Eric Clapton - Nothing But the Blues (CD, Vinyl & Bluray)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

2. SoundDogg

SoundDogg Well-Known Member

This packaging is literally like a greeting card, guess Reprise decided to go the minimalist route.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

While I get that sentiment and share the annoyance about the lack of concert only option, I don’t think you should return it. The film itself is still terrific and features some of Eric’s best playing - lots to enjoy with what we’ve got!

JulesRules, Bossyman, Tim 2 and 4 others like this.
  4. crossroads69

Everything about this release has been minimalist. The packaging, the partial concert on CD and a just “as is” restoration of the 1995 PBS TV Special on the Blu-ray.

Bit of a lazy effort IMO by Warner on what I think is one of the most highly anticipated Clapton releases in years.

5. Ragged Glory

Ragged Glory Forum Resident

Well I needn't have worried about the quality of the vinyl at least. It's excellent. In a different stratosphere to the dismal 'Lady in the Balcony' pressing. With 'LITB' I returned the vinyl and kept the (excellent) Blu-ray. Looks like I'll be hanging on to both this time around.

6. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I second the above, the vinyl is an outstanding pressing with excellent mastering work fron Chris Bellman.

7. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

I think the DR values of the bonus CD ahven't been posted yet:

foobar2000 1.6.10 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Eric Clapton / Nothing But The Blues
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR9 0.00 dB -10.79 dB 8:21 01-Driftin'
    DR11 -0.09 dB -12.71 dB 3:01 02-County Jail Blues
    DR10 -0.09 dB -11.47 dB 2:44 03-Kid Man Blues
    DR9 -0.03 dB -10.43 dB 4:31 04-It's Too Bad (Things Are Going So Tough)

Number of tracks: 4
    Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 979 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

No music-only option on the Blu-ray really sucks because it's mastered less loud than the CD:

Driftin' (CD)
    [​IMG]

Driftin' (Blu-ray)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    hodgo and crossroads69 like this.
  8. crossroads69

The growl of those vintage Gibsons P90s (44, Hurts Me Too), the menacing bite of that sunburst 335 (Reconsider Baby, Sinners Prayer) - it’s absolute Gibson tone heaven here! It’s hard to believe that Eric would almost entirely stop playing these Gibsons after the mid-90s, just gorgeous tone on these instruments.

At the same time, the classic clean Fender strat tones (Early In The Morning, Everyday I Have The Blues) are equally cool and add great tonal variety to the concert (which is so missing from all his other ones). I guess my least favorite are the overdriven strat tones here, much prefer the distortion on the Gibsons.

Lastly, those vintage acoustics are equally gorgeous! Man, what guitars on show here :drool:

9. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

While I think what we have is great, I have to agree with you. They could’ve easily added more footage/audio and the packaging could’ve been way better, not to mention they used a picture on the cover from 1996 rather than from the Fillmore like all the other photos in the book, LP and CD.

Yes, they did a fresh scan of the PBS special broadcast print but we know it was originally shot in 16:9. The only real work they put in was the audio from the multi tracks and the atmos mix, which is huge, so overall it’s a major upgrade both audio and video from what we had but could’ve been so much better.

Bossyman, crossroads69 and hodgo like this.
  10. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I have the LP coming from Amazon UK so it’s good to hear Bellman was involved, do you know where the vinyl was pressed?

hodgo and All Down The Line like this.
  11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Absolutely. :righton:

All Down The Line likes this.
  12. BaroloLayla

BaroloLayla Active Member

Had a listen to the cd yesterday .I have seen Clapton 40 plus times from 83 onwards,the audio quality is not great but gets better after track 4 I did notice hes guitar is definitely pushed forward and sounds great especially with the Gibsons full tone you can follow the notes easily definitely one of hes best performances guitar playing wise,highly reccomend to fans.

13. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

agreed. And I love the tone of his strats, I’m just sick of hearing this sound from him. And as great as his strat sounds here - it still sounds like a toy to me compared to the tones he gets with the Gibsons.

I guess the Gibsons are too heavy for him? Or he doesn’t want to worry about losing them on the road (thefts)

I’m one of those fans that isn’t super familiar with this 94 show and after watching the Blu-ray it really disappoints me that these two shows weren’t available in their entirety- as they are that good imo

still thankful for it’s official, broadcast release nonetheless

14. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I believe it was pressed at Optimal in Germany.

15. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Curious, what’s the DR value of Driftin on the Blu-Ray?

16. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

I also wanted to add here, in watching this concert - while it is fully obvious Clapton’s guitar playing was stellar here - his singing really stands out to me. He really belts these songs out and it’s a real pleasure watching EC sing these old classics as you can tell how much time and effort he put in getting the nuances right for the Muddy Waters songs & Howling Wolf songs, etc…

in the same way Keith Richards hit his second peak in the mid to late 90’s, Clapton followed a similar trajectory in the early to mid 90’s time frame

17. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I think Eric was in his prime as a live performer in the 90’s. Also, imo, the combination of his singing ability along with his guitar skills is what sets him apart from many of the greats of his era, he’s the total package.

18. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

jhm, All Down The Line and Goldtop33 like this.
  19. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

absolutely - that was running thru my mind as I watched the show last night. Another thing that came to mind was he makes everything look so easy (guitar wise). I also couldn’t help but think he was channeling a little bit of SRV in this show as the Alpine tragedy was still fresh in his mind here.

a frustrating thing for me regarding Clapton’s career is why he didn’t just stay in the blues niche as I wasn’t a fan of the mainstream 70’s/80’s stuff (& even the latter day stuff that came out after the RJ period. He came off so pedestrian on the pop stuff (imo). Watch him here at this Fillmore show in his element and he just radiates power & prowess & really encapsulates what a master musician is.

DoF, JulesRules, goodboyfred and 6 others like this.
  20. crossroads69

I think this is his best vocal performance on any of his several live releases. The way he channeled the blues is just incredible!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    DoF, jhm and All Down The Line like this.
  21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Thanks for the advice, but...no. I’ll watch it once. I bought it largely to rip the audio tracks.

Instant return.

hbbfam likes this.
  22. crossroads69

Wow, didn’t know they originally shot it in 16:9 ratio. So we are actually losing information here! Stellar job on the PBS print restoration, but guess there wasn’t the budget or the intent or both to go a step further and edit a complete concert from the original tapes.

I don’t want to sound too complaining as I love what’s on the disc here. But being the super fan and having wanted for his legendary release for years, it’s a tad disappointing that they didn’t do it full justice. I guess the complete concerts may now stay in the cans forever…..

Bossyman, Goldtop33 and hodgo like this.
  23. crossroads69

In that case, the CD or HD download (or streaming) will certainly serve you better. Ripping the Blu-ray disc for the audio will be painful here, with all the commentaries and edits.

marcb likes this.
  24. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

Not much better, so it's not like there's a lot of clipping on the CD:

foobar2000 1.6.10 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

Statistics for: 22-Driftin'
    Number of samples: 47740800
    Duration: 8:17

Left Right

Peak Value: -2.10 dB --- -2.10 dB
    Avg RMS: -13.87 dB --- -13.53 dB
    DR channel: 9.87 dB --- 9.87 dB

Official DR Value: DR10

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 3084 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

hodgo and bbanderic like this.
  25. nubold1

nubold1 Forum Resident

Unless of course you want the additional 2 tracks (Crosscut Saw, Ain't Nobody's Business) that are exclusive to the Blu-Ray.

JulesRules and All Down The Line like this.