EMI Air conditioners recorded?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by britt2001b, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member Thread Starter

I've read that some can actually hear the EMI air conditioners on a few recordings of The Beatles. I remember trying to hear some myself a few years back but I don't recall finding any. But today, while listening to "Revolver" with headphones, I think I might have unintentionally caught one. During the sitar intro to "Love You To" I heard what I thought was my room air conditioner. I removed my headphones to find my air conditioner off. The more I listened to the intro, the more it sounded like an air conditioner running in the background. Am I hearing one? And has anyone picked this up on other EMI Beatle's recordings?

2. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Supposedly you can hear the EMI ac during that last up-faded note of "A Day in the Life."

3. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]&rnum=2

You guys might like the above link, I was doing a search for the air conditioner thing on Google Groups and this popped up. It doesn't have much to do with this but I'm enjoying it (haven't finished reading yet) -- and it should mention the A/C somewhere since it came up with the search.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I think they probably turned off the air conditioner when they taped the last note, don't you?

5. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I surely do, but love the silly stories! That said, somebody didn't sit still on the piano bench, which emits a squeak... or does it??? :)

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I think it has more to do with compression...the sitar has some nasty peaks, according to Geoff Emerick, so they probably had to compress the crap out of it. I doubt a world class studio like Abbey road would have that noisy of an A/C audible at normal levels.....Day in the Life I could understand.

Steve, does this make sense?

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It does squeak, and supposedly the air conditioner was on.

Paper rustling at the end, as a slip of paper falls... 53 1/2 seconds of sustain, 7PM-3:45 Wednesday 22 Feb.

Also a noteable, there's ~ 8 1/2 seconds after the runout before the tape stops on the last BOOOoooonnnnnggggg edit piece.

If and when this gets to be re-released, the SACD/ DVD-A may reveal the place where they didn't fade out early. That was only done for the album.

8. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

I think you're right Sckott. In the "Sgt Pepper" book, I believe Martin makes mention of this.

9. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I'll bet that's what the mystery November 18 Beatles release is going to be-a compilation of all of the tracks with the air conditioner in the background, mixed in 5.1 for added realism. Too bad the recordings weren't made in the winter- they could have titled it "Heat the Beatles."
    I'm very sorry.

10. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

They've already done that campaign.. 'more popular than Jesus', remember? They did go a bit overboard with the heat however :D.

Man think of all those 1st pressings being melted and jumped on.. AIEEEE THE PAAIN THE PAAIIN

11. fraser

fraser Forum Resident

"As it is ,on the special UHQR edition of Sgt Pepper , you can hear the abbey road air conditioning system purring away in the background as Geoff opens up the volume faders to the stops at the very end of the die - away." Quote from "With a little help from my friends the making of sgt pepper" by George Martin

12. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

Thanks for the quote Fraser! :)

13. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I think all the record burning was in the U.S.A. so it was Capitol releases going up in smoke.No great loss. :)

14. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

You can clearly hear Ringo's bass drum pedal squeaking away on the first album - not all the way through, just on isolated sections of one or two songs, but it's definitley there. I love it, it adds to the charm/immediacy of the record. Isn't there a website (or two) about Beatles' 'recording anomalies'?

15. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Hi John, of course there is! Some are a stretch.

http://www.stevesbeatles.com/wgo/list.asp

mud-:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.