Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. JimmyCool

JimmyCool Elvis Presley Expert

From those three, only "High Heel Sneakers" is superior to "Long-Legged Girl (With The Short Dress On)."

2. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I'd choose the latter!

3. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Great question!

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I like Long Legged Girl, nice change up

garyt1957, JLGB and RSteven like this.
  5. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I do not have a problem with Long Legged Girl. But this album was about collecting singles NOT previously released on albums. (I guess since Double Trouble was just recently out of print when they compiled this album, it was deemed eligible. But with that logic wouldn't Guitar Man or Big Boss Man be even a better choice?). But who can excuse the mistake of including Stay Away, Joe? (instead of Stay Away, which they FINALLY corrected) Or the wrong take of A Little Less Conversation? Not I. Fools Fall In Love was eventually including on Camden I Got Lucky. And Sneakers got included on EAP (silver box). But Come What May was forgotten for a long time. They did not even include the correct master take on the '60s box. It finally showed up on a couple of FTD titles and The Complete Masters though. The mono master was on one of the Rarities volumes. And the stereo master is on disc 44 of The Album Collection.

prostx23, Shawn, croquetlawns and 2 others like this.
  6. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with the Friday Music Elvis re-releases but I've heard about their Monkees re-releases and they must be horrible quality wise: blurry covers, blown up CD-origin size pictures, digital mp3 sources used for vinyl pressings, dropping of all deep researched liner notes by Andrew Sandoval and bonus songs etc etc. They must be produced really bad and heartless.

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

Count me in here- I just learned that Craddock did rockabilly stuff in the 50s- and that really nice rockin' way! And by the way- I think Conway Twitty recorded some of the very best rock'n'roll in the 50s ("Long Black Train", "Is A Bluebird Blue", "I Vibrate", his early SUN recordings as Harold Jenkins etc.).

Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  8. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

It's like as if Elvis would have said to George or John "Why don't you get rid of all the Krishnas, Yokos, the primal screams and put on your Beatle suits and play Can't Buy Me Love and Love Me Do". I'm a huge Beatles/ solo Beatles fan but when John made his remark that "Elvis died when he went to the army" then Lennon to me died when he met Yoko and released "Unfinished Music No.1", "Life With The Lions", the "Wedding Album", the nude album cover etc.

9. mark winstanley

Yea the whole thing is hugely hypocritical, but Lennon thought he was being edgy

Shawn, croquetlawns and RSteven like this.
  10. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

I think you could fill books with Harrison's quotes about Hinduism (in interviews and his songs). I have a hard time thinking about Elvis quotes about Christianity.

Revelator likes this.
  11. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Elvis didn't talk religion or politics in public.

JLGB, SteveM, Iceman08 and 2 others like this.
  12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I believe recording gospel music was a statement in and of itself.

DaveJ, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Perhaps, but I don't think Elvis' primary motivation to record gospel music was about making a statement. He was a deeply spiritual man, but his love of gospel music went much deeper than that.

joy stinson, JLGB, SteveM and 6 others like this.
  14. artfromtex

It was obvious that he loved the Lord, but he was never preachy about it. He didn't proselytize or pass judgment on anybody.

Gospel was part of his musical DNA. As much as, if not more than, white Country and black Rhythm music.

joy stinson, Shawn, SteveM and 7 others like this.
  15. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

One really feels helpless when you think about potential young new customers who want to try out some Elvis songs for the first time and the only vinyl album they see on a second hand market is "Burning Love And Other Hits From His Movies". It's also this album you'll find everywhere in Germany. Or some other Camden releases in cheap looking covers. Sad! It should be "From Elvis In Memphis" or "Elvis Is Back!" or "Elvis Country".

joy stinson, Dave112, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  16. That's just one of very many qualities he had as a respectful human being and an artist / entertainer, which set him apart from the crowd. He was better for it.

17. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

Fantastic article- thanks for that! Quote "[...] Moman had founded American after working at Stax, the label at the core of the ’60s Southern soul explosion, and like his former employers, he dealt in sweaty, funky roots music that couldn’t have shared less with the soundtrack pap Elvis had been pumping out. Moman also had an ear for hits, and he chose a bunch of songs he knew Elvis would sing the **** out of."

18. I have both King Creole and From Elvis In Memphis on Friday Music and both are really superb in every way possible. The SQ is better than original pressings and the artwork is faultless.

19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

It was not unusual for artists of many genres to do a one off gospel album, But usually not rock and rollers unless they quit like Little Richard or were Pat Boone.

20. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I got the Beggars Banquet album by the Stones on vinyl just last year. Chalk that up as another CD-origin size artwork blown up to a pixelated horror of grotesquely immense proportion!!

Well, okay... it's a little pixelated but I expect more from my Stones vinyl!!

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  21. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

My favorite track on Life With The Lions is Two Minutes Silence, even though it has a very low DR.

22. artfromtex

Ed from The King's Court collects them and he says they are superb. The LP's released by Sony Legacy? Not so much.

23. artfromtex

I should have noted that a lot of these Friday Music pressings come with a 24"x 24" poster of the album art.

24. mark winstanley

I would love you guys to participate in this.

A series of 4 polls, to pick a somewhat consensus of the best Elvis albums, which will culminate in a poll made up of the top five in each category.
    You will have seven choices, and I would like folks to post their choices and what they consider the best versions of those choices are.

I have had folks ask me what the best versions of albums to get are, and I am no good at that at all, and you guys know that stuff inside out

Anyway, I hope you will all join in.

First Poll

Cheers
    Mark

RSteven and Shawn like this.
  25. mark winstanley

croquetlawns likes this.