Eric Clapton - Nothing But the Blues (CD, Vinyl & Bluray)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Apr 26, 2022.

1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

A curated collection (17 tracks) rather than the complete show (~25 tracks) from those three Fillmore nights. That’s a small disappointment* but likely done to fit physical formats. Interestingly, it shows up as separate Nothing But The Blues live release on streaming rather than as part of From The Cradle (deluxe).

I hope the Nothing But The Blues Blu-ray release contains the complete track list from Fillmore. Perhaps the complete shows on CD will be exclusive to the From The Cradle (deluxe)? I don’t think we will have to wait too long now to find out.

*I like the Crosscut Saw performance from this tour and would’ve been nice to have that on here!

ARK, Matthew Tate, Sean and 3 others like this.
  2. crossroads69

Looks like your wish is being granted!

ARK, Matthew Tate, Sean and 2 others like this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Is it just downloadable content?

4. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Yes.

5. crossroads69

For now yes (download and streaming), but likely a precursor to the announcement of the physical editions.

ARK, Matthew Tate, Sean and 5 others like this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I think there were 2 tracks released on the Motherless Children cd single that were only played live. I remember one of was Kidman Blues. I'd be willing to bet they were from the Albert Hall show that was widely traded

Matthew Tate, Sean and longdist01 like this.
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Sure hope we get a physical media release soon after digital is available...

Sean and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  8. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

Here is a new audio clip on YouTube,the same performance of the NBTB video clip from the show i posted earlier..sounds great! I do hope this show on CD is included in the new deluxe set or a separate CD/vinyl release :) Of course a vinyl release would be a box set on it's own.They could include a copy of the LP size Tour Program as a bonus.

9. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

The Clapton Holy Grail is scheduled to land. The PBS special was off the charts, probably some of his best playing he put out (recorded or broadcast) for public consumption. I've looked, waited, and watched some more, always in vain, and never understood why this wasn't released. Finally! If it takes getting basically a duplicate plus some extras to have the Fillmore show, so be it. I would prefer CD over video but would gladly have either vs. nothing. I listened to the tease on Qobuz, Incredible. The sound and the playing were insanely good.

10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Absolutely!

longdist01 likes this.
  11. tanqueray cowboy

tanqueray cowboy Forum Resident

Looking at my copy of the Motherless Child single — the 2 live tracks are County Jail and 32-20, both from RAH July 1993.

12. All Down The Line

I remember getting a live 2CD-R in the 90's and freaking, telling a mate and fan 20 years my senior that this Clapton set was The E.C. material you'd want to hear live also having great SQ & featured the passionate killer playing we had long hoped to hear from Eric but hadn't dared to dream we would get!

13. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I saw him on that tour at MSG and Everyday I Have the Blues was one of the best things I ever heard him do in the six or seven times I saw him. The one in Nothin' But the Blues came close, it'll be nice to have it easily available instead of digging to find my DVD-R!

Sean, jhm, JulesRules and 2 others like this.
  14. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

I hope this great performance from the Fillmore West show is included in the deluxe set Blu-ray.This song wasn't included in the NBTB broadcast on PBS that a taped that night,but was included on a DVD of the complete show i got at a guitar show back in the late 90's.
    and yes EC can sound great on a Strat :)

Sean, quicksrt, stevef and 4 others like this.
  15. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

It's going to be very interesting how this is put out. So far from what we know officially is the Fillmore audio is a standalone release. Still nothing official on FTC deluxe or BD. Personally, I want it all. If it comes out, the NBTB Blu-Ray should be a massive upgrade and presented in 16:9 HD since it was captured on film by Scorcese. I also would like FTC remaster with the live Fillmore audio as bonus. We get all that in primo quality, I would be one happy camper and it's looking like we might not have to wait that long :).

16. crossroads69

I became an EC fan about 10 years after this tour and always wondered why these live shows were never released. It was definitely such a high point for Eric musically and his playing on that tour was red hot, critically praised by everyone. Thankfully, it’s finally coming out and should be good upgrade over the soundboard boots (and major upgrade over those VHS sourced YT videos). Holy grail indeed!

But while NBTB never saw release, the Hyde Park show from 1996 did and I also rate it as one of his best! Not just the blues but including few hits (Layla, Badge, Sheriff, etc.), it was one of my first concert DVD and Eric’s playing just blew my mind.

Here is Have You Ever Loved A Woman from Hyde Park. The tone of that cherry red Gibson ES-335 is blues heaven and the performance is at same level as the NBTB if not better. Wish Eric didn’t almost completely give up that ES-335 post this tour, it would’ve been perfect for at least some tracks at the 2005 Cream reunion shows.

J_D__, Jagger69, LeeGriffin and 5 others like this.
  17. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

The 6 years sequence between the Crossroads box set in 1988 and From The Cradle could be considered easily as the best sequence in EC career recording.
    It's my fave actually.

1988 : Crossroads (compilation)
    1989 : Journeyman (studio recording)
    1991 : 24 Nights (live recording)
    1992 : Rush (soundtrack) & Unplugged (acoustic live recording)
    1994 : Live At The Fillmore (Derek and Dominos) & From The Cradle (studio recording)

It was a heavenly period for EC fans and the times i personaly discovered EC, first with Crossroads because i had a friend who had bought the vinyl set the day it was released, and then Journeyman and 24 Nights (another friend had bought the CD set) wich i remember was hugely promoted in France.

Scopitone, ARK, J_D__ and 12 others like this.
  18. All Down The Line

Inspired stuff, after 7.30 Eric's even getting Buddy Guyish which is no bad thing!!!

longdist01 and Reid Smith like this.
  19. All Down The Line

Thanks for that reminder, I bought the VHS, DVD & then eventually the Boot 2 CD in that order & "really" enjoyed his playing again on this release!

longdist01 and crossroads69 like this.
  20. crossroads69

I ripped the DVD into my Walkman long time ago, really great concert!

longdist01 and All Down The Line like this.
  21. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

22. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I've always wanted From The Cradle on vinyl so that will work (price dependent, i don't need it THAT much.)

Personal request would be the final night of Royal Albert Hall 1993, perhaps a year too early for this release but i was there and it was the best Clapton live performance i've seen in the flash, i bought the bootleg immediately after, Groaning The Blues from that show is emmence. Not sure if was professionally recorded but seriously good show.

Cost and extra track dependent i'm very much interested.

23. crossroads69

This article confirms that the original Nothing But The Blues documentary has been restored from film negative to 4K with the approval of Martin Scorsese. The soundtrack has also been redone, likely new surround mixes.

I would be surprised if this film is kept exclusive to the From The Cradle deluxe edition. With Scorsese’s name attached, it could very well see separate release on physical media and streaming.

24. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I agree, I think it’ll get a stand-alone release. 16:9 HD at a minimum, hopefully 4K, surround sound HD, HD stereo, this is going to be a massive upgrade to what’s out there now.

25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

At last and can't wait for this stuff to be out....