Erased Tapes Records (Nils Frahm etc)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wild Frank, Jan 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident Thread Starter

I couldn’t find another thread on this so…

..Are there any fans of the Erased Tapes label out there? They’ve been putting out consistently excellent albums for a decade with a beautiful overall aesthetic. I’m really looking forward to the new Nils Frahm album this Friday but the Label is home, amongst others, to artists such as:

· A Winged Victory for the Sullen

· Ólafur Arnalds

· Ben Lukas Boysen

· Peter Broderick

· Nils Frahm

· Kiasmos

· Lubomyr Melnyk

· Rival Consoles

· Penguin Cafe

Anyone interested in discussing the above artists and the label. The recent Penguin Café release was one of my favorites from 2017.

2. Blackcountryrock

Blackcountryrock New Member

Wild Frank likes this.
  3. Wild Frank

Thanks for that. Great reading. Enjoy the show on Wednesday.

ultron9 likes this.
  4. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Anyone pick up the record store day 10 year compilation "1+1=X" boxset? This 3LP set been reissued on black vinyl (less lavish than the box set) and should be arriving on my door step any day (cant wait!). Its also available to stream on Spotify, Apple, etc and is incredible. Give it a listen.

1+1=X by Erased Tapes - Releases - Erased Tapes

ultron9 likes this.
  5. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

Big fan of many of the Erased Tapes artists, especially Nils Frahm, Olafur Arnalds and WVFTS. The new Arnalds - Re:member - is wonderful. A few months back I started a thread about some of my favorite electroacoustic recordings, including some of these and others - Johann Johannsson, Max Richter, etc, but it died on the vine. Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in this kind of music here, but I love Erased Tapes! Neo-classical, electroacoustic, post-ambient, or make up your own name.....

ultron9, fitzrik, vapor minor and 2 others like this.
  6. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I like a lot of releases on Erased Tapes, beautifully presented and always get the option of WAV downloads on the downlod codes which is great.

ultron9 and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

How is their vinyl?

8. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

Erased Tapes has been one of my favorite labels this year with great records from Rival Consoles, Michael Price, and Lubomyr Melnyk, and I'm pretty sure I'll be getting around to some of the others too. Especially love the 2-LP clear vinyl set of Rival Consoles Persona. The site a closer listen just named it the best label of the year ... ACL 2018 ~ The Year’s Best Labels

ultron9 and jusbe like this.
  9. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Also a fan, particularly of Nils Frahm. His concerts are even better than the recordings, with a real sense of theatre around the use of his unusual pianos, contraptions and keyboards.

ultron9 likes this.
  10. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Love them all. off to see awvfts this month

ultron9 and Wild Frank like this.
  11. Wild Frank

Enjoy the awv show. I caught the Penguin Cafe recently where they played their new album in it’s entirety. A great show.

It's Felix and ultron9 like this.
  12. Interested, just not sure who to check out. Who is the most adventurous or avant garde artist they have?

vapor minor likes this.
  13. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

FYI, Deutsche Grammophon has also been getting more involved with neoclassical artists these days. The signed Johann Johannsson before he passed and last year release a great retrospective of his earlier works. And they just did a showcase in LA a couple of weeks ago to highlight the music of Joep Beving, Peter Gregson, Jóhann Jóhannsson, Agnes Obel, Dustin O’Halloran, Max Richter, and Hildur Guðnadóttir. (The Gregson Bach Recomposed is wonderful!).
    I just picked up this compilation release, Project XII, that is only out in vinyl afaik, and it contains some nice tracks by Rachel Grimes (from one of my all-time favorite defunct bands, Rachel's), Dmitry Evgrafov, Stefano Guzzetti and others.

Maurice and zphage like this.
  14. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

ultron9, Maurice, Wild Frank and 2 others like this.
  15. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

I just got Rival Consoles "Persona" on two disk vinyl...wonderful recording and presentation...dead silent vinyl, bettering most of the "audiophile" pressings I've heard...well worth seeking out. I'm ordering other titles via the Erased Tapes Bandcamp site.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  16. HelioS

HelioS Active Member

I stumbled over Nils Frahm's music on Youtube, then bought it on Bandcamp and discovered that I liked a lot of the Erased Tapes stuff. Has anyone compared their CD versus vinyl?
    Would expect both to sound equally well, in which case I would probably get CDs...

ultron9 likes this.
  17. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

Love that album so much, been playing on repeat today, especially side C, one of my favorite vinyl sides, could soundtrack an entire weekend.

Wild Frank likes this.
  18. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I loved erased tap3, but got a bit bored recently of them. Any recommendations? Living room songs is my fav. Release.

19. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Big fan of Erased Tapes ... especially AWVFTS, Ólafur Arnalds and Rival Consoles.

I like most of Nils Frahms' albums, although there was one with excessive noise of the piano's internal mechanics that irritated me too much. Note that some of his albums can be download for nowt at his personal website: Screws, Solo, Solo Remains.

--Geoff

It's Felix and ultron9 like this.
  20. Wild Frank

The new Nils Frahm live album is stunning. This is the track 'Fundamental Values'. There is also a full concert video which is currently on Mubi.

Maurice, It's Felix and ultron9 like this.
  21. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

It's in my top 5 of the label releases I've heard and is on regular rotation for me as well.

It's Felix likes this.
  22. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

23. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I saw him live in 2019 and it was a mesmerizing show. Highly recommended!

Wild Frank likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.