Elvis - The Posthumous Years 2000 - ...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 9, 2020.

1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Regarding the
    I was thinking the same thing when I glanced at that tracklist. It's not blues, and it's a pretty odd inclusion given the wealth of material they had to choose from.

Dave112, Tord, croquetlawns and 2 others like this.
  2. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

There was a song by the monks from 1979 called 'Nice legs, shame about her face' (totally un-pc, different times I guess!) but to misquote the band, it could be 'Nice legs, shame about the faith'? :)
    S'funny but I had a very similiar experience with a girl in my youth...

3. Elvis Lovin' - surely one of the worst Elvis album titles.

4. This was also available via a few Elvis online dealers and I saw it in a few brick-and-mortar stores too.

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Are you certain about Aloha? In Hawaii? I heard it was 8 tracks.

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

September 2020

White Christmas - 078630 67959 2

Label:
    BMG ‎– 07563 67959 2, RCA ‎– 07563 67959 2
    Format:
    CD, Compilation, Remastered
    Indonesia
    Released:
    Genre:
    Rock, Pop
    Style:
    Pop Rock, Vocal

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 Santa Claus Is Back In TownWritten-By – Lieber / Stoller* 2:24
    2 White ChristmasWritten-By – Irving Berlin 2:24
    3 Here Comes Santa Claus (Right Down Santa Claus Lane)Written-By – Autry*, Haldeman* 1:55
    4 I’ll Be Home For ChristmasWritten-By – Ram*, Gannon*, Kent* 1:54
    5 Blue ChristmasWritten-By – Hayes*, Johnson* 2:08
    6 Santa Bring My Baby Back (To Me)Written-By – Schroeder*, DeMetrius* 1:53
    7 O Little Town Of BethlehemWritten-By – Redner*, White* 2:36
    8 Silent NightWritten-By – Gruber*, Mohr* 2:19
    9 (There’ll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me)Written-By – Thomas A. Dorsey 3:21
    10 I BelieveWritten-By – Stillman*, Drake*, Graham*, Shirl* 2:05
    11 Take My Hand, Precious LordWritten-By – Thomas A. Dorsey 3:18
    12 It Is No Secret (What God Can Do)Written-By – Stuart Hamblen 3:55
    13 O Come, All Ye FaithfulArranged By – Elvis PresleyWritten-By – Traditional 2:49
    14 The First NoelArranged By – Elvis PresleyWritten-By – Traditional 2:11
    15 On A Snowy Christmas NightWritten-By – Stanley J. Gelber 2:50
    16 Winter WonderlandWritten-By – Smith*, Bernard* 2:19
    17 The Wonderful World Of ChristmasWritten-By – Frisch*, Tobias* 1:58
    18 It Won’t Seem Like Christmas (Without You)Written-By – J.A. Balthrop 2:42
    19 I’ll Be Home On Christmas DayWritten-By – Michael Jarrett (2) 3:50
    20 If I Get Home On Christmas DayWritten-By – Tony Macaulay 2:52
    21 Holly Leaves And Christmas TreesWritten-By – Spreen*, West* 2:14
    22 Merry Christmas BabyWritten-By – Moore*, Baxter* 5:45
    23 Silver BellsWritten-By – Evans / Livingston* 2:27
    24 Mama Liked The RosesWritten-By – John Christopher* 2:48
    25 If Every Day Was Like ChristmasWritten-By – Red West 2:53
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here we get the obligatory Christmas compilation, being released just before Christmas in 2000. Obviously it contains most of the tracks from Elvis's Christmas albums.
    I was surprised how much I liked Elvis's Christmas albums, particularly the first one. So I imagine that this is a good one, but of course you guys are much more familiar with these things than I, so let us know the story with this one.

Cheers
    Mark

laf848, Dave112, TaumpyTears and 2 others like this.
  7. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

They made the right decision to leave off the 50s ep tracks that were on the first Christmas album, IMO.

8. mark winstanley

October 2000

Tucson '76 - FTD - 74321 79045 2

Label:
    Follow That Dream Records ‎– 74321 79045-2, BMG ‎– 74321 79045-2, RCA ‎– 74321 79045-2
    Format:
    CD, Compilation
    Europe
    Released:
    Genre:
    Rock, Pop, Folk, World, & Country
    Style:
    Pop Rock, Rock & Roll

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 See See RiderArranged By – Elvis PresleyWritten-By – Trad* 3:26
    2a I Got A WomanWritten-By – Ray Charles 5:54
    2b AmenWritten-By – Traditional
    3 Love MeWritten-By – Leiber / Stoller* 4:00
    4 If You Love MeWritten-By – John Rostill 3:01
    5 You Gave Me A MountainWritten-By – Marty Robbins 3:58
    6 All Shook UpWritten-By – Presley*, Blackwell* 1:30
    7a (Let Me Be Your) Teddy BearWritten-By – Lowe*, Mann* 2:01
    7b Don't Be CruelWritten-By – Presley*, Blackwell*
    8 And I Love You SoWritten-By – Don McLean 3:39
    9 Jailhouse RockWritten-By – Leiber / Stoller* 1:36
    10 Help MeWritten-By – Larry Gatlin 3:02
    11 FeverWritten-By – Cooley*, Davenport* 3:13
    12 Polk Salad AnnieWritten-By – Tony Joe White 4:09
    13a Introductions 13:35
    13b Early Morning RainWritten-By – Gordon Lightfoot
    13c What'd I SayWritten-By – Ray Charles
    13d Love LettersWritten-By – Heyman*, Young*
    13e Long Live Rock And RollWritten-By – J Colyer*
    14 HurtWritten-By – Jacobs*, Crane* 4:09
    15 Burning LoveWritten-By – Dennis Linde 3:08
    16 Help Me Make It Through The NightWritten-By – Kris Kristofferson 2:04
    17 Danny BoyWritten-By – Weatherly* 5:04
    18 Hound DogWritten-By – Leiber / Stoller* 2:01
    19 Funny How Time Slips AwayWritten-By – Willie Nelson 3:17
    20 Can't Help Falling In LoveWritten-By – Weiss*, Peretti*, Creatore* 2:13
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I assume this is the first FTD that was released of a concert, and of course there have since been a lot of these. We now probably have more Elvis concerts available on disc than just about any artist, in comparison to how many concerts he performed.
    Would this be the first time we really got a rawe and ready version of JD Sumner's dive bombing? I don't know, but that grows pretty old pretty quickly.
    Of all the tapes they have it is interesting that 1976 was the first cab off the rank.
    The sound seems to be pretty clear on this one.
    Recorded June 1 1976 at the Community Centre Arena, Tuscon, Arizona.

Dave112, Tord, RSteven and 1 other person like this.
  9. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

But the big wow here was the live version of Danny Boy sung by Elvis and not Sherril Nielsen, which is fine. The Concert is a bit uninspired otherwise. It´s a bit sad, that Elvis cared so Little about his Music. He wasn´t sure if Danny boy was on his latest album.

10. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

It's not a good show and a somewhat surprising selection for the label's first live release. Surely the choice was made purely for the performance of Danny Boy, which I think was only sung once on stage.

It was done as a "request" - someone in the audience wanted The Last Farewell but Elvis doesn't know it. It's been years since it's been played by me but I remember thinking that Elvis didn't seem to know or care about what was on his latest album.

Dave112, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  11. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

And he sang "Danny Boy" live in a higher key than the released master.

Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  12. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

I take it that "That's The Way It Is" Special Edition still has unique material and not made redundant by "That's The Way It Is" 8 CD Deluxe Edition. Looking at the track lists, it looks like Special Edition has more rehearsals. Is that correct? If you want all TTWII material, you need both boxes?

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  13. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

I noticed that. There are early takes during the Jungle Room Sessions where he's struggling with the key, at one point to even make it higher, but that's no good. So he ends up recording it in a lower key than what he wanted. Perhaps being in front of a crowd enabled him to sing it like he originally intended

14. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Tucson '76 is one of those FTDs that I haven't listened to in years. The one-off Danny Boy doesn't do anything for me, and honestly, I completely forgot about it until this morning. Listening to it now, at least the sound is pretty good, and there are some enjoyable moments (I'll listen to pretty much any Elvis performance of You Gave Me A Mountain or If You Love Me (Let Me Know)). It's not something I'll be revisiting frequently, but it's still quite a bit better than some of the soundboards that I've heard.

Dave112, Shawn, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  15. mark winstanley

My understanding, and I may have misunderstood, was that the big box covers it

Dave112 and MerseyBeatle like this.
  16. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Compared to New Haven, the Tucson show isn't too bad. Unfortunately, it seems as though most of his shows are OK...not spectacular, certainly no amazing, energetic concerts of years prior, but OK.

That would be the standard for him from this point onward...

Dave112, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  17. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Yes, that's correct. These tracks are only available on the 3 cd set.

Peter Gunn Theme
    That's All Right
    I Can't Stop Loving You
    Johnny B. Goode
    Mary In The Morning
    The Wonder Of You

laf848, Dave112, TaumpyTears and 9 others like this.
  18. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

19. mark winstanley

Thanks again @ClausH , your help has been invaluable

Dave112, MerseyBeatle and RSteven like this.
  20. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I do not understand. All 12 song from Elvis' Christmas Album LOC-1035 (LPM-1951) are included here. There were 3 1950s EPs of this material, including Peace In The Valley EP, on this CD. Of course the first Camden Christmas album left off the Peace In The Valley material (as did a few other repackages of this album).

The ONE HUGE disappointment is they included Elvis' preamble greeting on Silent Night instead of the original unadorned master.

21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I find Tuscan '76 a pretty enjoyable listen as well. A fairly interesting setlist too, perhaps a little on the mellow side with so many ballads scattered among it, but it is still pretty cool to hear him tackle Love Letters, Danny Boy and Help Me Make It Through The Night in a concert setting. Elvis also includes Polk Salad Annie in this setlist, returning an older concert highlight as well.

I know his voice is not top tier here by any means, although he does deliver some fine vocals on his usual late 70's favorites like Hurt and You Gave Me A Mountain. I do find Danny Boy intriguing in the higher key, despite the wobbly vibrato. These soundboards always make me wonder what his mid 70's concerts would have really sounded like had they been recorded professionally on multi-tracks. By the very nature of these soundstage recordings, they always sound particularly flat and a little less full and rich. Would any of us change our overall evaluation of these later 70's concerts, if we could have heard them recorded in a more sonically pleasing and technologically superior fashion?

One more additional thought on this particular concert in Tuscan, but it surely could apply to some of those other mid 70's concerts. For an artist that many popular music critics of the day considered fairly unhip or out of touch with the popular music trends of the day, Elvis was actually actively promoting and covering an intriguing list of songwriters that much of the world would certainly come to appreciate, in no small effort due to Elvis covering many of their songs. Dennis Linde, Don McLean, Tony Joe White, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson and Larry Gatlin would get a lot of new found attention by Elvis covering their material. It could single handily make a career take off. Country singers like Eddie Rabbit spoke about this before he died as did some of these other songwriters like Kris Kristofferson. I still do not think Elvis gets enough respect for his connection with so many of these important songwriters, particularly in the country genre. You could add Mickey Newbury to this list as well with his stupendous medley of American Trilogy that became such a concert highlight for Elvis. Once Elvis covered one of you songs, you pretty much were granted some degree of instant fame as a tunesmith as Dave Marsh so wisely pointed out in his 70's box set essay for Elvis.

laf848, Dave112, Shawn and 5 others like this.
  22. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

23. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Too bad FTD and a few others do not know that it is spelled "Tucson". Not "Tuscon"

24. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Now we're into the era that I was old enough to be buying CD's and what a time it was. My first trip to Memphis was around the time FTD released "Memphis Sessions". I bought that not knowing what an FTD was. After playing it on my portable CD player, I went back to the gift shop and bought whatever I could afford. Including "Long Lonely Highway". Sure the songs were released later on Classic albums but these compilations hold a special place in my heart. Hearing outtakes and Elvis goofing around was a revelation for me as I heard the masters 1,000's of times. Luckily I wasn't drawn into Tucson 76 at the time. I wanted all them outtakes baby!

I still love the sound on the TTWII 3 CD box concert, I was thinking of picking up the 8 CD but I'm not dropping $300 on material I have already minus a few concerts.

laf848, Dave112, londonflash and 5 others like this.
  25. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Bizarre - they make an 8 CD box set but don't include everything from the 3 CD version! It's the kind of thing that drives completests mad :realmad:

Dave112, MrSka57, RSteven and 4 others like this.