Entry-level audiophile turntable- Rega or Orbit?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by merzbau, Jun 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Just tried it.
    You weren't kidding.
    However, having played this off against a Technics SL1200 I can't say that the response was significantly different, other than the colouration of the cartridge and slightly snappier bass.
    I'm tempted to re-borrow that deck and try again with the above in mind.

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

At home auditions are the way to go.
    And you may like it. I have enjoyed mine for many years.
    And what you use to test with is of great import.
    One of my tests was with a title that many have. BTO's Not Fragile.
    I used a Kendun cut, but even the later Kong cut would work. Just an inexpensive choice that came to mind.

raye_penber likes this.
  3. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Couple of weeks back I visited an old friend of a friend, and we sat down amongst his 'stacks' (this guy has quite the archive), drank scotch, and listened to his
    VPI Prime Signature with Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cart through a Marantz 2230B.
    That really did sound special.
    I'm sorely tempted, but alas I have a house to buy this summer without a mortgage, and would likely be murdered if £5k worth of audio equipment arrived on the mat tomorrow.

SpeedMorris, MCM_Fan and Slick Willie like this.
  4. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

I have very little experience of the latest Pro-Ject Carbon EVO, but comments from those who have heard them and a very good dealer who stocks turntables such as Technics SL-1200G and SL-1000R and SME have commented how good current models are.

I haven't bought a Hi-Fi rag for decades, but wasting time in a newsagents, I have read that Pro-Ject are matching / outperforming Rega and there are plenty of people who have bought Pro-Ject in comparison with for example, Technics.

There are many good turntables available, people really need to listen for themselves.

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I find that the Czech factory where Music Hall and Pro-Ject tables are made can produce models that are competitive with Rega at various price points, but I don't consider them to be as desirable overall. Part of what makes a product have good performance isn't just what it can do out of the box, but how consistently and how long it can do it. I find Rega products to have better design for durability and in general fit, parts selection, etc. Ergonomics is important too, so how the user interface is, how it feels to operate. Too many corners cut with many lesser products. I don't see buying a new turntable much differently from buying a new car. Yeah, you want it to perform well, but you also would hope to have it last ten years or so as well.
    -Bill

AKA-Chuck G, bhazen and McLover like this.
  6. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Pro-ject debut carbon esprit sb.
    7 years and counting.
    No problems.

Technocentral likes this.
  7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That's good. I have repaired two higher end units this year already. I sell Music Hall as well as Rega and have had 20 years doing so to compare models from each company, as well as the Pro-Ject, which are made in the same Czech factory and use many same or similar parts.
    -Bill

raye_penber likes this.
  8. raye_penber

raye_penber .

I may be an anomaly. An upgrade is around the corner, but so far the pro-ject has held its own.

Randoms and Technocentral like this.
  9. Randoms

I haven’t asked dealer friends about the durability of Pro-Ject and as an ex- Rega dealer (and on two occasions end user) I have massive respect for Rega's build quality, reliability and customer support. During the eight eighties and nineties, I can honestly say that they were a joy to deal with and there were also several extremely well-reviewed products that from experience I wouldn't either stock, or buy myself.

Because of that and the big sonic improvements they have made to their products, I still recommend Rega to my friends - I always suggest they listen and get hands on for themself. Although I know that I could live happily with a Planar 3 / Planar 6 and despite back in the day the Technics 1200 Mk II not moving me, the GR and especially G are very good.

Even 25-30 years ago I estimate that around 20% of turntables offered for part-exchange performed below par, which I only put forward to help @merzbau make a considered opinion - my preferences are totally irrelevant to the thread starter.

Edit. I do honestly believe that if some of the Rega distractors (and boy, for whatever reasons some seem to go to great effort to discourage people from even listening to one...) were to hear a current Planar 2 blind, they would be far more impressed than they would dare to admit to. Some products have evolved very well in recent years.....

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  10. audiolistener

audiolistener i like vinyl and cds

seriously, the turntable job is just to spin the record... its crazy

11. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Rega upgrades get a lot of comments (both positive and negative) in this forum, but there is little discussion of Technics upgrades. Both lines have undergone improvements in recent years, but for those on a tight budget, an older model, of either brand, on the used market, combined with upgrades, may be a good, economical choice for some. The base table can be bought now and the upgrades added over time as funds become available. For example, a used Technics followed by upgrades (such as the KAB fluid damper) could be one possible path.

I really have no horse in this race, as I don't currently own either a Rega or a Technics (or an Orbit or a Pro-ject). I have owned, or auditioned all but the Orbit, and honestly I could have lived with any of them but ultimately, for me, I got a couple great deals on used tables that offered far more bang for the buck than buying any of the above new. It took me about three and a half years to get to the point where I am completely happy with my two turntable setup (that also includes the cartridges and phono stages), and I went through several tables/cartridges along the way.

It was a great learning experience for me, and I sold every one of the intermediate tables for more than I paid for them. I am a notorious "value conscious" shopper (aka: cheapskate), especially when it comes to my hobbies. I enjoy doing the research, searching for "scores", servicing and repairing things and then passing along what I don't keep to fund future purchases. I get that that's not for everyone, and my personal experiences tend to bias my recommendations.

At the very least, I hope the OP has learned something in this thread and feels better prepared to buy a table that will enhance his listening experience and bring him as much joy as I get out of my great sounding (to me) value conscious (by forum standards) system.

ranch 22b, merzbau and Randoms like this.
  12. Randoms

If only it was that simple, the smallest of things that can give a big improvement... It's crazy!

MCM_Fan likes this.
  13. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I think the turntable has 3 jobs-

1.) Spin the LP's at the correct speed and without added interference or noise.
    2.) Accurately trace the grooves on the LP via the tonearm and associated parts.
    3.) Transmit the signal out of the turntable accurately to be received by a RIAA phono amplifier.

How you do these three things best is what we are always discussing.

14. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Ye olde 1.2: 23 years. I did hear a little friction at one point. I found a can of 3-in-1 oil, closed my eyes and put a couple of drops around the base of the spindle. Silencio. Had to get a new belt (2 actually, as the one from lp gear didn't work.)

Sometimes I'll indulge a bit of lust for an X1 or the forthcoming new Technics 100C, but the Grado Red has plenty of hours left and the I don't suffer from the various horrors I read about on the ol' SHF. And if you come to my house and tell me you hear "smearing of transients", your attention will will be directed to the "No Twits Allowed" sign.

I am intrigued by a Darlington MM-5 or 6, however.

Stone Turntable and raye_penber like this.
  15. VapourTrailUS

VapourTrailUS Internet “Person”

lmao

16. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

:righton: Sledgehammer!

Slick Willie likes this.
  17. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

The Technics SL1200 MK7, or the newer SL100 C would be my suggestion. Even if they are slightly more than you wish to spend.

McLover likes this.
  18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

While Rega is not my main turntable. I must comment on the fact that The Sound Organization has been a superb representative, agent, and USA importer. They're helpful and friendly. I miss Steve Lauerman and Lauerman Imports, the original USA Rega importer, then a short drive away.

19. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I’ve just ordered a U-Turn Orbit Custom turntable with the walnut plinth, acrylic platter, and cue lever. I've been yearning to teach myself how to install phono carts and will attempt to do so starting with an Audio-Technica AT-VM95E, and also want to have a second turntable for casual, moveable spinning beyond my listening room.

This purchase comes after finishing a fairly slow, long-running project of upgrading my venerable Rega Planar 3 set-up, installing the motor upgrade kit, a Groovetracer Reference subplatter, a Darlington Labs MM-6 phono pre-amp, and a new SoundSmith Carmen cartridge installed and calibrated by my local dealer/tech guy. I'm extremely happy with the way it all sounds. I'll be re-purposing my old Musical Fidelity pre-amp to use with the new U-Turn table.

By and large this thread seems to have given the Orbit side of the OP's original question the brush-off, even though there have been a smattering of positive comments about the U-Turn option. But the gist of the thread leans toward a hard push to consider buying vintage/used (not interested, for various reasons) and/or Technics along with a hard push to just spend more money (already done that). Now I'm going to have a chance to find out whether or not this general negativity and semi-dismissiveness toward Orbit has been fair or not. I've recently read a lot of enthusiastic takes on the amazing value you get with even the low-end Audio-Technica cartridges, and I'm curious how much the U-Turn can also deliver in the face of spendy audiophile skepticism. Will report back later.

Part of what pushed me to buy a U-Turn turntable is warm feelings toward toward the company's plucky Kickstarter origins and Schiit-like made-in-America roots and stick-to-itiveness. I remember reading Fremer's enthusiastic review back in 2014, and I'm impressed that U-Turn has subsequently addressed several of his initial criticisms — especially aspects of the tonearm bearing design, counterweight, anti-skating, and set-up geometry, all of which have been updated.

And partly I'm attracted by a sheer shallow lustful love of the Orbit's good looks. This completely air-headed Andrew Robinson advertorial video he did for U-Turn definitely helped sway me:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    hifisoup, raye_penber and Nathan Z like this.
  20. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

If you really want to get into cartridge alignment, do yourself a favour and get a mirrored protractor one day. It's important to eliminate parallax error.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  21. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

I wouldn’t touch Rega - low quality for the price up and down the range

22. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

I've heard the lower end Regas and find they struggle with speed stability. It doesn't become acceptable until you have the speed box in my opinion, but the base Planar 3 might be passable. Other than that though, what's wrong with Rega turntables?

23. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I’m forced to touch my Rega when cueing up a record and taking the record off, but it’s true that I don’t touch it when it’s playing. And when it’s playing and I’m not touching it, it sounds pretty sweet.

:love:

24. Randoms

25. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Which models have you tried?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.