Elvis Presley: The Movies - Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bink, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Well it’s always going to two layers if they don’t re-key, but as seen in the comparison video it looks like they didn’t even really try to match the font graphics. I’d prefer the original graphics with a slightly burrier background. Or at least offer a branch with the original as a choice. Or include as an extra.

artfromtex and croquetlawns like this.
  2. As posted on a number of Elvis fan sites/forums here is a pic of the forthcoming Blue Hawaii 4K limited edition disc. I hope this is a pre-release mock-up as they’re using images from Paradise, Hawaiian Style on the inside gatefold and on one of the discs. Doh! They spend all that time re-keying in the title sequence graphics but can’t figure out which pics are from the actual movie?

[​IMG]

3. Updating to reflect that Spinout is streaming in HD, at least on HBOMax:

Love Me Tender (1956, 20th Century Fox) – Blu-ray
    Loving You (1957, Paramount) - DVD
    Jailhouse Rock (1957, MGM) – Blu-ray
    King Creole (1958, Paramount) – Blu-ray but also available in 4K UHD via streaming
    G.I. Blues (1960, Paramount) – HD stream
    Flaming Star (1960, 20th Century Fox) - Blu-ray
    Wild in the Country (1961, 20th Century Fox) – Blu-ray
    Blue Hawaii (1961, Paramount) – 4K UHD streaming available now, will be on 4K UHD disc in later 2022
    Follow That Dream (1962, United Artists) – Blu-ray
    Kid Galahad (1962, United Artists) – Blu-ray
    Girls! Girls! Girls! (1962, Paramount) – HD stream
    It Happened At the World’s Fair (1963, MGM) – Blu-ray
    Fun in Acapulco (1963, Paramount) – HD stream
    Kissin’ Cousins (1964, MGM) – HD stream
    Viva Las Vegas (1964, MGM) – Blu-ray
    Roustabout (1964, Paramount) – HD stream
    Girl Happy (1965, MGM) – HD stream
    Tickle Me (1965, Allied Artists) – German and Australian Blu-ray, HD stream
    Harum Scarum (1965, MGM) - DVD
    Frankie & Johnny (1966, United Artists) – Blu-ray
    Paradise Hawaiian Style (1966, Paramount) – HD stream
    Spinout (1966, MGM) - HD stream
    Easy Come, Easy Go (1967, Paramount) – HD stream
    Double Trouble (1967. MGM) - HD stream
    Clambake (1967, United Artists) – Blu-ray
    Stay Away, Joe (1968, MGM) – HD stream
    Speedway (1968, MGM) – HD stream
    Live A Little, Love A Little (1968, MGM) – HD stream
    Charro! (1969, National General) – HD stream
    The Trouble With Girls (1969, MGM) – HD stream
    Change of Habit (1969, Universal) – Blu-ray

Elvis: That’s The Way It Is (1970, MGM) – Special Edition is on Blu-ray, original theatrical version on DVD
    Elvis On Tour (1972, MGM) – Blu-ray w/’Don’t Be Cruel’ intro, HD stream w/’Johnny B. Goode’ intro (at least via Vudu, not sure on other streaming options)

4. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Nice packaging (if they fix the photos)!

RSteven and Shawn like this.
  5. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

The people in the companies who put these things together were not born when Blue Hawaii was first
    released so any shots with an Hawaiian flavour gets picked for the artwork, they need to do a bit more research.

Shawn and croquetlawns like this.
  6. As a fan of the Elvis movies I ended up ordering the Bob Pakes book Celluloid Sell-Out via ShopGraceland. Everything I’ve read/seen about it looks fantastic and while I don’t have quite the level of interest around the marketing of Elvis’ 1950’s films as I do those in the 1960’s the book looks to be the be-all end-all on the topic:

NEW BOOK: Celluloid Sell-Out! | Elvis - Echoes Of The Past

It’s not cheap by any stretch at $130 but I hope to gain a lot of knowledge from it as well as use it for reference.

This might be the only time I say this - for once I want the book and not the two FTD CDs that are bundled with it. Surely this book could stand on its own and would probably move a lot more copies if the two discs weren’t included to inflate the price.

Here’s hoping Bob continues with a book on the marketing of Elvis’ 1960’s movies.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    RSteven and croquetlawns like this.
  7. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

Yes ,watched parts of some of the movies and in very nice HD quality.

RSteven, croquetlawns and Shawn like this.
  8. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I watched Speedway tonight and it was great to see Elvis as a NASCAR stock car driver of a Hemi Charger. I liked the fact that they credited the actual stock car drivers of the era in the movie, including Richard Petty, although they had his famous #43 Plymouth being driven by his fictional rival. Nancy Sinatra wasn’t Ann Margaret, but she was OK. I also noted Bill Bixby’s manager character indulge in a bit o’ gambling, just like the Col.

9. I just received my Blue Hawaii 4K disc and can sadly report it only contains a modern 5.1 soundtrack and no original mono audio :realmad: They go to all this bother to make the picture look great but then can’t find it in them to include the original mono as an option???

Also, the menu screen is a pic from - wait for it - Paradise, Hawaiian Style. :rolleyes:

Lastly, the packaging has a PG rating for ‘Mild Sensuality’. Interesting as the film came out 11 years before the PG rating existed so not sure how this is possible?

10. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

@Shawn: I'd bet that the movie was submitted to the MPAA at some point for a rating and, thus, the MPAA gave it a [PG] and that's why you see a rating on the packaging. I don't know how much money it costs to submit a movie to the MPAA to get a 'Rating', but I don't think there's any time limit on doing so.

I recall THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR (1968) having no rating on the 1984 CBS/Fox Video VHS release . . . but several years later when the movie was re-issued on VHS by MGM there was now an [R]-rating on the MGM box. I could only guess the picture was submitted to the MPAA in between the '84 Fox release and when the MGM tape came out.

Dave112, RSteven and Shawn like this.
  11. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

My Elvis fan friend has been threatening, erm, promising me, that he will give me several more Elvis DVDs as part of his Christmas gift to me.

RSteven and Shawn like this.
  12. Thank you - I learn something new every day! Now the question is why would they have bothered to submit Blue Hawaii to the MPAA to obtain a rating at a later date? @Jayson Wall perhaps you might know?

RSteven and 64FALCON like this.
  13. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

If you want to get really 'old skool', Shawn, on adding Elvis Presley movies to one's homevideo collection . . . many moons ago these seven Elvis pictures were released in 1978/79 on VHS (and ßeta as well) by the long-gone Magnetic Video Corporation:

BLUE HAWAII
    FUN IN ACAPULCO
    G.I. BLUES
    GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS
    KING CREOLE
    PARADISE, HAWAIIAN STYLE
    ROUSTABOUT

I have a couple of these aging video relics: King Creole and Roustabout. I looked for the others on Magnetic (gone since 1981; absorbed in to '20th Century Fox Video' as best as I can tell), but I waited too long and couldn't find them. → However, should anyone reading this look on eBay for Elvis movies it's certainly possible one of them could be up for sale at one time so you can see how primitive they look. There's no plot summary on these boxes. Wanna know what "King Creole" is about? You'll have to read about the plot elsewhere because the video box only shows other Magnetic release titles on the back.

Dave112 and Shawn like this.
  14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

They just evolved into CBS/FOX. They started out selling knock off 8 tracks and cassettes as Magnetic Tape Corporation. that lasted until 72. they went into video duplication and were among the early wild west days of VHS/Beta leaders. That was the change to MVC. They licensed Fox films among other things and Fox bought them to get into the home video market. At least thats the trail I found. They started in Livonia Michigan.

Dave112, 64FALCON and Shawn like this.
  15. I’ll do you even one better - get those movies on Super 8:

Elvis on 8 mm / Super 8 | Elvis - Echoes Of The Past

[​IMG]

16. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

Those are too kool for skool, Shawn. :righton:

Shawn likes this.
  17. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Magnetic Video's office and duplication facility was in an industrial park off Halsted and Grand River in Farmington Hills. CBS/FOX moved to a location off Seven Mile and I-275 (now a Beaumont Hospital facility) in Livonia in 1985.

18. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

Here's the address, btw, that's listed on the back of the 1978 Magnetic box for "The Long Hot Summer":

Magnetic Video Corporation
    23434 Industrial Park Court
    Farmington Hills, MI 48024

19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I bought a bunch of their mechanical royalty cassettes as either MTC or Pieces Of Eight labeled. 2 bucks for a recent album, Then they changed the copyright laws. You have to admire this company. Starting as a small tape duplication service, getting involved with the knock off tapes, then reemerging in the new video market(again when copyright was loose).

20. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

There's also a 1981 movie titled THIS IS ELVIS. I think it's part documentary with parts of Elvis's life re-enacted by actors along with footage of the real Elvis. I have a copy of it but haven't watched it yet.

RSteven, croquetlawns and Dave112 like this.
  21. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I've got to ask about these tapes. I have several old 8 track tapes that were clearly not issued by a major label but have major label artists' music on them. They usually have a generic cover photo of a female model or of urban/country scenery. I'm sure these we're sold at flea markets, truck stops, and mom & pop stores back in the day. I would chalk it up to shady enterprises except on the back of most of these 8 tracks they have a printed notice that reads something like "Royalties have been paid to artists and labels for this material". I doubt that any major label would license such compilations. What's the deal with these notices on tapes? Was it on the up and up at all?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Read the notice on the bottom of the contents.
    We have discussed this elsewhere, but in a nutshell there was a loophole in copyright law that if you paid "mechanical royalties" for the music publishing. So you ended up with pirate 8 tracks and cassettes. Even some LPs. This ended in 72 when the federal law was tightened up. The little "p" in a circle showed up then.
    So on the one hand they were "legal" but dodgy. The artists got nothing. Jerry Lee Famously would take a baseball bat to the display case if he found them in his travels. The mob was definitely involved in some places.
    I was 14. My first copy of Concert For Bangladesh cost 4 dollars on two MTC tapes. I did not see the contradiction then. It's actually embarrassing to admit these days.
    Help Identify this old 8 Track please

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  23. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

It’s well done overall, with a great soundtrack (some still unique?) but the voice overs get a bit much for me at times.

Dave112, artfromtex, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  24. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

There's one famous story of him taking the rack of bootleg tapes outside, taking the gas nozzle, dousing them in gas and lighting them on fire.

Dave112 and Shawn like this.
  25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

If anyone's interested, Elvis 4k is 10 bucks on Amazon along with a whole bunch of other movies. Black Friday has dropped early.

RSteven, Shawn and croquetlawns like this.