Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I never had any of the quadrophonic records.... by the time I was buying music it had died.

Here is the main page for sacd, most are quad/multichannel, but be aware some are stereo.
    duttonvocalion.co.uk store: | SACD & Surround Sound | | 2

Sorry for the sideline guys. Hope we're still friends :)

Dave112, RSteven and Shawn like this.
  3. Get them to do the Elvis quad LPs ;)

4. mark winstanley

I desperately want the Elvis Quads and the Frank Zappa Quads ... it irritates me like a rash on the back of my neck that they aren't out there.

Jaap74, BeatleJWOL, Dave112 and 2 others like this.
  5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Hey, thats a cool idea, but I know Sony Music is probably extremely reluctant to turn over even a temporary copyright on any of Elvis's catalogue to a third party label, but you never know what the future holds. I already have RGM's approval for another holiday album from the Golden Age of Christmas, but since we are dealing with Universal Music, I am not confident that they can get their act together to approve the project given the year that they are having with the whole fire debacle in 2007 that reared its ugly head again.

I was super disappointed with not getting the Charlie Rich project approved in time as I had visions of Vic Anesini handling the remastering for the project, but it was not to be. I had great support from one of Real Gone Music's major music consultants as well, but like I said, I had no track record of success at the time in the record business. I am very careful about what I recommend to Mr. Anderson, and so far I have only suggested three projects, counting the Charlie Rich proposal, and two of them Gordon has already approved.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I was under the impression that late last year a new corporate directive from Sony established that the company is ceasing licensing product the third-party labels. Perhaps a sign that the company has plans to wind-down physical product as streaming platforms continue to be huge revenue generators. I could be wrong, but I thought I came across that from a thread on this message board.

That being said, before jumping into a Quad reissue, I would like to see a mono box set for Elvis.

Sebastian, ClausH, PepiJean and 5 others like this.
  7. Well they've licensed material out to Friday Music, DCC, Audio Fidelity, MFSL, etc. so there's hope!

Dave112, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

Apparently that sort of third-party licensing activity by Sony may be coming to an end.

minkahed, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  9. Ah too bad if true. While I'm not much on reissues, I'd love to see a 3rd party like Dutton put out an SACD of, say, the quad mix of FEIM or Promised Land.

Dave112, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I have been following the same rumors pretty closely and I guess the final verdict is still out. Mr. Anderson says his relationship with the various labels has not changed, but he too has been doing a lot more vinyl releases lately than CD it seems like. He does have a two CD greatest hits compilation coming from Sony/Columbia country singer Janie Frickie coming out this month, but who the heck knows when they originally actually got that approval for that release, which basically is already streaming on various platforms, I believe. Yes, I am still concerned like you that the major labels are actively winding down their CD business, and most especially, to third party labels.

11. mark winstanley

Both .... all .... they say stuff isn't selling but that's bollocks. Folks on here are keeping the damn industry alive lol

Dave112, Shawn and RSteven like this.
  12. They should get the $ while they can. I doubt they'd ever stream quad!

13. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Any issues with the Al Quaglieri-produced reissue of Behind Closed Doors? Just curious.

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  14. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Charlie Rich's Behind Closed Doors album was originally engineered by Lou Bradley so well that I have never heard a bad version on CD, but I will say that the original Columbia Collector's Choice version from the 1980s, which I guess most people on this forum would just call a straight transfer, seems slightly warmer to me than Al Quaglieri's fine version. I am hoping that Michael Dutton's remaster for the SACD exceeds the sound on both of those fine efforts as I really liked what he did with Charlie Rich's previous SACD, The Silver Fox/Very Special Love Songs for Vocalion.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  15. mark winstanley

I, John
    Written By :
    William Johnson, George McFadden & Phillip Brooks

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, June 8-11, 1971: June 9, 1971. take 2

This track seems to be very traditional gospel. It has a great feel, even with the piano comping on one chord and the beat sitting in a really nice groove. We have another really nice vocal arrangement, and Elvis letting it rip a couple of times. This is an excellent piece of work.
    We do have a reverb on the vocals, but for me it is certainly not too splashy, it works just fine to my ears and just gives the vocals a little extra character.

Brian Mc, Tord, JLGB and 4 others like this.
  16. mark winstanley

Reach Out To Jesus
    Written By :
    Ralph Carmichael

Recorded :
    RCA's Studio B, Nashville, June 8-11, 1971: June 8, 1971. take 10

This track has a really nice piano accompaniment. We have a gentle country ballad beat and it feels like they were right on it. We getting a key modulation about halfway through and ity gives the song that little bit of musical kick.
    All the vocals come across really well, and Elvis does a great job. Just before the end we get another key modulation and Elvis puts in a great finish to the song. The arrangement of the harmonies at the end is excellent also.

Brian Mc, JLGB, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  17. mark winstanley

As an intro to the next album, and roughly in line with the timeline here is the press conference for the New York MSG concert.

18. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

19. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

20. My luggage!

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  21. I, John is another highlight. Wonderful track, everyone is fully vested. Another song I can listen to every day and not get tired of it. Reach Out To Jesus has some amazing vocals, especially that ending! But conversely, this is a song I couldn't listen to every day.

RSteven, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  22. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

oh God, u guys r hilarious around here !!! LMFAO

23. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

If this statement is actually true, could this that mean that my copies of the Friday music LP'S, (most of them on colored vinyl) are to going be collectible and/or valuable ?

24. PacificOceanBlue

Probably so.

25. PacificOceanBlue

This recording not only has a tremendous lead vocal from Elvis, but it has a terrific arrangement, very much in the style of Swing Down Sweet Chariot (His Hand In Mine version). A notable highlight from Elvis’ final gospel project.

Rick H., Tord, PepiJean and 5 others like this.