Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Aug 15, 2018.

1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I think the album is dragged down a bit by a few of the Sun outtakes which (although not terrible) were outtakes for a reason. It would be better if they'd used all 1956 recordings. Still a great record though.

2. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Disagree strongly. It's top notch

Spazaru and mark winstanley like this.
  3. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Great album of course, but I heard it as an album for the first time last month (I got myself the complete albums box for Christmas) and I found it an odd listening experience as I’m used to hearing the Sun material grouped together on albums like The Sun Sessions.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I Love You Because, Just Because, and I'll Never Let You Go (Little Darlin') are not Elvis at his best in my opinion. And although Blue Moon is a great track, to me it doesn't fit in sonically with the 1956 stuff. The Sun material and the RCA material each have their own sound, and Elvis had progressed a lot, to the point that using 2-year-old material on the album creates a disjointed effect.

5. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I love all of the songs, but it could have been much better, given what RCA had to work with. The sequencing is particularly wonky; Blue Suede Shoes into I'm Counting On You is one of the most anti-climatic opening pairs I can think of. RCA would have been better off issuing a compilation of the Sun singles (A- and B-sides), with Tryin' To Get To You and Blue Moon thrown in as bonus tracks.

6. croquetlawns

I agree - for me the second album works better and is a better representation of Elvis in 1956.

JimmyCool and mark winstanley like this.
  7. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

There are longer versions of this and other kid galahad songs on the kid galahad/girls girls girls soundtrack cd. Used to have the kg ep

mark winstanley likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

9. croquetlawns

Hi all, here's something I'd like to share and if possible get some info on. I picked it up at a record fair in Perth, Australia, about 30 years ago and I've always loved it as a curio, but I've never been able to find out much about it. Published as an insert in a now defunct Australian menswear magazine in 1957, it's basically telling retailers what Elvis products are available, and how to display them to maximise sales. Did these appear in other countries? Is this a direct copy of one from the USA?

Front, middle spread, and back page photos. This is my first time posting photos to this forum, so they may not work!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Radon belts for the nation's only atomic powered singer!

Blimey.

11. croquetlawns

With all those notes and coins surrounding Elvis, I can easily visualise the Colonel rubbing his hands together!

12. mark winstanley

I would love you guys to participate in this.

A series of 4 polls, to pick a somewhat consensus of the best Elvis albums, which will culminate in a poll made up of the top five in each category.
    You will have seven choices, and I would like folks to post their choices and what they consider the best versions of those choices are.

I have had folks ask me what the best versions of albums to get are, and I am no good at that at all, and you guys know that stuff inside out

Anyway, I hope you will all join in.

First Poll

Cheers
    Mark

13. Upstate Cate

Upstate Cate A Singer Obsessed

Wow, Elvis at 18. I am so impressed by his beautiful phrasing -- and guitar playing -- and am amazed at how mature his voice sounds at such a young age. Also, the quality of the recording is excellent; you really feel like you are right there in the booth with him.

I am so excited to follow this thread from beginning to end. I know virtually nothing about Elvis Presley and imagine that by the time I finish it (if I live that long) I will have a comprehensive understanding of this seminal artist.

14. mark winstanley

With all the information that the guys put in here, I am pretty sure you will be very familiar with the man and his music.

15. Upstate Cate

This song is definitely inspiring of glee. I found myself wanting to dance, and I'm extremely lazy.:help:

I love the way the instruments are played; the guitar is being strummed almost like a mandolin. Those three men produce such a full sound together. Elvis' singing is wonderful.

What a shame Arthur Crudup got screwed so. The music business *sigh*

16. Upstate Cate

This is a Mark Winstanley thread, and he has much power. :edthumbs: I am already participating in his Joe Cocker album by album via song thread. This is absolutely the best way to take a deep dive into an artist if that's what you're ready to get on board for. I feel as though I know Joe as well as his wife, brother or mother did, if not better, and I look forward to knowing Elvis just as well.

17. Upstate Cate

They're finally releasing all the old Ed Sullivan Shows on streaming platforms:

cha·ris·ma
    /kəˈrizmə/
    noun: charisma; plural noun: charismata
    1. Elvis Aaron Presley

Now I see what all the screaming was about. What an incredible charmer as well as performer this guy was.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  18. Upstate Cate

AAAnd this one too:

Also from his first appearance. So humble, when you know he just shot Ed's ratings through the roof right then and there :agree:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  19. Upstate Cate

Hmmm the video seems to have been taken down. Here's another video of Wynonie Harris's version:

20. Upstate Cate

He says "Let's milk it!" Too funny

21. Upstate Cate

What a great piece of memorabilia; thank you for sharing it with us. You may already be aware of this, but there is a book -- Australian no less!! -- written by Bob Pakes and published by Erik Lorentzen. It is called The EPE Catalog, and it is a comprehensive, illustrated view of '50s Elvis merchandising and is almost 400 pages. It might shed some light for you, but I have no idea how much it costs or where to get it.

22. mark winstanley

23. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Definitely the better side. Another great record Elvis completely rearranges and manages to make his own, despite already being a "Hit".

24. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

I love that album, but a 1968 head on a '50s Elvis looks bizarre.

25. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Such a bizarre executive decision for RCA Victor to attempt. I always believed, or had read that the company had done this to put those singles out simultaneously for the people, or teenagers, who couldn't afford the bigger Long Play albums.

It just amazes me the amount of EP's Elvis sold at retail as well.

Look at the strategy, you have the second album, "Elvis" released, October 19, 1956, then you put out, "Elvis, volume 1" out, same week, then 2 more EP's, (volumes 2 and 3), technically, "Strictly Elvis", from all the songs that were already available on the second album...? Talk about confusion and redundancy.

Shawn and croquetlawns like this.