Erased band members?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghost of Ziggy, Sep 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

John French (aka Drumbo) from Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band.

After spending 8 months arranging the music from short bursts of piano playing from Beefheart, then meticulously rehearsing the band, he was kicked out of the band by Beefheart shortly before "Trout Mask Replica" was released. Given no credit (even for playing drums), he was relegated to a band photo on the back cover where he crouched under a bridge, away from the band.

He would later rejoin the band (twice), but left of his own accord both times. It took 30 years before he was acknowledged for the work he did on TMR, and the whole myth of Beefheart "writing the album in one 8 hour session" still persists. The truth is it was recorded in one session because of how tightly rehearsed the band was.

2. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I think Mark simply gets forgotten due to his short time in the band (one album, 2 live shows)

Vinnie??? If only they could erase Vinnie.......although he did erase himself for quite some time, and is doing a great job and sending himself back there again.

3. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

Also a good thing Moraz is standing where he is and not the middle- gosh I wonder if that was even subconsciously deliberate :nyah:

squittolo likes this.
  4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

He wasn't their original drummer, he was their second. Dave Krusen played on Ten and Abbruzzese played on Vs. and Vitalogy.

Old Rusty, davers and funknik like this.
  5. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

So Jones should have badmouthed the band he was in? Sure that would have improved things a lot...

When he ‘sang their praises’ it was most likely because he didn’t find things as terribly wrong as people has claimed afterwards.
    The many myth’s of Jones’ are spun by those fans insisting that he was an underdog.
    He probably didn’t saw it that way.

Brian Resource and Bluesman Mark like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Dallas Taylor from the back cover of the CSN debut in some CDs.

7. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I guess I don't get why Bun should be pictured or credited on an album where he doesn't perform.

8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I believe that McGuinn made a similar quip when asked about it!

Sean, pocofan and Zoot Marimba like this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Why was I slow in getting that?! :)

D.B., Colocally, Spot778 and 4 others like this.
  10. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

That's no excuse for the deliberate crop outs, Robin ;)

Lost In The Flood and intv7 like this.
  11. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Exactly. One of my favourite musician quotes ever.

Lost In The Flood and Man at C&A like this.
  12. Was he even inducted? I didn’t think he was so, while it would have been nice, as I recall Cale pretends that era didn’t exist.

13. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

What about the two short-termers who replaced Perry and Whitford in Aerosmith?

MikeInFla and AlienRendel like this.
  14. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

And let's not forget that, even worse, the Moodies cut Mike Pinder out of photos when Moraz came in. That - and the absolutely dreadful concert I saw by them at the time - put me off them for a couple of decades.

15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

They got to be on a live album, and Dufay even got credited/pictured on a studio album he doesn't play on.

AlienRendel likes this.
  16. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Not sure but it reminds me that the solos on Train Kept 'A-Rollin were played by session guitarists Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner. Apparently producer Jack Douglas was not happy with Perry and Whitford's solos so he erased and replaced them with solos by Hunter and Wagner.

Crimson Witch and AlienRendel like this.
  17. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

paulbright81 likes this.
  18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

When Zappa turned bootleg recordings of pre "owner/employee" Mothers Of Invention, into a personal cash stream, those tributaries failed to flow to legitimate "band members", quite souring this moment of vindication and "justice". This ended up turning a lot of "Mother" products into "Zappa" products, and years of money flowing quite smoothly into legal fees on the behalf of the Zappas, to protect from the interests of former Mothers.

No clearer "airbrushing", then when the wrong name shows up on the checks.

limoges and drad dog like this.
  19. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Dave Mason on cover of US Mr. Fantasy.

reb likes this.
  20. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Scottish pop-soul band Wet Wet Wet used to have a member who they never featured in promo pics or albums. Can't remember his name but he was the guitarist. He was full time player in the band, but was slightly older, and they were accused of leaving him out a la the Stones with Ian Stewart. In reality he had a stutter and preferred to stay away from promo-type activities. Can't blame him.

21. Graeme Duffin Graeme Duffin - Wikipedia

22. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

He's apparently on the two side closers: Graveyard People and When the Eagle Flies. Uncredited.

groundharp likes this.
  23. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Ouch.

24. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

“Play that electric piano, guy out of camera range!!”:D[​IMG]

25. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Are you the one, who keeps posting that he should have a share in the group?

News flash: he's not a member. His status is the more less the same as Chuck Leavell, and he's musical director!

Bluesman Mark, DavidD and mbrownp1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.