Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

This picture is from Tulsa, OK 6/20/72.

He played Fort Worth two nights prior and wore the double porthole suit first worn at.MSG.

Fort Worth's Tarrant County Convention Center, June 18, 1972. Record breaking attendance that night. They actually had to add a section of temporary seating.
    [​IMG]

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

He Is My Everything
    Written By :
    Dallas Frazier

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, June 8-11, 1971: June 9, 1971

This is a really nice track that comes across like a country ballad. I think Elvis vocal comes across really nicely here too. I like the little bang of piano thunder after the vocal that mentions it.

3. mark winstanley

Bosom Of Abraham
    Written By :
    William Johnson, George McFadden & Phillip Brooks

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, June 8-11, 1971: June 9, 1971. take 6

I always enjoyed hearing them do this on some of those videos I have, with someone at the piano and the guys stood around singing it.
    A fun and energetic track.

minkahed, BeatleJWOL, MRamble and 6 others like this.
  4. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

5. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Right on Buddy !!!

Just wanted to see if anyone else one about that.

Dave112, PepiJean and mark winstanley like this.
  6. I liked it better when it was called There Goes My Everything ;)

Iceman08, garyt1957, jeremylr and 4 others like this.
  7. Bosom of Abraham is a highlight of the album for me. I like the song in general, and Elvis and The Imperials really gel and sound like they're enjoying it. The off-the-cuff version from the On Tour film is a highlight of that movie - to have been in that room seeing them perform would have been amazing. It gives me a flavor for all those post-show jams and what they might have sounded like.

Catching up, while I enjoy Elvis' Amazing Grace, as a few others mentioned I wish he was a bit looser on the released master. Elvis was a bit too reverent, although it's still a very nice performance. Glad we have the outtake to enjoy as an alternate.

Seeing Is Believing is fine, but doesn't jump out at me as much as it used to. But it's nice to have an uptempo song like this to give counterpoint to the more subdued tracks / gives balance.

8. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

He Is My Everything is a decent enough track. I don't dislike it as much as There Goes My Everything, mainly due to the album context (it doesn't open up an album side and it acts as a nice follow-up to the previous tracks), but also because Elvis' vocal seems more sincere to me.

Bosom Of Abraham is yet another gem. I suppose I wish we could hear a bit more of Elvis, but the overall result still delivers. The EOT version is cool, but I prefer the studio performances.

JLGB, Dave112, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  9. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

He Touched Me: a great song and a great opener. Suck's you right in. I love the arrangement and Elvis delivers a vocal close to the intensity of FEIM. One of his best performances.
    I've Got Confidence: something about this song sounds cheap. Much too 'seventies' for my taste, I prefer a more traditional sound for gospel music. And is it me or is Elvis really short of breath on this track?
    Amazing Grace: not bad but not really great either. Nice and a bit boring.
    Seeing Is Believing: weakest song and weakest performance on this album. Elvis's voice is in full nasal mode and has nothing of the rich fullness it usually displays. It's really striking how much his vocal quality varies from track to track.
    He Is My Everything: it's ok. Nice but forgettable.
    Bosom of Abraham: always loved this! The vocals blend wonderfully and Elvis sings with an old testamental vengeance that's his own. As great as it is, I would have loved to hear this in his 68/69 voice!

Dave112, mark winstanley and Shawn like this.
  10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I probably like Dallas Frazier's rewrite of his huge country standard, There Goes My Everything, a lot more than most fans do. I am normally not too keen on standards like this song being hijacked for this type of rewrite, but given that is was the original writer himself that chose to do it and the fact that it seems to be well written with heartfelt lyrics, I give the whole thing a pass, and I just enjoy the two versions of the song based on their own individual merits. I like the way that Glen Spreen distinguished his own orchestral arrangements for both songs as well. The country version gets some strings with some subtle use of brass, while the religious version of the song gets nothing but some silky strings moving in and out of Elvis's velvety vocal delivery. I also like the way the piano echoes the lyrics about thunder and bells ringing as Mark points out in his post above. A really nice vocal by Elvis and some great atmospherics on the whole production.

I really dig Elvis and The Imperials great take on Bosom Of Abraham as well. I love the sequencing of this gospel album, which is not something I always notice or comment on as much as some other Elvis experts on this forum do. We get a very fine ballad, once again, followed by a very short gem of a rocking gospel song that make you wish it went on a bit longer than it did, but in a way that is the true brilliance of the whole arrangement; it makes you still wanting to hear more after it all ends. Wow, I really love this whole album, one of Elvis's very best in my opinion, be it a regular studio or a gospel album.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    minkahed, Dave112, Brian Mc and 2 others like this.
  11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

There Goes My Everything was a huge standard in the 60s. Every country singer who was anybody covered it, but I've never understood its appeal. The music is plodding and to me uninteresting. And the lyrics... well, the first line of the song is a silly redundancy ("I hear footsteps walking as they walk across the floor") that's always annoyed me. Lazy writing. I prefer the rewrite because more thought seems to have been put into the lyrics, and I kind of like the idea of the two songs as a progression... they guy loses his girlfriend who was his "everything" and then realizes there is more to life than unhealthy attachment to one person.

Interesting trivia fact... Elvis recorded He is My Everything almost exactly one year to the day after recording There Goes My Everything (the former was cut on June 8, 1970, the latter on June 9, 1971). Unfortunately, contrasting the two illustrates some of the change/decline in his voice. Nothing hugely wrong with the 1971 recording, but it lacks the depth and soulfulness of the 1970 version.

I really like Bosom of Abraham. I think I mentioned months ago that the MDQ sessions are my favorite Elvis gospel recordings of all, and this track captures a little bit of the feel of those recordings.

Iceman08, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

People tend to love these type of big, loping ballads or they simply loathe them. I love the melody and the opened throat singing they inspire, but I can sure understand those that do not. I do think you missed the key word there on the opening verse though; I hear footsteps slowly walking as they gently walk across a lonely floor. That lonely floor gives you some additional context for the the sadness of the whole story. It is only one word, but it is a powerful addition I believe.

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, the lyrics surrounding it don't change the fact that he says he hears footsteps walking as they walk, which is a redundancy. I'm sure it's the English major in me talking, but that's lazy writing. I'm hardly a lyric writer, but I think something like "I hear footsteps in the darkness/as they gently walk across a lonely floor" works much better. Or how about "I hear footsteps slowly walking/as their sound echoes 'cross the lonely floor." Those are just off the top of my head... I'm sure an actual lyric writer who gave it some thought could come up with something far better than those. Point is, using the verb "walk" twice in a row is redundant and unnecessary.

Dave112, RSteven, DirkM and 3 others like this.
  14. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

It seems to me that you could have been a pretty decent lyricist, if you had been willing to give up your day job. I particularly like your second choice of alternative lyrics. Well done, Jason.

15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, thanks, I appreciate the compliment. Lack of any discernible musical talent is gonna keep me at my day job though. It's funny how different things can catch the attention of different people. I often see people on this forum comment about how they've noticed an out-of-tune guitar or an off-key vocal on various records, and how that detracts from their enjoyment of them. I have no ear at all for that sort of thing and wouldn't be able to tell if something is off key if it smacked me with a two-by-four. And I'm glad about that. I think ignorance is bliss as far as not being able to notice those things. But since I'm an English major, it's the lyrics I pay attention to and am most apt to be critical about, if there are grammatical improprieties or lazy writing or things that just don't make sense in the storyline.

Dave112, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  16. mark winstanley

An Evening Prayer
    Written By :
    C. Maude Battersby & Charles H. Gabriel

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, May 15-21, 1971: May 18, 1971. take 10

This track reminds me a little of the stuff off his hand in mine in its styling. We have the piano playing with a somewhat freetime feel here, the backing vocals are creating a bed for Elvis to sing over.
    Elvis vocal to me here is quite spectacular. Not the best vocal he ever did or anything, but it is so committed and passionate, and that is something that has been falling off over the last couple of albums.
    I think this is one of my favourite tracks here, based purely on that commitment and passion.

minkahed, DirkM, Revelator and 2 others like this.
  17. mark winstanley

Lead Me, Guide Me
    Written By :
    Doris Akers

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, May 15-21, 1971: May 17, 1971. take 6

Again here we have that feeling of commitment and passion, that lift the song up.
    It's nice to hear Elvis doing a couple of prominent vocals, as there are several tracks with ensemble singing whereby Elvis vocal is mixed very closely with the backing. They certainly work to draw attention to the song, but this is an Elvis album at the end of the day, and it's nice to hear him stand out, and leading some songs here also.

JLGB, Revelator, Dave112 and 2 others like this.
  18. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

19. mark winstanley

20. mark winstanley

Reference Guide

Jan 27 1970
    Kentucky Rain/ My Little Friend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Apr 1970
    Lets Be Friends
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 1 Stay Away Joe Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 If I'm A Fool For Loving you Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Lets Be Friends Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Lets Forget About The Stars Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 Mama Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 I'll Be There Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 Almost Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 Change Of Habit Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 Have A Happy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Apr 20 1970
    The Wonder Of You/ Mama Liked the Roses Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

June 1970
    On Stage
    track 1 See See Rider Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 Release Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Sweet Caroline Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Runaway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 The Wonder Of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 Polk Salad Annie Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 Yesterday Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 Proud Mary Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 Walk A Mile In My Shoes Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 Let It Be Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

July 1970
    I've Lost You/ The Next Step Is Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

August 1970
    Worldwide Fifty Gold Award Hits vol 1

August 1970
    Elvis Christmas Album (Camden)

October 1970
    Almost In Love

October 6 1970
    You Don't Have To Say You Love Me/Patch It Up Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

October 1970
    Elvis in Person

October 1970
    Back In Memphis

November 11 1970
    That's The Way It Is
    track 1 I Just Can't Help Believin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 Twenty Days And Twenty Nights Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 How The Web Was Woven Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Patch It Up Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 Mary In The Morning Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 You Don't Have To Say You Love Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 I've Lost You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 Just Pretend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 Stranger In The Crowd Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 11 The Next Step Is Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 12 Bridge Over Troubled Water Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

December 8 1970
    I Don't Really Want To Know/ There Goes My Everything Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

January 7 1971
    Elvis Country (I Was Born 10,000 Years Ago)
    track 1 Snowbird Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 Tomorrow Never Comes Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Little Cabin On the Hill Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Whole Lotta Shakin Going On Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 Funny How Time Slips Away Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 I Really Don't Want To Know Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 There Goes My Everything Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 It's Your Baby, You Rock It Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 The Fool Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 Faded Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 11 I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 12 Make The World Go Away Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

February 23 1971
    Rags To Riches/Where Did They Go Lord Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

March 22 1971
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    track 2 Who Am I Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Let Us Pray Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

March 1971
    Life/Only Believe Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

June 16 1971
    Love Letters From Elvis
    track 1 Love Letters Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 When I'm Over You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 If I Were You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Got My Mojo Working/Keep Your Hands Off It Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 Heart Of Rome Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 Only Believe Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 This Is Our Dance Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 Cindy Cindy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 I'll Never Know Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 It Ain't No Big Thing Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 11 Life Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

June 22 1971
    I'm Leavin/ Heart Of Rome Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

July 1971
    C'mon Everybody

August 1971
    The Other Sides - Worldwide Gold Award Hits Vol. 2

Sept 21 1971
    It's Only Love/The Sound Of Your Cry Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Oct 1971 I Got Lucky Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Oct 20 1971 The Wonderful World Of Christmas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 1 O Come All Ye Faithful Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 The First Noel Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 On a Snowy Christmas Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Winter Wonderland Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 The Wonderful World Of Christmas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 It Won't Seem Like Christmas Without You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 I'll Be Home On Christmas Day Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 It I Get Home On Christmas Day Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 Holly Leaves and Christmas Trees Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 Merry Christmas Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 11 Silver Bells Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Nov 9 1971
    Merry Christmas Baby/ O Come All Ye Faithful Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Jan 4 1972
    Until It's Time For You To Go/ We Can Make The Morning Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Feb 1972 Elvis Now Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 1 Help Me Make It Through The Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 Miracle Of The Rosary Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Hey Jude Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Put Your Hand In The Hand Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 Until It's Time For You To Go Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 We Can Make The Morning Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 Early Morning Rain Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 Sylvia Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 Fools Rush In Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 I Was Born About Ten Thousand Years Ago Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Feb 29 1972
    He Touched Me/ Bosom Of Abraham

April 1 1972 He Touched Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 1 He Touched Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track to
    track 2 I've Got Confidence Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Amazing Grace Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Seeing Is Believing Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 He Is My Everything Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 Bosom Of Abraham Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 An Evening Prayer Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 Lead Me, Guide Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

minkahed and LoveandTheft like this.
  21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

An Evening Prayer features one of my favorite Elvis vocals ever for all the reasons you mention in your post above. It reminds me in a strange way of the intense emotion and sense of relief both artist and listener receive after Elvis's stupendous version of Hurt a few years later on Elvis's penultimate studio album, From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis Tennessee. Both songs only last around two minutes in length, and both singer and listener are seemingly emotional spent after this short time. This type of passionate and gut wrenching singing is not meant for the faint of heart.

I really enjoy Elvis leading the vocal group through Lead Me, Guide Me as well. Another strong performance and fine vocal arrangement. As much as I always liked side one of He Touched Me, I actually find side two an even better and more consistent listen as well. It starts and ends with two of my favorite vocal performances by Elvis from the 70's, An Evening Prayer and Reach Out To Jesus.

JLGB, Revelator and mark winstanley like this.
  22. I don't know why, but An Evening Prayer doesn't do much for me. It's a committed, passionate vocal but it's just not a song that grabs me. Now Lead Me, Guide Me is a whole other story - another highlight of this very good album. It just works on every level. And I know it's a bit cliched in certain styles of music, but that hard stop followed by the snare drum hit makes my day every time I hear it. I have the impression this is one of those songs Elvis sang in those late-night jam sessions, or sitting alone at the piano at Gracelan, hundreds of times over the years.

The performance from On Tour is even better. Oh to have been there to see that being filmed...

23. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

That would have been a great progression! I never thought of it that way.

24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I was so focused on your constructive and well thought out criticism of the lyrics to There Goes My Everything that I somehow skimmed over your equally astute analysis of Frazier's two songs and why you prefer the latter one, until I read @Dave112's post above. I like the way you put both of the songs together as a sort of personal "progression" on behalf of the storyteller. As Dave said in his quote, I never would have thought of that either without your analysis.

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  25. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I may have already said this for another song but I might need to retract my statements for this song. Don't ask me why but this song encapsulates everything about E that I love. I'll often put this on repeat. Great arrangement.

Dave112, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.