love Me, Love The Life I Lead Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 I'm Still Here Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 It's Impossible Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 For Lovin' Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 Padre Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

16. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I absolutely love Padre. Sure, his voice is strained in parts, but that just makes it more effective for me (similar to the way that New Order had a frantic edge back when Bernard was trying to hit notes that were clearly out of his range; it added a palpable sense of desperation to the music). I'm still haunted by the despair in the way he sings "pray for my love and me." Plus, the arrangement is supurb.

Kathleen is a masterclass performance from Elvis. He perfectly captures all of the song's sad tenderness. The overdubbed strings make the final result even more heartbreaking.

The home recordings from the 50s are just as good in their own different ways. The "fast" version is rather interesting:

17. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

I don't know if i could ever have a fair assessment of I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen. For Me, it will always be linked to the Star Trek episode, "The Naked Time", because of that one crew member who sings it over the intercom over and over and over and over and... You get the idea.

BeatleJWOL, Dave112, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  18. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

Maybe, but this time there'd be little chance of denying it. At the time, the only reference I ever saw to Elvis' odd behavior was in the Enquirer and those type rags. After the book, I think you'd be seeing it in conventional media which would make it harder to debunk with a blast from the stage.

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  19. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

It is Elvis' strained performance that puts Padre in the "no" column for me on this LP. (I had mentioned I like about 1/2 of the recordings on Fool). I'll Take You Home Again, is one of the best performances on this LP. I put it in the "yes" column.

20. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

I agree and was going to post the same.

21. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

This might be my least liked Elvis song of all time. I'd rather listen to Old McDonald.

22. mark winstanley

lol

Dave112 likes this.
  23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Ah, you just nail it for me on this one. Where Elvis's voice seems slightly uninspired and a more than a little strained on Love Me, Love The Life I Lead, his voice is full of passion and raw emotion on Padre, even if he is at or near his vocal break point. As you so well articulate Dirk, "It adds a palpable sense of desperation to the music." I too love the despair and raw power in his voice when he belts out "Please tell me, how such things can be?" The power and range of Elvis's voice on the word "su--ch things can be," almost seems to distort the microphone. It reminds me of when the great Bill Porter said he was sick with the stomach flu on the recording of Surrender during the His Hand In Mind session and he had to keep running to the bathroom to throw up. He said he missed a couple of adjustments on Elvis and there is some slight distortion on his vocal where there should not have been, if you listen closely.

Yeah, I just quote you here for emphasis. You nail it again for me regarding the greatness of this performance.

DirkM, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

One of Star Trek's more humorous episodes.

https://www.youtube.com › watch

25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That's funny, because I have a similar bad association with this song, only mine is from hearing Slim Whitman sing it in one of those ubiquitous TV commercials of his from the 80s.

Dave112, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.