Essential Barry Diament masterings (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Jun 26, 2010.

1. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

This thread has connected me with so much great music, so thank you for all who have shared.

But I have a favor to ask the forum, Can someone post EAC values for Barry's Eagles "Their Greatest Hits" CD?

c-eling, George P and mdm08033 like this.
  2. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I own 2 different masterings... to my ears this one sounds better and I'd guess it is Barry's, but I have no idea... and based on what I've read on search a lot of these "which ones did Barry master?" questions are just based on his recollections... which he often admitted were fuzzy.

This one is my preferred... I believe in this thread he said he believes the 32XD is his mastering, so I'd be curious and appreciative if someone could post EACS

Dynamic Range Values
    DR: 12.0/11.9
    PK: -0.60
    RMS: -16.0/-15.8

EAC

1: 84.1
    2: 89.4
    3: 93.3
    4: 90.5
    5: 88.3
    6: 93.3
    7: 82.0
    8: 91.2
    9: 84.5
    10: 86.2

Its an original silver hub CD (not RE-1). Can post matrix if anyone cares, but right now its in disc player, just finishing up!

c-eling likes this.
  3. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

Hi George. I will try to get back to you on your question this weekend.

Would you also like me to explain the early history of Face Value and Hello I Must Be Going CD pressings and how you can tell whether a particular CD pressing is based on Barry Diament mastering?

4. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

Hi princesskiki,

I am not George, nor meaning to butt in, though I certainly would be interested to hear/read your explanation regarding the early pressings history of 'Face Value' and 'Hello...' on CD!

Regards,

David

princesskiki and George P like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I don't think it's ever been confirmed what's his, just going by older closed threads.
    My US RE-01 SRC##02 carries these levels
    94.3/100/100/100/81.0/100/79.4/100/88.1/100
    Same goes for Howard Jones-Dream Into Action, my guess is the US SRC manufacture, which does not match anything else.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    George P likes this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks!

Yes, and if you could do the same for No Jacket Required, that would be great!

princesskiki likes this.
  7. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Regarding Barry Diament masterings, here's what I have for Eagles, Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975:

Asylum 105-2 (253-017) matrix 105 2 N3E11 84.1 / 89.4 / 93.3 / 90.5 / 88.3 / 93.3 / 82.0 / 91.2 / 84.5 / 80.4
    WG Target 84.1 / 89.4 / 93.3 / 90.5 / 88.3 / 93.3 / 82.0 / 91.1 / 84.5 / 80.4
    Asylum 105-2 (253-017) matrix 105 2 M5E13 (JAPAN) 84.1 / 89.4 / 93.3 / 90.5 / 88.3 / 93.3 / 82.0 / 91.1 / 84.5 / 80.4
    Asylum E2-105 WEA matrix 2 105-2 SRC=37 ARC *M2 S2 84.1 / 89.4 / 93.3 / 90.5 / 88.3 / 93.3 / 82.0 / 91.2 / 84.5 / 86.2
    2 105-2 SRC-33 M5 S13 84.1 / 89.4 / 93.3 / 90.5 / 88.3 / 93.3 / 82.0 / 91.2 / 84.5 / 86.2
    Asylum 105-2, EUR 253 017 WEA matrix 2 105-2 RE-1 SRC##02 94.3 / 100.0 / 100.0 / 100.0 / 81.0 / 100.0 / 79.4 / 100.0 / 88.1 / 100.0
    Asylum WEA 105-2 (253-017) Z9621 2 105-2 RE-2 07 M1S35 C1 99.8 / 99.8 / 99.8 / 99.8 / 99.8 / 99.8 / 99.8 / 99.8 / 99.8 / 99.8

My best guess... when I listened to them a while ago was Barry Diament version was:
    EAC: 84.1 / 89.4 / 93.3 / 90.5 / 88.3 / 93.3 / 82.0 / 91.2 / 84.5 / 86.2

I would love to hear other opinions. Some of his work may never be determined with certainty.

8. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Regarding No Jacket Required, every version I have (7 total) have the same EAC values of:
    89.1 / 89.1 / 59.5 / 89.1 / 75.4 / 89.1 / 89.1 / 89.1 / 89.1 / 78.1 / 89.1

Pressing plants include: Warner DE, SRC G1, Daio Kosan, CTA G2, JVC JP, Denon US

I tagged them all as Barry Diament masterings.

I love to hear other opinions!

princesskiki, mdm08033 and George P like this.
  9. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

This post is for George, David and anyone else who may care about this:

FACE VALUE

This album was first mastered and manufactured by Polygram in West Germany for the UK market on the Virgin record label (light blue face design) in the Spring of 1983. This was one of the very first WG Polygram discs ever made! (By the way, if you care about this kind of information, Discogs is incorrect in stating that this CD was first released in 1984.) The peak levels are different on this WG blue face Virgin CD from all subsequent CD pressings. FYI, the peak level for the first song "In the Air Tonight" is 91.2% and the total run time for the disc is "47:42" on my CD player. This is one of the first used CD's that I purchased when I started hunting down and collecting first and early CD pressings. It came from a collection of hundreds of 1983-1985 CD's that someone in the music business had received for review.

[Here is a personal story -- you can skip this bracketed part, if you wish: This CD is singly responsible for my obsession with hunting down and comparing various CD pressings of every album that I like. Before I purchased this CD used, I already had in my collection, a JVC Japan for US CD pressing that I had bought back in 1986, the sound of which I had always enjoyed. When I played this Virgin blue face CD, I could not understand why it sounded so bad. Was my memory bad? I had thought that all CD's of a given album sounded the same since they are digital! Then I compared the two CD pressings and "WOW!" They sounded totally different. The JVC Japan for US CD from 1986 sounded sooooooooooo much better, I could not believe it. That led to my obsession buying up all JVC Japan CD's of every album I liked and comparing them to other pressings. That is how I got started on collecting 80's CD pressings, in case anyone cares.]

Now, back to Face Value: Sometime in the first half of 1984, WG Polygram manufactured another CD mastering of Face Value (which according to the front booklet, was mastered by someone at WCI Group, where Barry Diament had also worked). NOW, THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART: The matrix of this WG target CD pressing ends with "01" and the total run time for the disc is "47:19" on my CD player. This is NOT from Barry Diament's mastering. The peak level for "In the Air Tonight" is 86.5% for this EARLY WG target CD pressing.

Either late 1984 or very early 1985, JVC Japan took over from WG Polygram for the bulk of CD pressings of Face Value in the U.S. The earliest pressings will have "M" in the matrix. By the second half of 1985, the matrix became "S". (Note: It is possible that there are pressings with "N" or "T" as well, since the chronology is "M," then "N," then "S," then "T".) These "early" JVC Japan for US CD's came with a back tray insert NOT having any bar codes. This is NOT from Barry Diament's mastering. The peak level for "In the Air Tonight" is 86.5% for these EARLY JVC Japan CD pressings and the total run time for the disc is "47:20" on my CD player.

Here, a personal observation on the EARLY WG Polygram target and EARLY JVC Japan CD pressings: The sound quality of these two are noticeably better than the earlier WG Polygram for UK Virgin blue face CD.

[There is a Japan for Japan target CD that was released in Japan in 1985. I can't find my copy right now but my bad memory tells me that that CD comes from the same digital mastering as the early WG Polygram target and Early JVC Japan CD's.]

Sometime in late 1985 or very early 1986, Barry Diament REMASTERED Face Value for CD. There are TWO earliest CD pressings using Barry's mastering. One of these is WG Polygram's SECOND target CD pressing with the matrix ending "02 *". These discs do not have a narrow outer mirror band around the outer rim of the disc. The peak level for "In the Air Tonight" is 93.3% for these SECOND WG target CD pressings and the total run time is "47:52" on my CD player. The other of these earliest Barry Diament CD's was made by JVC Japan with the matrix containing "2R" in the matrix. My personal copy has the matrix ending "U1 C11". All JVC Japan discs having a "U" in the matrix should also have "2R" in the matrix and should be Barry's mastering. [There is a possibility that a JVC Japan CD with a "T" matrix also having "2R" in the matrix, which will indicate Barry's mastering. There is a stronger possibility of a later JVC Japan CD with a "V" matrix and if there is, then that one should also have "2R" in the matrix -- also Barry's.] The peak level for "In the Air Tonight" is 93.3% for these LATER JVC Japan CD pressings and the total run time is "47:50" on my CD player.

Starting in late 1986, WEA's SRC plant started manufacturing CD pressings of Face Value and the earlier ones are Barry's mastering. These do NOT have "RE" in the matrix.

Sometime in 1987, WG Polygram manufactured some CD's for RCA record club in the U.S. These "non-target" "aluminum-to-center" discs have the matrix ending "02 *" and sound exactly like the SECOND target CD pressing with the same matrix.

There are other CD pressings made by plants in different countries that also use Barry's mastering. The peak level for "In the Air Tonight" should be 93.3% and the total run time should be around "47:50" plus or minus a few seconds.

I have found over the years that WEA's SRC plant pressings of many albums have "secret remastering", most of which I do NOT like. Most of them are just louder with added compression, EQ'ing, etc. In the case of Face Value, any SRC pressing with "RE" in the matrix is a secret remastering, probably based on Barry's mastering. On one set of these secretly remastered CD pressings, the peak level for "In the Air Tonight" is 95.5%. These may sound good at first or casual listen but when compared to a true early Barry CD, they reveal "faults".

For George ONLY: I know you are going to ask me which is my favorite CD pressing using Barry's mastering and so here it is: my personal copy of the later JVC Japan for US CD with the matrix ending "U1 C11". :wave:

(to be continued.... Hello, I Must Be Going! will be my next post of this thread. I will deal with No Jacket Required after that.)

:wave:

jvmjr, furthermore, Solace and 21 others like this.
  10. I have two West German CD's both with 2 99143 SRC 01 in the matrix and one from Germany with 229254939-2.3 07/99 in the matrix. All three start with In The Air Tonight at 95.5%. It seems this was the popular mastering until the recent remaster (not including Steve's mastering).

princesskiki likes this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member

mdm08033 and princesskiki like this.
  12. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

Many thanks, princesskiki, for your time and detailed information on 'Face Value'!

princesskiki, George P and mdm08033 like this.
  13. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

(Continued from Post #359:
    Essential Barry Diament masterings (Part 2) )

HELLO, I MUST BE GOING!

This album was first mastered and manufactured by Polygram in West Germany for the UK market on the Virgin record label (light blue face design) in the Spring of 1983. This was one of the very first WG Polygram discs ever made! This was actually mastered earlier than WG blue face Virgin CD of Face Value, but they may been released at or around the same time in the UK. I can't find this CD in my piles of CD's now, but if I remember correctly, this CD may have a different mastering from all subsequent CD pressings of this album.

Around January 1984, Polygram in West Germany again manufactured CD's of this album but this time from a separate production mastering and now for Atlantic in the U.S. and WEA for the European (minus U.K.) markets. (In Japan, this same WG target disc was sold with a Japan "obi" with the cat. no. 38XP-9.) This was the very first Phil Collins CD album released in the U.S.! These earliest "target" CD's have the matrix ending "01" and have a total run time of "45:35" on my CD player. (If you are a collector of vintage CD's, you know that the U.S. Atlantic version has the background painted green with red painted "target" and that the European WEA version has the same background color but purple painted "target".) These "01" WG target discs are NOT Barry Diament's mastering.

Sometime later in 1984, WG Polygram did another production mastering of this album for both US Atlantic and European WEA (again, minus UK Virgin) and these target CD's now have the matrix ending "03 #" and have a total run time of "45:35" on my CD player. I don't remember these targets sounding any different from the earlier "01" targets. Up to this point in the timeline, these target discs all have a narrow outer mirror band around the outer rim of the disc. These "03 #" WG target discs were made and sold into 1985 and, like the "01" target discs above, are NOT Barry Diament mastering.

Either late 1984 or sometime in 1985, JVC Japan also manufactured non-target CD's for the U.S. market, based on the same digital mastering as the early WG targets above. These will have either "M" or "S" in the matrix and have a total run time of "45:37" on my CD player. These are NOT Barry Diament mastering.

Sometime in 1985, CBS/Sony Japan ("CSR") manufactured the pink background/black target CD's for the Japanese market. These are based on the same digital mastering as above, have a total run time of "45:35" on my CD player, and are NOT Barry Diament mastering. [On a side note, all of the CD's described above, except the UK blue face (which I can't remember now), all sound excellent, but this CSR Japan target sounds a tiny weeny bit better to me than the others. I don't know why.]

Sometime in late 1985 or very early 1986, Barry Diament REMASTERED Hello, I Must Be Going! for CD. There are TWO earliest CD pressings using Barry's mastering. One of these is WG Polygram's THIRD target CD pressing (for both the U.S. market and the European market) with the matrix ending "04 #" and a total run time close to 45:50 (I can't find my copy right now). These discs do not have a narrow outer mirror band around the outer rim of the disc. (There is also a later FOURTH target CD pressing, just for the European market, with the matrix ending "05 *". I think WG Polygram produced a new glass master because they gave their "04 #" glass master to their U.S. subsidiary US PDO plant.).

The other of these earliest Barry Diament CD's was made by JVC Japan with the matrix containing "2R" in the matrix. My personal copy has the matrix ending "U1 C10" with a total run time of "45:48" on my CD player, and is from 1986. All JVC Japan discs having a "U" in the matrix should also have "2R" in the matrix and should be Barry's mastering. There is also a slightly earlier JVC Japan CD with a "T" matrix also having "2R" in the matrix, which is also Barry's mastering. There may also be a 1987 JVC Japan CD with a "V" and "2R" in matrix and if there is, then that one should also be Barry's.

Starting in late 1986 (but probably more like 1987 or even later, based on the matrix styles that I have seen), WEA's SRC plant started manufacturing CD pressings and the earlier ones are Barry's mastering. These do NOT have "RE" in the matrix.

In around late 1987 or so, US PDO also manufactured "non-target" "aluminum-to-center" discs for the U.S. market using the glass master from WG Polygram and these have "04 #" in the matrix. These are Barry's and they actually sound a tiny weeny bit better than the WG Polygram target discs with the same matrix. I think these may have skipped the mother/stamper stage and may have been made directly from the glass master.

There are other CD pressings made by plants in different countries that also use Barry's mastering.

For George ONLY: I know you are going to ask me which is my favorite CD pressing using Barry's mastering and so here it is: my personal copy of the later JVC Japan for US CD with the matrix ending "U1 C10" and the US PDO non-target "04 #" CD. :wave:

(to be continued.... No Jacket Required will be in my next post, hopefully sometime later this weekend.)

:wave:

jasonsouza77, ispace, Dam and 4 others like this.
  14. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

The Target with 05 ending has some issues (glitch at the beginning of I Don't Care Anymore and a channel dropout during Like China).

havefun6699 and princesskiki like this.
  15. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

Hi princesskiki,
    Hope you don"t mind the gentlest of nudges on my and George P's behalf regarding 'No Jacket Required'!?
    George - hope you don't mind me taking the liberty of using your name and reiterating your request of princesskiki for this information in your earlier post?

Regards,

David

16. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

Okay George and David, here is No Jacket Required, which probably is not very informative.

This album was first released on vinyl in January 1985. I can't remember now whether the CD was released at the same time or slightly later, but the CD was first released sometime in the first half of 1985.

Unlike his first two albums (which I have written about above), Barry was the original CD mastering engineer and not a remastering engineer. Therefore, the early CD pressings should have Barry's mastering. CAVEAT: I can't find my UK Nimbus pressing on the Virgin label and my Japan for Japan 32XD non-target pressing right now, but my memory tells me that at least the Japan for Japan 32XD is the same mastering.

For these Barry CD's in my collection, the total run time on my CD player ranges from "50:45" to "50:47". A couple of seconds of variation can be expected from that range.

The earliest CD pressing released in the U.S. was made by JVC Japan and will have "M" in the matrix and the inserts were printed in Japan. All other JVC Japan for U.S. pressing of this album on CD is slightly later but will sound the same.

Around the same time, WG Polygram manufactured "target" discs for the U.S. market and these have "01 #" in the matrix and the inserts were printed in West Germany. There is also a later "02" WG Polygram target discs but I have not heard them and assume that they are from Barry's mastering. There are also French MPO target pressings, as well as, German Alsdorf target pressings and I assume that they are from Barry's mastering as well. I know that LordThanos has all these target variations, and someone can ask him to verify.

All other CD pressings released in the U.S. are slightly later pressings. In the U.K., the earliest Nimbus pressing would be contemporaneous with the earliest U.S. CD release. The earliest pressing of Japan for Japan 32XD may also be contemporaneous. On the European WEA label, the earliest pressing would be the earliest WG Polygram "01 #" target pressing but I am not sure whether the earliest French MPO "01." target pressing is also contemporaneous.

In the U.S. market, the chronology after the earliest JVC Japan and WG Polygram pressings is as follows:

Daio Kosan Japan, CTA Japan and possibly Denon Japan in 1986. In the case of Denon Japan, they continued to manufacture at least until 1988, many of them for RCA record club.
    Laservideo and possibly DADC U.S. in 1986. In the case of DADC, they continued to manufacture at least until 1987, many of them for Columbia Record Club.
    WEA's SRC plant started manufacturing CD's of this album, most likely either late 1986 or early 1987, and continued throughout the 80's and probably beyond.

Every No Jacket Required that I have heard was made from the mid to late 80's and they all sound similar -- about 99% identical to each other.

With that said, however, my personal favorite is the JVC Japan for U.S. CD pressings, as the instruments have a tiny weeny bit more clarity, body and definition, a tiny weeny bit more detail and bass extension. Daio Kosan Japan for U.S. CD pressing sounds the closest to the JVC Japan CD pressings. Denon Japan for U.S. CD pressings sound the next closest to the JVC Japan.

If your home system has floor standing speakers that goes down to at least 50 Hz pretty flat, then your feet (from the vibration on the floor) should verify what I am saying about the bass extension. If your system is well placed for imaging/sound stage, you should be able to verify what I am saying about the detail, etc.

On the other hand, if your system is not what I am describing above, you may actually prefer the sound of the WG target, DADC and Laservideo CD's. The DADC and Laservideo CD pressings are in the middle of the sound spectrum between WG target and JVC Japan at opposite ends of the spectrum.

U.S. SRC plant pressings sound very nice but the earliest ones sound the best. If you find a copy with the matrix "0" plus another digit (for example, "04") WITHOUT any mother (M) and stamper (S) codes and without any bar code in the matrix, then it should sound almost on par with the JVC Japan.

I hope this helps.

Elpampeano, ispace, Dam and 3 others like this.
  17. @LordThanos1969

princesskiki likes this.
  18. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

CORRECTION! I screwed up because I relied on my bad memory.

I accidentally located my WG Polygram's third target CD mastering with the matrix ending "04 #" and it is NOT Barry's but rather just like the previous two CD mastering by WG Polygram.

Marc 74 likes this.
  19. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

20. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

I'll share what I have in my database. Note the booklet references Ian Cooper as the mastering engineer which is likely carried over from LP. I listed the information in a comma separated txt file such that can be imported into a spreadsheet. The information is what I currently believe to be accurate, but changes as I update information.

There is always some speculation on Barry Diament uncredited and miscredited masterings--I'm not sure all of them will ever be definitively identified. The EAC peak values can be used as a partial identifier for masterings. I'm not sure if they have ever been posted for this album, but I have included them. Perhaps someone else has input.

Thanks for all your work, it prompted me to go back and re-examine the 3 copies I own and make some minor corrections in my data.

Phil Collins--Hello, I Must Be Going!
    CSV Data Dump (3 CDs):

Artist,Release,Label,Cat # Disc,Cat # Spine,"Disc Label, Country",Mastered At,Mastered By,Series,Pressing,File Name Code,"Matrix1, Cat. No.","Matrix2, Work Order",M/S1,Country,Hub logo,CD Packaging,Barcode,EAC Audio Peak Levels of Tracks
    Phil Collins,"Hello, I Must Be Going!",Atlantic,"80035-2, 99263-2",80035-2,MADE IN U.S.A. BY WEA MANUFACTURING INC. (radial at 6 o'clock),Atlantic Studios (uncredited),Barry Diament uncredited,Warner by WEA; Warner rings; mastering miscredited as Ian Cooper in booklet,SRC G3 (1988-Sep 1990),"SRC G3, SRC+15",3 80035-2,SRC+15,M10S6,US for US,none,JC ribbed: 2 dots,022929926322,94.8 / 96.5 / 94.0 / 94.8 / 86.9 / 99.8 / 90.5 / 97.0 / 100.0 / 67.0
    Phil Collins,"Hello, I Must Be Going!",Atlantic,"80035-2, 99263-2",80035-2,MADE IN WEST [] GERMANY BY POLYGRAM (radial at 6 o'clock),The Town House (uncredited),Ian Cooper,"Target G2, PolyGram; red target on green;",PolyGram WG (Aug 1982-Jan 1986),"Target G2, PolyGram, 2893 045 03 #",7567 80035-2,2893 045 03 #,none,WG for US,silverfacehub,JC SMOOTH: 2 dots,022929926322,83.0 / 88.7 / 79.0 / 100.0 / 78.3 / 92.8 / 100.0 / 79.6 / 98.8 / 53.7
    Phil Collins,"Hello, I Must Be Going!",Atlantic,"80035-2, 99263-2",80035-2,MANUFACTURED BY VICTOR COMPANY OF JAPAN LTD. MADE IN JAPAN (radial at 6 o'clock),Atlantic Studios (uncredited),Barry Diament uncredited,Warner by Victor; Warner rings; mastering miscredited as Ian Cooper in booklet,JVC JP,"JVC, 80035-2R-V2E 21",80035-2R-,V2E,21,JP for US,none,JC SMOOTH: 2 long bars,075678003523,94.8 / 96.5 / 94.0 / 94.8 / 86.9 / 99.8 / 90.5 / 97.0 / 100.0 / 67.0

21. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

So the copies with 94.8 / 96.5 / 94.0 / 94.8 / 86.9 / 99.8 / 90.5 / 97.0 / 100.0 / 67.0 EAC values are Barry Diament masterings ? Matches my WG Target with 05 matrix ending (that one has issues on I Don't Care Anymore & Like China as posted above).

83.0 / 88.7 / 79.0 / 100.0 / 78.3 / 92.8 / 100.0 / 79.6 / 98.8 / 53.7 =
    WG Polygram Target with 01 and 04 endings & the Japanese 32XD-340

87.2 / 91.7 / 83.2 / 100.0 / 79.8 / 97.0 / 99.6 / 89.5 / 97.6 / 54.2 =
    German Teldec CD

86.1 / 92.3 / 83.3 / 95.7 / 89.8 / 98.8 / 97.7 / 95.5 / 92.1 / 67.6 =
    WG Polygram for UK Blueface (I Don't Care Anymore misses a bit of the first beat)

Total running times:

WG Polygram Target (o1 and 04 matrix endings) - 45:34
    Japan Target 32XD-340 - 45:35
    WG Polygram Target (05 ending) - 45:47
    German Teldec - 45:51
    WG Polygram for UK Blueface - 45:57

for comparison:
    Audio Fidelity Gold CD - 45:52
    2015 Remaster - 45:46

I listened to the Blueface yesterday and it contains quite some dead space between several songs so that should explain the different running times of the releases above.

PhantomStranger and princesskiki like this.
  22. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

That is my understanding. I'm sure I must have somehow relied on the many informative posts of HF members to determine this.

Princesskiki seems to agree.

23. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I purchased what I hope/hoped would be Barry's mastering of The Cure's The Head on the Door. Barcode is 075596043526, catalogue number is 9 60435-2, matrix number is 2 60435-2 SRC##06 M1S8, © ℗ 1985 Elektra/Asylum Records. The DR numbers are different to my Fiction Records pressing (042282723123, 827 231-2) but a cursory level matched EQ comparison of "A Night Like This" reveals them to be the same.

So, two questions:
    1. Is my USA disc actually Barry's mastering?
    2. Is Barry's mastering utilised across all original copies of The Head on the Door, perhaps with shifted levels?

mdm08033 likes this.
  24. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

George P, again you have done a great service with this impressive list. Although I listen to the Led Zeps more, the pick of the litter for me are those 3 CSN(Y) CDs. Just a joy to listen to.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Hi Dan,

To be clear, I only compiled the list more recently, building on the work of so many people that had come before me. So I'm very grateful for the work that they did. And most of all I am grateful for Barry Diament's masterings!