Elvis - The Posthumous Years 2000 - ...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 9, 2020.

1. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The Elvis catalogue sounds great in digital so except for a few albums, there is really no reason to get the records but of course most of them are cheap.

2. DoF

DoF Less is more...

ordered this: Elvis Presley – From Elvis In Nashville (2020, CD)

3. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Nice! You won’t be disappointed. Lots of great music and they did a fantastic job remixing it. The LP doesn’t have all the tracks so for the money you made the right choice.

4. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Totally agree - it's the best Elvis release in some time IMO.

5. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

I know Ernst and company had made a constructive decision to use the original LP Master for the FTD, but they sound absolutely dull, flat, and dry. They should have at least put a fresh remix on the second disc, but I absolutely agree about the Double Features mixes.

Quite ironically, the other day I had put my "Double Trouble" FTD in my sister's car on the way to work.

After listening to the original album and then moving on to the outtakes, we just both couldn't believe the sonic improvement compared to the original LP.

She actually told me she enjoyed listening to that. LOL

6. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Just to clarify - so FTD uses the original mix of Double Trouble, and then the outtakes sound much better?

7. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Absolutely yes !!!

mark winstanley and croquetlawns like this.
  8. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I'd say no, the FTD does not use the original album mix, check out Could I Fall in Love for instance, the duet vocals are placed differently than the original album and have added reverb, more in line with the Double Feature remix. Some of the outtakes are in mono...

9. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Kino Lorber is releasing Change Of Habit on blu-ray on October 19.
    Extras include:
    • NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger and Nathaniel Thompson
    • Theatrical Trailer

[​IMG]

Source: Home Theater Forum.com

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Now that might be worth picking up. I don't need a lot of the interchangeable mid-60s flicks but this one and Charro stand out from that period as Elvis kinda sorta doing something different.

11. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

12. When In Rome

The biggest Elvis event this millenium!! Replete with 'live' unboxing video!!
    Contains 4 (Four!!) discs of previously heard material remixed to sound more modern and different-ish!!
    It's what the Elvis world has been waiting for... at least since the last boxset!

All kidding aside, it does look the part but it's just the material is a far cry from its sister volume. Will an undubbed remix save it from mediocrity. We shall see...

13. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Honestly, I never purchased the Speedway FTD. I have always wondered what the remixes sound like. Is it really worth the effort to purchase this ???

Is there not any specific thing that distinguish these re-mixes from the "Masters" ?

mark winstanley and croquetlawns like this.
  14. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

My feelings about the original album is basically the same, but if I need a fix for this material, I break out the 1998 "Memories" set. Just wonderful.

Does the FTD really sound better ??

I recently came across my original LP of this album, only to realize that the record had 2 side 2's on both sides !!! Unfortunately, the record now is most likely graded Good, it's still funny to me after all these years.

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

I ordered "From Elvis In Nashville", only to find the records were badly warped !!!

They same thing happened with the records from the Legacy Edition of "Madison Square Garden", just dirty and smudge looking.

16. londonflash

I love the big, brash sound of the production numbers with Elvis in incredible vocal form. That was an FTD it took me a while to buy, but it's tremendous. Love the sound of the outtakes (many of which previously released but featured here sounding better than before).

17. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

I'm gonna take your word for it and find it for purchase.

I'm hoping it's still available and not deleted.

Thanks for the review.

18. londonflash

Excellent mate! Hope you're able to find a copy and enjoy playing it loud and often.

19. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

In comparison to the 1998 BMG release, "Memories" (2 cd), does the FTD version sound even better ???

20. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The original album master is used for the FTD. It is what it is. The same master is used on The Album Collection.
    The Memories set is compiled from better sources and sound better. The bonus cuts on disc 1 of the FTD is taken from the same good sources as Memories and the difference in sound quality compared to the original album is very noticeable.

Shawn, Hep Alien, minkahed and 7 others like this.
  21. When In Rome

I was surprised those uncut masters didn't turn up on the FTD in a remastered form, also it would have been fantastic if the entire album was remastered (or reconstructed) from the ground up but I suppose that is a massive ask. I recall a few dodgy edits were tidied up slightly though...

22. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The album was reconstructed from the best sources on the Complete Masters and the Franklin Mint set but it hasn't showed up on other releases. Memories and If I Can Dream are stereo and without the overdubbed applause. Elvis' talk about music right before the gospel medley is the only part that didn't use the best source.

23. When In Rome

I beg to differ, in a polite way of course! Apart from the live tracks, the stereo cuts of Memories and If I Can Dream I'm pretty sure the sources they use on the complete masters for the rest of the studio material is not the remastered/remixed material from the 'Memories' CD, but the age old album masters...

minkahed and mark winstanley like this.
  24. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I need to check again, but it's the live material that needed to be upgraded the most. The sources found in the 90s were major upgrades.

minkahed, artfromtex and When In Rome like this.
  25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I wasn't sure where to talk about this one.... or more ask a question.

I just saw a 7cd set of live material from 1970.
    Is/was this a follow up to the 69 shows we got last year?
    Is it any good?
    Has anyone even heard of it?

Cheers guys

croquetlawns likes this.