Endless Defective Brand New Vinyl

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Talisman954, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident Thread Starter

You are telling people to stop moaning, and that isnt rude? Seriously!! when what they are actually doing is sharing personal experiences. If you cant handle that then maybe you shouldn’t read here.

QQQ, todd141 and loudinny like this.
  2. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

I agree that Universal is probably the worst of the bunch. While most labels seem to stick to the same pressing plant (or 2/3 different ones), Universal basically gets their records pressed wherever they can. Quite often that means URP/Rainbo/Erika but on a rare occasion they'll shock me by having something pressed at RTI or Pallas. The difference in quality is huge. I always wait for the deadwax info to be filled out on Discogs before I take a chance on any of their releases. I decided on that after they inexplicably decided to reuse the stampers from the shoddy Plain Recordings reissue of Elliott Smith's "Figure 8" for a recent reissue.

Satrus, DrZhivago and Strat-Mangler like this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I'm not telling you to do anything. My statement was -

"I wish people would knock off moaning about 180 gram and falling standards......"

How many threads do we get on this based on an unlucky run of purchases? I have had similar clusters of bad product but the long term average is what counts. Few post that they bought 6 discs that play perfectly. It's annoying but comes with the territory with vinyl records - always has.

4. Talisman954

I actually see both sides of

You will continue to point out incorrect presumptions? Lol. Ok You feel the need to tell people to stop moaning?
    Your not the thread police.
    You dont control peoples rights to express opinions, so you carry on trying to control what people type, i however will ignore you and focus on valid and informative posts.
    As for your point about negativity towards new vinyl, i actually posted in this thread just last night about a 3 lp vinyl box set that played and looked amazing.
    I see both sides of the coin on this.

5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

6. Talisman954

Lol

7. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I have not laughed so much in ages, and I'm a self confessed nerd.

DHamilton and Talisman954 like this.
  8. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Actually, it's the Jazz Images series, featuring photos by Jean-Pierre Leloire. They're also gatefolds.

9. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Speaking on the US side, my conclusion is that the formulations for
    original 50s->70s vinyl, paper, ink and cardboard no longer exist,
    possibly because of the cost of reproduction (good luck with a 78 label).
    Technological changes in manufacturing may be a contributing factor.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

95% alright? That's an awfully generous assumption.

11. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Current production vinyl is in a vicious cycle.

The labels are charging premium prices, because the demand is there.
    Customers are expecting perfection, because they are paying premium prices.
    Meanwhile, pressing plants using ancient equipment are running non-stop.

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

:laugh:

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

If anyone is interested in purchasing the Doors 45 box that's coming out soon, the records in the US box were pressed by Rainbo. MPO pressed the records for European box.

Just posting this as a warning for those in the US. No way, I'm going to buy the domestic version.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    havenz and Eigenvector like this.
  14. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Hi,

Should have stated this only from my personal experience. Based on records I bought over the last few years (e.g Zappa & Beatles reissues). "Alright" also includes minor or moderate kinks that don't ruin the listening experience or cart.

15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I'm buying the 2xCD. 1/10 the price and good enough for my purposes. I like vinyl but come on.

16. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Is the 2xCD is the same remastering as used in the 1999 Doors cube set? Those were quite good.

17. Is it luck or people being too picky ? Hell I don't know. I have over 5000 LPs and maybe in 50 years I got less than 100 that were defective and unplayable for the most part.

I rarely get bad ones today.

e.s. and ssmith3046 like this.
  18. A tick on one spot of a record ? :tiphat:

NorthNY Mark and Micke Lindahl like this.
  19. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Just got Yes Progengy 3 LP set on the cheap and all the records are a little "wavy." Doesn't effect playback so I'm not too concerned about it, but I think like others have posted in various threads about this, the factories are running full tilt with old equipment. Not a huge surprise that a percentage of the records will be less than perfect. Just need to buy from a place with a good return policy in case you just a lemon.

20. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

Some are fine many are in disgraceful condition. Sometimes a good clean fixes them (although you shouldn't have to), however if there's visible anomalies, send it back.

I would suggest that in many instances with new vinyl, quality control takes a back seat to profit. If you can find the original vinyl, that's the way to go and they generally sound better too.

21. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

I hadn't had much problems. I had a Ramones rtr that skipped a lot until I cleaned it TWICE. A had a Queen album that was warped but I bought it on Vinyl because it came with autorip and that was cheaper than the download. There was a live Maiden double picture disc that skipped a bunch and I just returned that.

22. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

"Is that a real poncho, or a Sears poncho?"

I just got through looking around a certain record store in the east of MA looking at wild vinyl. You know, the kind that isn't always black, cheap and made pre-80's.
    I picked up the Rhino copy of Fun House by The Stooges.

My take:

1. The vinyl was done by Rainbo. Unless something is way off in my ability to see, it's Rainbo. And it looked stunning AND scary at the same time. The puck didn't melt in the press long enough!
    2. Even the slightest reflection of light made the thing look like a frizbee that got melted in the sun.
    3. I played it anyway. It sounded actually very good. I have a late-80's "Red hump" Elektra. I don't want to do a shootout, save for my ego. That Elektra copy I bought for $5. The red-splash Rhino got me for $23. I got rid of the Sundazed because to my ears, it sounds like someone turned the dynamic range to "woah." Both S/T and Funhouse. Gone, baby.
    4. Even the quiet passages, normally showing off the glaringly poor parts, were FINE.

I have a great love for the underdog. Because I feel bad sometimes. I also feel bad for the poor peeps who bought all those Beatles reissues in the states and got expensive roof shingles instead.

...But I paid a little less for my Television (Marquee Moon) that was done at Pallas. Sucker feels like a terracotta saucer, and just as flat. Sounds pissa...!

My other take:
    If you get a very bad record and it's in production, try and send it back. But regardless, email the record company with the style and grace of a saint, but with the honesty of Anthony Bordain. Tell them you're not interested in them replacing the item. You just want them to stack with a place with better quality standards, and that you worked hard for that $30 bill and only got $4.25 in change back. Do it every time you get a record past "bad luck". Don't give them hell, give them pause to think.

23. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

No idea - supposedly there are single mixes that have never been released on CD, so at least some of these are new.

24. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

My copy is flat. Seeing as how it came out a couple years ago, it's possible yours warped while in storage.

Thing is, with warping there's really no way of knowing exactly where it happened. At the plant, in a warehouse, during shipping....

25. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Oft times I will purchase the cd just so I don't have these problems.