Enough with the bundled Blu-ray/DVD sets

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BwanaBob, Nov 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident Thread Starter

Come on, it's 2021.
    Why are films still being released as a forced bundle of these two formats together? Are there really so many consumers who have Blu-ray players at home and also who need/want a DVD copy as well for some other purpose?
    Before you claim yes, I need to point out how this odd-coupling is nowhere near as prevalent overseas.
    We're the saps that pay for an extra copy that we don't want or need.

To those who make those decisions: please just stop, and offer them separately.

Rant over.

polchik likes this.
  2. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Having one SKU allows stores to carry twice as many copies. And the inclusion of the outdated dvd costs essentially nothing - less than a buck.

Simon A and Uncle Miles like this.
  3. Ever heard of future-proofing? That’s why we’re now seeing Blu-Ray/4K packages.

EVOLVIST and Spitfire like this.
  4. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident Thread Starter

Costs the studio nothing but you can bet the consumer pays more than an extra buck for the privilege of having an unneeded extra copy.

polchik likes this.
  5. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

I have only a few BD/DVD combo packs, but I think I paid about the same as a standalone BD package. Like I was getting the DVD as a free bonus! :cool:

One time, I was stuck without a BD player but I was still able to watch Serenity thanks to having a combo pack. Sure that kind of situation rarely happens, but it sure was nice on that occasion.:)

Regards,
    Dave

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Grand_Ennui and Dudley Morris like this.
  6. I only finally bought a BluRay player less than a year ago -- and then, only because my DVD player from about 16-18 years ago finally gave out.

I rarely buy movies (like almost never), but I do have a couple dozen concert DVD's -- and it was irksome when (clearly just occasionally) something I wanted was only available as BluRay -- though I realize now it's not an issue.

But clearly I'm not the target audience for this kind of stuff. Those of us perpetually 15-20 years behind in technology never are.

7. Nodrog96

Nodrog96 Forum Resident

Just wait until they bundle vinyl and CDs together.. oh wait, they already do! :realmad:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

I prefer 4K + Blu-ray releases because I don't have a 4K setup yet, but will eventually. I like the idea of not buying the same movie again.

For a while, I was getting Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray releases without having a 3D setup. I guess that's not going to pan out.

DVDs do seem ancient at this point though.

9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I was glad I was able to buy the combo pack for the movie "Hostiles" when all I could find around town was the Blu-Ray (or combo pack), never a standard DVD...

10. runofthemill

runofthemill Forum Resident

Most cars don't have Blu-ray players, but many have DVD players. So, the combo packs are handy in that regard.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  11. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

As said it's cheaper and easier than making two versions of the same title, and in the early days must have helped sales of blu-ray players. It's not as common as it used to be anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.