Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Aug 15, 2018.

1. I know Elvis was a fan of Ivory Joe Hunter (heck, I am too) but this might just be my least favorite Elvis song of the 1950's. Elvis' vocal is fine, but I cringe at that arrangement, those backing vocals are atrocious.

johnny q, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

They spoil what could have been a great track to me also

Shawn likes this.
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I mentioned earlier that these were the first sessions where Elvis worked with a different core band. This is a track where the difference is notable and drummer Buddy Harmon really shines. His work, particularly in the middle eight section (“I’ve been waiting just for the night...”) is really fantastic. No knock against DJ Fontana, whose work I really love, but Harmon really takes things to a different level with his drumming here.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

When I hear the song, I can picture a comedy sketch with Elvis and a Nordic opera lady. A lot of songs from other artists were a little over the top during those years so I guess that was what they were hoping for.

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Meanwhile this track features a fantastic solo from Hank Garland... melodic and more complex than the type of stuff Scotty played. Garland was a real genius and his work will figure largely in the next few years of Elvis’ recordings.

minkahed and mark winstanley like this.
  6. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

The Colonel actually liked this one more than "A Big Hunk O' Love", because Elvis was more audible. Gives some insight into creative tensions between the 2, since Elvis preferred not to be the center of attention in terms of balance.

Also this was one of those songs that was hell to record. It seems no one was satisfied with any version, and after the September 6th session they tried a couple more times to remake the song (now lost), but I guess they were thought to be even worse. I do like the master though so I think they were maybe overthinking it a tad.

It is interesting that at this time Elvis was doing a lot of remakes of songs for various reasons; by the mid-1960's it was one and done.

RSteven, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I agree with the consensus that My Wish Came True is a rare arrangement misstep from Elvis. I know that he liked to highlight his backing vocalists, but I think the problem is that Millie Kirkham’s part just doesn’t fit with the rest of the song. Elvis gives a subtle, understated performance, while Kirkham just sounds so melodramatic. I like her work on Blue Christmas, but not here. I’m surprised Elvis made the call to have her sing like this.

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Here's a photo from the session:
    [​IMG]

9. mark winstanley

[​IMG][​IMG]
    A Date with Elvis is a compilation album by American singer and musician Elvis Presley, issued on RCA Victor Records(LPM 2011) in July 1959. The album compiled a selection of previously released material from multiple sessions at Sun, an August 1956 recording session at 20th Century Fox Stage One and two from Radio Recorders in Hollywood. The album reached #32 on the Billboard Top Pop Albums chart.

After Presley's induction into the army on March 24, 1958, RCA Victor and his manager, Colonel Tom Parker, were faced with the prospect of keeping his name before the public for two years with no possibility of live performances, no movies, and with few unissued marketable recordings in the vault. A recording session was arranged for two days in June, which yielded enough items for five more single sides, singles being the commercial focus for rock and roll in the 1950s. Four of those tracks would be issued on 45s in 1958 and 1959 during his absence while doing military service.

Presley, however, also did well in the albums market, all but one of his previous seven LPs charting no lower than #3, and RCA Victor wished to continue issuing albums by Presley given his sales record. Much of Presley's material had not been released on LP, and for this album RCA Victor collected material previously unavailable on album. Like its predecessor For LP Fans Only, this album featured tracks that had been issued on Sun Records with limited release, and were almost impossible to locate beyond certain parts of the south. However all 5 Sun singles were reissued by RCA Victor in November 1955 and remained in print through the 1970s. The remaining five tracks derived from three different EPsissued in 1956 and 1957.

Even by the standards of the late 1950s and early 1960s, where long-playing albums often ran to only about 35 minutes, this was a very short album at twenty-three minutes, and as such became the lowest charting Presley LP of the decade. RCA Victor would squeeze one more album in 1959 out of previously issued material, the second hit singles collection, but it too would be a lower seller by previous standard. Presley would return from overseas in 1960 to commence proper recording again. This album also folds out to be a calendar for the year 1960.

A different version of the album, duplicating six tracks from the American release, but expanding the track list to a healthy fourteen, was issued in Australia on vinyl in September 1959.

In 1986, The Cramps released an otherwise unrelated album also entitled A Date with Elvis.

RCA reissued the original 10-track album on compact disc in 1989. The album is also available in the 2016 boxed set, Elvis Presley - The Complete RCA Album Collection.

1. "Blue Moon of Kentucky" Bill Monroe July 7, 1954 2:02 -
    2. "Young And Beautiful" Aaron Schroeder, Abner Silver April 30, 1957 2:02 - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    3. "(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care" Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller April 30, 1957 1:51 - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    4. "Milk Cow Blues Boogie" Kokomo Arnold November 12, 1954 2:38 - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    5. "Baby Let's Play House" Arthur Gunter February 5, 1955 2:15 - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    6. "Good Rockin' Tonight" Roy Brown September 10, 1954 2:12 - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    7. "Is It So Strange" Faron Young January 19, 1957 2:28 - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    8. "We're Gonna Move" Vera Matson, Elvis Presley August 24, 1956 2:30 - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    9. "I Want To Be Free" Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller April 30, 1957 2:12 - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    10. "I Forgot to Remember to Forget" Stan Kesler, Charlie Feathers July 11, 1955 2:28 - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

(rca complete albums collection bonus tracks)
    11. Don't Leave Me Now - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    12. Harbor Lights

-------------------------------------------------
    Another compile of Sun tracks and b-sides while waiting for the return of Elvis from the Army.
    Again we have most of these tracks covered from the Sun singles and the EP sets that had been previously released.

10. mark winstanley

Blue Moon Of Kentucky
    "Blue Moon of Kentucky"
    Single by Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass Boys
    Released September 1947
    Genre Bluegrass
    Label Columbia
    Songwriter(s) Bill Monroe
    "Blue Moon of Kentucky" is a waltz written in 1946 by bluegrass musician Bill Monroe and recorded by his band, the Blue Grass Boys. The song has since been recorded by many artists, including Elvis Presley. In 2003, the song was chosen to be added to the United States Library of Congress National Recording Registry.

"Blue Moon of Kentucky"
    Single by Elvis Presley
    A-side
    "That's All Right"
    Released July 19, 1954
    Format 7″ single
    Recorded July 7, 1954
    Genre Rockabilly
    Length 1:57
    Label Sun (original)
    RCA Victor (reissue)
    Songwriter(s) Bill Monroe
    Producer(s) Sam Phillips
    Elvis Presley singles chronology
    "Blue Moon of Kentucky"
    (1954) "Good Rockin' Tonight"
    (1955)
    The search for another song to release along with "That's All Right"[3] at Sun Records in July 1954 led to "Blue Moon of Kentucky" via Bill Black. According to Scotty Moore:

We all of us knew we needed something...and things seemed hopeless after a while. Bill is the one who came up with "Blue Moon of Kentucky"...We're taking a little break and he starts beating on the bass and singing "Blue Moon of Kentucky", mocking Bill Monroe, singing the high falsetto voice. Elvis joins in with him, starts playing and singing along with him.

— The Blue Moon Boys - The Story of Elvis Presley's Band, [4]
    Presley, Moore, and Black, with the encouragement of Sam Phillips, transformed Monroe's slow waltz, in 3
    4 time
    , into an upbeat, blues-flavored tune in 4
    4 time

After an early rendition of the song, Sun Records owner Sam Phillips exclaimed, "BOY, that's fine, that's fine. That's a POP song now!."[5] As with all of the Presley records issued by Sun, the artists were listed and stylized as "ELVIS PRESLEY SCOTTY and BILL".[6]

The same night that Dewey Phillips first played the flip side of this first release of Presley's music on WHBQ, "That's All Right", Sleepy Eye John at WHHM loosed "Blue Moon of Kentucky". Bob Neal of WMPS played the record, too. The pop jockeys, entranced by something new, began slipping "That's All Right" and "Blue Moon of Kentucky" in among the easy-listening pop of Teresa Brewer, Nat Cole, Tony Bennett, and others.[7]

With Presley's version of Monroe's song consistently rated higher, both sides began to chart across the Southern United States.[8] Billboard has the song listed only in Memphis, and as number six with "That's All Right" at number 7 on October 9 in the C&W Territorial Best Sellers.[9] By October 23, "Blue Moon" was in the top 10 in Memphis, Nashville, and New Orleans, with "That's All Right" absent from the listings.[10]

Fellow Sun Records artist Charlie Feathers has often claimed that he came up with the arrangement of the song used by Presley. While others sources claimed that it was Presley who arranged the song.

The song was later used in a scene of the 2005 TV miniseries Elvis.
    --------------------------------------

I'm not sure how we missed this one back in the Sun singles ... I guess it wasn't a single. Anyhow this is a great track and really has a bit of pep to it. Certainly not the Waltz that Monroe had written and part of Elvis' early rewriting and rearranging experiments that worked really well.

Dave112 likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

Harbor Lights
    "Harbor Lights"
    Song by Frances Langford
    Published 1937
    Composer(s) Hugh Williams
    Lyricist(s) Jimmy Kennedy
    "Harbor Lights", also "Harbour Lights" in UK editions and releases, is a popular song by Hugh Williams (pseudonym for Austrian exile composer Will Grosz) with lyrics by Northern Irish songwriter Jimmy Kennedy. This song was originally sung by American singer Frances Langford in 1937,[1] and was published again in 1950.

Another Sun side. I love this, to me it is absolutely beautiful.

Dave112 likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

13. mark winstanley

14. mark winstanley

15. mark winstanley

16. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

So glad I'm not alone. I've always felt that way, even as a child. A good song ruined by an out of place, overzealous, operatic-sounding backing track. Cringey.

mark winstanley likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

18. mark winstanley

[​IMG][​IMG]

A TOUCH OF GOLD. VOLUME 2 (EP)
    (US) RCA EPA 5101
    Released: September 9, 1959
    Side 1
    Wear My Ring Around Your Neck - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Treat Me Nice - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Side 2
    One Night - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    That's All Right - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    So we have a continuation of repackaged songs. Keeping Elvis' in the public eye until his release. By this stage most of the material they had left from his recording sessions had been issued in some form or another, and re-released in some form or another.
    As always the links are provided if anyone wants to revisit the songs.

19. mark winstanley

[​IMG][​IMG]

ELVIS' CHRISTMAS ALBUM (LP)
    (US) RCA LPM 1951
    Released: September 25, 1959

Re-release of LOC 1035 with a different cover.

RSteven likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

RSteven likes this.
  21. mark winstanley

22. mark winstanley

So the Fifties comes to a close with a series of re-releases to keep the flame alive while Elvis was in the army.

They had done very well to spread the releases out, using some unreleased Sun sides and a bunch of, mainly, fantastic singles that Elvis had belted out in quick time between Basic Training and deployment. These singles all came together for the last release of the Fifties .......

[​IMG][​IMG]

50,000,000 ELVIS FANS CAN'T BE WRONG (LP)
    ELVIS GOLDEN RECORDS Vol 2
    (US) RCA LPM 2075
    Released: November 13, 1959
    Side 1
    I Need Your Love Tonight - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Don't - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Wear My Ring Around Your Neck - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    My Wish Came True - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    I Got Stung - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Side 2
    One Night - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Big Hunk O' Love - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    I Beg Of You - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Fool Such As I - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Doncha' Think It's Time - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Elvis' Gold Records, Volume 2 (also known as 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong) is a compilation album by American singer and musician Elvis Presley, issued by RCA Victor in November 1959. It is a compilation of hit singles released in 1958 and 1959 by Presley, from recording sessions going back as far as February 1957.

The title of this album is shown on the original record's labels as "Elvis' Gold Records, Vol. 2," with a comma and an abbreviation of "Volume", but on the jacket, it appears as "Elvis' Gold Records — Volume 2". The phrase "50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong" does not appear on the labels of any of the original records, and it is the title of the records—not the jacket—that is usually given preference when conflicting titles appear on albums. Therefore, the phrase was not part of the original title of the album. It was from 1959 through 1961; beginning no later than 1962, RCA Victor added "50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong" to the labels of a few mono records and to the newly released "electronically reprocessed stereo" records. The boasting on the label appears nearly exclusively on records from RCA Victor's Hollywood pressing plant; copies pressed at the other plants tended to use the proper title only. It remained there for several years, but by 1968, it was removed from the labels and was not found on any records for years, but then it was added (again), this time to the CD releases of this album, where it has stayed.

"Elvis' Gold Records, Vol. 2" peaked at number 31 on the Billboard Top Pop Albums chart.[1] It was certified by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for a Gold Record Award (based on $1,000,000 in wholesale sales) on November 1, 1966. It was certified for a Platinum Record Award for sales of one million copies in the US on March 27, 1992.[2]

Elvis' Gold Records, Vol. 2 consists of both sides of five singles released during 1958 and 1959. Two sides made number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, and six others reached the Top 10. In the 1950s, a Gold Record awarded to a single required certified sales of one million copies in the United States. This is different from the definition in use since the 1990s, when a Gold Record for a single was reduced to sales of 500,000 units.

In 1984, RCA reissued the original 10 track album on compact disc in reprocessed (fake) stereo sound. This issue was quickly withdrawn and the disc was reissued in original monophonic. RCA reissued the album again in 1997 in a 20 track expanded edition, adding one A-side ("Hard Headed Woman") and one B-side ("Playing For Keeps"), along with tracks from top-selling EPs (e.g., "Peace In The Valley"). Several of those EP tracks were hit singles in other countries, notably the UK (i.e., "Santa Bring My Baby Back To Me"). The bonus tracks are interspersed within the original tracks, with the running order to the album substantially altered.

The unified Billboard Hot 100 singles chart was not created until August, 1958. Chart positions for records (below) prior to this date were taken from the magazine's "Best Sellers in Stores" chart. In some cases, the early measurement of success of rock and roll records also came from the "Most Played on Jukeboxes" chart. Chart positions (below) for the bonus tracks on the CDs were taken from the peak position that the EP album achieved on Billboard's then extant EP chart (1957–60).

The famous cover photo, of multiple images of Elvis wearing the gold lamé suit designed by Nudie's of Hollywood,[3] has been copied many times. Album covers so inspired include:

The meme has also been adopted to other media, such as:

• The 1982 bootleg Elvis' Greatest ****, a compilation of tracks and out-takes that the bootlegger considered among Presley's worst recordings, is subtitled "50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can Be Wrong".
    • The second album by the group Dread Zeppelin, which is fronted by an Elvis impersonator, from 1991 is titled 5,000,000 in reference to this album; the footnote says "*Tortelvis Fans Can't Be Wrong." The cover more obviously parodies Led Zeppelin's fourth album.[11]
    • The title used verbatim in the lyrics to "The Thanksgiving Song", by Adam Sandler in 1993.
    • The 1997 documentary by Joe Franklin 50,000,000 Joe Franklin Fans Can't Be Wrong.
    • Marilyn Manson's 1998 book The Long Hard Road Out of Hell contains a chapter entitled "Fifty Million Screaming Christians Can't Be Wrong".[12]
    • Mindless Self Indulgence's song "You'll Rebel To Anything" from their 2005 album of the same name contains the lyrics, "you're telling me that 50,000,000 screaming fans are never wrong, I'm telling you that 50,000,000 screaming fans are ****ing morons".
    • Die! Die! Die!'s self-titled debut features a song named "Franz (17 Die! Die! Die! Fans Can't Be Wrong)" in 2006.
    • Stephan Pastis, author of comic strip Pearls Before Swine, released a collection in 2010 titled "50,000,000 Pearls Fans Can't Be Wrong."[13]
    • In 2013, the band Supersuckers released a free digital EP entitled 50,000 Middle Fingers Can't Be Wrong.[14]
    • Doc Yewll references this album while talking with T'evgin in the Defiance 3rd-season episode, The Last Unicorns.
    The blurb "50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong" that became an on-and-off part of the album's title originated with a one-page article titled "Can Fifty Million Americans Be Wrong" by Les Brown that appeared in the September 19, 1956, issue of Down Beat magazine. The article was an unfavorable look at Elvis and his fans, with Brown bemoaning the lack of appreciation of the "fine talents" of Jeri Southern, Dick Haymes, and "other serious vocal artists." The article concludes, "The educational responsibility seems to fall mainly on the disc jockey, who still has the greatest proximity to, and the greatest influence over, the record-buying public. Fifty million Americans can easily be misled."[15] The article was written in response to a statement from Steve Sholes, Elvis' producer, estimating that fifty million Elvis Presley records had been sold over the course of his career up to that point. Sholes said: "Every record Elvis has ever made for us has sold over a million. Since January, 1956, we've sold 50 million Elvis Presley records in this country alone, not counting foreign sales or albums."[16]

The expression "Fifty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong," originating in a 1927 song by Willie Raskin, Billy Rose, and Fred Fisher and performed by Sophie Tucker, predated its use in Brown's article.[17] The song prompted the creation of a popular snowclone about fifty million people being wrong. Methodist pastor J. Resler Shultz of Harrisburg, PA, used "Can fifty million Americans be wrong" as the title of a sermon in 1931.[18] Articles with similar titles have appeared somewhat frequently since that time—some being about food, politics, or religion.[19]

1997 reissue with bonus tracks
    No. - Song title - Writer(s) - Recorded Catalogue - Release date - Chart peak - Time
    1. "A Big Hunk O' Love" - Aaron Schroeder and Sidney Wyche - June 10, 1958 47-7600 - June 23, 1959 - 1 - 2:12
    2. "My Wish Came True" - Ivory Joe Hunter - September 6, 1957 47-7600b - June 23, 1959 - 12 - 2:33
    3. "(Now and Then There's) A Fool Such As I" - Bill Trader - June 10, 1958 47-7506 - March 10, 1959 - 2 - 2:36
    4. "I Need Your Love Tonight" - Bix Reichner and Sid Wayne - June 10, 1958 47-7506b - March 10, 1959 - 4 - 2:04
    5. "Don't" - Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller - September 6, 1957 47-7150 - January 7, 1958 - 1 - 2:48
    6. "I Beg of You" - Rose Marie McCoy and Cliff Owens - February 23, 1957 47-7150b - January 7, 1958 - 8 - 1:50
    7. "Santa Bring My Baby Back (To Me)" - Aaron Schroeder and Claude DeMetrius - September 7, 1957 LOC 1035 - October 15, 1957 - - 1:54
    8. "Santa Claus Is Back In Town" - Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller - September 7, 1957 LOC 1035 - October 15, 1957 - - 2:22
    9. "Party" - Jessie Mae Robinson - January 21, 1957 LPM 1515 - July 1, 1957 - - 1:26
    10. "Paralyzed" - Otis Blackwell and Elvis Presley - September 2, 1956 LPM 1382 - October 19, 1956 - 59 - 2:23
    11. "One Night" - Dave Bartholomew, Pearl King - February 23, 1957 47-7410 - October 21, 1958 - 4 - 2:29
    12. "I Got Stung" - David Hill and Aaron Schroeder - June 11, 1958 47-7410b - October 21, 1958 - 8 - 1:49
    13. "King Creole" - Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller - January 23, 1958 LPM 1884 - September 19, 1958 - - 2:08
    14. "Wear My Ring Around Your Neck" - Bert Carroll and Moody Russell - February 1, 1958 47-7240 - April 1, 1958 - 3 - 2:13
    15. "Don'cha Think It's Time" - Luther Dixon and Clyde Otis - February 1, 1958 47-7240b - April 1, 1958 - 21 - 1:54
    16. "Mean Woman Blues" - Claude DeMetrius - January 13, 1957 LPM 1515 - July 1, 1957 - - 2:15
    17. "Playing for Keeps" - Stan Kesler - September 1, 1956 47-6800b - January 4, 1957 - 34 - 2:50
    18. "Hard Headed Woman" - Claude DeMetrius - January 15, 1958 47-7280 - June 10, 1958 - 2 - 1:53
    19. "Got a Lot o' Livin' to Do" - Aaron Schroeder and Ben Weisman - January 12, 1957 LPM 1515 - July 1, 1957 - - 2:31
    20. "(There'll Be) Peace in the Valley (For Me)" - Thomas A. Dorsey - January 13, 1957 EPA 4054 - April 1, 1957 - 39 - 3:22

Follow That Dream re-issue[edit]
    Disc 1 Disc 2
    LP Masters:
    No.
    Title Length
    1. "I Need Your Love Tonight" 2:04
    2. "Don't" 2:43
    3. "Wear My Ring Around Your Neck" 2:13
    4. "My Wish Came True" 2:33
    5. "I Got Stung" 1:49
    6. "One Night" 2:32
    7. "A Big Hunk O’ Love" (splice 3/4) 2:12
    8. "I Beg Of You" 1:53
    9. "(Now And Then There’s) A Fool Such As I" 2:36
    10. "Doncha’ Think It’s Time" (splice 40/39 – LP version) 1:54
    Bonus Masters:
    No.
    Title Length
    11. "Your Cheatin’ Heart" 2:24
    12. "Ain’t That Loving You Baby" 2:22
    13. "Doncha’ Think It’s Time" (splice 47/40/48 - original single master) 1:54
    February 1958 Session:
    No.
    Title Length
    14. "Wear My Ring Around Your Neck" (undubbed) 2:13
    15. "Your Cheatin’ Heart" (alternate take 9) 2:24
    16. "Doncha’ Think It’s Time" (take 39) 1:54
    17. "Doncha’ Think It’s Time" (take 40) 1:57
    18. "Doncha’ Think It’s Time" (take 47) 1:55
    19. "Doncha’ Think It’s Time" (take 48) 1:54
    June 1958 Sessions:
    No.
    Title Length
    20. "A Big Hunk O’ Love" (take 1, pb)
    21. "A Big Hunk O’ Love" (take 2, pb)
    22. "A Big Hunk O’ Love" (take 3, pb)
    23. "A Big Hunk O’ Love" (take 4, pb)
    24. "Ain’t That Loving You Baby" (take 1, pb)
    25. "Ain’t That Loving You Baby" (take 2, lfs)
    26. "Ain’t That Loving You Baby" (take 3, fs)
    27. "Ain’t That Loving You Baby" (take 4, m)
    28. "Ain’t That Loving You Baby" (take 5, fs)
    29. "Ain’t That Loving You Baby" (take 6, lfs)
    30. "Ain’t That Loving You Baby" (take 7, lfs)
    31. "Ain’t That Loving You Baby" (take 8, lfs)
    32. "Ain’t That Loving You Baby" (take 9, lfs)
    33. "Ain’t That Loving You Baby" (take 10, lfs)
    34. "Ain’t That Loving You Baby" (take 11, lfs)
    June 1958 Sessions:
    No.
    Title Length
    1. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 1, lfs, starts with part of demo)
    2. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 2, fs)
    3. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 3, fs)
    4. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 4, pb)
    5. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 5, pb)
    6. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 6, incomplete)
    7. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 7, pb)
    8. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 8, incomplete)
    9. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 9, pb)
    10. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 10a, pb)
    11. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 10b, incomplete)
    12. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 11, lfs)
    13. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 12, fs)
    14. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 13, pb)
    15. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 14, pb)
    16. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 15, pb)
    17. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 16, lfs)
    18. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 17, fs)
    19. "I Need Your Love Tonight" (take 18, m)
    20. "(Now And Then There’s) A Fool Such As I" (take 1, Fs)
    21. "(Now And Then There’s) A Fool Such As I" (take 2, Fs)
    22. "(Now And Then There’s) A Fool Such As I" (take 3, Pb)
    23. "(Now And Then There’s) A Fool Such As I" (take 4, Fs)
    24. "(Now And Then There’s) A Fool Such As I" (take 5, Pb)
    25. "(Now And Then There’s) A Fool Such As I" (take 6, Fs)
    26. "(Now And Then There’s) A Fool Such As I" (take 7, Fs)
    27. "(Now And Then There’s) A Fool Such As I" (take 8, Pb)
    28. "(Now And Then There’s) A Fool Such As I" (take 9, M)
    29. "I Got Stung" (take 1, lfs)
    30. "I Got Stung" (take 2, fs)
    31. "I Got Stung" (take 3, lfs)
    32. "I Got Stung" (take 4, fs)
    33. "I Got Stung" (take 5, fs)
    34. "I Got Stung" (take 6, fs)
    35. "I Got Stung" (take 7, fs)
    36. "I Got Stung" (take 8, pb)
    37. "I Got Stung" (take 9, fs)
    38. "I Got Stung" (take 10, pb)
    39. "I Got Stung" (take 11, pb)
    40. "I Got Stung" (take 12, pb)
    41. "I Got Stung" (take 13 fs, fs)
    42. "I Got Stung" (take 14, pb)
    43. "I Got Stung" (take 15, lfs)
    44. "I Got Stung" (take 16, pb)
    45. "I Got Stung" (take 17, fs)
    46. "I Got Stung" (take 18, lfs)
    47. "I Got Stung" (take 20, pb)
    48. "I Got Stung" (take 21, fs)
    49. "I Got Stung" (take 22, pb)
    50. "I Got Stung" (take 23, lfs)
    51. "I Got Stung" (take 24, m)
    Elvis Sails EP:
    No.
    Title Length
    52. "Press Interview With Elvis Presley" (At Brooklyn Army Terminal) 5:26
    53. "Elvis Presley's Newsreel Interview" 2:20
    54. "Pat Hernon Interviews Elvis" (In the Library of the U.S.S. Randall at Sailing) 2:15

--------------------------
    So there are a few different options for this album and it is a great collection of songs. I personally just got the Complete RCA albums set, but I know that the Follow That Dream release would be appealing to many.
    That brings us to the end of the fifties and with Elvis not being back from the army until a few months into 1960, there would be a couple more re-issue sets before the new material hits the market.

23. mark winstanley

The Music - Quick find quide

The Sun Recordings (some, not all)
    -
    My Happiness Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    The My happiness transfer to digital - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    That's All Right Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Good Rockin' Tonight Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    You're A Heartbreaker Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Milk Cow Blues Boogie Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Baby Let's Play House Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Mystery Train Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I Forgot To Remember To Forget Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Sun EP's
    That's Alright Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Good Rockin' Tonight Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Jan 27 1956
    Heartbreak Hotel Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    b-side I Was The One Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Elvis Presley - March 23 - 1956
    - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 1 Blue Suede Shoes Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 2 I'm Counting On You Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 3 I Got A Woman Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 4 One Sided Love Affair Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 5 I Love You Because Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    track 6 Just Because Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    track 7 Tutti Frutti Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 8 Tryin' To Get To You Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    Tryin' to get to you Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 9 I'm Gonna Sit Right Down (and cry)Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 10 I'll Never Let You Go (li'l darlin') Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    tarck 11 Blue Moon Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    track 12 Money Honey Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

March 23 1956
    Elvis Presley EP Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

double EP Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

April 20 1956
    Heartbreak Hotel EP Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

May 4 1956
    I Want You I Need You I Love You Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    b-side My Baby Left me Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    I want you I need you I love you - live Milton Berle Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

June 8 1956

Shake Rattle and Roll Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

July 13 1956
    Don't Be Cruel Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    (bside - but essentially double a side) Hound Dog Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

August 17 1956
    The Real Elvis Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Aug 31 1956 - 7 singles released
    Blue suede shoes/Tutti Frutti
    I got a woman/I'm counting on you
    I'll never let you go/I'm gonna sit right down and cry over you
    trying to get to you/i love you because
    blue moon/just because
    money honey/one sided love affair
    Shake Rattle and Roll Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    b-side Lawdy Miss Clawdy Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Sept 5 1956
    Any Way You Want Me Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Sept 14 1956
    Love me tender - single Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    (Love Me Tender, single b-side) Any Way You Want Me Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Ed Sullivan Show 9 Sept, 28 Oct, 6 Jan 57(Including Footage) - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

The Complete Mississippi-Alabama Fair and Dairy Show on 29. Sept 1956
    - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    another edit - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Elvis - October 1956 - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 1 Rip It Up Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 2 Love Me Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 3 When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 4 Long Tall Sally Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 5 First In Line Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 6 Paralyzed Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Paralyzed (rock and roll dancing) Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 7 So Glad Your Mine Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 8 Old Shep Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 9 Ready Teddy Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Ready Teddy tv performance Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 10 Anyplace Is Paradise Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 11 How's The World Treating You Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 12 How Do You Think I Feel Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Oct 19 1956 -
    Elvis vol 1 EP
    Elvis Vol 2 EP

Interviews 1956 - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Love Me Tender EP - Nov 1 1956 - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 1 Love Me Tender Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 2 Let Me Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 3 Poor Boy Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 4 We're Gonna Move Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Jan 4 1957
    Too Much Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Too Much Ed Sullivan show Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    b-side Playing For Keeps Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Jan 25 1957
    Strictly Elvis EP Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

March 22 1957
    All Shook Up Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    b-side That's When Your Heartaches Begin Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

April 11 1957
    Peace in The Valley EP
    track 1 Peace In The Valley Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Peace in the Valley (Ed Sullivan Show) Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 2 It's No Secret What God Can Do Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 3 I Believe Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 4 Take My Hand Precious Lord Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

June 11 1957
    Teddy Bear Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    b-side Loving You Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

June 20 1957
    Loving You LP
    track 1 Mean Woman Blues Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 2 Teddy Bear Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 3 Loving You Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 4 Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 5 Lonesome Cowboy Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 6 Hot Dog Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 7 (lets have a) Party Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 8 Blueberry Hill Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 9 True Love Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 10 Don't Leave Me Now Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 11 Have I Told You Lately That I Love You Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 12 I Need You So Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    (Rca complete albums bonus track) Tell Me Why Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

June 20 1957
    Loving You EP vol 1 & 2

August 21 1957
    Just For You EP
    track 1 I Need You So - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 2 Have I Told You Lately That I Love You - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 3 Blueberry Hill - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 4 It's So Strange - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    It's So Strange - Million Dollar Quartet Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    or alternately
    Don't Leave Me Now Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

September 24 1957
    Jailhouse Rock Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Treat Me Nice Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

October 15 1957
    Elvis Christmas Album
    track 1 Santa Claus Is Back In Town Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 2 White Christmas Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 3 Here Comes Santa Claus Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 4 I'll Be Home For Christmas Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 5 Blue Christmas Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 6 Santa Bring My Baby Back Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 7 O' Little Town Of Bethlehem Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 8 Silent Night Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 9 Peace In The Valley Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 10 I Believe Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 11 Take My Hand Precious Lord Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 12 It's No Secret What God Can Do Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

October 16 1957
    Elvis Christmas EP

October 30 1957
    Jailhouse Rock EP
    track 1 Jailhouse Rock Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 2 Young And beautiful Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

track 3 I Want To Be Free Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 4 Don't Leave Me Now Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 5 Baby I Don't Care (you're so square) Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

January 7 1958
    Don't Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Don't 1970 rehearsals Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    I Beg Of You Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    I Beg Of You alternate master Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

March 21 1958
    Elvis Golden Records
    track 1 Hound Dog Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 2 Loving You Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 3 All Shook up Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 4 Heartbreak Hotel Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 5 Jailhouse Rock Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 6 Love me Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 7 Too Much Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 8 Don't Be Cruel Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 9 That's When Your Heartaches Begin Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 10 Teddy Bear Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 11 Love Me Tender Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 12 Treat Me Nice Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 13 Anyway You Want Me Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 14 I Want You I Need You I Love You Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Aprul 7 1958
    Wear My Ring Around Your Neck Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Doncha Think It's Time Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

June 10 1958
    Hard Headed Woman/Don't Ask Me Why Single Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

July 15 1958
    King Creole Vol 1 EP Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

July 29 1958
    King Creole Vol 2 EP Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

August 10 1958
    King Creole LP
    track 1 King Creole Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    King Creole movie clip Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 2 As Long As I Have You Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    As Long As I Have You movie clip Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 3 Hard Headed Woman Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 4 Trouble Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 5 Dixieland Rock Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 6 Don't Ask Me Why Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 7 Lover Doll Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 8 Crawfish Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 9 Young Dreams Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 10 Steadfast Loyal And True Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 11 New Orleans Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

October 21 1958
    One Night Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    I Got Stung Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

November 18 1958
    Elvis Sails Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

January 23 1959
    For LP Fans Only
    track 1. "That's All Right" Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 2. "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 3. "Mystery Train" Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 4. "Playing for Keeps" Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 5. "Poor Boy" Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 6. "My Baby Left Me" Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 7. "I Was The One" Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 8. "Shake, Rattle and Roll" Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 9. "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone" Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 10. "You're a Heartbreaker" Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    (rca complete albums bonus tracks)
    track 11 I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 12 Let Me - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

March 10 1959
    I Need Your Love Tonight Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    A Fool Such As I Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

April 21 1959
    A Touch Of Gold EP
    Side 1
    Hard Headed Woman - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Good Rockin' Tonight - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Side 2
    Don't - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    I Beg Of You - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

June 23 1959
    A Big Hunk Of Love Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    all takes Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    My Wish Came True Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

July 24 1959
    A Date With Elvis
    1. "Blue Moon of Kentucky" - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    2. "Young And Beautiful" - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    3. "(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care" - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    4. "Milk Cow Blues Boogie" - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    5. "Baby Let's Play House" - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    6. "Good Rockin' Tonight" - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    7. "Is It So Strange" - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    8. "We're Gonna Move" - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    9. "I Want To Be Free" - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    10. "I Forgot to Remember to Forget"- Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    (rca complete albums collection bonus tracks)
    11. Don't Leave Me Now - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    12. Harbor Lights - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

September 9 1959
    A Touch Of Gold EP Vol 2

October 13 1959
    Christmas With Elvis EP Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

November 13 1959
    Elvis Golden records Vol 2
    track 1 I Need Your Love Tonight - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 2 Don't - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 3 Wear My Ring Around Your Neck - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 4 My Wish Came True - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 5 I Got Stung - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 6 One Night - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 7 Big Hunk O' Love - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 8 I Beg Of You - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 9 Fool Such As I - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 10 Doncha' Think It's Time - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Bevok likes this.
  24. mark winstanley

Miscellaneous - Quick find

Good resources for information
    elvisrecords.com | The Elvis Presley Record Research Database Thanks @Shawn
    Elvis Presley U.K. Discography Thanks @Purple Jim
    Elvis Presley 1956 | The King of Rock 'n' Roll
    Elvis Presley in Canada | Official Graceland Blog
    Elvis Presley Recording Sessions Thanks @MEMPHISSUN
    EPA-4041 Just For You | elvisrecords.com Thanks @SKATTERBRANE

The Roots Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

First recording transfer to digital Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

The Crudup connection Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Elvis talks about the Sun collection Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

The Sun Story of Elvis Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Fashion Legacy Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Home Movies

Interview with Elvis August 1956 Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Live interview 1956 Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Interview Memphis 1956 Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

RCA contract Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Letter to a fan Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Elvis in the army Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Newspaper Articles

Elvis wiggles, fans scream at Pan pacific Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Elvis Presley is told: Clean it up Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    In a spin Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Rage over Elvis Presley is a bit sickening Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Presley Rocks, rolls theater audiences here Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Presley, Disc Star, To Sing Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Police protect singer from bobby soxers Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Presley here tonight mobbed in Alamo city Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Jack Wasserman Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Teen letter writers roll back and rock our Elvis Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Elvis Wiggle Ok - Vice Squad Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    LA police slap Presley Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Elvis Presley rises to fame as vocalist who is virtuoso of hootchy kootchy Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Presley at arena Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Memphis boy, Elvis Presley, signs contract with Gleeson Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Presley lures 12,000 fans to amphitheater Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    23,000 fans think Presley is fantabulous Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    14,000 scream for Elvis Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    14,600 fans squeal, jump, as Elvis shakes, gyrates Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Elvis Presley, the Tennessee Terror (in language of the Netherlands) Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Talked About Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Disturbance Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Private Presley Sails Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Bevok and RobCos02330 like this.
  25. mark winstanley