Eric Bloom of Blue Öyster Cult

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GoodKitty, Dec 1, 2021.

1. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM Thread Starter

☆ today, Dec.1, is his 77th birthday. :cheers:

I am a recent BÖC enthusiast but still don't know a whole lot ......

Let's talk about Eric and what he has meant to the band over the decades.

He and Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser have kept the band going to this day, and that's a looong time.

here is some early history from wikipedia:

In 1968 Bloom moved to Plainview, Long Island NY to live with his sister. He obtained a job at Sam Ash Music in Hempstead, selling music equipment. One day in late 1968 some members of the band Soft White Underbelly - Donald Roeser, Allen Lanier and Andrew Winters - entered the store. One of them spotted a photo that Bloom had put up as a joke — he had placed an 8x10 glossy of his old band Lost and Found up on the wall with all the major bands such as the Rolling Stones and The Who. One of the SWU members recognized it because Les Braunstein, their lead singer, had also been a Hobart College alumnus, and had told his bandmates about the other college band. As Bloom talked with them about the photo, they struck up a friendship. Bloom ended up doing some sound engineering for them at the Electric Circus in Greenwich Village, and they mutually impressed each other enough that in November 1968, the band's manager Sandy Pearlman asked if Bloom would like to become their tour manager. Bloom moved into the group's house in Great Neck NY in December 1968. In April 1969, when lead singer Braunstein dropped out of the group, Bloom became the band's vocalist. The band went through several name changes and in 1971 settled on Blue Öyster Cult.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is Eric Bloom of Blue Oyster Cult related to Howard Stern?
    (the answer is that he used to be married to Howard's cousin)

Eric Bloom talks Blue Oyster Cult's studio albums

poll: Blue Öyster Cult's best post-1981 album ?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  2. Eric and his stun guitar.:)

Joti Cover, County50, Larry L and 5 others like this.
  3. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

You beat me to the punch.
    Oyster Boys are swimming now
    Hear them chatter on the tide
    We understand, we understand
    But fear is read and so do I
    So ladies fish and gentlemen
    Here's my angled dream
    See me in my blue sky bag
    And meet me by the sea

4. Stillin Rockville

Stillin Rockville "it's not the band, it's the fans"

I can't recall coming across photos of Eric where you could see his eyes. It seems somehow wrong ( and there should be a sunglassed and snarling emoji to illustrate how he usually looks). He always puts the hard edge on the BOC vocal sound.

5. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Eric was the cool one. That's the way I always saw it.

6. RonChrysler

RonChrysler Forum Resident

As a long time BÖC fan, I'm more annoyed than amused at the 'cowbell' SNL sketch. It's a little below the belt. They're taking advantage of BÖC not being in the public consciousness as household names. They're obviously basing it on a simple band photo, and Ferrell's Gene Schenkle character is loosely based on what Eric looked like, except that Eric didn't have that ridiculous gut. Would they do that with any other band where the member names are more commonly known or revered? No, but let's turn this awesome band into a big joke and make it seem lame to be a fan of them. I know the band has embraced it to a degree, but I thought it was a cheap laugh at the expense of some really talented people.

Happy Birthday E.Bloom! Keep on Rockin!

7. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

That is one way to look at it, and there is probably some merit to it, but I think that skit has helped Don't Fear the Reaper stay in the mainstream as a major classic. A lot of classic rock tunes from the 70s have kind of fallen by the wayside in the 21st century as far as younger people knowing them, but Don't Fear the Reaper is holding its ground. If it took an SNL skit for it to happen, so be it. :)

8. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

He's a great singer and a very effective contrast vocally to Buck.

9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

He's the great sun jester.

10. Stillin Rockville

Stillin Rockville "it's not the band, it's the fans"

To tie this loosely to the current thread that never sinks far from the top of the list:

Eric sings it like he wrote it. And, in the intro, Buck's speaking voice is uncannily like Dick Smothers.

11. 905

905 Senior Member

I became big fan in the '90s, and have listened to BOC regularly ever since. I love his vocals...
    "He's found the saucer news"

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I've always found Eric to be the most striking presence in BOC. He looks tough, cool and mysterious. I prefer his singing voice to Buck's. Happy B'Day, Eric.

13. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

14. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Fantastic voice, always loved it.

Stillin Rockville, 905 and GoodKitty like this.
  15. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Winterland 1976

[​IMG]

Somewhere in my archives I have a picture from this show with Eric pointing a green laser beam up towards the mirror ball suspended from the ceiling.

16. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

"I'd like to thank my friends for getting me this little whip ... it's really lovely, I'll keep it and cherish it forevah ..."

One of the coolest looking and most badass lead singers ever. Salut, Jesse Python!

DonnyMe and GoodKitty like this.
  17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

The man is an absolute STUD! 77 and still getting it done.

Mooglander and GoodKitty like this.
  18. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

Love BOC! He's a great frontman! I remember seeing them with their lasers back in the '70's.

Groundhog713, hi_watt, HfxBob and 2 others like this.
  19. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Love BOC. Saw them many times way back when. Saw them in some small clubs too, in the NYC area under the name Soft White Underbelly as they warmed up for tours. Fun times

Eric also cohosted a radio show on WLIR if I remember correctly. That was always a fun listen.:cheers:

20. apb

apb Game on!

So did he ever go "under the thunder of Manitoba?"

mlew, jacchank and Humbuster like this.
  21. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

22. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Has there ever been a photo of Eric without his shades...?

(I'm curious - I'm a huge BOC fan)

23. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

[​IMG]

24. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM Thread Starter

^ wow, no shades or facial hair ! I wouldn't have guessed ....
    What year was that ?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    hi_watt, 905, Slim Zooms and 2 others like this.
  25. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Would love to see the shades-wearing Eric Bloom and Ian Hunter inducted into the
    Rock Hall at the same time. But I'm not optimistic about that prospect at all.