Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Texan's must just be very Aussie, unless I'm actually a long lost texan :)

rkt88, artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  2. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

We are very alike. But not the coastal Aussies. The inland folks!!

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I only have two or three of the 1969 concerts on FTDs and the bonus disc of the Live in Las Vegas CD, so I’m not getting hit as hard on the buy it all again front as I’m sure some are. But if you’ve been buying every FTD CD over the years, I’m sure this box is frustrating.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  4. artfromtex

Apples and oranges. Those compositions are public domain. The performers got paid a single fee for the performance. So, yeah, it is basically the cost of the labor and materials to produce the set.

In the case of the Elvis set, all of those with publishing interests have to be paid. And keep in mind, it is not just a matter of writing a check. There is a ton of logistical support needed for projects like this. Also, these are fifty year old tapes of the biggest single artist of the 20th century. You can't hire Joe Schmo to do the job.

7 of the 11 discs are either unreleased OR a (we will see) major sonic upgrade. I have all the FTD's and the Live In Las Vegas box. I don't feel cheated in any sense. I think a nice uniform set of these concerts is a blessing for an Elvis fan in 2019.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  5. artfromtex

The mixes on the early FTD's sound bad. Before Vic and Sebastian got involved mixes, EQ and mastering left a LOT to be desired.

6. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

As opposed to a Long Tall Texan, presumably:

:) ;) :)

7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’ve bought the On Stage material over and over again as RCA kept adding more and more material. I’ve bought multiple repackagings of the Sun sessions. It’s frustrating sometimes, but I’m into Elvis in 1969 and 1970 to the point that I’ll take the bait and buy the latest and greatest reissue.

8. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I'm going to preorder the new box, if only to lock in any potential price drops, but I may well cancel the order if the price doesn't drop significantly in the next 6 weeks. I waited years to get the TTWII box, until I found a copy for something like $75. I'm willing to hold out for a similar price on this box, especially because it only includes the multitracks.

9. mark winstanley

I'm only 5-10 and i have this little bulge that developed in the middle. So i fail on both counts lol

RSteven and NumberEight like this.
  10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I've got the original album, Collectors Gold and a few of the FTDs, and I think that's enough for me as well. I've always been a completist of acts I really love, but in this era of copyright extension mega-releases and vault clearing, I'm finding I'm hitting the wall on what I'm interested in. I absolutely LOVE the Oar album by Skippy Spence, and I enjoyed the bonus tracks on the 1999 reissue. But I found myself having zero interest in a three-CD collection of outtakes and work parts they put out recently. And that gigantic collection of every note Dylan recorded in 1965-66, that was way too much for me even though I love that period of his. We have a wealth of material by our favorites out there, but the result is that for me there's more available than I really want to (or have time to) listen to.

Iceman08, D.B., Dave112 and 2 others like this.
  11. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

Publishing interests need to be paid on a vast amount of the classical boxed sets too. Works by Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Britten, Messiaen, Berio, Richard Strauss, Kurt Weill, Schoenberg, Prokofiev, Honegger, Charpentier, Gliere, Finzi, Sibelius, Korngold, Vaughan Williams, Bloch, Villa-Lobos, Hindemith, Varese, Kodaly, Khachaturian, Rodrigo, Carl Orff, Walton, Bernstein, and others I have no doubt missed, whose works frequent (for better or worse) the sets in question, are ALL in copyright in most countries.

So the publishing interest element is completely unfounded. And if publishing interests were a major player, how do you account for the 60CD set of most of Elvis albums retailing at not a huge amount more than the new boxed set? More than 700 songs to pay publishing on in there! Or there's the 20CD sets from Sony that retailed for £30. How did they get on with publishing?

I would suggest there is far more logistical support and archive work going to into bringing 20 or so Living Stereo albums to CD for the first time, or bringing 50 albums from 1948 to 1956 into a set, than pulling these concerts off the shelves, most of which have already been worked on - and contain far less errors than the average Elvis set.

You cannot argue, therefore, that the cost of labour is the reason for this price. The reason for the price is because Sony know full well that they can charge what the devil they like and enough fans will buy it because they buy everything. There is no need for there to be a sonic upgrade, because they should have been released in perfectly good sound in the first place. If they weren't, then people should have been raising hell. These were released over the last fifteen years in most cases, not in 1985 with reprocessed stereo.

Elvis fans are taken for a ride - just as they have been for sixty or so years - because they willingly accept anything, and buy everything. Over and over and over again.

NumberEight and mark winstanley like this.
  12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

All fair points, but better late than never for RCA to put out definitive sets such as A Boy From Tupelo and this Live 1969 set. We buy everything over and over again because Elvis was magical.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  13. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

In MOST cases subsequent Elvis releases do have better SQ. They are not typically brick walled like so many other remaster/reissue programs are (Elv1s and 2nd To None notwithstanding). I am a huge Dylan and King Crimson Fan, but I am not into the immersion thing. I typically buy the edited versions of their releases rather than the huge boxed sets. Same goes for Beatles White Album and Lennon's Imagine. The two or three disc set is enough for me. When it comes to Elvis, I am more likely to go all in. (although not always). I did not buy the latest TV Special box set as it really had nothing to offer I didn't already have. Once you have both sit down concerts, both stand up concerts plus the production numbers and a handful of choice outtakes, what more do I need?

I sold my entire FTD collection, complete up to around 2015 or 2016. No regrets. I have enough outtake material with the RCA/BMG/Sony release I have. And I am not a fan of soundboards except for a few very exceptional performances.

The 60 CD Album Collection, despite its problems, was a great set and I am very, very happy it was done.

14. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

Elvis fans buy everything over and over again because they're mugs, not because Elvis is a distant cousin of Harry Potter.

Boy from Tupelo was a different issue altogether - that material was in demand because the only way to get it previously was with an expensive book.

Sony could have made the That's the Way It Is boxed set an essential purchase for every fan with some thought. Hours of audio from the rehearsals remain unreleased officially - and yet what did they include? A CD of novelty songs that most fans have got already, and a copy of the films that everyone buying that set already had. Brightest Star on Sunset Boulevard should NOT be an essential title in Elvis fans' collections in 2019. That's a bootleg from twenty years ago. Why not take the opportunity to offer those rehearsals as part of that set, and make it better value for money for all those fans that had been buying all the FTDs from the beginning. There is no rhyme or reason.
    Likewise with the new set - where is the August 3rd performance? True, many will have it already, but why release the "complete" 1969 shows and then leave out the one concert that has significant variations to the others with regards to performance and arrangements. That's not bringing all the concerts together into one set.

mark winstanley and PepiJean like this.
  15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I understand all your points. Call me a sucker, because I’m happy to give RCA more of my money.

16. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

Ditto. And the fact that the '69 shows were uniformly good means that if you've heard two or three, you've probably heard them all. When the quality is so high and so consistent, the distinctions between individual shows rest on minor set-list changes. That said, I wouldn't mind listening to some of the unreleased material from the upcoming set, but I'd have to space out even those shows or else they'll blur together. I'm also finding my tolerance for album outtakes (from any artist) on the wane--unless the outtake is substantially different from the master, I'm not really interested. I made it through the six disc version of Dylan's Cutting Edge, but 18 discs is just too much.

17. artfromtex

No one has a gun to their head. The perceived value of the set rests in the eye of the consumer.

Perhaps you're correct. Maybe it is just an inflated price based on supply and demand. I doubt seriously that anyone will actually pay $160 for this set. I doubt if the actual cost ever exceeds $129.99.

I have to proclaim ignorance of the classical box sets that you were referring to in your earlier post.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  18. mark winstanley

Most classical stuff is cheaper due to copyright expiration anyhow. It is a lesser cost to make.
    160 is more than i can logically afford. At 80 bucks, i would seriously consider it, but i know my habits and it will be a dust collector, more than likely.
    I would actually love to get the TTWII deluxe ... but I'm still umming and ahhhing over that.
    The fiddler comes to mind lol... that one on the roof ... wel his little song anyhow :)

Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It looks like there is potential for substandard CD packaging; i.e. the discs are going slip into connected according cardboard sleeves, which has the potential to leave scratching, smudging and glue residue. Anyone remember the tight cardboard sleeves with the Prince From Another Planet set? I don't like the look of the packaging.

20. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Do you have the Legacy Edition (or have you heard it)? It works as an excellent preview. If you like the sound of Disc 2, you'll love the deluxe set. I know that many fans don't care for the way the shows are mixed, but personally, I think they've never sounded better.

21. artfromtex

You should try retrieving disc 3 from the VLV or FIA "Complete Sessions" FTD's. Feels like the disc is gonna crack in half. Glad I rip lossless and playback digitally.

Shawn, mark winstanley and Dave112 like this.
  22. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

i was gonna say. tall, not "lost" TY.

why i enjoy some contributions here. i thought of that and then you posted it and i wouldn't have thought of that song in another 1000 sundays. at a minimum.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    NumberEight and mark winstanley like this.
  23. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I know all of the details on this CD Set of 1969 shows hasn't come forth yet but what previously released discs and box sets would this replace? I don't have anything but the original album on CD and vinyl. I'm tempted to order this but FTD has sure strayed form its original mission to provide an officially released material to meet the wishes of the dedicated fans and to thwart the bootleg industry by having better quality products for the fans to buy and collect.

24. mark winstanley

I have the FTD.

25. mark winstanley

Just Pretend
    Written By :
    Doug Flett & Guy Fletcher

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, June 4-9, 1970: June 6, 1970. take 3

Whenever I see the title to this song, I think of Alvin Stardust, but this is certainly not that song :)
    This is like a cross between the Elvis big ballad (trademark) and a blues of sorts. I really enjoy this as well, once I get past the Alvin Stardust thing. This is a nice, slow, big ballad. Elvis puts in a killer vocal . The song ever so slightly reminds me of Love Letters in its styling. We start with a straight band with the piano doing a slow strut and the bass and drums holding down the beat. We have an organ wandering in the distance also, and here it is very effective.
    In the second verse we have horns come in ever so gently adding to the panorama, and then the strings come in slightly stronger.
    This song takes the form of the dynamic builder that was a big part of this album. I suppose I understand folks not liking these tracks, but I have always been a sucker for a well arranged builder, and for me these are well arranged and really hit the spot. Now I have become used to Elvis seventies style vocal, I find it Mesmerising.

RobCos02330, D.B., RSteven and 4 others like this.