Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Holding something the Mrs bought from the shop lol 2011 i think

Tord, MRamble, When In Rome and 2 others like this.
  2. mark winstanley

[​IMG]
    Well it's not much bigger.
    I hope you don't mind @Matthew

Tord, Shawn, When In Rome and 3 others like this.
  3. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Same here. So very true.

4. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

No wonder EPE won't re-release it.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Not only is it damaging to Elvis’ legacy, which EPE intends to protect, but LMP is protective of her father, and does not want to see him publicly ridiculed. The EIC footage is likely very painful for her, a brutal reminder of what happened to him. And none of that changes that EIC happened and that it is part of the historical record, but again, acknowledging history does not require a party to commercially release a project at retail.

GillyT, ZoSoUK, Dave112 and 6 others like this.
  6. I always thought that it was Elvis On Tour that started all the jump suit parodies.

mark winstanley, PepiJean and RSteven like this.
  7. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I can't watch but for those who can.

8. PacificOceanBlue

It probably started with TTWII, culminating with Aloha (the mannerisms, poses, “thank you very much” commentary, etc.). Then EIC raised it to another level — it ushered in an era of disgusting slobs dressing up as Elvis and promoting unflattering cliches.

9. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Charlie was Elvis' emotional support animal.

10. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Actually, Elvis nudges Charlie to start doing this "act". You can see it at the 2:14 moment (Elvis touches Charlie's hand first):

Tord, MRamble and mark winstanley like this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

Some observers look at it as if Elvis is indicating to Charlie to knock it off and not to go there this time around. Either way, it is telling that Carlie is no where to be found in Rapid City during this song.

And what appalling and extremely sad footage; Elvis is completely stoned. As with much of the show, he keeps his eyes closed, embarrassed and wanting to be anywhere but there, later apologizing to Gary Smith for such an atrocious effort.

12. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

That looked to me like Elvis was just adjusting the mic. Then he gave Charlie an elbow for not having it in the right place. I certainly don't think he was starting any "routine". It always looked silly for me to have Charlie hold the mic, like they couldn't afford a mic stand. Even on Unchained Melody, you couldn't get a mic for the piano?

13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I agree. As harrowing as the 1977 TV special is to watch - and I agree that it is largely to blame for the stereotypes about “fat Elvis” and “the jumpsuit era” - Elvis still somehow achieves moments of transcendence on stage. At a time when he had hit rock bottom in every other aspect of his life, music was still to some degree a safe place he could go to to rise above his problems, even if just for a moment.

GillyT, Shawn, Dave112 and 4 others like this.
  14. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I kid about Charlie Hodge but I have mixed opinions about him. He was a "flunky". I don't think Elvis was really kidding when he said that in the Aloha band introductions. He had been the designated laughing boy and microphone stand since the 1968 special. Charlie could have stood up for himself but chose not to. On the other hand, he once held a place of respect from Elvis. Charlie worked with Elvis while they were in the army to help Elvis expand his vocal range and improve his breathing while singing. That sweet voice on EIB is due to those improvements. He is one of only a few that actually got to record a duet with Elvis in his lifetime (a very cool thing). I know very little about Charlie Hodge except that he had a small theater in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee that hosted an Elvis "and others" tribute show in Charlie's later years.

15. mark winstanley

Teddy Bear/ Don't Be Cruel
    Here we start off pretty well, but about half way through Teddy Bear Elvis sounds like he loses a bit of energy, he gets a little pitchy, and without panting, sounds a little breathless ... The performance seems reasonably enthusiastic, but it is a sub par kind of performance. There are some little improvisational vocalisations, that suggest he was into it, but the vocal suggests, he wasn't quite up to it.
    It isn't awful, but it isn't up to Elvis' standard.

Shawn likes this.
  16. mark winstanley

Elvis Fan Comments II
    I think this is the correct one .... We get these someone pointless interjections, that I assume were supposed to reinforce the love his fans had for him ... I don't know, but it sounds a little pointless and desperate. Anyone with half a clue, even these days, knows that Elvis was hugely popular, even if they don't like him. To think Elvis wasn't one of the biggest things that ever happened to popular music, is merely to be caught in delusion and ignorance.

RSteven, Shawn and croquetlawns like this.
  17. mark winstanley

You Gave Me A Mountain
    For whatever reason, this is one of my favourite Elvis seventies live cuts.
    Here we have a solid and committed performance. Even with a couple of words kind of sung over or through, Elvis is into this.
    Even so you can hear that he is struggling ever so slightly.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    RSteven, Shawn, DirkM and 1 other person like this.
  18. mark winstanley

Jailhouse Rock
    This is a pretty convincing performance actually, and I wasn't expecting it to be.

Shawn, garyt1957, DirkM and 1 other person like this.
  19. mark winstanley

Elvis Fan Comments III
    Again we get these somewhat inane interjections.

Dave112 likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

21. mark winstanley

Reference Guide

May 2 1974

If You Talk In Your Sleep/ Help Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

July 1974
    Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis
    Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 1 See See Rider Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 I Got A Woman/ Amen Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Love Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Tryin' To Get To You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 Medley Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 Why Me Lord Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 How Great Thou Art Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 Blueberry Hill/ I Can't Stop Loving You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 Help Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 An American Trilogy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 11 Let Me Be There Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 12 My Baby Left Me
    track 13 Lawdy Miss Clawdy
    track 14 Can't Help Falling In Love

Oct 1 1974
    Promised Land/It's Midnight

Oct 1974
    Having Fun With Elvis On Stage

Jan 8 1975
    Promised Land

1 Promised Land
    2 There's A Honky Tonk Angel
    3 Help Me
    4 Mr Songman
    5 Love Song Of The Year
    6 It's Midnight
    7 Your Love's Been A Long Time Comin'
    8 If You Talk In Your Sleep
    9 Thinking About You
    10 You Asked Me To

Jan 1975
    My Boy/Thinking About You

Mar 1975
    Pure Gold

Apr 22 1975
    T-R-O-U-B-L-E/Mr Songman

May 7 1975
    Elvis Today

1 Trouble
    2 And I Love You So
    3 Susan When She Tried
    4 Woman Without Love
    5 Shake A Hand
    6 Pieces Of My Life
    7 Fairytale
    8 I Can Help
    9 Bringin' It Back
    10 Green Green Grass Of Home

Sep 24 1975
    Pieces Of My Life/Bringin' It Back Home

Dec 1975
    Double Dynamite

Jan 1976
    Legendary Performer vol 2

Harbor Lights
    Interview - Jay Thompson
    I Want you I Need You I Love You take 15
    Cane and a High Starched Collar
    Award Presentation thanks @ClausH
    Such A Night

Mar 21 1976
    The Sun Sessions

From Elvis Presley Blvd

1 Hurt
    2 Never Again
    3 Blue Eyes Cryin In The Rain
    4 Danny Boy
    5 The Last Farewell
    6 For The Heart
    7 Bitter They Are Harder They Fall
    8 Solitaire
    9 Love Coming Down
    10 I'll Never Fall In Love Again

Nov 1976
    Frankie and Johnny (Pickwick)

Nov 29 1976
    Moody Blue/ She Thinks I Still Care

Mar 1977
    Welcome To My World

June 6 1977
    Way Down/Pledging My Love

July 18 1977
    Moody Blue

1 Unchained Melody
    2 If You Love Me
    3 Little Darlin'
    4 He'll Have To Go
    5 Let Me Be There
    6 Way Down
    7 Pledging My Love
    8 Moody Blue
    9 She Thinks I Still Care
    10 It's Easy For You

The King Is Dead

Oct 3 1977
    Elvis In Concert

Part 1
    Part 2

22. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Elvis' vocal on Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel is pretty bad, but I love the arrangement so much that I'll put up with it. This is one of those songs that I never skip when I listen to an Elvis concert. (Shrug.)

You Gave Me A Mountain is one of the highlights of Elvis' live work, and this is the best of the three big official versions for me (the others being Aloha and the 1972 "master"). Whereas he sounds polite and mannered on the 1972/1973 versions, here he cuts loose a bit more and really conveys the painful melodrama of the lyrics.

I came here fully intending to rip into Jailhouse Rock, but listening to it again, I think I agree with Mark that it's actually pretty convincing, particularly during the first minute. Not a great performance by any means, but an enjoyable enough bit of fluff after the intensity of You Gave Me A Mountain.

RSteven, Shawn, Dave112 and 2 others like this.
  23. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

There’s more emotion in it than In Person... ;)

PepiJean and mark winstanley like this.
  24. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

The original Jailhouse Rock is one of Elvis' greatest recordings. The 68 Special version is pretty good. But the inflection Elvis usually used for "rock" on "let's ROCK, everybody let's ROCK" in the 70s ruins it for me, regardless if the performance is otherwise good or not. He is singing it just like everyone else sings it when it comes to this inflection. It may as well be The Flintstone Theme.

To explain, in the 57 recording he has a downward inflection on the word "rock". In the 70s he does what others do when singing it, with an upward inflection on the first "rock" and a somewhat downward inflection on the second one.

The last time I have ever noticed his 50s voice on songs like Hound Dog or Jailhouse Rock were parts of King Of The Whole Wide World. That rock n roll voice of the 50s was never hear of again. The voice of the 68 Special was certainly a raw and rockin' voice, but still far from that 50s voice that no one else on the planet could do as well.

I mean holy cats, my going back to review his 50s and late 60s performances of Jailhouse Rock REALLY puts this 77 performance into perspective.

I recall when I was a new and fresh fan, I would make excuses and create fantasies (like it was Elvis who played guitar on Guitar Man single). By 1972 I was over that! Now I see comments here about how many of these performances on EIC are not that bad or pretty good, I just shake my head.

If this were the ONLY record Elvis ever put out, and we had not the experience of his history. I am betting NO ONE would have one good thing to say about this LP. I think we are in as much denial as Elvis was about his drug problems.

If many of us can admit that Aloha was mediocre and Elvis was detached and somehow affected by his drug taking, what in the hell can we REALLY say about EIC? EIC makes Aloha look and sound like a masterpiece. Imagine a world where EIC came first and then a few years later we see Elvis as he was in Aloha. We would be astonished and very happy he had started a recovery of sorts.

EIC is like walking into a hospital and saying out last goodbyes to an old friend and LYING to him about how good he looks. Just as it is my opinion we are lying to ourselves talking about this LP.

25. PacificOceanBlue

It has to be seen to be believed. Really cringeworthy stuff.

More than one woman over 50 must have left that concert with bodily injury fighting for a scarf.