Elvis Presley: The Movies - Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bink, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I actually like Tickle Me. It's one of the few Elvis films that I do enjoy from this time period (post 1964). The film has some funny moments, doesn't take itself seriously at all, and has great music throughout (not since King Creole has the music been as consistently great). There were no new songs for this film but given the uneven quality of most of the songs for other Elvis movies of this period, the canned songs are an improvement IMO. Elvis seems to be relaxed and having fun in the film.

2. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Kismet

croquetlawns and RSteven like this.
  3. Bink

So Close, Yet So Far (From Paradise)

I think this might be my favourite song from Harem Scarum:

croquetlawns, Shawn and RSteven like this.
  4. This one is certainly a contender. Although I wish Animal Instinct had been used in the film as that would then be my favorite.

Bink and RSteven like this.
  5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh yeah, both songs you posted above are quite beautiful. Elvis's vocal on Kismet is just lovely really.

As I have said before, I really think the Harum Scarum soundtrack is quite good. The soundtrack is often dismissed because the movie looks so terrible. The songs are a cut above many of the typical soundtrack albums from this time period, but what really made the album seem inferior was the original poor mix of it. The Doubles Features version really brings out Elvis's voice properly and the musicianship is outstanding on the session. Listen to Henry Strzelecki's groovy bass lines and drummer Kenny Buttrey's outstanding interplay on Animal Instinct as exhibit A below. I also love the Neil Diamond Cherry Cherry like instrumental breakdown on Hey Little Girl.

Dave112, Sebastian, Bink and 2 others like this.
  6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Once again, great minds think alike, Lol.

Shawn likes this.
  7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I still have not watched the actual Harum Scarum movie, but as I said above, I really do like the soundtrack album. I bought every Elvis movie last year that I did not already possess and I know Harum Scarum is on one of my DVD's somewhere, but I could not seem to find it yesterday. Harum Scarum and Paradise Hawaiian Style are the only Elvis's movies I have never watched at least one time. I have PHS DVR'd, but I started watching it once and it did not look like a winner, Lol. I will try to get through both of these movies eventually just so I can say I have actually viewed all of them.

croquetlawns and Bink like this.
  8. oddmentandtweak

oddmentandtweak Well-Known Member

I love hearing from other fans which movies they've seen and not, and which they like and don't. Harum Scarum was the first Elvis movie I watched (that I can remember), just this past summer. Lifelong Elvis fan but as a millennial I missed the original era and the re-run era. Funnily this was the movie my aunt and cousin chose to show me first because they love the soundtrack! I have to say I did not like it that much haha. I had avoided his movies for so long because I know he generally didn't enjoy that period in his life, but I appreciate now that they're still a part of his body of work, there are some gems, and hey, we get to watch Elvis!

Dave112, Shawn and RSteven like this.
  9. That is such a key point, I'm so glad you brought it up. Even though some of these films are pretty darn bad I'm still glad we have them because even in the worst ones I'm happy to see footage of Elvis. I always enjoy watching him - his charisma and 'coolness' is really strong even in clunkers like Harum Scarum.

10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

About half of these I saw at the drive in.

11. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

One of my favourite songs from any 60s Elvis film!

DISKOJOE, Bink, RSteven and 1 other person like this.
  12. While it’s great seeing these on DVD/Blu on a well-calibrated TV seeing these in a drive-in is really then’ proper’ way to see them, I’m envious!

13. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I agree about the soundtrack being very good, especially how tight the backing musicians are.
    If you've never heard the alternate take of "Hey Little Girl" it's essential. It really rocks, Elvis'
    vocal is great and different, and the band is on fire, especially the drummer. A real rock and
    roll recording by Elvis during a time when he really wasn't doing what he did best...

14. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

That is a great take and you can tell Elvis is really into with the grunt and the laugh at the very end. When Elvis was bored with the material it usually showed and he seems pretty engaged here on this song.

sixtiesstereo and Shawn like this.
  15. This is why I’m hoping soundtracks like this get a complete sessions FTD release - there’s a number of as-yet-unreleased complete takes (let alone long false starts, break-downs etc.) so there’s always a chance one might be interesting to hear. Couple it with a remix of the LP proper and I think it would make for a nice release.

croquetlawns and RSteven like this.
  16. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Were you with a hot girl, or were you actually watching the films?

croquetlawns likes this.
  17. croquetlawns

Is this available anywhere other than the FTD? I hadn't planned on getting the FTD since the double features version has better sound, but this take makes it tempting...

Dave112 likes this.
  18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

This recording (takes 1 and 2 of Hey Little Girl) is also on the FTD compilation Out in Hollywood. If you aren't sure you want to shell out for an entire CD of Harum Scarum outtakes, Out in Hollywood is a nicely-curated set of interesting alternate takes from various films, and it's something that in my opinion stands up to repeated listening much better than the FTDs devoted to just one soundtrack.

19. croquetlawns

Thanks - I'll keep an eye out!

czeskleba likes this.
  20. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I was in the backseat in my jammies.

RSteven, Shawn and croquetlawns like this.
  21. Bink

Frankie and Johnny

Year of release: 1966
    Studio: United Artists
    Director: Frederick de Cordova

Plot:
    Elvis plays Johnny, who along with girlfriend Frankie, are riverboat entertainers. A gypsy tells Johnny that his bad gambling streak will only end if he teams up with a redhead, which is what happens when Nellie appears. However this causes Frankie to be jealous.

Songs:
    Come Along (theme)
    Petunia, the Gardener's Daughter
    Chesay
    What Every Woman Lives For
    Frankie and Johnny
    Look Out, Broadway
    Beginner's Luck
    Down By the Riverside / When The Saints Go Marching In
    Shout It Out
    Hard Luck
    Please Don't Stop Loving Me
    Everybody Come Aboard

Trailer:

Dave112 likes this.
  22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I had the single Frankie and Johnny/Please Don't Stop Loving Me. I KNOW I saw this one at the drive in. It had Ellie Mae!
    Another period piece with E as a singer(?) on a riverboat/showboat. I almost expected to hear Mister and Mississippi. More New Orleans type sounds

On a side note I have a thing for various versions of FAJ, and Elvis version is among my favorites. And the single is not like what is in the film, which I found out from the backseat in my jammies.

Dave112, Shawn, RSteven and 1 other person like this.
  23. croquetlawns

Along with Harum Scarum, some credit should be given for putting Elvis in an unusual setting (back to the beach for the next one!), but it's a shame that the scripts weren't that good.

As for the soundtrack, again, it's nice to hear some different instrumentation, but this is probably my least favourite Elvis album.

Shawn and Bink like this.
  24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yep, the soundtrack to Frankie and Johnnie is dreadful. I will defend the Harum Scarum soundtrack; I will praise the merits of G.I. Blues, but I will not defend this sonic mess. This album was terribly recorded. Did Elvis let the Memphis Mafia gang run the soundboard on this one, Lol? The songs are lousy as well, but I do like the double sided single that @JamieC mentioned in his post above. It is about the only good thing on this soundtrack. I barely remember the movie, so I might have to watch this one again as well.

Dave112, Shawn, Bink and 1 other person like this.
  25. Bink

Frankie and Johnny is definitely near the bottom of the pile for me of those we have discussed so far, but a couple of things to mention:

- I used to hear Chesay a lot when I was younger and never knew where it was released. In fact I always thought the song was called Jessè. I always wondered why I couldn't find it online!! So if nothing else that's a mystery solved.

- I did actually laugh out loud at the scene where Elvis' gambling winnings were thrown out the window and then an elderly lady saw all the people gathering to pick it up and said "that's disgusting......ooh money, let me in". Appealed to my sense of humour!

- at the time of writing this, the climax of the film which involved Elvis being shot after a real bullet was put into the gun that was used during the performance of Frankie and Johnny, seems sadly relevant.

croquetlawns, Shawn and RSteven like this.