Elvis Presley: The Movies - Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bink, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Remember Sal Mineo starring as a Sioux youth in Disney's Tonka?

sixtiesstereo likes this.
  2. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm Not The Marrying Kind

Dave112 and croquetlawns like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

That's fair.
    I understand that perspective.
    Would they have even made the movie without Elvis on the billboard?

4. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I've never thought of Elvis' 1960s movies as controversial. I doubt anyone else did in the 1960s even if they were socially aware. Elvis played a singing, college boy hating, drifter with a chip on his shoulder in Roustabout and a gangster fighting, Medical Doctor that sang "Have A Happy" in Change Of Habit. I wouldn't look too deeply into Elvis' movies as social commentaries. Just in case there was controversy, that's probably why Elvis refused his Oscar for Stay Away Joe.

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If wiki is correct, they were originally wanting Brando in the Elvis role. They obviously wanted a star, and there were no Native American actors or singers who were big enough stars at the time. But of course that's a circular argument to a degree, because how could a Native actor become a big enough star if they wouldn't ever cast him in any starring roles?

In an ideal world, they'd just pick the best actor for the role and not think about these things, but they did, and (to a lesser extent) they still do today.

6. mark winstanley

There again though, if the movie doesn't get made, there are a stack of possible roles that go by the wayside, and less chance for possible hiring of native American actors, who then could catch someone's eye.

Big companies make movies for profit. They want, and need a draw.
    Some have occasionally picked an unknown and a movie has been well received, but that is a much less frequent scenario.

Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  7. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    It was one of the films they screened in their "Paramount Rewind" series---I know a few people in the preservation department, so I got to go to some of these.

8. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Just my two cents: Acting is Acting. Its a job, a profession like any other. If someone was asked to play the role of a NA who was not really an NA, is that really any different from any actor playing any part that is different than himself or herself? Raymond Burr played a lawyer who was handicapped and in a wheelchair. Raymond Burr in real life was neither handicapped or a lawyer. Should that really upset anyone?

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

In that light, I suppose a more reasonable critique of the film would be that they should have cast a Native American woman rather than Delores Del Rio in the role of the mother, a role which didn't require a "name."

Again though, it's a matter of context. At that time, Native American actors were not getting a shot at any non-Indian roles. So I can see why they might be upset if one of the few Indian roles potentially available to them was given to a white guy. If it was a completely level playing field for everyone then there'd be no reason to complain, but it wasn't.

RSteven and croquetlawns like this.
  10. mark winstanley

No argument from me.
    I'm not supporting Hollywood, it's a cesspool

Dave112, RSteven, DISKOJOE and 2 others like this.
  11. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Yes.

SgtPepper1983 likes this.
  12. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Follow That Dream is a really, really good "Elvis movie". It's not a great movie in the objective sense, of course, because it's mostly silly nonsense, but in the (admittedly limited) sub-genre of the Elvis-movie, it's a near masterpiece.

In other words, if you're in the mood for some lighthearted, swingin' fun with Elvis, this is probably the #1 best movie to watch. (Jailhouse Rock and King Creole are darker and more serious and are objectively better films, but they're not as successful in terms of 'Elvis movies' and they're certainly not as much fun.)

As a poster noted above, Follow That Dream has some really, really good acting by Elvis. In particular, his performance in the courtroom scenes (which are really well written, too) near the end of the film are possibly the greatest acting he ever did.

(As a side note, it's literally unthinkable nowadays to project one of the biggest singing stars in the youth culture playing a hillbilly squatter in a Hollywood film.)

Only drawback here is that Elvis looks pudgy and his hair needs some work.

Anyway, this one I would score a 'B' as a film in general, but I'd score it an 'A+' as an Elvis movie.

Shawn, Dave112, Bink and 2 others like this.
  13. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Really? How?

14. Very, very good idea!

15. Bink

Sound Advice

Shawn, artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  16. Bink

Follow That Dream

croquetlawns, artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I really don't remember hearing this in the early 60s although it may be just that the song made little impression on me. There are quite a few Elvis tunes from that decade that I don't particularly care for but not because of his delivery. The man certainly had a way with the vocals which were often a song's saving grace.

RSteven and Bink like this.
  18. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

My first memory of that song is through Bruce Springsteen who used to sing it live quite often in the 80's. He would do it as a slow, intense lament.
    What a shock when I heard Elvis' upbeat original for the first time!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  19. Bink

Kid Galahad

Year of release: 1962
    Studio: United Artists
    Director: Phil Karlson

Plot:
    Elvis plays Walter Gulick, who after leaving the army returns to the town of his birth looking for work as a mechanic, but enters the world of boxing after meeting a shrewd gambler who attempts to use Walter as his pawn.

Songs:
    King of the Whole Wide World
    This Is Living
    Riding the Rainbow
    Home Is Where The Heart Is
    I Got Lucky
    A Whistling Tune

Trailer:

20. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Kid Galahad (1962)
    The movie is ok: decent acting thanks to a good supporting cast and some pretty nice locations - again - but the whole thing is a little bit borring at times plus the combat scenes are so-so: where are the suspens and the intensity? Anyway, for some reasons, I don't buy the idea of Elvis as a boxer but it is certainly a much more interesting plot than what was to come. The soundtrack is ok too with a great rocker: KING OF THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD. The rest is enjoyable at best. I rank the film just a tad better than "Love me tender" in my personal list. A movie without a fuss and a little bit of a letdown after "Follow that Dream".

TOP#10 (so far...)
    -----------------------------------
    10. Wild in the Country (1961)
    9. G.I. Blues (1960)
    8. Love Me Tender (1956)
    7. Kid Galahad (1962)
    6. Blue Hawaii (1961)
    5. Loving you (1957)
    4. Follow that Dream (1962)
    3. King Creole (1958)
    2. Jailhouse Rock (1957)
    1. Flaming star (1960)

croquetlawns, RSteven and Bink like this.
  21. Bink

Kid Galahad was another Elvis movie that I had not seen before. I think my thoughts are similar to @PepiJean - it was decent, entertaining, with a good supporting cast, but for a boxing film, a little boring in places. I had hoped that the boxing scenes would have more suspense - this wasn't exactly Rocky!!

A couple more thoughts:

- they were still clinging onto the 'fresh out of the army' storyline. Are there going to be any more of these??

- I thought it would have made a better finale if the movie had ended with a rousing performance of King of the whole wide world - this would have made a good bookend to the opening theme and given the change in Elvis' character's circumstances, would have showed the song in a different light. Plus it would have been nice to have a proper performance of this song (we only see him singing a couple of lines at the start).

22. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Nice thread. My mum, God rest her soul, loved the Elvis movies with Viva Las Vegas being her favorite. She always wished that she could be Ann Margret. Lol.

23. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Kid Galahad is mildly entertaining and charming, but it's just cheese on the stick. Elvis is certainly not convincing as a boxer with a devastating right (maybe if they'd filmed it a year and a half earlier when he was fresh from the Army and in shape), and the plot is fairly ludicrous (not that the earlier ones weren't).

Apparently, Charles Bronson and Elvis did not get along at all. Lots of friction there.

The movie merited 'only' an EP, but it's pretty good:
    [​IMG]
    My favorite is the wimpy but tuneful "I Got Lucky", which is so melodic and charming it just wins me over. I wonder if this one would have been a sizeable hit if issued on a 45.

RSteven, Bink and croquetlawns like this.
  24. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Such a goofy look on Elvis face. That the best shot they could use?

Chemically altered likes this.
  25. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

:laugh: True.