Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. Yeah rightly or wrongly I always thought if it more as a sci fi track, probably as I’m not well versed in the Old Testament.

2. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Life is a bizarre mix of sci-fi and Christian and New Age imagery ... which really wasn’t so uncommon at this particular early 70s moment: compare it, for example, with Judee Sill’s Enchanted Sky Machines, or even with Neil Young’s After The Gold Rush.

3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

If only Elvis had covered some Judee Sill penned material during the 1970’s.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I should be clear that I don't really like the song myself. It's unexceptional and certainly not single-worthy. I just don't see why others would describe the lyrics as outrageous or bizarre. It's the Biblical story of creation and Jesus, drawing pretty heavily from the book of John. I see no mention of wizards, dungeons, magic, or dragons. The lyrics are kind of florid and Webbish, and they take the odd (for a gospel song) approach of not mentioning God or Jesus by name, but the underlying content is straightforward Christian doctrine as far as I can see.

5. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

The lyrics are outrageous and bizarre.

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I hope we all spend as much time commenting and debating about the very fine upcoming single I'm Leavin' as we all did venting on the very average Life single.

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's funny how sometimes the lesser material is what generates the more extensive discussion. I suppose that's because when something is really great, there's only so many ways to say that it's great, and the less disagreement we have, the less there is to discuss.

I'm still puzzled as to why some folks think the lyrics to Life are outrageous and bizarre. As far as I can hear, the content is basic Christian theology and I don't think anyone is trying to say THAT is outrageous.

8. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I have noticed the same thing as well. It does seem like the lesser material gets the most discussion, I guess for all the reasons you mention. I know Life is a little bit of a polarizing song to most of us, and it is definitely not one of my favorites on the album, but just like you, I don't see its lyrics as completely over the top. Oh, its whole concept is a bit grandiose and flowery and not really to my tastes with the flutes and all, but I have no problem with the overall concept of the song or the lyrics for that matter. The whole sum is not greater than its very average parts in this particular case.

9. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

"Life" certainly should never have been released as as single, but I've never understood why the song is so widely reviled. It's neither brain-dead in the way the worst 60s songs were, nor tear-in-my-beer maudlin like the worst 70s material.
    As a gospel song it's up to something more interesting than "Who Am I" or "Only Believe." It starts off with a Deist version of creation before shifting to a "God is Love" message, then enters an explicitly Christian stage (cue Jesus and Hell) before finally ending with big a build-up on "Love is Life." Full circle! Being an atheist I don't buy the strained melange of Christianity, Deism, and evolution, but I can get behind the message that if we don't love one another we're damned in at least one world.
    As for the dreaded flute, I think it's just right and gives a wistful Hollywood gloss appropriate to a song about creation gone wrong. If "Life" were a movie it would be Genesis directed by a hippie Cecil B. DeMille after a bong-hit. I can think of less interesting things to watch.
    Mind you, I probably like this song more than Elvis did--at the recording session he complained "this goddamn thing is long as life!"

Iceman08, BeatleJWOL, JLGB and 2 others like this.
  10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

That damn flute has actually started to grow on me the more I listen to this song. It actually seems to add something to the strange atmospherics of the whole creation theme. Gee whiz, I have to stop listening to this song and move onto something else.

11. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

me
    gr8 jam , love it.

to much Felton Jarvis didn't have James Burton overdub a nasty lil guitar solo over it !!!

mark winstanley, PepiJean and Dave112 like this.
  12. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Much better than the released version !!!

mark winstanley likes this.
  13. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

This thread about "Life" has taken on a life of its own. Lol. I can actually picture a different arrangement that might have worked better. The song's over the top subject matter of creation of the universe and the universal plan of it all would never work as a big production. If ever a song needed a "less is more" approach, this one is it. A clear musical contrast to the lyrics' subject matter. A simple arrangement with acoustic guitar in the forefront similar to In The Ghetto and lightly building but with the acoustic guitar always in the forefront would have done a lot for this song (yes we could have added the "damn flute" too! lol). Elvis was a master at taking mediocre material and making it sound like more than was actually there. The only thing with Life is that I don't see how one could make a giant production number to match the subject matter (only the meaning of it ALL). I would have liked to hear Elvis approach the song as a quiet meditation musically speaking.

14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

It is definitely directly from 1 John ... It is definitely based on being a picture of the Christian view of creation. It is worded in a poetic, rather than literal way. I have come across many who just don't hear it that way .... and I am not really sure why.

BeatleJWOL, Revelator and RSteven like this.
  15. mark winstanley

I'm Leavin' *
    Heart Of Rome
    (US) RCA 47-9998
    Released: June 22, 1971
    * Recorded: RCA Studio B, Nashville, May 20, 1971

[​IMG][​IMG]

Written By :
    Michael Jarrett & Sonny Charles

Recorded :
    RCA's Studio B, Nashville, May 15-21, 1971: May 20, 1971

We start with a nice acoustic guitar here, then there is this dreamy choir of la,la,la's.
    When Elvis comes in the vocal has a fragility, that suits the tone of the song. Then we move into a more uptempo section and a key modulation into the again fragile sounding chorus line "I I I I I'm Leavin'", the has a nice gentle falsetto to finish.
    This is quite a beautiful song. I sort of expect a little kick back against it though, from what I have read of folks thoughts on other songs, but we'll see.

16. mark winstanley

Here is a slightly longer version

JLGB and Shawn like this.
  17. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

I'M LEAVIN'
    This song was supposed to be the Potential-Hit from those may 1971 sessions. Elvis was clearly working a little bit harder for that one but, somehow, it did not come together, at least for me. The intro is fine, the first part is intriguing but the up-tempo section just doesn't make it for me. I can't put my finger exactly on the issue, there is just something off.
    At the end, the single stalled at #36 and that does not really surprises me.

18. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

The acoustic “La la la” part of I’m Leavin’ always reminds me of Cat Stevens.

RSteven, PepiJean and mark winstanley like this.
  19. Ace24

Ace24 Forum Resident

To give Life even more analysis; I'll give it to Mark and Czeskleba that the the Life lyrics are the basic Christian story. I had heard a vast and timeless source began as giving God a beginning. But it does say timeless. So maybe it isn't so much a meld of ideas? I'm just listening on an iPod but it almost sounds like Elvis sings intelligence was born and then there was the Word which would make it more John 1. But the lyrics I read online say world.

Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  20. mark winstanley

Indeed that part of the lyrics say world, but later we get the Word

RSteven likes this.
  21. I'm surprised I'm Leavin' hasn't been more popular over the years. I really like it, it's a bit outside of the norm in musical structure than what Elvis was used to and while the lyrics are dated, I love when he sings:

Tried so hard each time, each time I just can't make it
    Feelin' fast vibrations and I just can't take it
    Living from day to day, chasing the dream

If there can be a song in Elvis' catalog that should get another look by the more casual fans, this and I've Got A Thing About You Baby are it.

I'm Leavin'/Heart of Rome is also one of my favorite Elvis singles - to me, it's a great 1-2 where one side compliments the other and makes for an overall great 45.

MRamble, Dave112, Spencer R and 3 others like this.
  22. SKATTERBRANE

That is exactly what I am saying. It is mystical, metaphysical nonsense.

23. mark winstanley

Ok lets not get into a debate on theology and philosophy ... that will be a thread closer

RSteven, Shawn and SKATTERBRANE like this.
  24. SKATTERBRANE

I spent the summer with my Dad in Savannah MO. He was an air traffic controller. But he also owned a restaurant at the airport. He hired me as a busboy/dishwasher. This is when I got my Social Security number. It seems to me that the Southern radio stations were more apt to play Elvis than in the North. I heard I'm Leavin' many times on the radio in MO. Of course I bought the single. I had the jukebox vendor put this record in the jukebox at the restaurant. I also remember playing Never Ending Song Of Love and Sweet Hitchhiker on that Jukebox as well.

From day one this has always been one of my favorite Elvis recordings. It has a certain atmosphere that is unique. I liked the subject matter, even though the lyrics are sparse. This is an example of when the backing vocals really lend a lot to the performance. I never tire listening to it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    D.B., Dave112, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  25. SKATTERBRANE

Not sure where the longer version comes from. What CD is it on? I suppose it is a FTD title.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.