Empty mobile commercial coffee cups in movies/sitcoms

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by musicarus, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Conversely, why do police/investigators/mystery hunters of various sorts never, ever turn on the lights but insist on bumping around in the dark with flashlights. Turn on the lights. Especially in that warehouse-sized cavernous deep basement. Just flip the switch. Makes things so much easier, safer.

2. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Probably the only correct place on it. :cheers:

musicarus likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You are absolutely right. I hate it when actors pretend to drink coffee from cups that are obviously empty. They do this all the time. If it were me as a director, I'd at least fill the cup with water and have them drink something and give the cup a little weight.

I believe there is an "Idiot Character Rule" in some films, which Ray Bradbury talked about years ago when he reviewed the movie Alien. He said, "so you have an incredibly hostile, dangerous small alien that has already killed one crewmember and has acid for blood. What do you do? If you're smart, you stick together and come up with a good plan to protect yourself. But the idiot characters split up, go to remote parts of the spaceship, go into rooms that are very dark, and they each get picked off, one at a time, by the now-gigantic alien." So too many movies hinge on the characters acting like idiots.

4. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident Thread Starter

I guess we need more space on our coordinate on the spectrum for vidiot.

5. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

A good actor should be able to mime the motion of coffee drinking without using the cup as a prop.

6. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Invisible cups being handled respectful of Newtonian laws I have no problem with.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, there's a difference in weight between an empty cup and one filled with coffee. I have the same problem with people who "pretend" that a package or a prop is very heavy, when it's clear they're faking it and it's as light as a feather. It never looks real.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

OUCH!

chilinvilin and Chris DeVoe like this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Also, she's soldering the component side of the board.

Rooster_Ties and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.