English Humor-Wallace & Gromit

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by oxenholme, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member Thread Starter

English Humor

I've never had a television, and I've only had a DVD player for a few months. Up till a couple of days ago all my DVD's have been music (Abba, J J Cale, Supertramp, Beatles and the like), but I've just gotten 3 Cracking Adventures - Wallace & Grommit.

It is absolutely brilliant, and had me laughing all the way through. I know that it's been done in all manner of foreign languages, but has it hit the USA?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Of course! I have a complete set of Wallace & Gromit action figures from a big USA fast food chain. Even the Penguin!

3. chrischross

chrischross New Member

One Foot In The Grave

Wallace & Grommit was fairly well know in the US. I caught One Foot In the Grave on the local PBS affiliate and thought it was just about the most hilarious thing I'd ever seen. Unfortunately, they only showed one installment.

Checking both Blackstar and Amazon UK, I noticed that only a "best of" is available on DVD. Am I missing something here?? What a brilliant show, and I hope that it sees DVD release soon.

4. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Watch out for the penguin... that's one evil flightless bird. Richard Wilson, Victor on One Foot in the Grave, nearly ran over my wife in Hampstead. Jeff

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Cracking good toast, Grommit!

Yeah, get the DVD. There's 3 shorts and a making-of as well as production experiments that show just HOW that was made, how it started.

Possibly the 4th ever DVD I've bought. Cannot be missed.

6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I've even attended a Wallace & Grommit film festival held at our local Cinema Arts Centre in Huntington LI.

I've always loved Nick Park's work.

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Also check out CHICKEN RUN and CREATURE COMFORTS if you liked Wallace & Gromit. Good stuff.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Feathers McGraw--brilliant name for that criminal-element penguin!

Love Wallace & Gromit--sadly there don't seem to be any plans for new episodes.:(

Chicken Run is one of those movies I've watched over and over. Whatever Nick Park and his crew cook up next, I'll be there! :thumbsup:

"Mmmm...cracking good toast, Gromit!";)

9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yep - find Creature Comforts - theres a comp available that has it - do a search.

W+G aired here in the states on PBS in the early 90's?? or so.

You gotta love a dog without a mouth - all the emotions are expressed through the eyebrows and ears - brilliant!!!!

(My biggest laugh, for some reason, is in the first one where they go to the moon and they can't figure out why the ship won't launch. The parking Brake!!! :laugh: :laugh:

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

BTW, for those of us in the USA, we have one of those Murphy's law-defying situations where the currently available DVD of the three Wallace & Gromit shorts is the one you want to own. They were released on R1 DVD by Fox in July of 2000, and then re-released by Warner Brothers in September of 2001 when they picked up distrinution of BBC materials. The WB release, called "The Incredible Adventures of Wallace & Gromit" has better extras, and the video transfer is free of edge ringing artifacts which makes it look considerably better on large displays than the Fox release.

As far as I know, there has yet to be a R1 DVD release of "Wallace & Gromit's Cracking Contraptions", which is available in Europe. Perhaps we will get it as a bonus on some future release.

Regards,

11. stereoptic

I've got the Incredible Adventures of W+G, and I think it is excellent. I haven't seen Wallace & Gromit's Cracking Contraptions . Is it a compliation of the three W+G shorts?

12. Ken_McAlinden

It's ten very short films made for the BBC where Wallace demonstrates various inventions. The total running time is less than a half hour, although the DVD has some documentary stuff as well. I have yet to see it, myself. One or two of them may be available to view online through atomfilms.com or the Aaardman web site.

Regards,

13. stereoptic

thanks Ken.

14. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Didnt Nick Parks make some new W and G shorts for downloading off the internet? Will they be released on DVD here? I have the one DVD and it is great. I even have it on videocassette. I didnt really like chicken run though. NOt British enough I guess.

15. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I'm pretty sure one of Nick Park's earliest "adventures" was Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" video!

Got a feeling the US DVD's of Wallace and Gromit had some of the "Yorkshire - isms" toned down so our "cousins" could make more sense of them!

Nobby.

16. blackwiggle

blackwiggle New Member

Nick Parker, plasticne colossus

The funniest stuff Nick Parker has done was the commercials for British Power
    They did the voices first,and then did the claymation.
    You can get All his stuff on region 4 dvds,a bit of a cult following down here.
    Which I suspect might travel well.
    A GRAND DAY OUT is the name of the moon travel one.
    THE WRONG TROUSERS was the one with the penguin.
    A CLOSE SHAVE is the name of the last one.

17. Kidnero

Kidnero New Member

Just love W+G, but doesn't own any original DVD with them. Guess I'll buy it soon, as I do with movies I really like. I do own Chicken Run, and that's a good one too.

They've made it too Sweden too, even if we're in the backwaters of Erope. ;)

18. Ken_McAlinden

I believe those are the same shorts I was talking about w.r.t. Cracking Contraptions. Some of them have been available via the web, but IIRC, they were produced to air during the Christmas season on the BBC. These are not to be confused with the Christmas insterstitials that were produced a few years prior and have previously been available on the Fox DVD.

Regards,

19. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Didnt Nick do a Burger King commercial with some chic reporter and sheep? Or was that a mattress commercial?

20. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I just bought the region 4 PAL version of Cracking Adventures for my family a couple of weeks ago (having had VHS versions taped off the TV and a commercial VHS copy of "The Wrong Trousers" for years). Also bought a copy of the DVD for my sister, who is a big fan.

The DVD is great, and does the animation justice. It's interesting to see how much more accomplished they became as they progressed from "A Grand Day out" to "The Wrong Trousers" to "A Close Shave". Of course, Chicken Run takes the technical aspects almost to another level, although I still prefer the W&G shorts.

That's interesting about the Sledgehammer clip being produced by Nick Park - I always thought that was one of the most amazing video clips ever (along with the clip for Digging in the Dirt)

21. jblock

jblock Senior Member

22. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

According to this website production is starting on the W&G movie
    Wallace and Grommet
    Yay.

23. blackwiggle

blackwiggle New Member

I love the thought of two rats in the "flushed away"synopsis.
    If only Peter Cook and Dudley Moore were alive ,they would of made the best voice overs for those charchters

24. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

There is an article in The Sunday Times today - the title for the next Wallace and gromit film is

Wallace and Gromit and the curse of the Were-Rabbit

There is also going to be a series of 13 10 minute Creature Comfort films shown on TV over here in the autumn. Subjects include two slugs discuss alien morphology, two aliens say they quite like English weather, plankton speculate about the cosmos, a grey hound explains racing strategy and a family of sea anemones concludes that they are not likely to evolve further.

Can't wait for the DVD :thumbsup: Cracking toast Gromit :thumbsup:

Andrew

25. txguitar

txguitar Senior Member

I've got some W & G ,I taped off PBS and Nick talked about doing the
    Sledgehammer clip (how cool)! Nick is a really creative guy. It's good
    to know that other people are hip to him .
    TXGUITAR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.