Eric Clapton - Nothing But the Blues (CD, Vinyl & Bluray)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Apr 26, 2022.

1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Lucky you! I was still in college and could no way afford to fly across for these amazing gigs. But I remember being on the Cream2005 forums waiting excitedly for the first reports - what songs did they play, what guitars did Eric use, how was the jamming….

I hope they release a volume 2 of these shows someday, lots of great alternate performances that could be released on Blu-ray/CD!

2. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

A bit of a frustrating watch, but you’ll get the picture, Eric is smoking here:

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Happened to play this in the car today and yes it is an excellent performance and is absolutely one of the highlights of Cream's 2005 Albert Hall stand!

mattazing and crossroads69 like this.
  4. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I know this is a 1990s thread, but the Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers and Cream eras of Clapton really did earn him the graffito, and they're blowing my mind right now (Ultimate!, MFSL, and DCC/MFSL releases):

[​IMG]

5. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

A little more relevant to the thread, and still stellar:

longdist01, Tom Daniels and bbanderic like this.
  6. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I have heard him do this one. He is easily as good as his golden years around this period or better.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

What do you think accounted for his return to form?

All Down The Line likes this.
  8. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

When I first got that Cream reunion CD + DVD (yes, I had to have both!) I was somewhat puzzled that a song like Stormy Monday was included, as I expected it to be 100% Cream classics. I felt it was out of place. But when I finally heard it I realised I shouldn't have worried. It's a highlight!

9. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Eric was playing great in the 80’s and early 90’s as well, the Journeyman album really put him back in the public eye and then Unplugged which sold 26 million copies. I think after Unplugged Eric realized he could do whatever he wanted and then went back to his core which is the Blues with FTC. To answer your question in one word….INSPIRATION.

As great as that Stormy Monday clip is with Cream in 2005, and it’s top shelf stuff, the NBTB was another level IMO because he was so inspired. I think 94/95 is consistently Eric’s best live period, bar none.

10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Maybe but I wouldn't be without several shows recordings from 1967, '68 & '70 to be sure!

11. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Of course! I’ll say this, ‘67-‘70 his most creative period by a mile.

Riktator, longdist01 and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

You may be right. EC was a far better guitarist and more mature musician in 1994 though.

longdist01, JulesRules and bbanderic like this.
  13. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

I pre-ordered the vinyl set by the way (i'll get the blu-ray the day i'll go get my vinyl at my local store).
    Who did order the vinyl set here ?

hodgo likes this.
  14. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

:wave:

15. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

A-MA-ZING... :cool:

All Down The Line and longdist01 like this.
  16. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

Here is a great performance from EC in 1996.The Blues Band gone and new band with Steve Gadd still back there on the drums,but still playing some great blues.

17. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have been a Clapton fan from day one, but these days I have been disappointed by some of his later releases. I am into other players now.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

What release have you been disappointed by lately ?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

He’s old now, his chops are nowhere near where they used to be due to health issues

20. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

This upcoming Nothing But The Blues release is from the mid 90s, From The Cradle period. You might enjoy it.

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I’m stoned and watching the clip of “Have You Ever Loved a Woman”, and holy Lord, this is some good s***. I’m so glad I’ve preordered this. Dear God. And what a tone. That Gibson…

22. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Put on the Hyde Park DVD next. The “Tore Down - Have You Ever Loved A Woman” duo has that same Gibson tone and EC in good form!

Then flip back to Sheriff, Tearing Us Apart and Old Love for some Fender goodness :)

23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I was just watching part of that earlier and actually stopped on that song because I had just watched it on YouTube. Guess I’ll go and check it out right now. After some Captain Fantastic. I got sidetracked. Elton is an absolute master.

It’s definitely a night for music.

longdist01 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  24. Ragged Glory

Ragged Glory Forum Resident

I did. Sky Arts broadcast 'Nothing but the Blues' here in the UK a couple of weeks ago, so I had the chance to watch it over the weekend. It really is an outstanding performance; Eric is clearly giving it everything, playing music that really motivates him. Having ordered and swiftly returned the 'Lady in the Balcony' set, because the pressing was riddled with issues, I can only hope they do a better job of the vinyl this time around. It's definitely a vinyl set I'll be keen to have in the collection, if the pressing quality is there. I got an Amazon pre-order in for the Blu-ray at £16, so that was a no-brainer.

25. supermd

supermd Senior Member