Eric Carmen Solo on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by badfingerjoe, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member Thread Starter

I have been wanting to pick up the missing 3 Arista titles that I don't have on CD.....
    "Boats Against The Current","Change Of Heart" & "It Hurts Too Much"..
    Has anyone heard either the American Beat re-issues...they did a 2fer of
    BATC & COH and an individual CD of IHTM....
    And then BGO did a 3fer of the first album(which I have on Rhino)along with
    BATC & COH....
    I've picked up some BGO titles recently and they sound pretty good,but I have no experience with anything issued by American Beat...
    For a change these titles are available at decent prices compared to those original Japanese issues.
    Any feedback would be great....

Thanks,

JF

2. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I have the American Beat reissue and it sounds pretty close to the LPs to me.

3. badfingerjoe

I asked about these American Beat re-issues because I never heard of this label and was worried about them using master tapes for the Cd or a needle drop...ya never know ...sounding like the Lp's is good as long as the clicks and pops don't some with it...
    Thanks for the response......

JF

4. badfingerjoe

Anyone else have these Eric Carmen Cd's....??

JF

5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Along the way, I've had all of the Eric Carman solo catalog on various CD pressings, including the Rhino, Arista (Japan), American Beat and the BGO 3-fer.

If I'm not mistaken, the American Beat label was bought up by the same clowns that bought Collector's Choice Music, only to do the same killing of a fine reissue label. Record company business is something that I guess that I will never understand? Just like these crazy CEO's that invest into big companies only to either move their jobs overseas or just to make millions by shutting them down.

I currently like the BGO 3-fer the best for the first three albums and the Japanese Arista for the fourth album. There have been at least two different pressings and masterings of "Boats Against The Current" on Arista (Japan). Neither were perfect sounding, but one had fairly poor sound. I have them, but they are buried since the BGO hit the shelf, so I can't say the exact catalog numbers of the good one vs. the poor sounding one.

Don't forget to try and find Eric's later self-titled CD/album on Geffen and the much later Japanese CD called "Winter Dreams", also reissued in the U.S., as "I Was Born To Love You", minus Eric's great cover of "Walk Away Renee".

6. badfingerjoe

Thanks Chris for all the information...let me first say...I have the first album on Rhino and the Geffen album as well as the Japanese release of "Winter Dreams".
    Guess I'm gonna order the BGO..."Boats" is one of my favorites and "Change Of Heart" is right there also....it's not a big deal to me that I'm getting another pressing of the first album...so it's a no brainer...

Thanks again,

JF

7. Chris C

You're welcome, hope you enjoy the BGO!

By the way, "Boats" is easily Eric's best, followed quickly by the first one. "Change Of Heart" seemed somewhat thrown together to me, but the song, "Someday" was great!

kwadguy and Jarleboy like this.
  8. badfingerjoe

I'll check back in here when I get it.....Thanks

JF

9. badfingerjoe

Thanks Chris,Picked up the BGO sounds great...thanks again for the tip....

JF

10. Chris C

FYI Joe, not all BGO CD's sound as good as the Eric Carmen turned out, but I'm glad that you are enjoying it!

11. I read a review that stated that the BGO is brickwalled--is this the case? I have the American Beat which isn't and was curious as to how they compare.

12. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I love Boats Against the Current (so under-rated) and the first album. I agree Change of Heart, is spotty...I do like Someday and there's a real nice version of Baby, I Need Your Lovin'.

13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I currently have...

The Best Of EC (Arista)
    Definitive Collection
    EC (Rhino)
    Eric Carmen/BoatsAgainst The Current/Change Of Heart (BGO 3fer)
    Tonight You're Mine (American Beat)
    Winter Dreams (Japan)

Darryl

14. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

The 1st solo album "Eric Carmen" sounds awful on the Rhino CD.

Harsh, cold and trebly.

kenbefound likes this.
  15. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I have "The Best of", a European compilation, and "The Definitive Collection" - this problem exists on all these versions too.

Even when I re-EQ these tracks the mix still seems bass-shy.

16. No comments from the peanut gallery? I've heard the BGO is brickwalled...I've got it on order but am hesitant to pull the trigger.

The bottom line--I can handle something that is compressed but I'm not a big fan of badly compressed CDs.

Thoughts (Anyone since no one answered my question last time)?

17. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

18. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Why did Rhino release "Eric Carmen" (1975) on CD? It seems like an odd licensing deal?

19. granola

granola Forum Resident

Eric Carmen - Sunrise (August 2015)

"Japanese original release. Cardboard sleeve reissue from Eric Carmen features Blu-spec CD2 format and 2015 remastering. Includes seven bonus tracks selected by Eric Carmen himself for this Japanese edition…"

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-30623

Eric Carmen - Boats Against The Current (August 2015)

"Japanese original release. Cardboard sleeve reissue from Eric Carmen features Blu-spec CD2 format and 2015 remastering. Includes five bonus tracks selected by Eric Carmen himself for this Japanese edition…"

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-30624

Eric Carmen - Change Of Heart (August 2015)

"Japanese original release. Cardboard sleeve reissue from Eric Carmen features Blu-spec CD2 format and 2015 remastering. Includes three bonus tracks selected by Eric Carmen himself for this Japanese edition…"

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-30625

Eric Carmen - Tonight You're Mine (August 2015)

"Japanese original release. Cardboard sleeve reissue from Eric Carmen features Blu-spec CD2 format and 2015 remastering. Includes four bonus tracks selected by Eric Carmen himself for this Japanese edition…"

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-30626

20. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I just heard the Rhino Eric Carmen CD last night. Was the bass really mixed that low (or with no low end) on the original LP? :confused:

It doesn't sound like a mastering issue because the low end on the kick drum is fine. I checked the credits and it was produced by Jimmy Ienner (Raspberries producer) but I've never heard of the studio (O.D.O. in NY) or the engineer (Jack Sherdel).

21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Have to go through my Eric Carmen CDs (as I haven't listen to any in awhile).

Darryl

22. granola

granola Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  23. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Nice to get a few bonus tracks that haven't been issued before, although most of the interesting ones are on the self titled debut (and I'm guessing most/all of those were among the tracks that EC had for download on his site for a while...)

There was a previous issue of Tonight You're Mine from Japan that had a boatload of bonus tracks that basically picked up all the singles/strays that Eric recorded for Arista/RCA after this album was released. That was a better set of bonus tracks than what you get this time around.

25. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.