Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, Elvis Country is a truly fantastic album, and I have to say that these last 7 albums in a row going back to From Elvis In Memphis is quite simply the greatest run of consistently great albums that Elvis ever produced in his career to my ears. Here is my ranking of them in order of greatness:

1) From Elvis In Memphis - Still Elvis's greatest album ever, along with Elvis Is Back, in my opinion.
    2) Elvis That's The Way It Is - Still a very underrated album to my ears. Any album that has the definitive versions of Bridge Over Troubled Water and You've Lost That Loving Feeling on it, ranks high on my list.
    3) On Stage - I could almost exchange places with the above album as this captures Elvis and the TCB band in their most southern funky groove. He has a couple of amazing ballads on here as well.
    4) Elvis Country - Wow, this album has just held up really well and only seems to gain in statue over the years, and it was actually one that started with a lot of critical love at the time of release.
    5) From Memphis To Vegas/From Vegas To Memphis - A pretty amazing studio collection of American Sound Recordings with Elvis's comeback concert mash-up from 1969.
    6) Almost In Love - If the above album did not have Stranger In My Home Town and Without Love (There Is Nothing) on it, I would actually switch places with this album on my above placement of FMTV/FVTM.
    7)
    Let's Be Friends - The only real weak link in this whole great run of albums, but it still has a couple of stellar performances on it. If I'm A Fool (For Loving You) is one of them.

If the above group of albums were his entire recording legacy, I think a Justin Timberlake or any current pop artist today would be proud to claim it as his own. And Elvis produced this whole collection, for the most part, in less than two years.

RobCos02330, Dave112, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  2. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Nice list @RSteven !
    What would be your top 10 Elvis albums then ?
    Here is mine:

1- Elvis is back! (1960)
    2- King Creole (1958)
    3- The Sun Sessions (1976)
    4- Elvis' Golden Records (1958)
    5- Elvis' Gold Records vol.3 (1963)
    6- From Elvis in Memphis (1969)
    7- Elvis Country (1971)
    8- From Memphis to Vegas / From Vegas to Memphis (1969)
    9- His hand in mine (1961)
    10- On Stage, feb.1970 (1970)
    And bubling under:
    11- Blue Hawaii (1961)

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Although I can appreciate crooners, to some degree, I have never liked listening to them. I don't hate all crooning, but I don't own one album, by any crooner as such. So Sinatra, as good as he may be, has never been of any interest to me.

Iceman08 and PepiJean like this.
  4. mark winstanley

Hmmmm Elvis' top ten albums (excluding Golden Records)

From Elvis In Memphis
    Elvis Is Back
    That's The Way It Is
    Elvis Presley
    King Creole
    Loving You

That's about as far as I can go really... Any album out of
    Elvis Presley
    How Great Though Art
    Pot Luck
    Viva Las Vegas (album on 3cd set)
    Spinout
    Almost In Love
    On stage
    From Elvis Presley Blvd
    Country
    Blue Hawaii
    Girls Girls Girls
    Roustabout
    and probably more could fill that gap and I'd be happy.
    In reality there is probably only the first three that are solid fixes on that list lol

RSteven and PepiJean like this.
  5. mark winstanley

Rags To Riches *
    Where Did They Go Lord *

(US) RCA 47-9980
    Released: February 23, 1971
    * Recorded: RCA Studio B, Nashville, September 22, 1970

[​IMG][​IMG]

Rags To Riches
    Written By :
    Richard Adler & Jerry Ross

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, September 22-23, 1970 : September 22, 1970. take 4 , with 1 line from take 3

I'm not sure I have heard this one very much previously. I love that Elvis is cutting loose on the vocal.
    We have a great melody flying about here. This is a really cool song actually. Recorded during the Nashville marathon, I find it surprising that it didn't get on the country album.
    It got to 9 on the UK chart, but didn't do anything anywhere else really. It surprises me a lot how popular Elvis was in the UK, and yet for some reason in the US, they had completely shut him down. Perhaps it was the constant release schedule, but it seems that his sales were out of balance with the rest of the world in the seventies.

6. mark winstanley

Where Did They Go Lord
    Written By :
    Dallas Frazier & Arthur L. Owens

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, September 22-23, 1970 : September 22, 1970. take 6

This song again is somewhat off my radar.
    We have a nice big ballad here, and it has a steady feel, and rides the ground somewhere between Country, Blues and Pop.
    To my ears Elvis is still fully in control of his vocals and delivery here.
    I suppose to some degree, I am not really drawn into the whole Bellowing debate, because I grew up on hard rock and early heavy metal, so that style of singing is second nature to me.

RobCos02330, DirkM, Revelator and 2 others like this.
  7. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

"Elvis Gold(en) Records" (whatever volume) are so good they shouldn't be ignored for those Top 10 lists.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  8. mark winstanley

It's just really hard to break them down to that ...
    The UK vol 1 is probably the closest Elvis record to me, because that was my Dad's and that was the one I listened to, way up until the complete 50's masters box. For years it was all I had.
    I suppose to some degree, I sort of understand the mentality of the general masses, that Elvis didn't do anything after the fifties, from the perspective that, if that is all you had, you would still be pretty satisfied.
    I'm so thankful that they released those 5 disc boxes. It broadened my love for Elvis' music ten fold. I never expected to be so enamored with it.... and for sixteen year old me, it would be unthinkable that my favourite three albums aren't from the early period, and two of them are from the seventies (shock, horror)

It's actually really weird, because I know the songs on Golden Records aren't on other albums, but I still think of them as best of compilations and as much as I love them, all of them in fact, they don't compete on an album basis with the ones I chose up there. It's really hard to explain.....

My order for the Gold Records separately is

and 1 would probably make it in my top 5 albums

PepiJean likes this.
  9. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

There are four stereo mixes of Rags To Riches in existence.

The Silver Box
    The 70s box (The version in Mark's post)
    Love Letters From Elvis FTD
    The Album Collection

The most correct mix compared to the mono singles mix is the one on The Album Collection. The other versions have different splices, missing or different overdubs. The mix On the Album Collection is the most correct because it has correct overdubs and the correct splices. The only downside is that the piano is not as much upfront as it is in the mono mix or some of the other stereo mixes.

D.B., RSteven, Dave112 and 5 others like this.
  10. mark winstanley

Cheers for the clarification mate. I tried to get the single, but nothing came up for it.

RSteven likes this.
  11. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I couldn't find it either, but I think the mono mix is essential because it sounds quite different. Unfortunately the míx has never been officially released on cd. The old cds from the 80s use the stereo mix from the Silver box. The mono is easy to find on vinyl. It's available on the U.K. comp Hits of the 70's which is dirt cheap.

12. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Where Did They Go, Lord is a song that I could either take or leave. It's rough going in parts, but it does have its moments.

I used to absolutely hate Rags To Riches; I couldn't even get past the intro. Now, though, I love it, and I can't understand why I ever disliked it (well, part of the reason is that I'm not that wild about the 70s box mix. The Silver Box version, which I heard much later, is my go-to mix). It's the sort of melodramatic, grandiose pop song that Elvis can really sink his teeth into, and these sorts of performances are a large part of the reason why I love 70s Elvis.

D.B., RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  13. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I don't have the Album Collection. Is that mix available anywhere else?

mark winstanley likes this.
  14. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I don't think so.

DirkM and mark winstanley like this.
  15. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

Is the mix on The Complete Masters the same as on Love Letters (FTD)?

16. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Yes, even the mastering is the same.

DirkM, mark winstanley and Sebastian like this.
  17. mark winstanley

18. mark winstanley

Reference Guide

Jan 27 1970
    Kentucky Rain/ My Little Friend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Apr 1970
    Lets Be Friends
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 1 Stay Away Joe Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 If I'm A Fool For Loving you Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Lets Be Friends Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Lets Forget About The Stars Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 Mama Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 I'll Be There Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 Almost Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 Change Of Habit Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 Have A Happy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Apr 20 1970
    The Wonder Of You/ Mama Liked the Roses Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

June 1970
    On Stage
    track 1 See See Rider Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 Release Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Sweet Caroline Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Runaway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 The Wonder Of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 Polk Salad Annie Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 Yesterday Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 Proud Mary Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 Walk A Mile In My Shoes Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 Let It Be Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

July 1970
    I've Lost You/ The Next Step Is Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

August 1970
    Worldwide Fifty Gold Award Hits vol 1

August 1970
    Elvis Christmas Album (Camden)

October 1970
    Almost In Love

October 6 1970
    You Don't Have To Say You Love Me/Patch It Up Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

October 1970
    Elvis in Person

October 1970
    Back In Memphis

November 11 1970
    That's The Way It Is
    track 1 I Just Can't Help Believin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 Twenty Days And Twenty Nights Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 How The Web Was Woven Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Patch It Up Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 Mary In The Morning Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 You Don't Have To Say You Love Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 I've Lost You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 Just Pretend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 Stranger In The Crowd Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 11 The Next Step Is Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 12 Bridge Over Troubled Water Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

December 8 1970
    I Don't Really Want To Know/ There Goes My Everything Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

January 7 1971
    Elvis Country (I Was Born 10,000 Years Ago)
    track 1 Snowbird Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 Tomorrow Never Comes Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Little Cabin On the Hill Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Whole Lotta Shakin Going On Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 Funny How Time Slips Away Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 I Really Don't Want To Know Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 There Goes My Everything Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 It's Your Baby, You Rock It Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 The Fool Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 Faded Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 11 I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 12 Make The World Go Away Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

February 23 1971
    Rags To Riches/Where Did They Go Lord Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

19. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Thanks for the information! Just for clarification, when you say "The Silver Box", are you referring to the first Elvis 3CD set issued in about 1983 or '84? The reason that I ask is that there is also a gold box that was first issued. I thought the only difference was that the gold box was numbered and the silver box was not. I'm wanting to get a set sometime but you guys keep making my wish list longer and longer. Lol! I do appreciate these details though.

20. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The Silver box is the 8LP box set released in 1980. It was reissued on cd in the 90s.
    Elvis Presley - Elvis Aron Presley

This is the Gold box. Originally released in 1985.
    Elvis Presley - A Golden Celebration

21. mark winstanley

I'm guessing the answer is yes, and I'm sorry to ask.
    Even with all the album FTD's, the three 5 disc boxes and the album collection, is the silver box a necessary addition to the collection?
    (he asks, sweating profusely and stressing, knowing that the answer is almost certainly yes)

Iceman08, RSteven and Dave112 like this.
  22. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I would suppose that the Elvis Aron Presley CD set would have used different mixes that were used on CDs at the time. Thanks for the clarification!

23. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I prefer the mix on Elvis Aron Presley.

I have always like the song Rags To Riches, and Elvis's version is pretty good. I also like Where Did They Go Lord. But to me this single was an unusual and weird release. I cannot put my finger on why. Then the Love Letters From Elvis LP came out and that feeling prevailed.

D.B., RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  24. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Yes, all these box sets are really a good thing to have:
    Elvis Aron Presley
    A Golden Celebration
    Platinum A Life In Music
    Today Tomorrow And Forever
    Close Up

MRamble, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  25. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Not necessarily. I think FTD or released most of it.

1956 Las Vegas: The Young Man With The Big Beat or the 50s box
    Monolog: Only available in the box, iirc.
    The Pearl Harbor Show - Released through FTD
    Movie outtakes: Released through FTD
    The TV Specials: Available elsewhere except for the Single version of My Way which is difficult to find on cd.
    Las Vegas Years: Available on other releases in better sound
    The Lost Singles: Some unique "first time in stereo" remixes and some mixes have alternate overdubs. The Single version of Unchained Melody os hard to find on cd
    Elvis At The Piano: available on the 70s box and FTD in different mixes
    The Concert Years: Available in the Elvis Today Legacy Edition in far better sound.

Iceman08, DirkM, Mark87 and 2 others like this.