Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Ya probably a day lol ... I forgot it was another reassembled album ...
    Wow, "get yer head together Mark!" lol

RSteven likes this.
  2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh, that is truly thrilling to hear that you have that John Klein album on your wishlist. It took us almost two years to get Sony's permission to grant us a copyright for it. I also had the distinct pleasure of corresponding directly with Mike Piacentini himself about the remastering process. It was really cool to hear him talk about the Sony Archive team going into the vaults at Iron Mountain in New York and tracking down the original master tapes, which he actually used for the remastering of the original album. The second album had already been put on a digital file, but it too was taken from an original master tape, so the whole project was created directly from those original master tapes. He told me the difficult part of the process was equalizing the sound on the two albums for the single CD.

I also get what your saying about those other cuts on Elvis's TWWOC. I guess I can enjoy those songs a little more than you, despite their shortcomings. I do chuckle a little that Elvis's voice is completely obliterated during the chorus on The First Noel. He either started in too high of a key to make the jump or they just decided to bury his voice on the chorus anyway.

3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Huh. I like the cover art. I don't think it looks cheap at all. It's maybe a bit corny, but I think the design and execution are well-done. To me it looks like they actually put some effort into designing the cover, rather than just slapping the first random picture of Elvis they could find on there. Given the unending stream of live photo album covers, I find it a really nice change of pace.

4. C'mon, they couldn't even be bothered to use two different pics of Elvis on those two 'ornaments' they adored his face on!

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Okay, I admit that was pretty lazy, as was not even bothering to get a color print of the photo. But aside from that, my overall opinion stands. I like the design of the cover and it's a change of pace. I'd say it's one of the best Elvis album covers of this era (though admittedly, that's an extremely low bar to clear). I mean, it's certainly better than the crap designs on the covers of Now or He Touched Me or Aloha or Fool or Raised on Rock or... I could go on and on.

6. With Separate Ways for the 'win' ;)

Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh my goodness, bless you for your great taste in defending this great album cover. All of us true collectors of Christmas albums from the Golden Age Of Christmas, which this album falls just slightly inside or outside of depending on your own view of it, have a real appreciation for some of these covers that some no doubt some feel are a little on the cheesy side, and I totally get that perspective, but I actually do think this was a pretty well done album cover with the ornaments and all. It has a nicely done color scheme as well with red, white and green highlights, which really lets you know that you are buying a Christmas album when you see it.

Dave112 and czeskleba like this.
  8. mark winstanley

To be honest I had never noticed the little Elvis faces LOL

I actually don't mind the cover

9. Wow you guys are lenient today! :) I guess if clip-art-worthy images on an album cover for an artist's staure that Elvis has is OK, there's no saving you :D

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  10. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

For some reason, I really like the cover of Elvis Now. And generally speaking, I'd much rather have a single, generic on stage photo of Elvis than the (imo) tacky designs of TWWOC, LLFE, and Aloha.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  11. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

We we all so thrilled just to see that they didn't stick another jumpsuit shot with Elvis in a giant Santa hat on the cover. Well, we got the Santa hat, but it least they actually created some original album art, even if it might not win any artistic awards by todays standards, but again the cheese factor is part of the charm with these old Christmas album covers. Check out the Jack Jones' cheesy album cover from his Christmas album in 1964, and we all fought to have that original one used instead of the newer, glossier one, when Real Gone reissued it on CD for the first time a few years ago.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  12. mark winstanley

Elvis in a Santa jump suit surrounded by Christmas elves eating holly leaves LOL

Dave112, Revelator and RSteven like this.
  13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

British Separate Ways beats them all. I'm all set to go on a rant about that when we reach this album...

14. I guess I should be thankful for small miracles that they didn't use an (believe it or not, official) image like this:

[​IMG]
    or this:

[​IMG]

Iceman08, D.B., ClausH and 6 others like this.
  15. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

No, no, it is fine. Once posted we may as well talk about it. No big deal (even if it seems like I made it a big deal, sorry).

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mark winstanley

It's all good mate

Dave112 and SKATTERBRANE like this.
  17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Exactly. It was a nice change of pace from the status quo, e.g. concert photos.

Iceman08, Dave112, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  18. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

I gotta be honest: I'd have preferred either of those images to the actual cover. In their cheap awfulness they ascend to the mountain-top of crap and taste the fustian air of pure kitsch. And they are suitably fitting the genre of Christmas Music, an art form that makes Baby Jesus cry, for it was invented by the Devil to degrade, defile and destroy Christmas. I salute Elvis for wrestling with the Prince of Darkness and overcoming him with the sexy headlock of "Merry Christmas Baby" and melancholy half-nelson of "Holly Leaves and Christmas Trees." But Lucifer struck back with "Winter Wonderland" and several other moldy oldies. Jesus called it a draw.

19. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Yep, a collection of hits and misses:

SIDE A
    1- O come all ye faithful ... 5/10
    2- The first noel ... 3/10
    3- On a snowy christmas night ... 8/10
    4- Winter wonderland ... 5/10
    5- The wonderful world of christmas ... 4/10
    6- It won't seem like christmas without you ... 6/10

SIDE B
    1- I'll be home on christmas day ... 7/10
    2- If I get home on christmas day ... 8/10
    3- Holly leaves and christmas trees ... 9/10
    4- Merry christmas baby ... 10/10

5- Silver bells ... 7/10 (personal guilty pleasure)

Bonus: I'll be home on christmas day (Country Blues) ... 10/10

Revelator and mark winstanley like this.
  20. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Well that crafty post made me chuckle a little bit in my mouth.

21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

You took the words right out of my mouth. @Revelator is one witty and clever poster, even when I disagree with him a little.

22. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

LOL, post of the year!

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Here's your new avatar:
    [​IMG]

artfromtex, Shawn, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  24. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Thank you for the heads up! I will be looking for a copy of this CD so the plug is much appreciated! Much to my wife's dismay, I love our collection of Christmas/Holiday music. I have everything from somber Choral music to Jingle Bells by The Singing Dogs. I drive my wife crazy sometimes because with Christmas music, it's possible to compare 20+ versions of the same song by different artists in a playlist while driving around. This particular part of my collection has ballooned over the years to hundreds of LPs and hundreds of CDs. These were the most fun to collect since usually the albums are played very little. There are so many great condition copies out there. People dump off a great number of Christmas CDs at the thrift store so I do great there too!

Shawn, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  25. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I always thought it would be cool to have Elvis' Separate Ways Cover and The Beatles Abby Road cover combined with The Doors Morrison Hotel cover on the street and Prince on his motorcycle from Purple Rain and a few other iconic album covers all combined into a mural.

D.B. and mark winstanley like this.