Erased band members?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghost of Ziggy, Sep 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Seeing as Tony McCarroll founded the band, The Rain before he recruited Liam and eventually Noel. It's almost funny how Tony's been totally erased from Oasis history.
    Though they do 'bury' him in the video for Live Forever... So there is that...

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  2. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I didn't mean to upset you or anyone else. I apologize for doing so.

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Now that you mention it his playing is pretty hard to miss there, even though they mixed him very low.

NumberEight likes this.
  4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I held one on my hand at The House Of Oldies in March, 1968. Also first time I ever saw a Butcher cover.

Oh, yeah, and kinda on topic: Larry Lee.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  5. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

In addition to the (perhaps deserved) snubbing of Patrick Moraz, the Moody Blues have pretty much marginalized their first two bass players as well. Clint Warwick attended their concert at the Royal Albert Hall in 2000, and was avoided by Graeme Edge and Ray Thomas (although Justin Hayward and John Lodge were friendly to him). He was also the only member of the original lineup not included in their induction into the RRHOF. Clint had already passed on by then.

Warwick left the band in the summer of 1966, prior to Denny Laine's departure, and was replaced by Rod Clark. Clark was in the band for a few months, did some recordings with the Laine lineup, and even performed on German TV (Beat Club). The footage to that appearance still exists. But he has pretty much been scrubbed from the history of the band.

Blimpboy likes this.
  6. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

One thing I noticed about that self titled album is that Michelle is on the front but I kept thinking that the girl on the back cover definitely doesn’t look like her. Might it be Gibson on the b/w picture on the back? Mine is the vinyl album

funknik likes this.
  7. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Probably one of the most famous quotes in rock history:D

pocofan likes this.
  8. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

He isn’t a member. He’s an employee.

9. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Not a big fan of Rush. Did watch one of the shows about the history of the band. He was not excluded at all in that

10. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Definitely, and Geddy and Alex have always spoken well of him and there were no hard feelings between them.

sound chaser, DavidD and TMegginson like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

First bass player in the Hollies.

Guitar player and singer in the Searchers.

And so on..

guitarman1969 and Sean like this.
  12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Mark didn’t record with them, did he? Plus, he was a rather bizarre choice (‘Alan Holdsworth is the new Kiss guitarist’).

13. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

He was on Animalize

Sean and Siegmund like this.
  14. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah but Criss & Ace have two guys impersonating them. for 20 years, stealing their image and stage moves, that’s the problem many fans can’t get passed.

15. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Stuart's in the top right, too.

But the point is, the picture in the centre, the one that your eyes are drawn to, has Pete torn out.

16. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

yeah but the two guys "impersonating" them actually turn up, actually put in the hard work, actually appreciate what being in KISS represents, honour the position and honour the legacy.

Oh...and the other two sold their images....that's the level of respect they had for them in the first place.

17. Spotmaticfanatic

Spotmaticfanatic Lost my shape, trying to act casual.

I guess it's up to the OP todecide what the criteria is, but there are lots of people who've been in bands for relatively short periods of time, and have had no real bearing on the evolution of the band. I understand why people don't necessarily acknowledge them. After all, would you expect a band like the Beach Boys to list every two bit session musician who has passed through their ranks, even if some have toured with them as salaried musicians for years?

bloodlemons likes this.
  18. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

Brian Jones- he founded the Rolling Stones.

Keith Richards always tries to downplay his role. Bill Wyman has always been honest about how the band came to be. but Keith always digs at Brian when given the chance.

i love keef but damn he needs to drop that ****.

19. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

At the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony, Debbie Harry of Blondie “erased” certain former members (Frank Infante, Gary Valentine and Nigel Harrison). They started yelling at each other onstage, and then Debbie declared “her band” will be performing without them!

Daniel Khan, danielbravo and blehman like this.
  20. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

When was the last time Keef was quoted digging at Brian?

21. Zack

Zack Senior Member

To quote David St. Hubbins, I believe virtually everything I read. Sorry I can't cite the reference but I didn't dream it. If I had to guess, he didn't want the band profiting from his image. Don't know or not if he gets a piece on sales of compilations after he left that feature his playing.

22. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don’t know but there’s clips all over YouTube where he’s dissing Brian.

23. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Meh. If I had a dime for every time...

Strat-Mangler and Zack like this.
  24. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

2015-

Keith Richards Blasts Bill Wyman
    (Bold is the context, italics is Keith's response)

'Clash spoke with Bill around the time of its release, and it appears that what he had to say has ruffled the feathers once again of his former allies.

When our conversation turned to his thoughts on the treatment of Brian Jones, Wyman went on to comment on Mick and Keith’s apparent appropriation of his role as founder of the group. “Do you know that in Dartford Railway Station where [Mick and Keith] met, they’ve just put up a plaque now saying they created The Rolling Stones, which is totally out of order,” Bill told us. “Brian Jones created The Rolling Stones, not Mick and Keith. They were invited into his band at later times,’ and they completely ignore it, because they want the accolade for Dartford.”

“But it’s so wrong,” he continued, “and I hate stuff like that, where people try to rewrite history for themselves. It’s so wrong. I was thinking of getting a couple of heavies and going down there and just ripping it off, and getting back on the train back to London.”

According to a new interview with Keith Richards for the latest issue of Esquire, ahead of the release of his new solo album, ‘Crosseyed Heart’, word on Bill’s thoughts has reached the Stones camp, and they’re none too happy.

“Mick just the other day came up to me and says, "Do you believe this ****, man? Bill Wyman is complaining about the plaque at Dartford station." I said, "A plaque? I thought we had a statue,” Keith told the magazine’s Scott Raab.

“I know [Bill] took umbrage with that, but I can't understand why,” he goes on. “Bill wasn't there when the band was formed. Ian Stewart formed the band—we gravitated around him. Bill was a quirky, funny old ****er, but why he should make some Kind of public 'do about it. . . . I think Mick sent a note saying—because Bill comes from a town called Penge—"Bill, if a plaque went up in Penge station that said you were the founding member of the Rolling Stones, do you think we'd complain?" But Bill—oh, we love him dearly, and he was a hell of a bass player. We didn't tell him to leave.”

25. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

So anyway. Nothing recent at all. The word that was used by the person you are apparently speaking for here was “always”. Does not apply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.