Eric Clapton “Unplugged” One Step review

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by merlperl, May 22, 2022.

1. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have about 14 one steps, quite a few UHQRs, and a decent system (see profile for system). I also have this album on CD and have streamed it recently on Qobuz at 44/16.

First off regarding packaging…I’ve been very lucky with my one steps. None have arrived damaged in any way. This one in particular not only had zero seam splits, but the edge of the jackets housing the records ( where the writing is) are super clean and crisp. And yes, the artwork is bunk. It’s a tv screen grab. Let’s not get hung about the visuals…

There’s been a lot of talk about recessed vocals on this pressing. On my system the Vocals are clear and present. Yes there are moments when EC is further from or closer to, the mic. These moments exist on the cd and streaming as well. Even in those cases where he backs off a bit, the VOX on the one step are very clear and natural sounding, as compared to the digital versions. This just adds to the effect of it sounding very “live”In fact, all instruments sound very real and exist clearly in their own space across the sound stage, which is wide and filled in between and beyond the speakers. Yet still you get a very intimate and cozy live feel throughout—Like you’re in a small venue.

“Tears in heaven” sounds much more “live” on the One Step than it does on the cd and Qobuz. There is much more of the room reproduced. Almost sounds like that particular presence was eq’d out on the digital versions by comparison. You can really tell by focusing on the percussion…

On “Lonely Stranger” the bongos and background vocals are far more full and satisfying sounding than the digital versions. Piano also is more focused and the hard acoustic guitar licks near the end sound like they are in the room.

Throughout, guitars really sing and the piano sounds wonderful. Drums also reverberate in a natural way. In particular, the percussion in “Love comes over you” and “Old Love” sounds quite real. The toms ring out nicely and cymbals have a satisfying splash and slight sizzle at the end of the hit.

On “Walking blues”, you can very distinctly hear the slide moving across the strings and frets. My brother is a professional musician, and a top level slide player, so I know this sound quite well, and on this recording the timbre of the guitar and the sound the slide makes is reproduced very well… including accidental knocks on the neck, fret hits etc. And you can clearly hear EC slap the body of the guitar at one point. The sound of the low E scraping on the slide is also very present…not quite enough to tell if the strings are round or flat wound but pretty damn close!

The finger picking on the solo in “Old love” is reproduced with excellent nuance. And you can easily hear the timbre change when EC is picking closer to the bridge. Likewise the guitar fills during the piano solo in that song stand out with some very cool licks. Even when his guitar playing isn’t front and center, you can hear distinctly that EC is supremely musical.

Piano throughout is very enjoyable. In “Alberta” it’s amazing, with a woody, full sound and sharp attacks. The acoustic guitar is placed at just right of center and drives the song well.

Now, overall, the level is a bit less hot than some of the other one steps, like Mingus or Tapestry. I found the same thing with the recent MW “Folk Singer” release as compared with my AP 33. No big deal…just crank it more! In fact I like this aspect…the same is true on the Beatles in Mono on vinyl…they give you lots of room to crank them up!

Any issues at all? Only that at a lot of places there is a lot of low frequency information, and some of it is distracting. The foot stomps on the stage at on “Hey hey” are realistic enough to make my dog go running to the front door. While this is on the recording, they could have toned it down a touch. I guess I should turn the sub off next time I listen to it.

Overall this is a far more involving listening experience than either streaming or the cd offer. Way more natural sounding with a realistic room sound. Even the crowd sounds more present. Dig it.

Yovra, Mike Abramson, Kkfan and 28 others like this.
  2. Marv Headroom

Marv Headroom Forum Resident

Wow, merlperl....thanks so much for an excellent and very thoughtful review of the MoFi one-step Unplugged! Ha, so true about the foot stomps as they can catch you off guard. I'm looking forward to getting my copy (still in process at MD). Cheers!

merlperl and supermd like this.
  3. grorr76

grorr76 Forum Resident

still awaiting mine tip ship from MD, this album was huge for me growing up, reading your review has just grown my anticipation further. :goodie:

Marv Headroom, merlperl and supermd like this.
  4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Very nicely written and detailed. Thanks.

Too bad you don't have the 2LP 33 reissue of this as that would be a useful comparison.

But it's the kind of details you mention which help convey the musicians' intentions.

Buddybud likes this.
  5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I did not realize this is the best selling live album of all time. It is estimated to have sold 26 million worldwide. Very impressive.

Kkfan, J_D__, Umbari and 2 others like this.
  6. grorr76

grorr76 Forum Resident

+ 3 grammy awards ontop of that including album of the year..

Kkfan, J_D__, Umbari and 2 others like this.
  7. merlperl

I don’t have any other LP of this for comparison. And the Qobuz file is not the highest rez…

8. merlperl

Glad to help!!

9. merlperl

Wa
    Wait until you hear the stomps on this pressing…assuming you have a sub!

Marv Headroom likes this.
  10. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Goes to show that digitally recorded and mixed music isn't necessarily bad and can translate beautifully to vinyl.

11. merlperl

It’s a great example of that! But I wonder if the digital recording is responsible for the excessive LFE. They really should have limited that part in my opinion.

12. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart 2 Kings 2:23-25

Can you upload a high-res version of it for my Grandma? I'm trying to get back at her for something she did to me when I was a kid.

healter skealter likes this.
  13. Angelovski

Angelovski New Member

Just got it today, and all you wrote is on point. Sounds fantastic.

But my copy is slightly warped. Not a big deal, no audible issues.

Should I return it? Do they replace those slightly warped records?

I feel bad that it costs pretty penny, shipped to Europe ($200 in total), and it is not perfect.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

14. Marv Headroom

Marv Headroom Forum Resident

Plus it lead to an amazing revival in acoustic guitar music along with classic blues from Robert Johnson & others. I know Martin sold many guitars because of this album including to myself!

Jarleboy, supermd and ssmith3046 like this.
  15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I didn't know that. If I remember correctly Clapton writes in his book that it was his best selling album.

J_D__ and supermd like this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I learned this from reading MoFi’s website description, something I don’t often do.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  17. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Excellent review! I am looking forward even more to listening to my copy. It does seem a little odd that there are always folk who are complaining about this or that with every 'One Step' they own. I have to question what their expectations are...and in some cases, whether these very same folk have the gear necessary to do these 'One Step' releases justice.

18. merlperl

This last point is valid! It takes a resolving system to discern some of the subtleties that make one steps a treat

MOON, Tullman and DaveyF like this.
  19. merlperl

They’re usually pretty good about that. Did you buy it from music direct or Mofi?

20. HarryB

HarryB Well-Known Member

I own the 2011 two LP 33 rpm pressing and have compared it to my one step pressing.
    Both are VERY close but I must say I like the 2011 pressing a bit more, both pressings are equal except when it comes to the "punch" and the 2011 just has more of it.
    IMO the 2011 gets a slight edge.
    My equipment: Marantz PM8006 - Pro-Ject Carbon EVO with Sumiko Rainer - JBL L-100s and Klipsch RP-800F speakers (I run all 4 together)

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Now I know why MFSL chose this title.

brucej4 and supermd like this.
  22. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I’m finally comparing my one step to the 16/44.1 CD audio.

the one step sounds quite a bit rolled off. Maybe to tame some of the digital glare.
    Bass on the vinyl is more prominent and full, in a good way.

overall the new mastering is much smoother, more woodsy sounding. Works for this type of album. But I will say it’s less punch too, like you mentioned.

typically my vinyl system is a bit colder than my digital front end, or pretty evenly matched when the mastering is the same. So to hear such a major difference between the CD and this Onestep was surprising!

Thus this pressing is not revelatory, but it’s a better all around listen.

supermd, HarryB and vinylvin like this.
  23. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Oh that’s just the MoFi modus operandi at this point. Pump that bass!

can’t wait for Thriller where the mastering needs more bass.

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Has anybody considered that the extended bass might actually be on the master of an album, and Kreig is not reducing it, while other releases have chosen to reduce it?

Just saying - if we haven't heard the master ourselves, we don't know which version is the best reflection of the tape. We just assume who is boosting, and who isn't. We could be wrong.

Kkfan, supermd, MOON and 1 other person like this.
  25. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Wasn't this album recorded and mixed in 44/16? What is the point of an analog medium in this case, could'nt such alternate mastering be presented simply on cd?