Elvis - The Posthumous Years 2000 - ...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Keith Flynn did a really nice write-up of this and Vol. 1 and if I’m remembering correctly, there are a couple tracks mis-identified (incorrect take #’s listed, wrong concert dates) and a few tracks are likely sourced from bootlegs. That said, I did buy it as it was at a clearance price on shopgracelend and I wanted to get the Christmas Radio Special. Trying to get a legitimate pressing of that is near-impossible and ultra-costly so this was a good alternative.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

July 2017

Roustabout
    - Ftd 7" extended - 506020 975108

Label:
    Follow That Dream Records ‎– 506020975108, Sony Music ‎– 506020975108
    Format:
    CD, Deluxe Edition, Reissue, Special Edition
    Europe
    Released:
    Genre:
    Rock, Stage & Screen
    Style:
    Soundtrack, Rock & Roll, Country Rock

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 Roustabout 2:01
    2 Little Egypt 2:21
    3 Poison Ivy League 2:05
    4 Hard Knocks 1:45
    5 It's A Wonderful World 1:51
    6 Big Love Big Heartache 2:03
    7 One Track Heart 2:18
    8 It's Carnival Time 1:36
    9 Carny Town 1:13
    10 There's A Brand New Day On The Horizon 2:03
    11 Wheels On My Heels 1:25
    Bonus Track
    12 I'm A Roustabout (take 10/M) 2:13
    Outtakes And Remixed Masters
    13 Little Egypt (AO take 15/M, record version) 2:33
    14 Little Egypt (revised, AO take 21, part used for movie version) 2:52
    15 Poison Ivy League (BO take 7/M) 2:19
    16 Hard Knocks (CO take 11/M, record version) 1:53
    17 Hard Knocks (COV take 4, movie version) 1:55
    18 Its A Wonderful World (DO take 13/M) 2:07
    19 Its A Wonderful World (DO take 17, instrumental) 2:02
    20 Big Love Big Heartache (EO take 17/M) 2:17
    21 One Track Heart (FO take 5/M) 2:26
    22 It's Carnival Time (HO take 2/HOV take 9/M, record version) 1:50
    23 It's Carnival Time (HO take 2/HOV take 12, movie version) 1:45
    24 Carny Town (JO take 9/M) 1:29
    25 There's A Brand New Day On The Horizon (KO take 5/M) 2:13
    26 Wheels On My Heels (LO take 7/M) 1:28
    27 Roustabout (NOV takes 1-5*, 6) 7:21
    28 Roustabout (NOV takes 7*, 8) 3:00
    29 Roustabout (NOV take 9, movie version) 2:14
    30 Roustabout (NOV takes 10-12) 4:47
    31 Roustabout (NOV take 13) 2:10
    32 Roustabout (NOV takes 14-16) 2:58
    33 Roustabout (NOV take 17/M, record version) 2:15
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I really do like a lot of Elvis soundtrack albums. It has nothing to do with being an Elvis apologist, or trying to defend his honour, or any other thing.... I just happen to like a lot of the songs. Thankfully there is a broad spectrum of music in all styles by all people to keep me entertained. In all seriousness it is hard to believe that I would still be alive without music, so I am not going to quibble about subjective value in relation to technicalities or validity. If I like it I like it, If I don't I don't, and even if I don't like it, it doesn't invalidate it as music, because someone likes it, and its inherent value can only be measured by its positive effect is people's lives in some way.

I like this soundtrack, and some of the songs considered to be throwaways are likely some of the songs I like..... that's just the way it is.

Please let us know what you think about this classic album release.

Little Egypt AO take 21
    I have always loved this song, and it would probably make it onto a best of collection that I put together. It isn't Elvis's greatest vocal, or most amazing instrumentation, or technically brilliant arrangement or recording.... I just like the song

londonflash, RSteven, DirkM and 6 others like this.
  3. mark winstanley

Roustabout NOV take 1-6

I always liked this song too. It has a cool breezy feel, and it just floats along beautifully. It captures the feel of the character it represents very well. This also probably isn't Elvis's best movie, but it is one that I always remember from the first time I saw it on TV, and I always enjoyed it.

RSteven, Diego Lucas and Dave112 like this.
  4. mark winstanley

Wheels On My Heels LO take 7/M

A fun little track that somewhat reflects the old style rock and roll from the fifties.

5. mark winstanley

There's A Brand New Day On The Horizon KO take 5/M

This almost has a Battle Hymn Of The Republic feel about its construction. This is just feel good music that fits in with the concept of the movie.

RSteven, Diego Lucas and Dave112 like this.
  6. mark winstanley

Big Love Big Heartache EO take 17/M

Quite obviously a love song, and it has some really nice structural ideas, and I think it works really well.

7. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

And the audience reaction is fantastic on Dixieland rock, which makes the listening a great experience.

RSteven, minkahed, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  8. Mark, I’m like you in that I appreciated a lot of the soundtrack material. Every one of them brings a smile to my face at least at some point while listening. And Roustabout has grown on me a bit this year so I’m not as critical of it as I was previously. I believe the FTD collects all that is in the vaults (sadly a lot of the tapes are missing) of this material.

I do wish FTD had included the promo movie spots on this release though. Who knows, maybe they’ll compile them and issue as part of a future FTD set.

9. I found the write-up Keith Flynn did, which is in italics below. I don’t know why but I can’t seem to copy the exact link. However, it can be found on this site:

For Elvis CD Collectors Only

After going through the new book and CD here are my findings about what is actually contained on the CD.

Firstly, the whole CD has been mastered too high, as per the CD contained in the first volume, which results in clipping throughout the CD. Also there is a real mix-and-match of sources used for the tracks, some of which are a surprise, as better sources exist of the tracks. Anyway, here are some notes about the track listing:

1. Elvis Introduction / Only Believe (With unused horns overdub: June 8th 1970)
    The original source is the Venus bootleg Unedited Masters - Nashville 1970. The “Introduction” comes from the filmed Elvis On Tour interview from March 31 1972.

2. I, John (Take 2 Undubbed master: June 9th 1971)
    The original source is the bootleg Pure Diamonds Volume 3. It is also listed in the book track listing and on the CD back cover as being recorded on June 10 1971 instead of June 9 1971. Some may argue that the author has listed this as June 10 as it may have been recorded after midnight during the session, but then why would the session be correctly dated as being recorded on June 9 1971 when writing about the song in Volume 1? (Page 203).

3. Life (Take 20 Undubbed Master: June 6th 1970)
    This is the first mono track used on the CD and it is the same source as released on the bootleg Pure Diamonds Volume 1.

4. Reach Out To Jesus (Take 9: June 8th 1971)
    The original source is the bootleg Pure Diamonds Volume 3, which is a different mix to the same Take 9 as released on FTD’s classic album of He Touched Me. It is also listed in the book track listing and on the CD back cover as being recorded on June 9 1971 instead of June 8 1971, although in the write-up about the song (Page 81) it is correctly dated as being recorded on June 8 1971. It is also confusingly stated to be “Take 9 Undubbed” instead of just “Take 9”.

5. He Is My Everything (Undubbed Master: June 9th 1971)
    The original source is the bootleg Pure Diamonds Volume 3.

6. He Knows Just What I Need (Take 9: October 30th 1960)
    The original source is the bootleg Stand By Me, although it can be found in better quality on FTD’s classic album of Elvis’ Golden Records Volume 3.

7. Swing Down, Sweet Chariot (Undubbed movie version: October 23rd 1968)
    The original source for this appears to be BMG’s 3xCD set Peace In the Valley, although it was first released on Elvis - A Legendary Performer Volume 4and can also be found on the double-features release of Live A Little, Love A Little / Charro / The Trouble With Girls.

8. We Call On Him (Take 3: September 11th 1967)
    The original source is the bootleg Stand By Me. It is also confusingly stated to be “Take 3 Undubbed” instead of just “Take 3”.

9. Padre (Spliced master: May 15th 1971)
    The original source for this is unknown, but it’s the overdubbed master in mono (For some reason?). It is also listed in the book track listing and on the CD back cover as being recorded on May 16 1971 instead of May 15 1971, although in the write-up about the song (Page 59) it is correctly dated as being recorded on May 15 1971.

10. Elvis Introduction / You’ll Never Walk Alone (Take 2, September 11th 1967)
    The original source is the bootleg Stand By Me, and although listed in the book track listing and on the CD back cover as being the “Extended Master” it isn’t the master at all, it is in fact Take 2! The “Introduction” comes from part of the September 22 1958 interview that was first released on the 50s Masters box-set The King Of Rock ’N’ Roll.

11. On The Jericho Road (Sun Studio: December 4th 1956)
    The original source for this appears to be BMG’s 3xCD set Peace In the Valley.

12. (There’ll Be) Peace In the Valley (For Me) (Ed Sullivan: January 6th 1957)
    The original source for this appears to be the box-set A Golden Celebration.

13. Down By The Riverside / When The Saints Go Marchin’ In (May 12th-13th 1965)
    Although this is in the “1956-1977: Elvis Impromptu, ‘Live’ And Rare” section of the CD it is actually just lifted directly from the Frankie And Johnnymovie soundtrack.

14. The Lord’s Prayer (Edit: May 16th 1971)
    The original source for this is A Hundred Years From Now - Essential Elvis Volume 4, although the beginning has been edited out here.

15. Elvis Introduction / Must Jesus Bear The Cross Alone / Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus / Nearer My God To Thee (March 31st 1972)
    The original source for this appears to be BMG’s 3xCD set Peace In the Valley, and it is in mono. This was released years ago on the Madison bootleg Rock My Soul in stereo which would have fitted better here.

16. Bosom Of Abraham (Alexandria, LA: March 29 1977) / You Better Run (March 31st 1972)
    As above, the original source for 'You Better Run' appears to be BMG’s 3xCD set Peace In the Valley, and it is in mono, but could have been in stereo from the Rock My Soul bootleg, which would have fitted better here. Although listed as being from the same rehearsal, 'Bosom Of Abraham' is actually the live version from March 29 1977 in Alexandria!

17. Elvis Introduction / The Impossible Dream (MSG, New York: June 10th 1972 evening show)
    This is the regular live version of the song as found on Elvis As recorded At Madison Square Garden. The introduction is from Elvis’ speech at the Jaycee’s awards on January 16 1971, but the source appears to be an old vinyl copy of This Is Elvis - The sound quality is terrible!

18. Where No One Stands Alone (Montgomery, AL: February 16 1977)
    The original source is the bootleg Coming On Strong, and it is in stereo where it was only released in mono on FTD’s Unchained Melody release. I can understand why the stereo version was used here, but cannot understand why stereo versions of songs weren't used elsewhere.

19-30. Season’s Greetings From Elvis: The Christmas Radio Special From December 3rd 1967
    The original source for this is the Bilko bootleg Season’s Greetings From Elvis, and the edits for the tracks are exactly the same.

31. The First Noel (Undubbed Master: May 16th 1971)
    The original source is the Venus bootleg Christmas Today and it is from an acetate source. It is also listed in the book track listing and on the CD back cover as being recorded on May 21 1971 instead of May 16 1971, although in the write-up about the song (Page 169) it is correctly dated as being recorded on May 16 1971.

32. O Come, All Ye Faithful (Take 1 Undubbed Master: May 16th 1971)
    As above, the original source is the Venus bootleg Christmas Today and it is from an acetate source. It is also listed in the book track listing and on the CD back cover as being recorded on May 21 1971 instead of May 16 1971, although in the write-up about the song (Page 19) it is correctly dated as being recorded on May 16 1971.

Keith

10. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

I keep hearing this, but some of the places and sites I frequent says otherwise.

Some of those FTD albums are just going for stupid money.

I have a sealed, "Good Times" FTD Lp and was offered $300 for it.

11. Yeah I keep hearing that too, but it doesn’t seem to apply to the albums I’m on the lookout for. Sure, the Readers Digest set has lost much of any value it might have had, but who cares lol.

And for $300 I say sell it :)

croquetlawns and mark winstanley like this.
  12. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

What a great lil track from this movie and film. The one gripe I have about it is that it's too damn short !!! LOL

This is a prime example of going through Elvis's soundtrack albums and finding great little nuggets throughout, such as this one.

13. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

The FTD record prices are crazy. I bought the Jungle Room LP when it came out. It was riddled with cracks and pops and didn’t sound as good as the CD. I sold it for a crazy price. I collect vinyl but was never impressed with the FTD vinyl. I see the Elvis is Back LP commands like $400... :rolleyes:

Dave112, minkahed and mark winstanley like this.
  14. mark winstanley

My record revival lasted about 12 months. Most of them were over priced rubbish.
    I got better quality records from kmart in the early eighties

Dave112, CowboyBill and minkahed like this.
  15. CowboyBill

Yeah, besides a few labels (analogue productions, Friday music, etc..) I don’t buy new vinyl. It’s fun buying the old stuff when you find it great condition at a store. A lot of those original pressings still sound better than any new mastering. The other night I played my NM copy of From Elvis in Memphis (Hollywood pressing) and my jaw dropped.

If I’m not mistaken the only FTD LP to get the full analog treatment was Jailhouse Rock. Never bought it though.

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  16. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Please elaborate on your thoughts and opinions on the rubbish.

mark winstanley likes this.
  17. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Now I'm interested in listening to this when I get home tonite.

When my little girl was born, it was the first song I sang to her and she loves it till this day so.

I will play it for her as well.

18. mark winstanley

I never had any Ftd records.
    There is a mentality that 180 and 200 gram records are the ducks nuts, and perhaps they're supposed to be (as they seem to be all anyone makes), but too many were warped, holes off centre and noisy. I never had to buy a record cleaner in the eighties, so I'm certainly not buying one now lol.... I probably only have a hundred and fifty maybe.... and I like playing them for nostalgia reasons, so I don't regret it on that level, but for me sacd, dvd-a and bluray audio are leaps and bounds ahead. Cd's would be leaps and bounds ahead, if mastered properly.

Obviously I'm an outlier , but that's just how I feel about it personally

19. CowboyBill

I also find that to be a problem. Almost all newer records are slightly warped and labels off center. I also hate the fact that it’s just digital files pressed on the vinyl. I’d rather have the lossless files if that’s the case. I’m interested to hear some of the Friday Records Elvis titles. I shyed away due to the digital files but I keep hearing they sound amazing.

20. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I am not really into the recent reissues although I have heard some of the Friday Music records of the 50s albums that sound very good.

Original pressings of Elvis Is Back, Something For Everybody and Golden Records vol. 3 sound excellent. They sound as good as the recent digital remasters, if not better, imo.

Dave112, RSteven, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  21. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Roustabout is a very listenable soundtrack album. My favorites are Little Egypt, One Track Heart and Big Love-Big Heartache. But I REALLY like the rejected title cut.

londonflash, Dave112, RSteven and 5 others like this.
  22. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I watched Roustabout last night. It was on one of the Pluto channels. It really is one of the better Elvis movies and the soundtrack is a lot of fun.

23. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

What you are paying a premium for is that gold stamp. Absolutely nothing special about the record. RCA didn't actually DO promo LPs.

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I own a bunch of original Elvis vinyl. Some of it can be a bit surprising to listen to if you’re used to listening to Elvis on CD, because some of the CDs have been remixed. So the original mixes can sound odd if you’re not used to them.

25. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

I just acquired some Elvis singles, one EP and 2 albums, all original.

I played a few of them and I will say, they sound phenomenal. These, I suppose, are the original sound recordings that the original records had, correct ?

In other words, the original fan base ... No reissues, no mixing, remixing, mastering done ✅