SH Spotlight EQ SUGGESTIONS FROM SH to help the sound of Canada Beatles "HELP" - "RUBBER SOUL" CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raf

Raf Senior Member

So I guess they were after something like the opposite of magic when they did the transfer of Revolver for the CD. ;)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Raul,

The EXACT opposite of magic, yes.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Wouldn't that be, say, "1"?

4. Raf

Raf Senior Member

The Revolver CD, unfortunately, was one of my earliest attempts at re-EQing something that just didn't sound right. And I just couldn't get it to sound much better. At first I blamed it on me f***ing up the EQ (and I may have been to some extent), but years later I realized the real explanation: it's simply the worst transfer jobs of all the official Beatles CDs (IMO).

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Even more surprising to me was when I read the interview with Mike Jarrett where he mentions playing the tapes back on an old valve deck, but preferred the sound he got using a modern deck (don't know what it was). I don't remember if the old deck he tried was a C37 or not though. Either way, I don't know what he was listening for... :sigh:

6. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Had a fiddle with Rubber Soul this afty- definitely needs that right channel raising (Did it in Audition, not sure if I got the Q length right). Before and after comparison is revealing!

7. mikef098

mikef098 Forum Resident

Do you think these same EQ tweaks would improve the sound of a BC-13 Rubber Soul needle drop?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.