Entire cast of Days Of Our Lives released from contracts.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, Nov 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

There is such an amazing amount of content on TV these days, it’s surprising to me that the networks continue to show these poorly written, poorly acted, and poorly produced shows. They are pretty awful. I can’t imagine the demographics of the audience are particularly favorable.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

I merely posted the thread out of curiosity for the ruthlessness with which the business is treating the cast and trimming the fat. Can't say I'd shed a tear if soap-operas would go extinct but I find so-called reality TV to be 10x worse.

3. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Check out some of the programming on OWN. Oprah and Tyler Perry have been producing some prime time Soap Operas.

The visuals leave no doubt they are going for the oldschool Soap Opera vibe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I don't watch soap operas but just some General Hospital trivia of note I found interesting when last week I caught an episode and spotted Patrick Stuart who played Elaine's boyfriend, Brett, on Seinfeld who would tell Elaine to be quiet when Eagle's "Desperado" song would play over the radio.

Then I found out that Mr. Stuart played Doctor Zee on Battlestar Galactica 1980 which showed what he looked like as a kid. These producers of these soaps seem to be able to find over the top super handsome people as if they're breeding them in some type of pod.

[​IMG]
    Doctor Zee 1980
    [​IMG]

WEIRD!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

[QUOTE="Spaghettiows, post: 22546620, member: 31911]

Or it might be possible that too many traditional soap opera viewers are quite old and on fixed incomes, and in many cases don't even have cable, broadband or a dish.[/QUOTE]

I think it’s likely that they have a dish, but have never been able to figure out how to work out the remote.

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

LOL! What? You don't want to engage in soap opera talk with me? :laugh:

Yeah, they're terrible, but I so agree that reality TV is (probably) worse. I don't watch any of it nor do I watch soap operas anymore. In fact, I watch nothing on network TV at all anymore except sports.

Dale A B and Strat-Mangler like this.
  7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Soaps are goofy and outdated, but they were a good place for young acting and writing talent to hone their skills or get discovered. They kept a lot of people steadily employed from a technical side as well. With the ongoing content boom, hopefully everyone's going to find work and be fine.

dan c

Bryan Harris likes this.
  8. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Wayne Gretzky?

9. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

closet GH fan exposed :uhhuh:

well, its people parked on the couch at 2pm on a weekday so you know....me! :shrug: sadly i think those Judge (insert name) have overtaken all the ole soaps....or "my stories" as we used to say

MarkTheShark likes this.
  10. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Since I never turn the TV on during the day other to watch a movie or one of the three TV shows I do have on DVD, I honestly never knew there were any soap opera still running.

The only time it's turned on in general unless I'm watching the above is when my wife gets home from work. I don't really watch TV as a rule anymore.

11. Tim Lookingbill

That reminds me that now that I'm 60 I'm wondering when I should start talking and sounding like Gabby Hayes..."Say what's that ya' say ya' young wippersnapper?...Gimmee back my clicker!"

MarkTheShark and Bluesman Mark like this.
  12. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I watched in college during the 70s. Salem had a strangler on the loose. That was the first time I knew Marlena had a twin sister.

13. Tim Lookingbill

At the age of nine or thereabouts I was keeping up with the Whitney familly on Secret Storm in the late '60's.

Was anticipating the episode where one of the sons who looked like a hippy werewolf from all the body hair was going to jump off the cliff or a stone tower lighthouse built on a cliff as an act of suicide. But my interest in this particular soap opera, a genre I didn't usually watch was really to appease my mom to keep her from turning the channel after Secret Storm ended so I could watch Dark Shadows which I often had to plead and beg my mom to let me watch.

14. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Dr. Drake Ramoray??

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The actress, Deidre Hall, really does have a twin sister.

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Huh?

No, but I have a good memory. I’ve honestly never watched five minutes of “General Hospital”.

I have watched “Days of Our Lives”, “The Young and the Restless” and, once upon a time, “Another World”.

17. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I grew up watching Another World and then Days of Our Lives later on, thanks to my mom being a big fan of both. I remember a lot of the storylines of Another World from the later 80's and 90's (my older brother correctly guessed the name of the serial killer in the later 80's - Dr. Glasier, LOL - long before he was on anyone's radar). The acting is more often than not laughably mediocre, which is why very few go on to do anything else significant, and the ones who do never go back to soap operas because, well, why would you? LOL The actor who played/plays John Black on Days of Our Lives might be the worst actor I've ever seen.

18. Bryan Harris

Bryan Harris Hipster Doofus

Plus, in the heyday of soaps from the '60s to the '80s, they offered involving serial storytelling that distinguished them from all the one-and-done cop and lawyer shows. Modern dramas have eliminated that niche by adapting to more serialized stories while offering better acting, directing, and production values. Why watch General Hospital when you can watch Gray's Anatomy?

19. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

She got strangled. We all thought it was Marlena. A guy down the hall called NBC and yelled at whoever answered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.