Elvis Presley - The Posthumous Years 1978-1999*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 14, 2019.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

One thing that runs through most of the Elvis catalog is poor covers and album titles ... it is a head shaker

2. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I'm being 100% serious when I say that this is probably the best thing I've ever read on this forum.

3. mark winstanley

lol ... I think I have been guilty of that over the years lol ... A guy at work is still nervous I'll put Beefheart or Zappa on when we need to drive somewhere hahaha

goodiesguy, Buddybud, Dave112 and 3 others like this.
  4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I did a little quick research on this. The English lyrics are basically a translation of the original Italian lyrics. The original Italian version was sung Mina (a woman singer) and are (very loosely) translated as this:
    Softly
    As you move away,
    Try that your step
    Don't wake me up
    While you're leaving.
    Nothing
    I'm not asking you for anything.
    Today and beyond time you will be
    Next to me.
    In the memory goes
    Don't ask?
    To stay again but
    Take it easy.
    Not to be heard.
    Slowly,...

Pretty clearly she's talking about a one-night stand situation, not an ongoing relationship where the guy is dying. And there' nothing in the English translation that contradicts that interpretation either. The English version, sung from a male point of view, is basically a more maudlin version of The Sound of Your Cry, not a song about a guy dying.

Flaming Torch, Dan C, WLL and 7 others like this.
  5. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Haha, that reminds me...a few years ago my family went on vacation (I was driving), and one of the first things my mom said after I picked her up was "You did bring some music other than Elvis, right?"

goodiesguy, GLENN, D.B. and 5 others like this.
  6. mark winstanley

lol

Oh the same guy hates Elvis ... When the thread started, I had just got the RCA box and he would "Hubba Hubba, Blue Suede shoes" and I would punch him lol

warewolf95, Dave112, DirkM and 2 others like this.
  7. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

I've been enjoying these responses immensely.
    Incidentally, if anyone would like to hear Charles Boyer's version of "Softly As I Leave You," try this link: "Found Sound Friday No. 9: Vocalogues."
    I'd forgotten to mention that Elvis had played the Boyer album extensively in 1973 after Priscilla departed, which is probably why he was still doing so in 1974.
    I'm not crazy about the album, but I think Boyer was a terrific actor; I saw him recently in History Is Made at Night. He also had a pretty sad life--his son committed suicide shortly after producing and persuading his father to record Where Does Love Go?
    In 1978, a year after Elvis's passing, Boyer himself committed suicide after the death of his wife, to whom he'd been married for 44 years.

On a lighter note, Boyer was not the only foreign actor who recorded a version of "Where Does Love Go." Behold:

There's also an Elvis connection. Sir Roger was married to Dorothy Squires in the 1950s and wrote the following in his autobiography My Word Is My Bond:

Lastly, it has been said that the last movie Elvis ever saw was Moore's Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me.

Flaming Torch, Tord, ClausH and 4 others like this.
  8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Wow!!!
    That was fantastic!
    Never heard that before!
    Played it loud, hanging onto my seat.
    This is clearly the best!

Dave112, DirkM and mark winstanley like this.
  9. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

That's how I feel about this one [​IMG]

10. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I have always had a soft spot for that one because the picture was taken in Fort Worth and for some reason he looks like me (in my 20's) in that photo.

warewolf95, Joel1963, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  11. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Great post. I run the Spy Vibe site and I hadn't come across that Roger Moore recording before. And SWLM was Elvis' last film viewing? Very interesting. I'll try to share soon on Spy Vibe, as well, as others might be interested. Thanks!

12. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

And you said, "is there such a thing?"

Dave112, DirkM, RSteven and 1 other person like this.
  13. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Are you saying you look more like John Candy now?

14. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I got a lot of miles on me!!

15. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Wasn't the single used from the 68's special?
    This sounds nothing like the single release if it were a previous take.
    I don't know! I'm just wondering how this sounds so wonderful, and yet the
    released version sounds like it has come from a 'TV' show.....Ironically.
    So confused....
    How come the single sounds so removed from this, apart from the vocal obviously performed live?

16. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Firstly, I'm not about to start discussing the dreaded bootlegs. However, to correct you, my understanding of the rules of this forum is, it is ok to discuss, not ok to provide links where to obtain them. I'm a believer in freedom of speech and it is unacceptable to rule out discussion merely because two people on this thread object. The funny thing is, one of the objectors, regularly sings the praises of one of the Elvis world's biggest bootleg suppliers!

17. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I learned the hard way that you can NEVER judge an Elvis LP's contents by the cover art. It's like in that Holy Grail Indiana Jones movie where he's told "You must choose wisely!". On the Burning Love cover, Elvis seems contemplative. On the FEPB, Elvis looks like he's going to rock your socks off. Mahlo From Elvis has poor cover art but actually has good stuff. It's one of his better Camden/Pickwick albums.

warewolf95, Hooperfan, DirkM and 2 others like this.
  18. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

The little thing I quoted was copied and pasted directly from the Forum policies page, it seems to be plain as to what it means. Anyways, I'm no moderator obviously, its just I'd hate these threads to be curtailed or deleted or whatever because they'd strayed in to the forbidden zone. I love these threads too much!

19. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Back on topic, I've never had 'He Walks Beside Me', wouldn't mind seeking out that rare CD of it but I do have 'Mahalo from Elvis' can't say I play it often but I do like the cover. I'm odd like that... :agree:

20. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Elvis sang live to the backing track in the special. The single version was recorded a week earlier and it was released only in mono.
    The version on He Walks Beside Me is an outtake and it was the first time the song was released in stereo. The master was eventually released in stereo on Elvis' Gold' Records vol. 5 in the 80s.

Take 4 is also available on this German compilation. Elvis* - The Collection Volume 4

warewolf95, Shawn, RSteven and 4 others like this.
  21. mark winstanley

I have made my decision. Please don't start something that is unnecessary.

Thank you

22. mark winstanley

The single is take 5 I believe, but I think they may have reverbed it up, from comments by @SKATTERBRANE ... he may be able to clarify that

23. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

Looking forward to hearing the thoughts about some of those rare 80s compilations.. should be an interesting thread! :righton:

24. mark winstanley

I have never heard the Guitar Man album with its rerecorded music, so I am very much looking forward to hearing what they did there,

25. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

:righton:

You got it in one!