End of the Dylan bootleg series looming?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Carl Steward, Sep 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

No, but I've always been curious about late-tour shows from that era, after he and the band had gotten more comfortable, expanded the repertoire, etc, but before the jesus stuff started. I've heard those gigs were a lot better than what was captured on Budokan.

2. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I've got a boot of a different show (can't remember which) that I like a lot better than the Budokan album.

3. walrus

4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

They do if they want any of my money.

monkeyboy67 and Hootsmon like this.
  5. walrus

So you're saying if they put out 50+ professionally recorded/mixed Dylan concerts via Nugs, you wouldn't be interested at all?

6. BLundy

BLundy Well-Known Member

Single and/or double CD sets in the Bootleg Series has been the norm. No need for the "hope".

Vol. 4 to 7 (2 discs each)
    Vol. 8 (available in 1 or 2 disc editions)
    Vol. 9 to 13 (2 discs each)
    Vol. 14 (1 disc)

The exception to the above being the first release (3 discs) and last years Vol. 15 (3 discs).

Why is that?

You are already getting your "hope" (2 discs) with each release. Why prevent others that want the "deluxe" editions from the option of being able to buy them.
    I want deluxe editions of every release (the more discs/the bigger, the better).
    Those, like yourself, can choose to ignore them and just buy the Reader's Digest Condensed Versions (2 CDs). Everyone wins.

7. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

I use to be really into Bob Dylan and bought the first three releases from The Bootleg on CD. Sold one set about 3 years ago along with some Dylan albums on CD. 4 years ago bought the Classic Records vinyl pressing of The Bootleg Series Volume 4. Ive kept it since i paid a little bit above retail price. The more recent BootlegSeries sets I've downloaded and ir streamed on Amazon. Im really starting to consider to hault buying music on physical media since im running out of space. Also im not much of a fan of later Bob material, his folk rock days are where its at for me.

8. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

This issue with the large box sets is that generally they aren't for pulling in new fans and audiences, the expensive sets are bought mostly by same set of buyers purchasing each one of them, so to a degree, buyer's fatigue eventually can set in for many when they look at their shelves and their wallets and think "Well, I've already bought four or five of these deluxe Dylan sets, he's got enough of my money I'll stream the rest." So naturally sales will decline a bit from release to release. But there still should be a core audience for a few more outtakes from Dylan's 60s and 70s material, one would presume. Not sure he will dig deeper into the 80s or 90s again.

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Grateful Dylan live set must be done!

Shvartze Shabbos, Fletch and drift like this.
  10. drift

drift Forum Resident

I listened to all six of those shows. They're not as bad as their reputation, and definitely more enjoyable than the live record. I bet there's some great recorded rehearsal stuff from that tour we haven't even dreamed about.

11. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Rather than a fixed (but slowly declining) number of super-fans who will buy the deluxe sets, I think it's more like there's a fixed number of super-fans who are willing to buy the deluxe sets, and then maybe 60-80% of them buy every set -- but the fans that make up the buyers varies every time. In other words, not every one of these "super-fans" buys EVERY set, but enough of them get each one to keep the numbers up.

As for the '80s and '90s, an Infidels box is already strongly rumored for this year, and The Source has told Rolling Stone that Infidels, Oh Mercy and Time Out Of Mind are all options for deep dives, as well as post-Christian early-80s, and even the much-maligned mid-80s. With other periods / projects of interest still out there (the David Bromberg sessions, the Supper Club shows), I'd say it's likely the Bootleg Series will continue as long as it remains commercially viable. And since Bob Inc. is wary of going to the 1960s too often, it is likely they will continue to go back and forth between "Classic Bob" and "Modern Bob."

DeeThomaz, beatleroadie and Bink like this.
  12. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Nice! Good info there. I don't know much about the Infidel's album. That was his firsts post-Christian album? Like...mid 80s? Isn't there a decent amount of 80s stuff on Vol 1-3?

Sean Murdock likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I just really wanted them to put together a dvd/bluray of the concert footage from rolling thunder. I know they have footage of the Hard Rain/Fort Collins stuff.... I know they have footage in the Renaldo and Clara thing.
    C'mon Bob, get a concert collated from all this footage for us please :)

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  14. Fred1970

Fred1970 Forum Phantom

Infidels from 1983 was perhaps, in a way, a return to secular matters, but it also contains Christian oriented lyrics/imagery. Man of Peace is one example, Jokerman another.

Blind Willie McTell was a chef d‘oeuvre from these sessions that wasn’t included. Luckily, there is one version on The Bootleg Series I-III :)

jamiesjamies likes this.
  15. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Infidels was released in 1983 -- as @Fred1970 said -- and is considered a "post-Christian" album, but really there's a religious/apocalyptic streak that continues on Infidels and nearly all his other albums. There's a "decent" amount of stuff from the 1980s on Bootleg Series 1-3, but for a set subtitled "1961-1991" there's only one track on it from after 1984 ("Series Of Dreams"). Bootleg Series 8: Tell Tale Signs addresses that with many Oh Mercy outtakes, but other than the very early '80s (the 2nd and 3rd "Christian" albums), Disc 3 of BS1-3, and half of TTS, the 1980s are fairly unexplored by the Bootleg Series.

Fred1970, beatleroadie and DeeThomaz like this.
  16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Hard sell for me. Not a fan of the Dead, and their work with Dylan isn't special. Still, it might pull in some Dead fans who don't follow Dylan, so I guess it might benefit commercially.

17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I still wonder how the Bootleg Series will deal with the Never Ending Tour. That could be the next 20 years of releases right there.

philly67 likes this.
  18. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

I can live w/o physical product; just don’t stop! Just give us high res downloads; that’s how I listen to the huge cutting edge set either through flash or WiFi. I won’t miss the “goodies” that accompany a lot of these oversized boxes. Just put track info and other tidbits on a site where we can access it anytime.

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm glad you can get the music you want, in the format you want. Personally speaking, it's GOT to be physical. I'm not interested in streaming or downloading the music. I'd much prefer the all formats, but if one must go, let's not go the cheap route and just stream.

Alan57 likes this.
  20. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

While I'm not a Dylan mega-fan, I would like to see a box set based around 'Infidels'.

Vaughan and citizensmurf like this.
  21. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

[​IMG]

(Sorry, couldn't resist) :D

Cazale and Vaughan like this.
  22. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Birmingham 1989.

:sigh:

Chemguy likes this.
  23. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I think I was thinking about the Supper Club boot back then.

24. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Yes please Olivia!

25. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

It'd probably be each period of shows that was done around a new album: 1988-89, 1989-90, 1990-91, 1992-93, 1993-94, 1997-98, 2001-02, 2006-07 and so on and so forth.

bRETT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.