Erased band members?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghost of Ziggy, Sep 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Both ABKCO and post-Brian Jones Rolling Stones Records are under the Universal Music Group (UMG) umbrella (for better or worse). Today's Stones both make money and control, to a certain extent, ABKCO and Rolling Stones Records. For example, The Rolling Stones recently returned song rights (and, therefore, future royalties) to The Verve for the latter's use of the Stone's ABKCO-era "The Last Time" in The Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony."

I suspect if Sir Mick and Keef wanted to pull a Trotsky on Brian Jones, they could. But they don't and I suspect that's because anyone purchasing early Stones wants their Brian Jones in all his wasted, mop-headed, virtuoso elegance.

2. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

About 50 ex members of The Fall!

3. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Pink Floyd. At one point in '76 during the Animals album recording sessions Roger Waters accidentally(?) erased the guitar solo tracks from "Dogs" which forced Dave to redo them, further straining the already tenuous relationship between the two at that time.

4. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

According To The Rolling Stones was based on new and fresh interviews with the band from 2002. So the books premise wouldn’t have made sense with quotes from old band members.

The films ‘Crossfire Hurricane’ and ‘Stones In Exile’ both had Wyman and Taylor interviewed equally with Jagger, Richards, Watts and Wood, so they aren’t trying to erase anything. ‘CH’ had interview segments with Jones as well, so your arguement doesn’t hold up.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Really? Do you know where you heard that?

Be curious to know more about it!

Zack likes this.
  6. If you’re referring to Pete and his head being replaced by Ringo, Pete is still visible In the image on the left.

7. Yeah I don’t see that the Stones have tried to erase Brian.

8. zen

zen Senior Member

Moodies erasing Moraz. So un-cool. :thumbsdow The spirit of the 60's is dead, in their camp.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  9. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Tbf, I wonder how many usable interviews exist with Brian Jones. Was he ever interviewed extensively, beyond the kind of more abbreviated chats you got in the pop press of the 60s? Not to mention that any interviews he did do would have referred to everything in the present tense rather than being reflective like the others. Meanwhile Lennon was interviewed about the Beatles in great depth many times between 1970 and 1980.

At the other extreme Wyman is not only still alive but has written multiple retrospective Stones books. No excuse to leave him out.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Nothing at all in questionable taste about comparing the shifting presentation of contributions by past band members over the decades to the figurative and literal liquidation and imprisonment of millions by a mass murderer.

11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

doug yule wasn't invited to vu's hof and he played on half of their albums
    randy meisner kind of got lost in the shuffle from the eagles....and he played on all but 1....of the original stuff

phillyal1, adad, limoges and 3 others like this.
  12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Neither have I. Of all that I’ve seen and read on the subject, these other guys bore no ill will towards him. I think @Son of Ziggy is reading too much into things or his imagination running wild.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  13. LennonCobain

LennonCobain Forum Resident

Pearl Jam has tried to pretend that original drummer Dave Abbruzzese never existed.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  14. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

They haven’t.
    It’s just that Jones-fans are butt-hurt over the fact that they don’t praise him night and day. Jones was only a member for 7 years out of a carrer lasting 57(!) and counting...

15. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

The cover of Traffic’s When The Eagle Flies is based on a 1974 Island Records publicity photo that included recently-fired Rebop Kwaku Baah to the left of Jim Capaldi.

[​IMG]

(Someone posted the original photo on this forum a couple of years ago, but the image is no longer available.)

16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The Grateful Dead pretty much erase (or never mention) Vince Welnick as much as they can.............only do when releasing a concert from the 90s.

17. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Yngwie Malmsteen was so upset over bassist Marcel Jacobs releasing the band's early demo tapes that he released them himself (The Genesis) after first erasing and re-recording all of Marcel's bass tracks. It's basically all Yngwie except for Zepp Urgard's drum tracks.

coffeetime likes this.
  18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

He's not on the album, is he?

19. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

never seen one once
    too soon?

20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

For some of us, the murder of Brian Jones by Smersh agents feels like only yesterday, man.

21. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

This, exactly. I don't say a lot of nice things about Gene Simmons, but the fact that he (and Paul) put up with Ace and Peter's shenanigans for as long as he did was a borderline act of charity.

22. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not sure. I have listened to a radio interview from 1968, right at the time he was being marginalised by Mick & Keith. Despite that, I was amazed he was singing their praises and seemed extremely articulate and insightful, as if nothing was wrong.

Lost In The Flood and ajsmith like this.
  23. Spotmaticfanatic

Spotmaticfanatic Lost my shape, trying to act casual.

But isn't that Pete Best in the lower left corner with George Harrison? Surely, no one but him would expect to be treated as much more than a footnote in their history.

Sean and johnnybrum like this.
  24. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

If they'd meant the horse to represent Crosby, they would have turned the horse around.

25. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

"We're All Alright! (Except For Bun E. Carlos)" should have been the title of this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The cropped "Meet Cheap Trick" ad (above) shows what lengths they went...

[​IMG]

They really lost me with this album, by doing this. (oh and Daxx is co-credited as writing Radio Lover, which was originally an outtake from 1997!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.