Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

When I was 20 I had surgery that requited a rib be removed and my body opened up like a PEZ dispenser. Post surgery I was given some morphine. On the 3rd day my doctor said "no more morphine for you!" Because back then, in the 70s SOME doctors were not on the take from drug companies. These days a doctor would allow me to get hooked and then I would be seeking opioids for the rest of my life.

mark winstanley and Dave112 like this.
  2. SKATTERBRANE

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  3. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Someone else in my life found their bottom and turned their life around completely. But that person had to hit bottom and make the decision to change. Before that, no one else could tell them anything.

RSteven, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  4. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

He looked amazing in 68,69,70 for sure but the Sinatra TV special in 1960 might have something to say about that. :) To quote Christian Slater in True Romance (as written by Quentin Tarantino) 'Elvis was prettier than most women.'

PepiJean, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

It's bizarre. I had to have my face stitched up, because a dog decided to try and tear it off one time ... actually my first time in the US. So they stitched me up, and then gave me vicoden, or whatever it is. I said "no I'm fine". They said "we think you'll need it". I said "I know I won't"
    Long story short, they essentially made me take it with me. I never had one. I left it with the people I was staying with. I said "you can keep this if you like, I'm not going to need it" ... I didn't know that another person that was staying with them had had an issue in the past ... they bloody relapsed because the bloody hospital wouldn't take me at my word. I was furious.

RSteven likes this.
  6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The Ginger Alden memoir may well be self-serving, but she describes broaching the subject of the pills with Elvis several times. Going from memory, his response basically was “if you don’t like it, leave.”

Alden does describe doctors and Graceland domestic staff occasionally giving Elvis placebos instead of actual medications in an effort to at least lessen his drug intake without directly confronting him. Sadly, that appears to have been as far as anyone around him was able to go in helping him.

Iceman08, Dave112, Tord and 3 others like this.
  7. mark winstanley

I wonder how many guys that were in the army ended up with pill problems, because the government essentially condoned it via "pep pills" for basic training etc ....

Iceman08, Tord and RSteven like this.
  8. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Yeah, I cut myself very badly at work six or seven years ago, had to get stitches, they gave me a big bottle of the pain pills, I took them for one day and threw them away. Too afraid of that stuff to take it unless I’m literally already dying. One of my co-workers found out I threw the pills away and said I could have made a lot of money selling them. Nope. I would never do that.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Supposedly the Army is what introduced Elvis to speed, if he hadn’t already seen it on the road in the 50s.

Tord, RSteven, Dave112 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I always get towards 1977 in the Elvis timeline in movies like This Is Elvis and it's like a horror movie that I've seen many times before. I still say "don't go in there, he's gonna get you!". I know what's coming and it's such a waste. Elvis was only 42 and when you compare that to another music icon like Sinatra, Elvis should have just been getting his second wind career wise. When drug addiction happens to someone you love, it becomes clear how fast health and life can slip away needlessly.

Tord, MRamble, RSteven and 1 other person like this.
  11. mark winstanley

I left them with them out of ignorance. I honestly didn't realise that it was such a problem at the time. I thought "well they are no use to me, perhaps someone else might need them" It's insane.

The only time I took pain pills was after bilateral inguinal hernia surgery... I took them the first day and threw them out the next.
    a) they didn't do anything for the pain
    b) nobody told me they clog you up lol
    yea, here I am with my crotch ripped in half, give me something that makes you need every muscle to strain hahahaha

Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  12. mark winstanley

yea, very possible

RSteven likes this.
  13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I've heard both stories, not sure which one is true. Certainly pep pills were commonplace among musicians in the late 50s, so Elvis would have started using them one way or another even if he'd never been inducted.
    Yeah, that's why Vernon or the Colonel would have been the only ones who might realistically have been able to confront him and push the issue. Elvis was afraid to fire the Colonel for a variety of reasons, so it would not have been easy for him to simply cut ties, as he would have done with pretty much anyone else who dared bring up the subject.

14. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I've heard he was taking them as early as his days on The Louisiana Hayride Show. He was introduced via country music veterans. Amazingly, it was considered rather harmless in those days. I'm thinking that this is touched on in Minnie Pearl's autobiography.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    mark winstanley and czeskleba like this.
  15. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I think I told this story before, but I guess it bears repeating here. My Mother, who was one of the most anti-drug people I have ever known in my life, said it was fairly common for one of her girlfriends to say back in the 1950's, "Oh, I have got to clean house today, so I think I will just pop a pill." It horrified my Mom, but as you say, most people thought these type of drugs were rather harmless in those days.

16. mark winstanley

I led us down the garden path again, didn't I.
    Apologies :)

I like both these songs, yea, remember there were songs :)

I'm looking forward to tomorrow, we get the re-release of In Person and Back In Memphis as single albums, and then the, in my opinion, fantastic That's The Way It Is.

RSteven, Spencer R and Dave112 like this.
  17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

And the Rolling Stones wrote a song about that. :)

RSteven, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  18. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I don't mind our side trips Mark. We are friends sitting around a hi-fi enjoying music and swapping stories and jokes.

GillyT, RSteven, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  19. SKATTERBRANE

I have had several times with similar results. Some examples 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed, skin graft for skin cancer, shingles, broken rib, and others, each time they INSISIT on giving me some sort of opioid. And I refuse. I swear they PUSH this stuff. They get kickbacks.

Once you are addicted, then I understand appreciate the problems. But what I do not respect is when people CHOOSE to take it for frivolous reasons or for recreation, or escape, thinking "I won't get addicted, that happens to OTHER people." I was never into the drug culture and did not associate with those who were, but they are all around me all my life (school and work).

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  20. Swedish viking

Swedish viking Well-Known Member

I`m a recovering alcoholic since 13 years ago and I understand what he was going through. In Sweden where I live most people starts drinking in their late teens and so did I but after a while I was addicted and I didn't see it until I hit rock bottom when I was 31. Addiction is genetical disease and I've read that many in his family (on his mothers side had drinking problems) I'm pretty sure that he had the addiction disease in his genes so when he was given pills by the doctors it was the start of the path to death. His refusal to see his problem was part of the disease (denial is a thing the disease do to protect itself)
    I remember the day I understood what was going on in my life and I realized I was an alcoholic. I played the song Help Me by Elvis, It felt like the lyrics was written for me. I threw away my whiskey and the next day I asked for help and got treatment and after that I´ve been an AA-member and I have a wonderful life now.

I feel sorry for him because I know there´s a solution and a wonderful 12-step program for recovery

21. mark winstanley

IN PERSON AT THE INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, LAS VEGAS, NEVADA
    [​IMG][​IMG]

(US) RCA LSP 4428
    Released: October 1970

The single album issue

mrstats and Dave112 like this.
  22. mark winstanley

BACK IN MEMPHIS

[​IMG][​IMG]

(US) RCA LSP 4429
    Released: October 1970

Released in tandem with In Person as a single album reissue.

mrstats and Dave112 like this.
  23. mark winstanley

ELVIS - THAT'S THE WAY IT IS
    [​IMG][​IMG]

(US) RCA LSP 4445
    Released: November 1970

Released November 11, 1970
    Recorded June 4–August 12, 1970
    Venue International Hotel (Las Vegas)
    Studio RCA Studio B (Nashville)
    Genre

Length 47:00
    Label RCA Victor
    Producer Felton Jarvis

Elvis: That's the Way It Is is the soundtrack album by American singer and musician Elvis Presley from the 1970 documentary of the same name. It was released on November 11, 1970, by RCA Victor. The album consists of eight studio tracks recorded at RCA Studio B in Nashville, and four live tracks recorded at the International Hotel in Las Vegas. The album peaked at No. 21 on the Billboard 200 and at No. 8 on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart.[6] It was certified Gold on June 28, 1973, by the Recording Industry Association of America and up-graded to Platinum, for sales of a million copies on March 8, 2018.[7]

The original vinyl LP consisted of eight tracks recorded in the studio in Nashville at the marathon sessions in June 1970 that would also yield several singles and the Elvis Country album, and four tracks from his August 1970 engagement at The International Hotel in Las Vegas. The track "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" had been released as the advance single on October 6; its b-side, "Patch It Up", appears in a live version here. "The Next Step Is Love" had previously been released as a b-side in July 1970, and its A-side "I've Lost You" appears in a live version here as well. The concert version of "I Just Can't Help Believin'" from this album would be released as a single in the United Kingdom in November 1971 and go to number six on their charts. Its b-side "How the Web Was Woven" was also taken from this album. A rehearsal version of the latter song was featured in the 1970 documentary Elvis: That's the Way It Is.

On June 11, 2000, a three-disc Special Edition was released. It contained the full album remastered, along with added bonus studio tracks recorded around the same time. The set also includes the full August 12, 1970 midnight show from The International Hotel and rehearsals from late July and early August prior to the engagement. The bonus tracks included an additional concert track previously released on Walk A Mile In My Shoes: The Essential 70s Masters, five tracks that appeared on Presley studio LPs from the 1970s, and the single "Rags to Riches" from February 1971.[citation needed]

In 2008, the collectors' label Follow That Dream released a two-disc special edition of the album, with a 20-page booklet. This edition contains the full original album plus bonus tracks and outtakes.[citation needed]

In 2009, the Follow That Dream label released The Wonder of You which contains the full concert from August 13, 1970. Some concert footage from that date was used in the documentary.[8]

On July 6, 2012, Follow That Dream released a two-disc LP special edition of the album. This edition offers highlights from the 2-CD Follow That Dream release. It contains 21 tracks and features different takes of the songs.[9]

Studio tracks

Live tracks

Side one
    1. "I Just Can't Help Believin'" Cynthia Weil, Barry Mann August 11, 1970 4:34
    2. "Twenty Days and Twenty Nights" Ben Weisman, Clive Westlake June 4, 1970 3:15
    3. "How the Web Was Woven" Clive Westlake, David Most June 5, 1970 3:25
    4. "Patch It Up" Eddie Rabbitt, Rory Bourke August 12, 1970 4:03
    5. "Mary in the Morning" Johnny Cymbal, Michael Rashkow June 5, 1970 4:11
    6. "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" Vicki Wickham, Simon Napier-Bell, Pino Donaggio, Vito Pallavicini June 6, 1970 2:30
    Side two
    1. "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil, Phil Spector August 12, 1970 4:23
    2. "I've Lost You" Alan Blaikley, Ken Howard August 11, 1970 3:43
    3. "Just Pretend" Guy Fletcher, Doug Flett June 6, 1970 4:02
    4. "Stranger in the Crowd" Winfield Scott June 5, 1970 3:47
    5. "The Next Step Is Love" Paul Evans, Paul Parnes June 7, 1970 3:31
    6. "Bridge Over Troubled Water" Paul Simon June 5, 1970 4:29

2000 special edition
    Disc two
    1. "That's All Right" Arthur Crudup August 12, 1970 2:32
    2. "Mystery Train" / "Tiger Man" Herman Parker Jr., Sam Phillips / Lewis Burns, Al Lewis, Joe Hill Louis August 12, 1970 3:42
    3. "Hound Dog" Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller August 12, 1970 2:46
    4. "Love Me Tender" Vera Matson, Elvis Presley August 12, 1970 6:54
    5. "Just Pretend" Guy Fletcher, Doug Flett August 12, 1970 4:12
    6. "Walk a Mile in My Shoes" Joe South August 12, 1970 2:01
    7. "There Goes My Everything" Dallas Frazier August 12, 1970 4:10
    8. "Words" Robin Gibb, Barry Gibb, Maurice Gibb August 12, 1970 2:36
    9. "Sweet Caroline" Neil Diamond August 12, 1970 2:55
    10. "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil, Phil Spector August 12, 1970 6:29
    11. "Polk Salad Annie" Tony Joe White August 12, 1970 5:48
    12. "Heartbreak Hotel" Mae Axton, Tommy Durden, Elvis Presley August 12, 1970 1:45
    13. "One Night" Dave Bartholomew, Pearl King, Anita Steiman August 12, 1970 1:45
    14. "Blue Suede Shoes" Carl Perkins August 12, 1970 1:31
    15. "All Shook Up" Otis Blackwell, Elvis Presley August 12, 1970 2:00
    16. "Little Sister / Get Back" Doc Pomus, Mort Shuman / John Lennon, Paul McCartney / Elvis Presley August 12, 1970 3:32
    17. "I Was The One" Aaron Schroeder, Claude DeMetrius, Hal Blair, Bill Peppers August 12, 1970 1:11
    18. "Love Me" Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller August 12, 1970 2:03
    19. "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" Lou Handman, Roy Turk August 12, 1970 1:58
    20. "Bridge Over Troubled Water" Paul Simon August 12, 1970 4:28
    21. "Suspicious Minds" Mark James August 12, 1970 6:05
    22. "Can't Help Falling In Love" George Weiss, Hugo Peretti, Luigi Creatore August 12, 1970 2:08

Disc three
    1. "I Got A Woman" Ray Charles, Renald Richard August 13, 1970 3:15
    2. "I Can't Stop Loving You" Don Gibson August 10, 1970 2:50
    3. "Twenty Days and Twenty Nights" Scott Weisman, Clive Westlake August 12, 1970 4:02
    4. "The Next Step Is Love" Paul Evans, Paul Parnes August 10, 1970 3:31
    5. "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" Vicki Wickham, Simon Napier-Bell, Pino Donaggio, Vito Pallavicini August 10, 1970 2:33
    6. "Stranger in the Crowd" Winfield Scott August 13, 1970 3:59
    7. "Make the World Go Away" Hank Cochran August 13, 1970 3:50
    8. "Don't Cry Daddy" Mac Davis August 13, 1970 2:32
    9. "In the Ghetto" Mac Davis August 13, 1970 2:42
    10. "Peter Gunn Theme" (instrumental) Henry Mancini July 15, 1970 1:02
    11. "That's All Right" Arthur Crudup July 15, 1970 2:34
    12. "Cottonfields" Huddie Ledbetter July 15, 1970 1:23
    13. "Yesterday" Lennon–McCartney July 15, 1970 2:45
    14. "I Can't Stop Loving You" Don Gibson July 15, 1970 2:26
    15. "Such A Night" Lincoln Chase July 29, 1970 1:39
    16. "It's Now or Never" Eduardo di Capua, Aaron Schroeder, Wally Gold July 29, 1970 2:16
    17. "(Now and Then There's) A Fool Such as I" Bill Trader July 29, 1970 2:45
    18. "Little Sister" / "Get Back" Doc Pomus, Mort Shuman / John Lennon, Paul McCartney / Elvis Presley July 29, 1970 6:05
    19. "I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water" Joe Babcock July 24, 1970 4:23
    20. "Johnny B. Goode" Chuck Berry July 24, 1970 3:04
    21. "Mary in the Morning" Johnny Cymbal, Michael Rashkow July 24, 1970 4:06
    22. "The Wonder Of You" Baker Knight July 24, 1970 3:16
    23. "Santa Claus Is Back In Town" Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller August 4, 1970 2:02
    24. "Farther Along" (traditional - public domain) August 4, 1970 1:20
    25. "Oh Happy Day" (traditional - public domain) August 7, 1970 1:50

2008 FTD 2 discs Special Edition

Disc two
    1. "Tiger Man" Lewis Burns, Al Lewis, Joe Hill Louis Jam 2:49
    2. "Twenty Days and Twenty Nights" Scott Weisman, Clive Westlake Take 1, 2, 3 4:33
    3. "I've Lost You" Ken Howard, Alan Blaikley Take 1 5:25
    4. "Bridge Over Troubled Water" Paul Simon Take 1 5:01
    5. "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" Vicki Wickham, Simon Napier-Bell, Pino Donaggio, Vito Pallavicini Rehearsal Composite 2:44
    6. "The Next Step Is Love" Paul Evans, Paul Parnes Take 2, 3, 6 5:11
    7. "How the Web Was Woven" Clive Westlake, David Most Take 1 4:55
    8. "Stranger in the Crowd" Winfield Scott Take 1, 3, 4, 5 4:52
    9. "Stranger in the Crowd" Winfield Scott Master Take 9 - Rough Mix 4:33
    10. "Mary in the Morning" Johnny Cymbal, Michael Rashkow Take 1, 2, 3, 4 7:45
    11. "Patch It Up" Eddie Rabbitt, Rory Bourke Take 2, 7 5:17
    12. "Patch It Up" Eddie Rabbitt, Rory Bourke Take 9 - Alternate master 3:16
    13. "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" Vicki Wickham, Simon Napier-Bell, Pino Donaggio, Vito Pallavicini Take 1, 2 3:12
    14. "Just Pretend" Guy Fletcher, Doug Flett Take, 1, 2 4:46
    15. "The Next Step Is Love" Paul Evans, Paul Parnes Take 7, 8, 9, 10 6:06
    16. "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" Paul Simon Take 2, 5 5:40
    17. "I've Lost You" Ken Howard, Alan Blaikley Take 4, 5, 6 5:22
    18. "Twenty Days and Twenty Nights" Scott Weisman, Clive Westlake Take 5, 6 2:18
    19. "Twenty Days and Twenty Nights" Scott Weisman, Clive Westlake Take 9 Master - Rough Mix 3:35

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Certainly for anyone looking to purchase this album, there are plenty of options.
    I am a big fan of this album, for me Elvis is still focused on in the zone. I think the songs are good quality, and the performances are top class. I think it is absolutely essential for anyone who likes Elvis' concert material to get the bluray edition of this also. It starts with rehearsal footage and some general round and about the place type footage, but then it moves into the concert, and it is presented in excellent quality video and audio. I know there are some slightly different versions of songs etc, but I feel an Elvis collection is not complete without it.

As for the album, I think it holds together very well. I am not always a fan of the live/studio mix when presented on one album, often I find them to be so sonically different that it can be distracting.
    It mat just be that I like the songs or whatever, or perhaps I actually am just making excuses for myself because it's Elvis, but for me this sits together nicely. Sure the old hindsight is 20/20 thing may be in play, but as suggested, I reckon this would have been great as another double album, but this time - a studio album of the songs, and a live album of the songs. I don't even think it would have mattered too much if they were the same songs. Anyway, that isn't how it played out. With the various versions available and the supplementary FTD release/s it is hard to go wrong, if you like this stuff.

Again to me, Elvis is in great shape, and probably just about at the top of his game, and this document, in cd and bluray form, is a real blessing to the fan. So many artists have left us no concert footage from the seventies and here we not only have some footage, but it is great footage, and the artist firing on all cylinders at the time.

Anyway,
    What does everyone else think of this album?
    Do you like the format?
    Do you have a preference for live or studio?
    If you were around at the time of release, do you remember your reaction to the album?
    Has your reaction to the album changed?

Let us know anything that crosses your mind regarding this album, the bluray (which if I am able, I will share songs from after we have done the album proper) the concerts etc. Certainly if you have any recommendations for us newbies regarding FTD concerts etc, let us know essential supplementary stuff.

Cheers,
    Mark

24. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

IMO, the movie "Elvis - That's the Way it is" (whether it is the original or the special edition) is essential. The album, not so.
    The main issue is that it was sandwiched between two great LPs ("On Stage" and "Elvis Country"), plus the combination of live material and studio recordings does not work here for me. Maybe as a true soundtrack double lp, I would see it differently. Still some good music in there. Favorite tracks: STRANGER IN THE CROWD and JUST PRETEND.

mark winstanley likes this.
  25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The re-edited, remastered version of the That’s The Way It Is film is my favorite concert movie/music documentary by anyone, ever.