Endless Defective Brand New Vinyl

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Talisman954, Sep 4, 2017.

1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

That’s too bad. Both of mine for those titles are damn near silent. Maybe get a refund and try a different retailer?

2. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

That might work. All of my copies were from B&N--maybe they got a bad batch. Glad to hear there are good pressings of these titles out there.

jon9091 likes this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Generally now if you try to return a second copy via the web site you are only offered a refund. Best get a refund and source a copy elsewhere and hope it comes from a different part of the pressing run. This has worked for me in the past. Sometimes you realise that every copy must be badly pressed.

Alan2 likes this.
  4. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

I've had a bad record here and there, but nowhere near what some folks here reference. The worst "errors" I got was a mis-packaged black record which was supposed to be clear, and my first copy of Portishead's Portishead had 2 pressings of side C and D, but no copy of side A or B.

Occasionally I get new albums with lots of pops and clicks - this is very annoying - but in every case I can recall, I've been able to eliminate the popping, clicking, and skips on new records with a thorough cleaning.

I do see lots of warped records, but nothing bad enough to affect playback, yet.

5. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

Glad it's not just me have had to return lots of new vinyl to Amazon in the UK,so like you to have stopped buy it new on there UK site, I now mostly buying n mint original vinyl from a guy in UK who I have had 15 albums all as new condition regardless of age. I have bought vinyl off German Amazon and had better luck with German and dutch pressings it makes you wander if UK Amazon standards not as high as in Europe. Many of the sealed vinyl from Amazon uk I have had is very badly marked with glue marks and bad paper marks,and even had to return 2 copies of Rick Wakeman Journey albums with foot prints on both sides,yes trainer shoe prints and finger marks,are they re sealing returns? Can't say but I was refunded in full. Went to my local Vinyl store,bought the same album and it was perfect and on that day Rick Wakeman was their signing his new piano cd and signed three things for me new copy of Journey my orignal Six Wives and his piano cd,so maybe it was meant to be.

John Bliss, RiRiIII, kronning and 3 others like this.
  6. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

Here is a great series about mastering engineers and modern pressing plants and how to identify them:

Tales Of The Deadwax Playlist - YouTube [/QUOTE]

Thanks aakko. Found your post and started watching this series this morning. Dead wax inscriptions are such a mystery but interesting to me.

7. If I returned every LP which was dished I'd have no new vinyl from the past decade at all, irrespective of where it's come from. I don't find the vinyl from Amazon any worse than elsewhere and as you say they have a no quibble money back or replacement guarantee.

I've just bought an LP from Assai UK via Amazon marketplace and although sealed it turned up with severe ring wear, sleeve indentations, bumped corners and creasing. I sent it back for a replacement and have just received another copy of the same album (The Band "Islands") which is almost as crap as the first one. On the delivery note it states they take great care with their "vinyl". Maybe they brutally manhandle their LP's but treat "vinyl" (flooring?) with great care? I'd beg to differ on their QC anyway. Is ring wear an acceptable fault with a new LP? I'm debating what to do next but I wished I'd bought it from Amazon and paid another couple of pounds. I know I wouldn't have had this problem!

8. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I had 2 records in a row purchased from Assai UK that never even showed up! That's odd. Finally, they sent a replacement, recorded delivery, and that one showed up so no problems with the address. It seems a bit odd compared to someone like Juno Records who always deliver next day. I'd recommend trying them instead if they're cheaper than Amazon itself.

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  9. Classicrock

Do you mean an indentation in the shape of the vinyl or actual loss of print? Former could be down to over tight shrinkwrap at the pressing plant. I have found Assai have some of the best packaging and excellent customer service. They even ordered me a replacement disc from USA for the Simon and Garfunkel box set. Maybe issue is one batch only. Most issues with vinyl are at manufacture and distribution rather than dealers. I have had a couple packages and hence covers horribly crumpled due to inadequate packaging plus rough handling.

I recently have found about 50% of new vinyl has pressing issues with only one case being a dish. Three out of three box sets needed replacing and I gave up with Amazon Uk (one disc had click through most of one side on 2 copies) and ordered from Amazon US for the Buffalo Springfield box set. Worst plant appears to be Optimal - usually scratches with repetitive clicks and crackles.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  10. Yes, an indentation in the shape of the record on both sides of the sleeve, not a loss of print. I don't doubt most problems arise from the manufacturers and hence why I don't understand the criticisms of Amazon UK. I have found it faultless and at least returning LP's is a relatively painless process.

11. Yes, I've used Juno as well and they are quite good, but not necessarily cheaper than anyone else, hence why I tend to use them less frequently.

12. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Juno are rubbish. They use the crappiest mailers without any added protection. I even got a mailer unsealed so the record was able to fall out!!!

13. Juno is not rubbish! It's mailers are no different to anyone else's.

14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Well, they are...just flimsy card mailers. Ive had many things come with creases through their mailers.

15. Maybe the heavier vinyl packages help? I've mainly purchased 2 x 45rpm sets from Juno and mercifully none have arrived damaged. The sleeves tend to be the heavier duty stock though. They do put some card packing on those mailers but to be honest they don't add much protection. The heavier mailers used by Amazon are the best.

16. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Go via their ebay shop, it's cheaper than buying directly from their website.

This is true, I received an LP from them on Saturday and it is in a thin card mailer with no other protection (e.g. carboard mount or inserts or bubble wrap), however, I have yet to receive anything damaged from them so no complaints.

richbdd01 likes this.
  17. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

The ones ive had havent had anything apart to protect then from using a very thin cardboard mailer. Im not going to just rely on the fact that its a heavier package to protect the record. If someone wants me to buy something from them, they need to make sure i receive it without damage.

18. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

You have been lucky, but your parcel is at the mercy of the delivery service. I personally always send vinyl well packaged...

19. Yes, I noticed that and usually do the "price comparison" between the two. It's a daft proposition but you're right, more often that not it pays to buy from them indirectly.

Porkpie likes this.
  20. Classicrock

Juno - I found if you order a couple MFSL discs they come very well wrapped. Standard single albums get the mailer treatment - they should have a card stiffener.

21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

between this thread and the good deals on amazon.com thread it's quite clear we probably just need a "shoddy shipping practices at XXXX" thread.

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  22. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

You know what grinds my gears? When the record is SO sharp, that it cuts right through it's sleeve, making an incision on the bottom or sides - sometime even through the outer record sleeve. It's the worse when it happens to sleeves that have printing on them, and you can't replace them like you can with regular sleeves - then to have a hole on the outer sleeve - how does that even happen!

23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I saw a record by a band called ‘Bottom Feeder’ the other day....would that be classed as a bum pressing? :)

GentleSenator likes this.
  24. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

You do know that the records sold by Amazon UK and Amazon Germany will have been pressed at the same plant?

In fact they could possibly even be shipped from the same warehouse depending upon which one has it in stock!

SteveM likes this.
  25. I'm glad someone called out that obnoxious comment. It certainly is a mean spirited comment and unwarranted, especially whilst I'm sitting here spinning yet another faulty modern vinyl pressing that I have had absolutely zero bearing on. To return or not. I'm sick of this **** now. Mean comments are uncalled for and unhelpful to any of us.