Elvis Presley - what's your leftfield choice for The King's greatest vocal performance?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aar Gal, Sep 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I would give another vote to any of his gospel tracks. Godless heathen that I am, Elvis+ gospel is really something special, apart from the aforementioned Milky White Way, my favorite has always been Run On. Technically a gospel song but as bad ass as any thing. I’ve heard other people cover that song and each time I do I always think how much I rather be listening to Elvis’s version.

2. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I like Elvis’ vocals best when he pushed the top of his vocal range and added some grit. Hound Dog and Jailhouse Rock are some prime examples of this kind of vocal tone. Too bad he didn’t use that voice very often.

That being said, I am not a big fan of the majority of Elvis vocals, especially his crooning and balladeering. For the most part I find his vocals to be so overly affected that they sometimes come across as a “put on” voice, rather than his real voice.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Man at C&A likes this.
  3. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I watched the great HBO doc THE SEARCHER again recently and the show’s writer, Alan Light, wisely spent a great deal of time on how important gospel music was to Elvis. There were some good quotes from Presley himself on how gospel music was one of the foundations of his musical education and of rock music itself. Certainly some of Elvis’ finest performances are on his gospel recordings, both studio and live.

Shawn, Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

“Let It Be Me” from On Stage is one of the single greatest readings of a song I have ever heard.

From earlier in his career, “When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold Again” shows off his innate and effortless sense of swing.

Shaker Steve, Shawn, Dave112 and 2 others like this.
  5. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

First, apropos of the thread, I think Elvis was an excellent singer in his early stuff.

On the other hand, his later music (after the 50's I guess) has always puzzled me.

I mean, I can't even quite understand what category his later stuff seems to fit in. It sounds sort of stage music, goofy, kinda rhythmic but not like any particular genre of pop.
    It's among the least appealing, bland music I've ever heard.

But...taste and all that...

Aar Gal and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Ah, one of Elvis's most passionate live vocals ever caught on tape. The intensity and raw beauty of his vocal is just breathtaking, but so is the great arrangement by pianist Glen D. Hardin. Sheer perfection all the way around.

JohnO, Shawn, Dave112 and 1 other person like this.
  7. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

coulda gone with at least 20 of his most traditional early stuff.

but this is such a wonderfully understated performance that builds nicely. and thank god for the jordanaires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMD8d7oUjxw

D-rock, sharedon, Shawn and 5 others like this.
  8. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

That’s Someone You Never Forget, from 1961:

batdude98, Ken K, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  9. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I don't mean to pick on you, especially since this is a not uncommon perception, BUT there are any number of post Army performances by Elvis that are anything but bland, and some of them are posted here. Some of his later work is kind of neither here nor there, AND I think there was a tendency to assume that any really good performances released later had been recorded earlier (and some in fact had been). Let me just offer this:

Merry Xmas Baby, 1971, whatever this is, it doesn't strike me as bland.

And in one way you're right, a lot of Elvis' work doesn't fit neatly into any category other than Elvis music, he's his own category. As are Ray Charles and Charlie Rich and any number of others who were truly bad and nationwide.

Shawn, JimmyCool, Dave112 and 3 others like this.
  10. zane7570

zane7570 Forum Resident

11. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Would be something different everyday….

today’s choice is “What Now My Love”.

12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

A really nice example of a post Army highlight and another example of Elvis's later stage vocal prowess. Elvis author Robert Matthew-Walker has one of my favorite reviews ever of why this vocal performance is so special on Merry Christmas Baby, and he makes a great case why people should not underestimate Elvis's post Army vocal performances. And this vocal came in 1971, a mere six years before the singer's death.

"Since Presley's achievements as a blue singer are so little known, let us look at 'Merry Christmas Baby' in some detail. It is a basic 12-bar blues in G minor, but what is astonishing is that, for perhaps the only time in his career, Presley reveals the full range of his voice and his natural feel for the blues. He uses his voice as an instrument as he endeavors to match the amazing guitar work of James Burton (surely influenced by Johnny 'Guitar' Watson). Presley hums, moans and shouts. The piano is free and florid - the use of the high keyboard register is unusual and distinctive, but it is Presley's earthy, yet subtle and hypnotic singing in the opening verse that inspires the musicians. The gamut of his voice - from low, growly G's to a staggering, thrilling top B flat - sung, not falsetto - is so surprising, and so unlike anything else Presley did, as to cause one to rethink entirely one's attitude to this singer."

13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

It Feels So Right

14. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

sharedon, Shawn, PepiJean and 5 others like this.
  15. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Memories

Shawn, Dave112, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  16. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

King of the whole wild world

Shawn, Dave112, RSteven and 1 other person like this.
  17. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

• STRANGER IN MY OWN HOME TOWN (Blues, 1969)

“Percy Mayfield’s startling Stranger In My Own Hometown follows. This is the most rocking track on the album and the most haunting. This is the sound of a man confronting a city that had witnessed the assignation of Martin Luther King less than a year earlier. Elvis’ sorrow at this event has been recounted by both Celeste Yarnall and Jerry Schilling, perhaps more than If I Can Dream this is his reaction to it. It’s an explosive, surging performance that stands with his greatest work. The song’s ferocious climax features one of the strangest horn arrangements ever put on vinyl and Elvis screaming off mike ‘Blow your brains out.’ He would revisit this song later in his career and re-invent the idea of a blues man in a frightening laid back chronicle of alienation and despair. Anyone who doesn’t understand the genius of Elvis Presley should listen to this song.”

(Jeremy Richey)

Greg Arkadin, RSteven, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  18. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

I think my #1 favorite vocal by Elvis is 1956's "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" (Lloyd Price tune). Elvis only sings, I think, two verses, but his vocal is just so rock'n'roll and also so Elvis... it's spine-tingling, for me.

For the more obvious choices, you could go with "Jailhouse Rock" (rock'n'roll style) or "It's Now or Never" (ballad style). But "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello" is another great one.

RSteven, Shawn, batdude98 and 4 others like this.
  19. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

Long black Limousine, Any day now, I really don´t want to know, Reconsider baby, Baby, Let´s play house

20. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

"Blue Moon"... From the Sun era songs and the song mainly featured in the film Mystery Train...

Now I'm sure there are greater performances he did but I'm going with what I know!

Old Rusty, D-rock, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  21. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Great performance, great movie too!

RSteven, Shawn, Dave112 and 1 other person like this.
  22. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Can't disagree about the early stuff: it remains Elvis' groundbreaking legacy, specially the recordings at Sun studios (although I also have a soft spot for the "King Creole" - 1958 - movie soundtrack.)
    About the "latter" music, I think you should give a try to his first post army album "Elvis is Back!" (1960, a mixture of R&B and Pop) and also to "From Elvis in Memphis" (1969, more on the Country Soul sound): I can assure you that, on both occasions, his music is everything but bland.

Dave112, RSteven, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  23. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I know this is off topic, but maybe a good place to ask as any...

I'm in a pickle with the King -- I love him enough to own the Complete Masters set and some boxes, but not enough for all the FTDs -- BUT I want more outtakes -- should I go for something like Today, Tomorrow and Forever? Any other suggestions?

Dave112 and JimmyCool like this.
  24. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Several of the his gospel songs and early sides are there for me but my favorite is this alternate take of Power Of My Love:

Dave112, sharedon, PepiJean and 2 others like this.
  25. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Loving Arms

Dave112, JohnO, Ken K and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.